Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mayveena, can you add Francis John to the list of recommended Youtubers? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk6C1z_ErW4XssWUdDSfV7Q

He covers multiple management games including Rimworld, Factorio, ONI, Shipbreaker, ... and I find his videos very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Grevlek posted:

I also like managing games

Welcome! Come and fail to build trains with us!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

We need to start this thread with the truth and Surviving Mars operates on a scale proportional to actually terraforming mars.
:emptyquote:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm going to make a Homesteading thread. If people could IM me suggested games, I'll make up an OP. Don't want to workshop it in Mayveena's Management thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My basic list of homesteading games is

Stardew Valley
Slime Rancher
My Time At Portia
Ooblets (early access; twee and overcute but definitely a farmsteading game)
Animal Crossing
Graveyard Keeper
MicroTown
Doraemon: Story of Seasons
Farming Simulator (thanks, I was wondering which of these to put; are there others?)
?? Farm for your Life

Many of these have their own threads, which will be linked to.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Azhais posted:

It's a lot better with the mod that effectively removes the entire mining minigame

Awesome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Anno posted:

Is there a good YouTube/twitch channel to learn about ONI? I feel like it’s the one of these I want to try next after my 100something hours in Rimworld but I’d like to learn about it first.
Francis John is by far the best IMHO. He talks fast, and he has a series of bite-sized intros that are awesome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Relevant to a couple of the games in this thread:

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1346607866996670464

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dorfromantik is delightful, but I'm bad at inferring the rules. Still amazingly soothing as a break from The Tenants, which I wish I could recommend at this stage of EA, but can't honestly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Does anyone here know anything about 'The Colonists'?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/677340/The_Colonists/

It's fun. The robots and the things they move around are adorable. There is a fixed quest path that you work through, but there is also free play, as well as monthly challenges I enjoy it. The most tedious part is tinkering the sea routes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm finding it really frustrating trying to determine when a building is successfully hooked up to a road and when it isn't. So many times I draw the road, only to find that when I click on the end, there' s a thin white line between the building's road and the road I built.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

One of my favorite things about Voxel Tycoon is that I can have subfleets assigned to the "Wood to St. James" run, and I can edit what that means on the fly and redirect everything. Even in Early Access, Voxel Tycoon is the first train-and-transport game I've played that just worked. I've gotten very frustrated by Railroad Tycoon because I found it so maddening trying to connect up trains.

One thing that frustrated me until I figured it out: When you're trying to connect a road to another road, be sure to move your cursor back and forth until only the end of the existing road is selected: the cursor changes from a green square to a green line. When you see that green line, you can make a connection without winding up with that maddening little white gap between Road A and Road B. Furthermore, for the buildings that show up with a small segment of road attached, you cannot connect another road to the middle of that segment, as you might want to do when leveling your traffic grid.

e: I just want to buy 5 trucks at a time, dammit, without cycling through that set of menus for each one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Grevlek posted:

I missed this entirely during the tutorial. How does this work?!

Yeah, the Early Access tutorial is definitely an Early Access tutorial. I strongly recommend joining the Discord (linked from the game) to get basic help on anything beyond driving trucks around.

You create named routes like this.

1. Create a route for a truck. It is labeled as "Individual Route".
2. Add a stop to the route. Note that immediately to the right of "Individual Route" appears "+Save As".
3. Keep adding stops to the route until you're happy.
4. Click "+Save As". Sometimes the route name will be autofilled as "[Product] to [Town Name]". Sometimes it will not. I know not why.
5. Save the name.

The next time you buy a truck, when it's time to set the route, click "Individual Route". You'll get a dropdown that lets you pick a route from all the currently existing routes.

To change an existing named route, click any truck that's on that route, then click Edit; changes you make to the named route will propagate to all other trucks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Awesome. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Bought voxel tycoon last night and played for a few hours. Really enjoying so far and agree that for some reason it just feels better than RoI. Only thing I’m finding annoying is road building, specifically intersections and joining roads to my depots.

Same. Key issues:

* If you're starting from the existing road, make sure that the cursor is the thin green line, not the wide green square. The wide green square means the game thinks you're creating a new road.

* Bridge-to-road intersections often gently caress up. When you create one, do a 360 rotate to make sure there are no unconnected roads (recognizable by small white lines between the road and the thing you think it's intersecting).

* Spend the money on terraforming when you are having trouble getting two roads to connect. Putting everything on the same level helps a lot.

I've filed a bug asking them to put a large marker on intersections that aren't intersecting (should be recognizable by roads near each other with a white line).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The devs (they respond very quickly to Github) have said there is still substantial work to be done on the road pathing, and have noted the specific example I gave as a bug.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm doing goonbuttes, dammit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've been playing Spiritfarer (beautiful, wrenching, definitely recommend) and the devs' tagline is "Spiritfarer is a cozy management game about dying. " This seems misleading to me. Yeah, you grow plants to cook recipes, and mine resources to build parts of the ship, but that's where it ends. These things are gateways to the plot, rather than being ends in themselves.

Anybody disagree?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm having a lot of fun in Going Medieval. It's pretty, you get to do the usual build/farm/mine/fight, and in general it scratches that Rimworld itch but without mods (big difference) and with half-realistic characters and scenery.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I love Going Medieval, but it's definitely at the buy it, play 20ish hours, put it away for a month stage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll give you no subtitles, but windowed mode > borderless. It'd be nice if games had both, but if I had to pick one I'd much prefer windowed mode.

This. l like the ability to go check my email for a moment. (Yes, there are workarounds.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Going Medieval

And if you figure out how to dig multiple layers of stairs, let me know, because it's driving me apeshit getting the geometry right. I do know that you need one blank tile (think of it as a landing) between the first stair and the second stair.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm really looking forward to Terra Nil, based on the Polygon review.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

I've been playing this a bunch for the past few days so I went looking to see if anyone has commented about it because I wanted to try and figure out how to optimise for the dungeons.

My gut feeling is that Spellcaster University while not being a card game has more in line with one than it does a management simulation game. This isn't even just because of the card presentation, cards have individual rarities and you burn burn cards if you don't want to play them to try and get a bit of the cost back.

You also have different objectives each level, although randomly chosen from a small pool of options, on top of a set of increasing bonuses and penalties. This feels to me more like a deck builder where you're adding and cutting from your deck to try and streamline it's performance and mitigate luck.

Whether you agree with my thoughts or not it's a very fun little game. I'd maybe watch someone else play for a bit if you're unsure if it's for you. It has a modest price tag though and I've gotten plenty of value from it already
I'm enjoying it, too. Do (I didn't, first try) read the help file that is buried in Options IIRC). Furthermore, losing for the first four levels is expected; your goal is to build up enough magic objects to be able to win the fifth level.

I wouldn't call it a management game at all; the only resources to manage are ingredients for potions, and those show up randomly. It's a watching-little-wizards-walk-around sim.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Basically Dwarf Fort like games?

I'd say Oxygen Not Included, Rimworld or Going Medieval are the best examples of that right now. If you're looking for something something where you set a handful of little individual dudes to build a base.

And if you haven't already played Banished, play Banished.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Which game in that type is best? Is banished better than rimworld?

Edit: i actuallu had popped in here to wonder if anyone had tried rail route and had thoughts on it?
Most Rimworld players agree that to get the best out of the game, you have to pick a good suite of mods. There are probably people out there playing unmodded Rimworld, and I salute them.

Banished pluses:
Pretty 3D environment
People look like people
Easy to start
No combat
Management rules are straightforward to balance

Rimworld pluses:
Complex worlds where terrible things can happen
The hilarity of doing terrible things yourself (cannibalism is wildly profitable!)
The frequency with which your colonists and colonies die
Overall sense of humor
The astonishing modding scene

Play both. But start with Banished because it is pretty and easy to pick up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

For the overall bleakness, I'd suggest Rimworld. It also has some of the mining bits of ancient civilizations, but not much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Splicer posted:

I want to play a roguelike death cult majesty in space where I create missions, agents take the missions, and I research and monetize the finds of the ones that come back.

Buddy, they don't even let me...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mayveena posted:

drat too many choices today. Factory Town? Astroneer? Anno 1800 to try to get 5000 investors (the most I've ever had is like 500)? Surviving the Aftermath for the new stuff? Factorio? Satisfactory because I think I may finally understand why my previous bases were so lovely??

What's your vote? :)

Go play Foxhole so you can explain it to me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

lagidnam posted:

Just as a heads up, Timberborn is releasing into early access in just 2 days. So get ready for some hot, agricultural beaver action!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062090/Timberborn/

Holy poo poo, I slammed the wishlist button so fast.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In order to make two-story houses, do I have to build the houses back two from the road so there's room for the stairs come down and hit the path?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Or you would need to make a platform walkway outside the second storey, yes.
How do you do that? Is that an unlockable thing?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Welp. Just lost an entire colony of hunger and thirst -- except for one baby. Nice job, first drought. (lesson learned: really prioritize farming & water tanks earlier.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Double-checking: Your water wheel totally goes downstream of the dam, right?

Also, yeah new title

Management Megathread: How do I get my beavers to gently caress more?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Do beavers automatically spare small trees? If so, I could select an entire tree area to harvest instead of selecting individual mature trees.

e: Yeah, I placed waterwheel/gear/sawmill, then paused them until I had the dam up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Do high shafts let you cross the road with a power shaft?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Has anybody figured out how much land a farmhouse can farm?

drunken officeparty posted:

I don’t get the point of the districts. Why would I want completely separate beavers? Do they even share stocked resources?

In my last drought, one of my options was to move all my beavers to another district. I'm guessing that if droughts are localized, you might spread out your resources so that everybody doesn't die at once?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Under what circumstances can one delete a path over a dam, or a dam? See the highlighted tile here.

I next tried building a levee next to the dam, so that the path to the other side was continuous, but I still couldn't demolish either the dam itself or the path on top.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Click the railing next to the path.

I think Squiggle was correct; Demolish This Structure worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Oh I thought you wanted to mark it. I use Del to get rid of stuff.

Del wasn't working, but Demolish This Structure did.

Next question:

The lumberjack flag at top right "isn't connected to any district centre by paths". The dam/path at lower right connects to the district centre, and the lumberjack flag was within the area controlled by the center. Anybody got guesses?

e: Apparently that's the "out of range" warning. I was allowed to build it, but not allowed to use it. Do districts transfer food back and forth?