Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

A couple of pages back in this thread or the last one someone was talking about a game not really respecting your time and now that I've been going back and playing Planetbase to knock out a few achievements: it really rings true. Wish there was 12x speed. 4x feels so stilted.

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

LLSix posted:

How's starship corporation? I've seen it in Steam a few times but never dug deep on it.

Outside of playing it for maybe two nights after I bought it I dropped it. Could be that I was playing after hours and just didn't have the mental bandwidth to learn a new system, but it just didn't grab me because of the learning curve.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Got 'they are billions' and it scratches an old RTS itch I've had. Interesting blend of resource management, tower defense, RTS, etc. I'll probably play until I knock out the campaign then call it my money's worth. Nice touch that your kill count from each session lowers the number on the main menu screen.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

Tbh, I'd recommend just playing the survivor maps instead of the campaign. I loved playing the survivor maps but the campaign is really slow. Completing each survivor map will take a lot of time already.

I tried the campaign last night and I'll give the survivor maps a whirl tonight. I imagine stuff is locked/tiered differently between the modes because I recall a tech-tree in campaign but survival is more free-form I'm guessing.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I picked up NIMBY Rails as well and haven't fired it up yet. I'm looking forward to putting up a ton of stations in the actual NIMBY areas by me. It's got a hefty filesize though so seems like a lot for what is probably going to be ~45mins of me laughing at self-referential jokes before I stop playing.

Whoever was trying to urge me away from the campaign of They Are Billions, thanks. Survival is way more fun and for lack of a better way to say it- way more 'responsive' to how I play. I might go back and do the campaign later but survival is really what I was looking for.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Nimby rails is fun but if you're playing with money on it sucks to basically make the tiniest regional line and then wait as you run the clock out until the loan is repaid so you can start expanding on your own dime without debt.

Edit: I could charge $69 per trip and $4.20 per km but it's a city metro line and that would kinda break any immersion.

frogge fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 17, 2021

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Preloaded Evil Genius 2. ~12hrs to go.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Started playing Starship Corporation and there are quite a few more plates to spin than I expected. I get the concept of building ships custom for different contracts, and doing research to be able to implement better hulls/parts, but the part that I'm bouncing off of is how to get the ships I build to fulfill contracts like salvaging and mining etc. AFAIK the ships match the contract needs- do I just send the ships to the circled area and then let 'em sit to do the job or something?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Grevlek posted:

If you don't like ordering the little dudes around, I recommend getting out now. My third ship hull had five floors, and by that point the missions were functionally unplayable for me.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm leaning towards. Good concept on paper but follow through is lacking to me.

I know Space Haven exists, I have it, but I'm waiting for full release to get back into it.
I haven't done anything in Kerbal Space Program in ages.

Are there any other space ship management games out there? I really like building them and messing around in the cosmos with them.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I want to post a shoutout to Kingdoms Reborn because I'm not seeing it discussed much anywhere but it impressed me. It's a very gamified style of management game or city builder in a neat way.

Wishlisted it but gonna wait till it's outta E.A. I'm not normally a fan of games that use cards as a central part of gameplay but this looks good and promising.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I know there was talk about Startopia earlier in the thread- are there any other games where all you do is build a space station and deal with residents/travelers like a simcity but in space?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

the only one that immediately comes to mind is "The Spatials" but i can't really recommend it - it's a port of some mobile game and when i tried it i found it to be unfun and obtuse

i know exactly the type of game you're looking for and i wish a good one existed

Yeah that doesn't quite hit the spot. Thanks though!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The only one is the original Startopia, and it remains the best to this day. I'm sorry.

It's all good. I'm not avoiding that game I just wanted to see what's out there.

Grevlek posted:

As always Strix is correct.

That being said, Halcyon 6 is a very fun game in the (in my opinion) umbrella of this thread. It's part Xcom, part FTL, and all pixel art (I know some people in this thread dont like that art style).

I absolutely recommend that game if you are looking for more space management adjacent vibes.

Halcyon 6 is a great game. It's been enough time since my last run that I ought to give it another go.

I went in another direction entirely and picked up X4 foundations. There is a lot under the hood but also not a lot of hand holding to get a new player going unless you want to check out youtubers. Took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize I needed a resource drone to complete a mining mission. Somewhere down the way is space station building...

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a one of a kind beast that inspired a lot of other games that mimic it with a way better UI.
I will be getting the steam release of it when it drops but have been holding off on playing it until then.

Also checking in on x4 foundations: there's resource management and FPS in it. I don't think I was warned enough about the grind. Of the 80hrs or so steam says I've played I would hazard that at best I was actively playing 20 and letting things run automatically in the background while doing other things. It is a slog to get to where you can start to do cool stuff and the ships and stations all get kind of samey after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah the AI in x4 kinda feels like a roomba at times. My "favorite" is how often my mining ships will get held up by the police ships and wait for me to tell them to ignore it before continuing to mine.

You got the nail on the head with delegation. I think I'm finally at that point where everything just kind of snowballs upwards but what a slog to get here. Now I feel like I can do the fun stuff.