Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The only game you need from the list is OpenTTD. Embrace the TRAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wow not even giving Megaquarium the time of day!

This one is great, my go to for when I'm on the go and want to scratch a management game itch so it's available on switch and the controls are pretty good!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I don't think that ive put enough hours into Megaqarium to give it a proper "this is why the game is good" post but I'd like to do it for one of my favorite management games and the game that introduced me to the genre: OpenTTD

Don't let the graphics turn you off, I personally like them but there are graphic packs you can get to "update" them since the game is open source. It's a really great game if you like trains of course, but what I love about it is how you can scale it to whatever you want to do.

Want to just have some model train sets and play around with them? Give yourself unlimited money and turn off the competition and have fun building!

Want to start with a loan and build a complete empire full of trains, cars, buses, ships, and planes? You can do that too!

And you can do anything in between! It's very simple to learn basic train and transportation set ups, and then you can advance at your own pace into incredibly advanced and complex systems. There's essentially no limit to how simple or complex you can make the game, so fine tune it to whatever you like!

It's also a nice brain workout. It's incredibly satisfying to learn how to build train systems, learn train signals, learn how the various transport systems interacts. Learning the business side is fun too, and if you like "numbers go up" games this has plenty of it!

It's a little old, and a little obtuse at times, but in general if you're looking for a train game that can run on any computer, it's my go to.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I finally got Shadow Empire does anyone have any good LPs or guides to this? Its the most overwhelmed ive been by a game lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shadow Empire is kicking my rear end but its the most fun ive had not knowing what im doing in a while. My only complaint is it's so obtuse in teaching you its systems theyre kinda hard to figure out, but the depth is unreal and it has late 90s-ugliness charm in spades

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has anyone played Parkasaurus? What did you think? The cute art style really appeals to me after playing a lot of Shadow Empire and Factorio

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

as someone who recently discovered Factorio i wanna get DSP so bad but I havent even launched a rocket yet in Factorio so i think ima let myself burn out on that and keep an eye on DSP as it develops

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats how i play it and its a blast. Dont get intimidated by how complex it looks its easier to learn than it looks and you have a ton of fun figuring out everything yourself. It took me 10 hours to make simple green science and when I did it was the best dopamine hit ive ever gotten from a video game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Railway Empire is on Switch if u like trains

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I always turn up my resources to max on Factorio bc i want to ~EXPAND FACTORY~ instead of worrying about ore deposits but theoretically can you run out of ore in Factorio? Like use up all the maps resources?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Railgrade (part of the Steam Game Festival demos) seems pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYU9B0ok3YY

This looks like a cross between OpenTTD and Factorio, my two favorite games. I hope it's good, if it is it will consume me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sweeper posted:

where's the factorio bit? it just looks like OpenTTD clone from the video, are you the one placing the industries on patches of ore and researching techs or something?

its on a different planet duh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know if Matrix makes physical copies of the Shadow Empire manual? I have it as a PDF but would prefer to buy a copy than print it all out because I don't have a printer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mayveena posted:

If you have a local Staples, Office Depot, or Fedex Office you can get it printed there.

There's a staples near me, thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant pronounce it but goddamn am i excited to play it!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

nebbyschnezzer

In my head it was "Naboo-Chad-Nezzar" so I was pretty off lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is nimby only passenger rails or do they do freight too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if i cant run a Union Pacific Big Boy from Alaska to Argentina what even is the point

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You guys are figuring out all these crazy Factorio formulas and im over here like "Wait...you can run out of water from the pumps?!"

I actually found Factorio a ton of fun to figure out. Normally I bounce off games that are obtuse or have to steep a learning curve but Factorio is a rare exception where I really enjoy figuring it out. It took me 10 hours to automate green science, but when I did it was the best a video game has made me feel

Kinda bummed about the lukewarm reception to Nebuchadnezzar, I was going to buy it if it was well received but it looks like its just ok and i have my hands full banging my head against the wall trying to get to turn 2 in Shadow Empire

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Grevlek posted:

Yeah fair enough. Best bet is the actual manual you should be able to get it from the publisher website for free. The first 40 pages or so is world building which is kind of interesting but also just kind of a European Libertarian's space fantasy.

At a high level, supply is the most important part of the game. If you are making a new game, you should start with 1 army and the first 4 councils so you can actually interact with the game world in the first 20 turns. You want to nationalize your recycler on turn 1, and then not build anything for a few turns to build up resources. You will want to build a metals source when you can afford one, and then an industrial plant after that. Once those are both online you can pretty safely build any buildings or units you want. Thats the strangest thing about getting used to SE, the first few turns you absolutely want to not build things, you want to stockpile resources so you have more than what the first couple buildings cost.

Your army should be used to expand your territory early on. There are 2 types of AI, majors which you will not be able to enter their territory without going to war, and minors. Minors are in three subtypes, nomads/raiders, citystate, and upstarts. City states usually have a resource or two they hoard, and they don't really expand and are good targets to buddy up with. And upstarts can occasionally go to war with you, they attempt to get up to major power level. Expand like crazy, if you run into nomads or random mobs, try to surround them when you fight them to cut off the retreat and they will die.

You can get supply when you are within about 6 hex tiles of a road. You want to alternate building supply depots and truck depots to extend your supply on major roads.

The last thing that's pretty nebulous is the unit design. I really like it, if has alpha Centauri vibes. If you click on manage>models>design you can check the stats of your units. The two things that matter most are Str. (Strength of )design and Br( literally no idea what that stands for) design. Br can get better over time, but str is determined once when your model is completed. If your infantry, machine gun, or recon is less than 100 br, you want your unit council to make a new line of those in that order of priority. if you spawned with those all 100 or thereabouts, you want to upgrade your existing recon to the next level of armor I think 25mm, that makes it basically impervious to small arms fire And will deal with all early nomad/raiders.

I could go on, but that's the highlights for the first 20 turns or so.

Im being 100% genuine when I say I have learned more from this post than the 15 or so hours I have going into the game cold. Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I bounced off Rimworld so hard, because a game like Factorio or OpenTTD is really easy to figure out with just common sense (why isnt my driller running? It needs electricity. Why is my train stopped in the middle of the track? Misplaced signal).

Whereas in Rimworld the game will say "Your little guy is sad and angry and bleeding". Well the bleeding is pretty easy, it means he needs a bandage or a doctor. But there's a trilion ways to solve the other two and I got frustrated trying to balance all the colonists emotions and feelings as well as their physical needs like food, shelter, etc.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh no I totally get that NOW, like the things I complain about are WHY people like it so that just means its not for me. But when I first bought it I thought itd be a more logistics focused game so I was pretty confused.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I didn't really do any research beforehand a friend raved about it to me and it was on sale. Lesson learned. I did have some fun with it, it's def really cool but once it clicked "the fun is watching your colony die in crazy ways" I bounced off it hard bc spending a lot of time on a colony only to have it be destroyed is a possibility in any management game, but to me its not fun when that happens it means I lost the game not won it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's not how I have fun with it at all! I had the most fun in Rimworld last year with two separate saves - one where I played on easy vanilla with no mods and made a colony that eventually got royal help and blasted off, and it was cool to figure out how to repel invaders and get enough food and handle my muffalo herd. The "classic" pacing is pretty forgiving and it was cool to build a colony I cared about.

The second one I went FULL bananas, installed 300+ mods, activated the console to make sure anyone I cared about survived, and made a cultist genetic freaktown with a baby dragon and it was a hoot making this lurching, horrible colony capture people and turn them into ducks or whatever. I eventually got distracted and stopped playing this one, but while I was on it, it was great. I don't know if I ever would have let that hellscape die, as it was mine and I loved it.

drat I am not going to lie this does sound pretty fun when you phrase it like that, especially the second one you've described.

I think you've convinced me to give it another shot once I finish grasping Shadow Empire (which at this rate will be the year of our Lord 3000 AD)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

honestly id snag neb if it had a free build mode but since it doesnt its a hard pass. Have the devs said if theyre going to add one or not?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

To the kind soul who wrote an early game Shadow Empire guide, I just wanted to say using your guide has allowed me to finally understand what I'm doing and enjoy the early game. Im still pretty lost but I'm having a blast learning and I feel I have the essential basics down. I had a few questions I wanted to ask

When building truck stops and supply bases on roads, I know I'm supposed to alternate building each, and that roads will supply up to 6 tiles around them. So say I have a straight road. Should I build TS > 6 tiles road > SB > 6 tiles of road > TS and repeat? Or should I use the same formula but 12 tiles instead of 6, since they extend 6 in each direction?

Is it normal to be constantly running out of metal? I've only been able to find one metal deposit to build a mine on, and since I often have a surplus of food I trade it for metal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shadow Empire takes about 40 hours or so to really click but once it does oh my god is it so good

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That game looks like so much fun and a little more accessible than SimSig I might try it out. I just wish these games would show the actual trains, as a train enthusiast in OpenTTD or Railway Empire I love just clicking on a train and watching it choo choo once in a while.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Out of the Park 22 has been announced. Anyone gonna pick it up? I'm going to but I wish they'd keep going with their NHL management game (i forget what its called) too. It'd be nice to have updated NHL rosters but hey OOTP 22 will be exciting!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I will absolutely buy it at its first 50% off sale, which usually doesn't take too long. I hardly ever play em but I keep buying em. One day I'll bite into it and live the Moneyball dream.

Im gonna snag it day 1 bc I have too much free time on my hands. Ive never played the baseball one but the hockey one was a blast so im excited for OOTP.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my dream management game would be a OOTP/ Football/Motorsport manager style game but for boxing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been playing OOTP 22 for a few days (got it early bc I pre-ordered it) and so far it's a ton of fun. It's surprisingly intuitive for someone like me who's a casual baseball fan, I did a brief review of baseball stats and what they mean and dived in and am having a ton of fun. I really like the games themselves, you can control every aspect of the game or auto-resolve and basically everything in between. The games a ton of fun to just kinda tinker with while you're watching TV or listening to music.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

explosivo posted:

I love baseball and always liked the franchise modes in baseball sims but just couldn't get into OOTP at all. I really wanted to because it sounds cool but I think it's just a bit too dry without the ability to play the games if I get bored with looking at spreadsheets. I also don't know poo poo about baseball stats so my eyes just kinda glaze over when I'm looking at lineups and trades and stuff. I'm also an O's fan so it's not exactly the most exciting roster to play with :smith:

I'm not sure if this is in the old games or not but '22 has a mode I've been playing where they make a league of all the most famous players in history. I'm a Red Sox fan and my team has Ted Williams and Big Papi!

And in this version you can actually watch and play the games which definitely breaks up the "spreadsheet" look.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is a company that does this for Wrestling and MMA, so I thought to check, sadly they don’t have one for boxing, sorry.

I’ve actually been playing their latest wrestling game and enjoying myself. I made a brief post about my game in another thread on SA’s punchsports subforum.

the MMA one looks pretty cool if it was officially licensed I'd probably buy it so I can prove with the simulator that Nate Diaz would beat McGregor if they fight again

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Not a full sim by any stretch, but Punch Club is a charming little Russian Tycoon/RPG boxing game by the team that made Graveyard Keeper.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/394310/Punch_Club/

Just picked this up, looks like a ton of fun and I love the art style. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Factorio intimidated the hell out of me but it can be INCREDIBLY relaxing with the right settings and looks much scarier than it is. Its actually pretty intuitive and easy to learn but hard to master.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've got a question... Is there a game in this genre or even outside of it slightly that would make for a great podcast / TV show game? Something I can half pay attention to while trying to catch up on my podcasts and watch old episodes of Seinfeld while playing? I need something monotonous but rewarding to keep playing...

I've been enjoying some of the games in the genre but I'm also looking for something fairly casual I can just futz around in while doing other stuff.

OOTP22/Franchise Hockey Manager is my go to for this

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Holy poo poo my dream of running the Union Pacific Big Boy in a train management game can finally come true!!!

Also Ive been watching F1 racing with a friend and I swore there was a F1 management game but I found a few diff ones. Which ones the good one?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OpenTTD is literally my favorite game but cash is a little tight rn. Would you guys say its worth it to take the plunge on Voxel Now or wait for a bit of polish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Good call. Ima hold off but add it to the wishlist!