Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Funny that starship corporation was mentioned the other day. Last night I was thinking about Clockwork Empires and remembered there was an achievement that was listed at 0.0% on steam (kill 1k dodos) and went looking on tracker sites to see if anyone had it. I found exactly 1 person that claims to have platinumed the game. Clockwork Empires is apparently pulled from steam now as well. So I looked through my other steam games for achievements with 0.0% and there are a couple for starship corporation. I was idly thinking about trying to get them before remembering how many issues that game has.

That’s my management game story, been busy playing Sniper GW contracts to learn W&R right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

CWE was pulled? Glad I still have my copy. Heck I'm still friends with a few of the devs. I should fire it up someday.

Per dev request, according to steam. It was really shaping up to be a solid game but I could only play a few hours before the issues made me drop it & I haven’t touched it since 2016.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There are a few mechanics in the first couple days of a frostpunk game that let you cheese the difficulty if you understand them & they’re necessary for the hardest starts. Some of the guides might be old as well, because they patched some things that made the hard starts easier, like at release there were only a couple checks during the night for people to get too cold, so you could run the heat for like 4 hours in the first 24 and guarantee nobody got sick which is a huge leg-up from what you’d expect.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I edited and added another tip, I should get back into frostpunk and finish my impossible runs.

I put a bunch of hours in at launch and haven’t touched it since, and now I kinda want to watch people play the hard difficulty stuff. Do you know of any youtube channels that might have that somewhere in their backlog?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is it still the case that picking a narrator other than Randy will eventually cause you to be attacked by too many enemies that are too strong to survive? Is that what people are talking about? I haven't played in a few years, but it does seem like the best way to play Rimworld is to learn the ropes then add on 100 mods you want to make it more fun.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Grevlek posted:

Anyone play Ruinarch?

Reviews are generally positive, but it's in early access. Looks like a DungeonKeeper/Rimworld mashup?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/909320/Ruinarch/

It's fine, it's fun and designed around making a story rather than a challenge to break a human settlement. I bought it a while ago and come back every month or two to see what's changed and it's reasonably fun for ~5-10 hours baseline and more if you want to give yourself goals. You're essentially a malevolent force that's trying to stay hidden and slowly break down the "good" town nearby. I really wanna stress that if you're going specifically for a challenge, it wasn't there when I played last. It's trivial to afflict villagers with vampirism and watch a misery-death spiral.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also nice that for virtually every complaint you can think of for Rimworld, there is a mod to fix it, or a mod to add it in...

I want to get back into it, but I haven't read the thread in several years so I've been putting it off for a while lol.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Speak of the Surviving Games and they shall appear.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Grevlek posted:

*edit - classic Grevlek afterthought - I haven't played surviving mars in at least two calendar years. It's probably much improved, but I haven't had the chance to revisit it.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Last time I played it was with everything except this newest pack.
It didn't improve.

Yeah, I started a new game last year and got to Sol 70 before getting too bored to continue. I came back to it last week and I'm chewing through any problem with ease and I'm astonished they never improved research rates because the early game is such a slog while you're just waiting to finish a few techs. Now I'm just sitting here waiting for the mystery I rolled to progress (Last War) and researching wonders I'll never build. Terraforming is interesting, but requires massive investments to make it faster than 100 sols and you'll just be speeding it up to 50-80 sols before you're done.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Megazver posted:

You could also buy Legend of Keepers with the coupon. It seems to be a hybrid management/roguelite game. Has anyone tried it?

I bought it when it was first available and it was "fun, but not quite all there" at the time. Not in the least that runs took too long for my taste, several hours. It's probably better now because the devs clearly had an idea and were working hard to keep a high level of polish on everything they did.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Grevlek posted:

I really want to like this game, but I'm getting Clockwork Empires vibes.

It really looks like they just wanted to copy rimworld at first, with the noable addition of z-levels. Research also goes faster, which is very nice because the characters are all secretly DF dwarves and you can’t make alcohol till you research it. But I really like that you create a library to house all your research pretty organically.

Even if they stopped working on it now it’s a much better game than Clockwork Empires is. God, what a mess Clockwork Empires was.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

BrianRx posted:

What does that mean in the context of a company that makes video games? Just that they're a worker-owned co-op? Or do they actually live together and stuff?

The Glory Society, started after NitW, is ~4 people who get paid the same amount and have a flat hierarchy. They’re a worker-owned co-op, yeah. Scott Benson has given a couple interviews on it, if you want to know more.

e: I've been playing Banished at 1x speed (almost no pausing) and putting it up on a youtube channel just as a fun little thing to do, the videos are intermittent because my work picked up last year and hasn't let off but there's still 15 years of Banished up right now and a 4x speed of the first decade. It's here for those that might be interested.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 22, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Deeply upset that I had a similar idea for a game and got busy with work for two years! Absolutely going to buy this though, it looks good. Thanks for bringing it to the thread.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

BrianRx posted:

I was anxious every moment I played the game. It feels like death spirals can be kicked off (or become evident) out of nowhere. It's not quite spinning plates, but you definitely needs to keep your eyes on your inventory, labor distribution, and population age. Especially with food, supplies fluctuate so much annually it's easy to miss long term trends and by the time you start getting notifications that something is low, it's too late to do anything about it.

I haven't played in several years and usually started a new colony as soon as I got stable with trade, so that may not be the case or experience anymore. It's fun though and I'd recommend it too.

I've been doing an on-again off-again playthrough of Banished on 1x speed with basically no editing, and I've completed 15 years so far. I'm basically stable and fine at this point, so I've kinda petered off doing it, but I want to make it to year 20 at least so once life settles down I'll do that push. I made a 4x speed version of the first decade after the year 10 video on that channel as well. It's an extraordinarily long tutorial for the hardest difficulty, in a sense.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

This post made me feel really old when I realized I had no loving idea what any of this is.

The more general term you’ve probably heard is “market game” because most, but not all, games like this have some way of trading gold cubes for wood cubes or whatever.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I started Going Medieval last summer…

I did too, and I don’t have answers for you because I haven’t played it in a while either, but your notes sound right. Really just echoing this post because I was thinking about picking it up again soon.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mayveena posted:

You start with a bucket and a shovel right in Hydroneer? You use the shovel to put dirt into the bucket yes? Unable to get this to happen reliably sadly. Not necessarily an abled person.

The first 15 minutes of Hydroneer are strangely difficult to figure out. You don’t put the dirt in the bucket, it goes into the pan. People that haven’t played Hydroneer might think it’s stupid to spell it all out, but I came back to it a month or so ago and was reminded that I really struggled with the whole process at first, partly because I didn’t know whether left-clicking or hittingg ‘e’ was correct. You do the process so much that it gets second nature eventually. The process is this:

1) Pick up shovel with ‘e’
2) left-click some dirt, the shovel will grab it.
3) left-click on the inside of the pan. If you’re at an angle and aimed too high, the shovel will place the dirt on the ground next to the pan.
4) hit ‘e’ to drop the shovel
5) pick up the bucket with ‘e’
6) drop the bucket in the river and then pick it back up, with water.
7) walk next to the pan, then look down. Ensure the blue dot is inside the pan and left-click to dump the water where the blue dot is. Now you have dirt and water in the pan.
8) drop the bucket and grab the brush (‘e’)
9) left-click on the dirt to brush it, this removed the dirt and water, leaving you with a gold nugget or whatever.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Manyorcas posted:

Is there any reason to play the retail version of 2 versus the openrct2 version, or is it generally a strict upgrade/modernization?

Co-op though :eyepop:

Not that you would notice. There are some changes and bugfixes that mean trying to do certain challenge runs in openrct2 is more difficult or impossible, but nothing you would ever normally run into. There’s a youtube channel I can’t link right now, Marcel Vos, that’s great if you’re interested in the mechanics or fun stuff to do.

e: https://www.youtube.com/c/MarcelVos is the channel, it's great.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 8, 2022

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Banished is also notable for being tantalizingly close to a great game. Something like 50% of the people who play it end up saying "I want to make a game that's a flat improvement on Banished, I have so many ideas." It's kinda clear when you play that the dev had a more-or-less finished product and was either burnt out or needed money or similar and so he released Banished in early 2014 and intended to update it, but ended up doing a few rounds of bugfixes. The dev said he was working on a sequel in 2018 and posts a devblog every once in a while, but I wouldn't expect it for another few years.

I started a new game of Banished this weekend and ran into some of the worst luck I've ever seen. Year 24 on hard my colony was doing exceptionally well, just about to cross over 100 population so I finished construction of a second school and mused "you're practically done when you build a second school" when a tornado touches down right next to my town, rips through my barns and kills ~45 people. I have no stored food and I just lost 1/2 my pop, so I frantically fix everything up and I get my first ever starvation deaths, two people that were on long jobs and didn't make it back to a food source before dying.

during the tornado, you can see the path was basically from north through the SE, destroying several houses and barns, the ruined building just east of the stockpiles is a church, ouch!

the population drop. You can see some of the devastation to the north-east

Five years later things are going well and we're climbing back to about 70 people when another tornado forms. In banished, tornadoes are a type of disaster that can befell your colony and they are the most rare. The other disasters are things like a sickness spreading that can be stopped with a hospital, or an infestation in a crop field that will ruin that crop and might jump to other fields of the same type. These are annoying, but with proper planning you can essentially negate them. Tornadoes are generally a once every 20 or so years event and they often just spawn in the corner of the map and move threateningly towards the center, but dissipate before doing anything. So when this second tornado forms just south of my town, I pause and laugh for a minute.

It meanders north and flattens my school, one fishing dock, and some of my rebuilt houses. I lose another 20-25 people, including all my students. This is dangerous because of the way Banished works. I will not have any new adults for several years. The dock is unfortunate, but with less people I don't have to worry as much about food. The houses complicate things even further though, because now I'm going to have several houses with old widows and widowers (survivors from the first tornado) who will not have any children and the young couples can't move into a new house to start families. There's a way around this, but it's cheaty, so instead of doing that (set a house to demolish so the occupants leave, then remove that order so new people will move in) I throw everyone on gathering stone immediately and a crop of new houses are built. After enduring the die-off of the oldest folks and celebrating the first school graduations in several years...
a third tornado hits, demolishing the trade posts but only killing the two traders. It did hit each of my animal pens, killing all my cows and sheep, and almost all my chicken. Not the worst, but now I have no stone and can't really trade for more till several years out. This happened 8 years after the first tornado. I'm now 20 years after the first tornado and I've just crossed the 100 population marker, but I still haven't managed to get any more cattle from traders, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man, now I might have to install Colonial Charter again because the tricks and systems they had to build like, way more dense towns and things were really neat off of the base Banished engine.

I looked at the banished reddit the other day and apparently there's a mega mod they all use now. I was going to take a look and see what it all does, but maybe someone here has experience with it.