Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

xzzy posted:

Hammerting might be worth a look in a week when it hits full release. Reviews are pretty bad on steam right now but it's scratched an itch for me, it's a super chill dig up a mountain, craft some poo poo, then sell the poo poo to people outside your mountain.

I don't know if the full launch is going to have any feature updates, my one big complaint with the game is there's almost no coverage or community for it. Fortunately it's not very complex, as long as you overproduce food it feels impossible to lose (because cooks will happily bake your last seeds, generating an irritating restart your farm from scratch problem).

I picked it up in the last few weeks, and apparently I have 21 hours in the game now and definitely scratch an itch to watch stuff go by while drinking coffee. There's definitely some major systems like food (and possibly limits on green jelly for dwarven embassy missions) that are frustrating and need some more controls and ideally some way to buy more if you run yourself out of seed stock, or go the OG dwarf fortress way and have the processes that consume food create seeds up to some max. Similarly I'm not sure what I can reasonably sell, and what I can't. Metal ores better than Iron/Copper (all my tracks) but less than Mithril seem to be a good idea, I get enough of them and high enough value to sell.

Food I think I "solved" this morning by cooking the custom meals using only food (beets) and drink (one of the high end alcohols that also uses wine) that I can make from nothing, it's good enough for a bonus vs the bad modifier from eating sugar beets constantly. Unlocking all the other various options of meals didn't mean anything because I never had the materials to make most of them.

The metal materials and smithing I struggle to fully understand prior to building something, I'm not sure to tell how resilience etc play in to the actual final product and have made upgrades for certain equipment that in the end, weren't.

I haven't hit the fiery place just yet, I blundered in to some spawning area whose spiders are 3x as strong by value as a bit higher than it and had all my (non-high-end weapon/armor) dwarves get killed by it, so I reloaded from an earlier autosave and have been exploring more horizontally for now. I've also had decent luck by building an entirely separate set of manufacturing/food plant very deep along my elevator rail and then in both there and my main area using the 'keep X in building storage' option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU