Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

HopperUK posted:

Looks like Academia got its 1.0 release. Is it worth the ten quid? Much fun to be had?

Which game is this? All I can see is something from 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Apparently "Nebuchadnezzar" was also victorian english slang for Penis

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Management game joke!

Congratulations Kirby and Mrs. Kirby!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Zurai posted:

Might be worth it just to hear Brian Blessed hamming it up.

My latest RPG character is a russian professor who looks like Brian Blessed so gonna steal his voice acting

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Does anyone know a good village/base buildre (maybe bordering on 4X) where you can play a necromancer, build a dark and foreboding tower, craft terrible artifacts of lost magics, and then raise vast hordes of the undead to gently caress up men and elves and dwarves and also eagles?

Idk if I'm looking for "reskinned x-com" or "Rimworld but fantasy themed and also vastly expanded", right now trying to scratch that itch with Oddworld

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

You aren't specifically a necromancer (though I think there is a "raise dead" spell) but have you tried War for the Overworld?

I haven't, from the look of it it's basically Dungeon Keeper but new. Is there lot of venturing out and interacting with the world, or is it all waiting for the heroes to come to you?

Should I be looking at dwarf fortress? What else is out there?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Hihohe posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/329970/KeeperRL/
KeeperRL might be up your alley. Gotta build a dungeon with traps and what not. You can research spells and recruit all kinds of goblins and orcs. if you want undead create a graveyard and steal away bones to create skeletons zombies and mummies. Or you can summon demons or use infernal sciences to create hideous mutants.

You can send your minions to go out and destroy towns and enemy creatures and get rewarded for doing so.

Well there goes the next month of my life!

(Thank you this looks like almost exactly what I was thinking of!)

Azhais posted:

Can you slap imps to death to make vampires

Dear god I hope so

e: feel free to keep throwing suggestions at me though

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 9, 2021

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Unfortunately it’s incredibly shallow. I’ve been looking for a similar game as the other person, and I’ve come up with nothing that’s really the theme I want and a good game.

Well I just bought it as a birthday present to myself, so guess I'll be finding out about mods for it

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Have you tried Rimworld of Magic?

Combined with one of the mods that let's you conquer other settlements that should get you most of what you are wanting I think.

You could even get the Z levels mod for an (extremely shot :v:) tower.

E: Or the Necromancer class in Age of Wonders?

I have not, but gonna get those mods, thanks!

Also I was hoping for something a little more granular and narrative than AoW, and also AoW3 doesn't let you play as a necromancer and blight the earth and *aggrieved grumbling*

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

My dude get a mouse that doesn't click. Keep it in your drawer, it can be taken out for ~cookie time~

I can't play games anymore. I'm just watching games during newborn night poop watch and playing ost's as lullaby's.

Speaking of... Endless Space 2 is a management game where you manage one man, Horatio, across an entire galaxy. You could play as the boring humans for production, carvers for extermination, tig ol bitty lizard ladies for economics. Out of all the 4x games it has the most beautiful production I've seen in the field. The AI will never be a challenge so if you make it past the early game turn 50 pirate rush you can Next Turn the rest of the game away.

The soundtrack is SO GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9n1CANQO0

Did they make an all-Horatio dating sim, or am I misremembering?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Can anyone recommend a decent browser-based management game I can play while convincing myself I'm going to get to work any minute now?

Something like villagerkings.com

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone got an opinion on Odd Realm yet?

I've had some fun with it, still feels a bit bare bones but stuff is being added, and a research tree is apparently planned

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

There was a series of crafting games on Kongregate that I can't remember the name of in the mould of "hire various crafters, run a shop for adventurers, buy upgrades and more advanced recipes" that I wasted WAY too much time on. The second one had a whole town you had to upgrade with other players, and the third went into mobile tap mode; does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

e: Shop heroes, except I s2g there were earlier editions

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 9, 2021

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I guess I'm looking for a crafting/exploration game that's not Astroneer. I have nearly 2,000 hours in Astroneer and I'm getting a little tired of it. Maybe Valheim? But I'm always dying in Valheim. Is the crafting good in Valheim? I could just keep practicing at staying alive if it's really good.

Is Astroneers the one that's "plug solar panel into habitat" or the one that's "build solar panel, build cable, design power management system for battery, set rotation of solar panel"? Always get confused between that and Space Engineers

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

No-one's going to haul coal on cycles 84 or 85 either

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

MrYenko posted:

“Motherfucker have you heard about COCAINE!?!?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2m6i4KFqg

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

require communal help

:ussr:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

smarxist posted:

such a crazy fart and piss manager

Mods

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Train signals but in space when

There's probably a Kerbal mod, ask in the KSP thread

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Here are some lists from Steam regarding management games that folks might be interested in.

https://club.steam250.com/tag/255534 (Top automation games)
https://steam250.com/tag/base_building (Top base building games)
https://steam250.com/tag/crafting (Top crafting games

Of course there is some overlap. If people think these links are valuable I can add them to the OP.

I got a thesis to do goddammit, I can't just disappear and become a games hermit for months

........can I?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

I defiantly got a pod of dolphins to sentience in that game

Did you give them nuclear weapons though, comrade Posadas?

Come to think of it, some kind of super unhinged Posadaist game would be amazing

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

How come nobody done a managed game about you controlling a colony of city rats? I feel like there's some real potential in that idea.

Dodging pest control and stray cats while expanding to new takeaways and bins, eventually forming the Rat King of London/NY?

I'd play it

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

Clanfolk is coming out soon too which looks promising

Thought you said Clamfolk, was looking forwards to some mollusk management

This looks cool too

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

chainchompz posted:

I'm not sure if it was asked and covered in this thread or another genre specific megathread but how is Song of Syx? It's still in Early Access so every time I check my wishlist I hesitate because I've been burned on that before. Is it near finished or finished but awaiting a few QoL improvements before full release?

It has its own thread, so it's good enough to keep people on the hook for at least that long!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972665

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I misread what the game wanted me to do. Once I got past that I now have a battery permanently stuck to my mouse. So I guess I'll be starting over again.

Physically?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got Oxygen Not Included and I'm having fun but I am not sure what the gently caress I am doing and I'm constantly struggling to maintain enough resources for...anything other than these dirt/water bars my colonists keep barfing up because it's gross (and I just unlocked the device that lets you DEEP FRY these loving things)

but it's somehow a lot of fun?

I'm constantly worried I'm exploring too much and it's going to be like terrarria and suddenly there's a bunch of enemies coming to kill all my unarmed settlers

also getting them to pick up items off the floor even marking them up to a yellow alert they're just like "yeah i'm not doing that bitch" Like, you have a chest that isn't full you can put this poo poo away so I can see whatever else is on the ground

To the best of my knowledge, you won't have to deal with raiders. You WILL have top deal with hostile biomes and probably not being able to oxygenate everything you dig out, so take your expansion slow and steady.

Also the starting chest is just for rations, you need to build some storage for other materials

I have a lot of fun with it though

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Or right by pollution sites since it's already hosed?

This Is Not A Place Of Handwashing

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Playing more Odd Realm, this time as ancients, basically liches so I can just ignore food, water, air, etc so I've dug out a nice little lair. Game feels very driven by mechanics and dry though. Like I'm just doing busywork to advance tech.

Yeah I feel the same. Like once you have your dark tower, there's not a lot to fill it with, so you're just digging deep and fending off the occasional badly equipped human raid

Game is in active development though, with updates every few months or so, so maybe there'll be more, but once you have a library you can write as many tomes as you need to just go through the entire tech tree

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

skooma512 posted:

The school years I feel move too fast, in contrary to what others said. I'm almost always limited by money and that only comes at month end. So I get money, spend it all as fast as possible, and I'm just waiting for more.
Pathfinding can be a little janky. I had like a dozen people college wide just standing in place with a ??? over their heads for an entire school year and the 4 pages of stats on each character never explained the "where do they want to go and why can't they go?" part. ...

Like I said, I can know what kind of jam like they like on their toast, but the game will not tell me why people's pathfinding and scheduling are broken or what I need to go and resolve. Is a lab set up to block people from using it? hosed if I know, but I know everyone's jam preferences and who their BFFs are.

TBF this has been my experience of higher education

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I understand that. It's a hole in the ground, what are you going to do, rip out all the wooden supporting struts and run for the entrance before the walls collapse?

Just move the hole, duh

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

AG3 posted:

With lipstick on?

If you research lipstick, sure

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

10) Crashes are not nearly impactful enough on the cars involved. I would estimate 20% of crashes end up with a car's retirement. It's not uncommon for a car to have a full speed crash into a wall and lose only 5-7 positions. Massive multicar crashes almost never result in more than one car being retired. Crashed cars often pit for a new front wing and are on exactly the same pace afterwards that they were at before.

Is someone going to write a Blues Brothers mod?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

I once saw a goon melt down by posting the entirety of War and Peace, so the bar is pretty high

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or they need to learn how to fight wolves.

If you send the babies to fight the wolves the problem is getting solved one way or the other

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Everyone should stop loving wolves IMO

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Anyone playing Odd Realm? It looks like a sort of Rimworld Lite and I really like the pixel art, it's very well done. And it's cheap at the moment.

I've been enjoying it. It still feels a bit early access but decent content updates are in the pipeline, especially on the public beta branch if you're impatient

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

LordSloth posted:

Thanks! Sounds like I might pick it up before the small launch discount expires.

FYI, if you're trying to run it on Linux you need to fiddle with Proton a bit, it doesn't run natively

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Does the aggressive beaver tribe sneak into their neighbour's houses and just eat the last page of the books?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Mine is a village builder where you start with 1 or 2 unique people and work your way from "what am fire?" to a space program

so Kittens game if it was rimworld maybe? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Have you tried The Universim yet? It’s almost out of Early Access

https://store.steampowered.com/app/352720/The_Universim/

Honestly the graphics and the seemingly small globe are a bit offputting, how crunchy is it?

Also does "Early Access" even mean anything any more?