Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shredder posted:

What are the best games in this genre for multiplayer?

We've pretty much burned out on Satisfactory after ~200 hours, we've got supercomputers and turbo motors and nuclear power, just loving around with megafactories but the game is starting to chug and we're getting lots of crashes. Terraria we pretty much did everything. Astroneer I'm pretty sure we "finished".

Also, have you guys seen Dyson Sphere Program? Looks pretty good. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1366540/Dyson_Sphere_Program/

Factorio.
Factorio is the only multiplayer game in this genre that I can consistently play with other people.

Arguably in genre
Stardew Valley - manage a farm and fight/mine metal in caves
Don't Starve

Did Rimworld ever get multiplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zurai posted:

Ah, yes, the evils of continuing to make content for several-year-old games and having the audacity to charge money for part of that content.
Unironically agree.

Paradox's model of DLC leaves players with no way to opt-out. The part they "give" players for free is usually a new mechanic with new challenges. The intended way to address those new challenges is then locked inside the paid "DLC." This means I can't play the game I bought because they changed it out from under me. As a result, I've paid hundreds of dollars for each Paradox game I own and will never be able to play them again.

If anything, I prefer Total War Warhammer's DLC model. And I have a hard time believing I'm saying that about anything Warhammer related. But at least with them I can buy the DLC I want and ignore the DLC I don't (mostly, they still show up on the map as enemy factions I think).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rimworld is a tactics game with a bolted on management subsystem, not the other way around. That's why the combat is so good in it.

I'll agree that Factorio is better with biter combat.

I liked the Ceaser style combat. The walls and other fixed defenses provided an interesting challenge and made it clear how the military was a resource sink that had a negative impact on the rest of the city and society. More mobile units were very expensive, forcing the player to decide between building an army or delaying civilian/industrial improvements.

Most 4x games like Civ and Stellaris need combat. Their internal system mechanics aren't good enough to stand on their own without an external enemy to fight. Honestly, I'd almost rather see all the combat removed from those games. They combat layer is rarely well done. I'd much rather see all that effort spent on developing internal systems like political factions, revolts, radicalism, nobles hoarding power/wealth and the other internal threats that have historically prevented empires from infinitely expanding like you get to in 4x games. The current happiness/luxury mechanics many games have now feel forced and artificial. Does anyone know of an empire builder that focuses more on internal stability? I'd love to play something like that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Grevlek posted:

I saw Nookrium playing Stonehearth with a community mod. Anyone have any experience with that?

Regarding the feedback on military systems in these games: it seems like people enjoy when they are a good resource sink, or they require a trade-off with an economic cost for maintaining your troops. It seems like the actual method of 'controlling' the troops doesn't matter, if it was handled by a competent AI and the player was left to manage the 'supply' side of it, that would be fun. Wargamers want to start with a war game and add some light economy, and the management goons want a nice economic simulator with an escape hatch for excess resources.

I ask because I've been working on a game, ostensibly in the management/4x sphere. It's got big Stargate Vibes, where you start on an Earth-like planet with access to a portal, and you would send teams through the portal to explore/get resources/run story encounters. Somebody I am working on the game with, wants to go really hard into an 'Xcom' like battlescape to resolve any combat encounters, my preference is to sim them based on stats and preference settings. I loved Xcom growing up, but I always felt like the tactical combat 'slowed the game down' and it would be more realistic to have multiple strike teams engaged in simultaneous encounters. I'm hoping to convince this person that the simulation route is the way to go, so that we can run multiple 'teams' and focus on the expansion, but this dude is deadset on trying to add an Xcom battlescape.

Honestly, that sounds like a solid setup for an x-com game. Ya'll should either make a management game or an x-com game. Don't try to do both in the same game.

I don't like randomness in my management games. The less convoluted the tactical layer is, the better.

Conversely, it's always the strategic layer of x-com I get bored with. The missions stay fun a lot longer than messing around with satellites and radio towers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How's starship corporation? I've seen it in Steam a few times but never dug deep on it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Please dear god let us easily dispose of bodies permenantly, I am begging you :pray:

You already can, you just need a big enough freezer.

I also recall being able to incinerate the bodies somehow, although that was probably a kludge.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

It's weird. For me, Satisfactory really felt like it wanted me to handcraft things. There's a lot of stuff that you want in small units. Especially the first time you encounter them. It's frustrating, because you very definitely should automate things as much as possible, but Satisfactory feels like it pushes people away from that, even with how onerous hand-crafting is.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Philthy posted:

OMG I got two coal generators up and going and it's dwarfing the power output I had before. I have enough room to build about 20 if I need. No more running around and filling power generators by hand!

Oh you sweet summer child. You're going to want to build way more than 20 before you're done.

There's two more coal nodes in the same spot and there's no physics modeling so you can pave over the lake to build more generators. Have fun laying out 40+ coal generators by hand.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Played Timberborn until all my beavers died during the dry season. I love the aesthetics, but mechanically it's okay for a city builder. I guess.

Maybe Factorio has spoiled me, but I want the game to tell me the exact ratios I need. I want to know how many water pumps I need per Beaver. I want the game to tell me how many crops a farm beaver can handle. I want to know how much food my beavers need per day.

Above all, I want my science buildings to not need to be spammed by the dozen to unlock anything remotely fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hihohe posted:

A new gameplay preview of Evil Genius 2 is out

https://youtu.be/VUbNysdL5dw

Who thought it was a good idea to give gameplay footage to random nerds and have them narrate over it?

I couldn't make myself sit through the whole thing, but I didn't see anything that was a wild departure from the first game. Mostly a good sign I think.

Edit: Almost forgot. In the trailer we get a few seconds glimpse of what looks like a tech tree. In the first game, tech unlocks were handled by stealing things. Like a proper villain. A tech tree isn't necessarily bad, but I seriously doubt it's an improvement over the previous game's approach.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 8, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone understand Hundred Days - Winemaking Simulator? Even a little?

I tried playing through the demo tutorial and immediately went bankrupt. I have no idea what impact any of the decisions I made had on anything, except that there were a couple dials that all increased the tannin. I don't know if that's good or bad.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Marzzle posted:

any takes on "they are billions"? friend was talking about it but I haven't heard anything in here

It's an RTS. The single player campaign is the last thing they added, and I've never heard anyone describe it as fun. I certainly didn't find it so.

There's no multiplayer.

The core gameplay loop is wiping out zombies, building defenses in the newly cleared area, building resource generation buildings in the newly cleared area, building up the army so it is strong enough to fight the stronger zombies farther out, repeat.

The trick is that even the freeform maps are under a fairly tightly tuned time crunch, so you sometimes have to skip the building defenses part. If you skip the defenses for too long/in the wrong place/at the wrong time zombies destroy the resource generators you built and turn them into more zombies. Losing even one or two resource generators usually isn't survivable because of the newly spawned zombies.

For all that, I did enjoy playing the freeform map when it first came out. They've rebalanced things since, and the single player game was so aggressively unfun I wasn't tempted to try the freeform maps again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

That's the game first released in 2000, not a new one, right?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

zedprime posted:

I don't know how I haven't heard of Imagine Earth. It sounds exactly up my alley except I can't really tell what the gameplay is between the screenshots and videos on the store page. I'd check it out immediately if I wasn't already in the depths of an X4 and Anno 1800 binge and about out of mental capacity for new management.

Seems like a similar blindspot where I keep waiting for someone in the thread to have an opinion about Universim, any opinion at all.

I tried it briefly. It felt like a terrible Sid Meier's Civ game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Can anyone recommend good Rimworld or ACS videos? Started watching LPs over lunch recently and those games seem likely to produce entertaining watching.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

zoux posted:

Well, at least this weekend I think I'm gonna try out farming. (Though that ME remaster is calling my name >_> )

Is there a good farming game out there that is more like a city builder or colony manager? Farm sim 19 is obviously very popular but idk about the first person stuff.

Stardew Valley is the farming game. It is very much not a city builder so it may not be what you are currently looking for.

Surviving Mars and Rimworld are both enjoyable colony management games for very different reasons. Both involve dying a lot. SM because you did something wrong or Rimworld because the game is more a chaos generator than anything else. SM gets to be fairly relaxing mid-late game. Rimworld difficulty scales to and beyond your current level of success so is almost always tense.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Something else that people were super excited for then complete silence a few days after launch was evil genius 2. I imagine it wasn't very good otherwise people would be bringing it up.

It's bad. Even Quill18, who makes everything seem fun, spent as much time complaining during his stream as anything else.

The lead designer previously only worked in mobile "games" and the commitment to time-wasting is really obvious. Only now there's no premium currency to explain why your time is being wasted. It just is.

At first glance Evil Genius 2 manages to look okay, but after the first 10 hours it turns painfully soulless. All the Evil Geniuses have the exact same voiced dialogue. The hilarious/cringy thefts and radio voice-overs from the first game are completely gone, so even when you do get to do something that should be cool, it doesn't feel satisfying. It's just ticking another pointless checkmark.

There are some sequencing issues and bugs too. It's possible to lock yourself out of several things and the game does nothing to warn you about it ahead of time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

The real gut punch is that as an audience for the antfarm game community was all "I hope they change nothing about *core thing* and just update it to look slick with like 8 QoL improvements" then the devs did and it turns out there was some special sauce in the OG formula that cannot be recaptured or that thing was always ok.

I later saw the Augustus 3.0 mods as that QOL update for Ceasar 3 to be the pinnacle ideal for this philosophy of "just update the thing". I still lol that there is a Julius fork that is save game compatible with the original save files from the CD game.

Turns out the real Evil Genius was the friends we made along the way.

Basically all the core systems got a refresh in EG2. They fixed a few annoyances (adding incinerators to quickly get rid of body bags, yay!) but broke so many other things at the same time that it is a net negative.

Most of the problems are super obvious to anyone playing the game. How did they ship with that over world map? The problem isn’t that it is a sequel. It is just a bad game.

DSP and SV are proof it is possible to create a sequel to games in this genre that are still good. Even great.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

That's the way to play it IMO. Do a big playthrough with the main game only and see if you like it. All their games are perfectly fine without DLC. Then, when you want to play again, wait for a sale and buy 1 or 2 of the older DLC's on a sale, rinse and repeat.

Paradox's games are not fine without the DLC. Usually they release "free" updates alongside their paid DLC. There's no way to opt out of these updates and they almost always introduce new management problems. The tools to address these management problems are locked behind the DLC. It's a thorny trap and it aggravates me every time I am reminded that I can no longer play the game I paid for several times over.

I was very big into Paradox games for several years and I'll never buy another of their games.

Fhqwhgads posted:

It might not be a pure management sim, but has anything come out recently that comes close to to Recettear? I liked the hybrid shop ownership / dungeon crawling style.

Sadly, no.

Neither of these recapture the magic of Recettear, but they're the closest I can offer. Moonlighter is much more combat focused but otherwise has most of the same elements. The Atelier games are all about shop owners who also do a lot of fighting, so they might scratch the same thematic itch. The mechanics are so different that they feel pretty different to me. Still worth a look if you haven't tried one yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

This is completely incorrect, for many years now you've been able to roll back to previous versions via the Steam beta tab if you don't like an update.

Really? That's good news. I might have to see if I still remember how to play EU.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I was gonna add a pic, but imgur seems to be broke atm.

Assuming you mean EU4, if you want to play a version prior to 1.27 you need to enter the password "EU4R2JvakDKTJ8Cn" as it's pre-GDPR changes.

I do mean EU4. Thank you very much :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Been surprisingly pleased with Going Medieval so far. Haven’t hit any rough edges and the raid summary popups make that a much more exciting experience.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mayveena posted:

New management game, Imagine Earth.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/280720/Imagine_Earth/

Got way too much on my plate right now but if someone gets it, let us know if it's any good.

One of the handful of games I returned after trying. I don't remember it well, but I think the interface was aggressively opaque when I tried it months ago.

The "humor" was also not working for me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Having fun so far in Going Medieval, but I can't seem to move between Z levels. I should be able to use z/x, pge up/down, or ctrl + mouse wheel, but none of these do anything. Anyone know what's up?

You start well above the ground level Z level. Keep going down with the keyboard. You’ll see the difference eventually. Helps if you’ve built a wall or something that has a z level change.

At least that’s what tripped me up.

Z-levels change half a level at a time. Current level is visible somewhere on the UI. I forget where.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

explosivo posted:

I hope we get some sort of news from the devs sooner than later, I know it's only been a week but it would be nice to know what timeframes we're looking at for getting some small patches that fixes stuff like trebuchets being laser guided accurate.

Edit: Oh they literally put out a small hotfix today.

Sadly, no trebuchet fix.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

Anyone here recommend Foundation or can provide a pro’s vs cons for me?

Run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHYmvUA0Y9c

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Poil posted:

Sure but it's not really completely from scratch if it's been done before so they know it is possible and could look up how it was done to get some ideas even if they obviously can't copy&paste the code. I know computers crashes way less frequent these days (for example do you remember windows 98?), computers don't take minutes to boot up and you can look up a ton more programming resources online than back then so if anything it should be easier to get it done now.

Developers can’t do the “look up how it was done” part. Our code is all owned by companies, who as a rule, get very angry if we try to share it with anyone. The situation is even worse than most engineering disciplines where at least the patent system means other people can see what approach you took. Software is, generally, not patentable, so “IP” is “protected” via extreme secrecy.

Honestly it’s a miracle that any software works at all. Here’s a very eloquent description of software development https://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anything good in the Steam Sale?

The original Evil Genius is under $3. I'm probably going to buy it, again, and play it for at least the sixth time. Game is good, not a fan of the sequel though.

DSP has a slight discount, which is reasonable. It's a relatively recent release.

Stardew Valley is a great price right now if you've somehow managed to miss the best game of the last decade.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I hope this doesn't spark a debate, because I don't really want to have a discussion about the politics or whatever of this.

BUT!

I can't really enjoy Factorio anymore, I know I've already given him my money, I know that technically me playing the game does nothing to support him or not, but I can't help thinking about how lovely this person is every time I launch the game. It's not even a political thing, I'm sure most of the other games I play are also made by bastards, but they're not loud about it, and at this point I just want to follow whatever makes me feel less lovely.

So I'm trying to decide between Satisfactory, which when I last played had like trucks? And Dyson Sphere Project. I got into Factorio at the 1.0 release, and I can't decide which one to play. I'm also taking suggestions, I don't like the villager management games like ONI or Rimworld, I really like the production line stuff, putting down 15 widget makes, to mix with the 8 trucknuts to make 2 truckfucklers you know?

You want DSP.

DSP is better than either of these, but you said you wanted other suggestions so:
I've heard reasonably good things about Big Pharma if you like production lines.
You may also enjoy Opus Magnum. It's mostly a puzzle game where each "level" is creating the system of inserters and inserter commands to make one specific thing using only the materials provided.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Splicer posted:

Now that you say that, what are some good two player co-op management games? If any?

Stardew Valley.
Pumpkin Days if you don't mind the user interface.

Kingdoms: Two Crowns.

Anno doesn't do anything for me, but I know a lot of people like it and some of the versions of it have co-op multiplayer.

Satisfactory would be good if they've fixed the horrendous mulitplayer bugs. Stuff like invisible, teleporting aliens was still common last time I checked.
I used to say Factorio, but it turns out one of the devs is a giant shitheel.

I've found that most people who enjoy management games, also enjoy survival games. In which case I'd recommend either Valheim or Don't Starve as good co-op entries to the genre.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How do people feel about Rise of Industry?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257170/Rebuild_3_Gangs_of_Deadsville/ is a very simple but surprisingly fun little base builder. It was released on Steam 5 years ago, but is older than that since it started as a flash game somewhere else.

Steam says I put 50 hours into it the first time I played it, and I've put another 10 in recently after rediscovering it in my steam backlog.

You are given command of a small group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse. Using worker-placement type mechanics, you have to balance keeping zombies cleared away from the walls, expanding into new territory, feeding everyone, and finding time to construct more useful buildings. Every map after the first one also has 2 NPC survivor groups that you can interact with. All the systems are shallow and simple, but it's still surprisingly satisfying to watch the numbers go up and slowly push the zombie apocalypse back. Unlike DF and Rimworld likes, your survivors are rarely a major source of problems.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bpq4AeBs_A

Oh hey, I was just saying I like city builders with resource systems...hopefully this one will be fun. The basics seem honestly sorta anno like (right down to wood/bricks/steel being your building resources) but obviously foregoing fertilities and combat.

Looks like a cutesy version of Workers and Resources. It also looks like the current version automates transport, which was the main thing stopping me from getting into Workers and Resources.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

smarxist posted:

this level was a marathon, maybe 3-4 hours of building stuff together and waiting for things to cobble together

am i really bad at planning in this game or are the scenarios pretty long?

They feel kind of long to me. I kept getting traffic jams in the second level, so the first thing I did in the third was rip everything out to make room for big wide streets.

They're really effective as tutorials though.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 7, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

zedprime posted:

Unless I missed something, happiness is like Factorio speed modules. It increases how many work units are given per worker assigned to a building, effectively increasing cycle rate. Only applies to buildings in the town limits. Your walking laborers and wagons work or move at a fixed rate based on the type of agent it is.

And the surface they’re moving on. Roads make a big difference.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Factory Town encourages the most delightfully ridiculous solutions

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What's the point of multiple town centers in Factory Town? As far as I can tell, new town center's don't increase the number of houses you can place. You can also only link each house to one Town Center.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

A little further into Factory Town and I guess it’s a decent enough time sink. The terrain elevation system combined with terrible autopathing when you lay belts/chutes/roads and spending 20 minutes trying to make road ramps over one spot is infuriating though.

I’ve found autopathing to be reasonably intelligent. If you build a pillar it’ll create ramps up to it for you if possible in the space you provide. If you draw it across two high points, it’ll build a floating bridge.

Admittedly, it does default to ramping down to the lowest elevation if you don’t give it a reason not to, and it won’t automatically ramp over other paths/conveyors/chutes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mayveena posted:

When my son and I play co op, I'm the person who goes out and finds the alternate recipes (some of which are literally game changing; not sure how I feel about that btw) and then he does the building. What I love about Satisfactory is walking about all my machines and seeing my creation make all the poo poo. The game reminds me so much of Mouse Trap, an extremely limited version that I played to death as a child. Having the whole thing come together to make stuff feels very powerful to me. More than in Factorio, Factorio feels so dry and calculated.

Because the alternate recipe locations are the same every game and the recipes themselves are the same, they feel like busy work instead of accomplishments. They need to re-think how they implement them in my opinion.

Is what recipe you get still randomized?

The last time I played, the recipe drop locations were static, but what you got was randomized every game, or randomized when analyzed. Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a mechanic that could be interesting, especially in a game that didn't expect you to play 800 hours on one map. In something like Mindustry or some of the Factorio mods that have you visiting new maps having to find and choose different, actually balanced unlocks for each of them could be a cool concept.

Honestly seems like you could build a game around the idea that you will randomly have different base unlocks, then pools of accessible random unlocks, and finally expensive tech unlocks if you really need to fill a gap in the options you have. Having to completely reimagine production is fun, so long as you can have enough knowledge of what your options are now and what they will be in the future.

I believe that game is called Slipstream.