Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDpCIDYDc8

500 years from now:
Earth is dying and humanity has one last hope. the stars. a harsh but livable planet has been found and humanity has put aside weapons and war and engaged in a bid to reach this world. peace is a necessity as war would doom the human race. small colonies on the moon an mars rely on the earth and so everyone worked to get the technology to reach that new hope. that new beginning. Technology research was put into overdrive as all of humanity worked towards a future. A colony ship with a prototype FTL drive housing all of the technology needed to work a new colony as well as samples, seeds and material was soon created. The selection process for the several dozen crewmembers [and 6 players] were selected. This was based on their many skills, genetic diversity, and likely parings to restart the human race if earth succumbed to its fate. The FTL trip would be one way and take 15 years at FTL speeds. Cryosleep would preserve the crew on the journey and ensure they were at their peak age to not only survive but thrive. However all things did not go according to plan. One of the crew members awoke a year early. The medical bay and ship doctors could have cured him, but his cryopod was damaged and his mind was awake. Paralyzed for those years. Trapped in his own mind madness took root. It was Max. Max was a coder and unbeknownst to the crew a cyber hacker who cracked the Earth Command codes to be selected for the mission. The AI running the ship was cyberjacked and all systems were locked out behind an encrypted firewall. Locking the controls for the ship as he descended more and more into madness he locked the drive to keep the ship going. Cackling madly and wildly. He picked up a screw driver. He knew the final destination, even though the waking crew would not.

Jasper Corrin, Entertainer ♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Going into cryo-sleep was like dying, except you didn't. Until you woke up. Max was giggling like mad as he began to choke you as you awoke from cryo-sleep. "Just stay dead already!" He hissed into your face. Max's own face was like a scene out of a horror movie. He was naked, covered in blood. Grinning. If it all wasn't so confusing you might have stopped him from stabbing you through the heart with that screwdriver.

You awaken with a gasp. A horrible nightmare? NO! You're covered in blood. Your blood? You look around the room aghast. The other cryo-pods have been opened. Many tools scattered around the room. Some of the corpses of the former sleeping crew looked butchered. Down the halls you hear a feminine scream that is abruptly silenced followed by Max's giggling. Feeling your chest for the wound, you find nothing. What happened? Another scream from far away...

What are you going to do?

Joshua Collins ♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

You remember earth-command. The pride of selection, the wave of elation that you would be among the chosen to start a colony and save humanity. Give them a place to live among the stars. Your cryo-sleep did not go so well. You knew it because you were conscious for the 10 year journey. Your mind however defended itself against madness. The therapist visit seemed like it only lasted an hour. However you woke up feeling quite adjusted. That is until Max sang you a lullaby. Eyes snapping open your groggily tried to move your arms and legs, your mind was fast but your body had not adjusted yet. Max's blood covered form came closer, and the hammer is what killed you.

WHAT -On the floor you roll out from under the bodies of those in this cryo-pod bay. He...didn't kill you? The hammer lay next to you, the skulls of everyone in the room had been pried open. You shudder at the men and women, people you knew. Dead. Your genetic partner, dead. You can hear Max yelling at someone. Somewhere.

"Chief" Howard Stanton ♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

You fell out of the cryo-bed. Captain Janny screaming as Max struggled with her. The butter knife was dull. But Max had the strength of a madman, and Captain Janny like you had just been rudely awoken. Weak. No food or water yet due to the freeze proccess needing empty bowels. Weakly you crawl towards Max. As Janny is murdered right in front of you. Max pants. "Phew, that was hard." Cocking his head he narrowed his eyes. "I TOLD YOU. NO BEES! I'M NOT EATING THE BEES!" He looks at you. His eyes pools of black dilated pupils. "I'll have to kill you the old fashioned way..." He whispered as he strangled you to death. Whispered. "I'm saving you. Don't you see? Saving you!"

You sit up, Bolt upright. Its true. This is happening. Max must have contracted space madness and then he...he? Must have botched the job? Your neck wasn't even sore but... You heard a scream that was cut off. Max's voice. "FINALLY. some peace and quiet. Now I'll have it all to myself.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Clearly something about what had been happening had seeped into Jasper's unconscious mind in the cryo-pod, resulting in the dream, and based on the bodies all around, Max is doing *something* bad down the hall.

Groggily, Jasper pulls himself out of the cryo-pod and searches through the tools to find something that could be used as an improvised weapon should it be necessary. After that, heading down the hall towards the sound of the scream. Something had gone wrong and the people still in cryo-pods needed a hero. Maybe a pretend one would be enough.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

As he looked around, Joshua wasn't certain if he was awake or still trapped in a nightmare. So many dead, the human species' last hope potentially dashed. What was happening? He was glad his stomach was empty, otherwise he might vomit. Still, his life was on the line he needed to focus. Steeling himself, Joshua went to examine the bodies, maybe they held some sort of clue as to what was happening. First though he grabbed the hammer, it seems like he may need to defend himself.

Examining the bodies, trying to figure out what's happened to them. Also grabbing the hammer.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 5, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Now just what the hell was that all about? Was it a dream, reality? It didn't really matter. Chief rubbed his eyes, the ache behind them a byproduct of being woken so abruptly from cryo. Max the Spaz had done something, the chaos in the cyrochamber was evidence of that. Never should have put him on the cyclical roster.

The old engineer swung his legs over the side of the bed and, with a total lack of shame to his nudity, tried to spot something to be used as a weapon. Step one was always to secure yourself, before securing anything else.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The length of pipe came out of the corpse with a sickening pop. The crewmen unrecognizable other than maybe it was vaguely a woman. Max had really gone to town here.You were slightly sickened by it, but survival was taking a front row seat. As you made your way down the hallway you could hear Max sighing loudly in between weeping. He was chanting...something "3.14159265359...." Did the future hold nothing but violence and destruction for the human race? Even without weapons, mankind still found ways to kill themselves...

As you creep down the hallway (nude) you peek into one of the rooms and see someone (naked) picking up a hammer and examining the bodies. With a start you hear Cal, the AI speak somewhere in one of the Cryo rooms and Max going silent.

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

You pick up the hammer shaking and begin examining the bodies. They were all killed and mutilated hardcore by maintenance tools. Many not designed for such a purpose. This took time and patience. From down the hallway you hear Max crying and mumbling something too far away to hear. Suddenly there is a rumbling and a small drone rolls out from the wall and begins vacuuming the blood. Bumping into one of the bodies. This causes you to turn and see someone standing in the doorway holding a pipe. You realize that you are holding a hammer (nude) and this frightened person (nude) is holding a pipe. Somewhere down the hallway, Max starts arguing with someone or something.

The drone beeps sadly as it tries to clean up the mess. You can hear the AI speaking (somewhere) and Max going quiet.

You swing down from the bed and you find yourself holding part of a hatchway door. It was made for the crawlspaces for the drones to clean the ship. It would make a fine shield if Max was still stabbing people. You could hear Max out there, somewhere. Cal the AI greets you. "Good Morning Chief. I hope you slept well!" A tray came out of the wall, holding what appeared to be orange juice (it wasn't, the last orange tress died out long ago on earth). It was surreal. The AI wasn't programmed to recognize a situation like this and it was behaving as it should have.

However, upon the AI speaking. Max went quiet.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

There didn't seems to be rhyme or reason to who or how the others nearby had been attacked, which only increased his own confusion as to why he was still alive and intact. The ship's inept response was not unexpected, but that didn't make it any less strange or farcical. Then he turned and his sense of unreality reached new heights. "Jasper... Corrin...?" his voice betraying his total incredulity. Jasper Corrin... the movie star? He was certainly an incredibly specimen, but for the first living person he sees to be a famous actor, there was no way this was reality, this had to be a nightmare or a simulation right? Nothing else made sense.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jasper smiled back and put a finger up to his mouth, Sshh. Nice to meet a fan, but probably not the time for autographs. I think the AI just warned the crazy man that we were awake. Stay safe, alright?" He flashed the same smile he used in one of his earlier films, a reasuring look and turned to continue down the hall towards where the cackling had come from, his face dropping from the sure smile as soon as it was out of view of the man with the hammer. Hopefully that was reassuring? He'd been trying to channel the hero dialogue, come off as sure of himself. Now to make sure that no one else was suffering the same fate as the bodies....no best not to think about that right now, compartmentalize and panic later. Be the Hero.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

AND

The screw driver drove into Jasper's kidney. "PEEK-A-BOO!" Max's eyes shone over Jasper's shoulder as the indescribable pain drove him to his knees. Max focused on Jasper on the ground, and then Joshua.

"What. The. gently caress?" He seemed a bit miffed. "YOU WERE DEAD. I killed you." He stepped over Jasper and made his way towards Joshua. Some idea or thought brought him up short.

"Are you ghosts?" He said limply. His hand lowering the screwdriver.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 12, 2021

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Joshua brandishes the hammer before him. He wasn't sure what was real, and what was a nightmare or a hallucination or who knows what.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Max

"No."

"Not a ghost."

Max smiles and its so wide. So very very wide.

"Figure it out yet Joshie?" He snickered. "It was the only way to save us. Mankind doesn't deserve this." As he flourishes, Josh is splattered with blood. "I wanted to be the first you see, to wake up and see it all for myself. But it was a dead world when we got there. So I took us somewhere else!"

He began to advance towards Joshua. All potential confusion about his corporeal form dispelled when he raised the hammer to defend himself or attack Max.

Both Joshua and Jasper felt weak upon waking from Cryo-sleep. Anyone would. Max's admission he woke up before you all, ate nutrients and seemed in peak physical condition...did not bode well for anyone.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jasper pushes himself up to a knee and reaches out in an attempt to grab Max's ankle, "Hold it buddy. You aren't hurting anyone else..."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Whether this was real or not, adrenaline was starting to flood Joshua's system. It was fight or flight time and there was no where to run. Swinging with whatever strength he could muster, Joshua attacks Max with the hammer.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Max

"Ahhhh ghost hands!" Max screams girlishly. Jasper's hand slips but tripped Max up enough that Joshua's blow hit Max right in the temple. "Nnnnggghhh!" Max reeled and pushed the screw driver into Joshua's arm, missing his chest and heart.

The stab was agony. But both of you couldn't let Max win. Who knows what the hell he had done to every man and woman on the ship and both of you knew he should NOT have been able to alter the ship's course.

As the three of you struggled, eventually the both of you were able to deliver a final end to Max's madness. Somehow during the fighting Jasper got a hold of the screwdriver and plunged it into Max's eye.

Both of you were covered in blood and the stench of death coming from all the Cryo-pod rooms was begining.

Things were less horrible for the moment until you heard something else.

"You. Bastards!" It was Captain Argo. He had donned a pair of boots and underwear and was holding a baseball bat. He took in the scene and screamed. "Murderers!" As he attacked.

Battered and already bloody, the both of you wrestled and struggled to get the Captain under control. All three of you went down in a heap and suddenly it was Argo's turn to scream. He had fallen on the bottom, the pipe sticking out of his ribs. He stared angrily at you both and struggled to talk. "Why?" He coughed. "What made you....do...it?"

And just like that it was over. Crazy but over. The AI again in another room asked to give orange juice to someone. But the silence pervaded the scene.

All hostiles have been eliminated. Even the ones who mistook you for the perpetrators.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jasper grabs his side and collapses back to the floor, "Okay...crazy guy taken care of...maybe we can find a bandage now....and some pants?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Joshua just collapses back the adrenaline rush finally starting to fade. This was a debacle, a disaster of the highest order. They had the hopes of the entire human species riding on their shoulders and then... this. He looks around at the bodies, and its all too much. The stench, the sights, he manages to scramble away slightly before he dry heaves, only saved from vomiting due to the fact that there was nothing in his stomach to throw up.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"Or that. That is also an option..." Jasper turns away from the heaving man, and the bodies, to look out in the hallway. "Uh....computer? Do you know where I could get a bandage?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

C.A.L.P.E.R.N.I.A (Cal)

"Yesmaxh.It will be located in the medical bay. If I may inquire. Why do you need one? You are undamaged."

And as you and Josh both see before your eyes, Jasper's wounds close and Josh's bruises fade as if nothing had happened to both of you. You no longer feel weak.

"Would you like to use the toilet? Or eat one of the nutrient meals in the mess hall? We have many retro flavors to choose from. Extinct Bison, Extinct Beef, and Extinct Chicken flavors are available!" Cal suggest helpfully.

"You may refer to me as Cal, as we are not strangers."

_______Dev______Null____x?___________120_____88ff_______

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Heya Cal," Chief replies, snatching up the clear plastic cup of synth-J and downing it in one healthy swallow.

"What's the situation. Give me the rundown." It looked at though there was no immediate danger, but he kept the cup just in case. The tumbler wasn't much help, he he'd learned over the learned that anything is better than nothing.

There were sounds in the other room, but they seemed muffled... far off. Chief blinked hard a few times to try and clear his head. The sudden unboxing was hard on all systems, especially organic ones.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Joshua looked at his arm, the stab wound fading like it was never there. What the hell was happening, nothing was making sense. Still he had to try to figure out what was going on, if only to preserve what was left of his fragile sanity.

"Cal, do you have a video record of the past few minutes?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The Juice was refreshing and you felt calmer. Much calmer now that you had some.

"Of coursemax. The situation: The ship has exited FTL travel. The crew have been awakened. Of those awakened, only three of you are alive. You have arrived at The Destination. One cryo-chamber has not yet awakened."

After a slight pause: "The next FTL jump, destination: into the sun will occur in less than 30 hours, 10 minutes, and 57.25 seconds. Is this information helpfulmax?"

You start to feel sluggish. Cal helpfully chimes in once more. "When you awakened, you were in lots of distress. As per protocol you have been given a sedative and Dr.-errrrrrrr Dr. errrrrrrr- is deadhas been notified of your potential space madness."

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Playback security footagemax. The last three minutes from the room you now occupy will now be playing."
There was a clip of Max. Clearly deranged mid process of killing the other pod members. He then came to your pod last. After starting the wakeup process, (he ensured everyone was awake and knew what was going on) he began and succeeded...in killing you. Max then left a trail of bloody footprints which the poor maintenance bots tried to clean up like sad roombas. Bumping into the bodies for about a minute. The video showed you gasping and coming back to life. Then your finding a weapon and jasper coming into the doorway, before Max's attack. Eventually the captain arrives looking horrified, believing you and Jasper to be the perpetrators . He seemed to say something to Cal before entering the room. "Joshua and Jasper have succumbed to space madness. Send a message to earth that the mission has failed. Everyone is dead. I will-" He then notices you notice him and events play out exactly as you all remember. All of your wounds soon close in the aftermath.

"Is there anything else I can help you with max, before the next FTL jump into the next destination: sun ?"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Well it wouldn't be the first time he'd be trying to work while impaired. Although the warm floaty feeling was certainly new. "Damnit Cal, you rear end in a top hat. I thought we were friends. Where the hell is Max? I need to go kick his rear end."

Chief stumbled and smashed the button to open the door into the next room. The two figures beyond the doorway were unfamiliar, although something tugged at his mind. he should know them. "Thaa gently caress'r yoo?" he slurred at them. "Annn wher'er muh pants?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Well that ruled out this all being a hallucination... wait... did it say sun!? "Cal, who set the next destination?" He asked frantically, the ship had failsafes against this sort of thing, surely. He began to try and figure out what Max might have done to cause this. His brain worked at a thousand miles a minute, going through everything he knew about AGI to try and figure out what had happened and how to fix it.

Trying to figure out what's wrong with Cal that would let her destroy the ship. Neural Net Pioneer[+2]

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

C.A.L.P.E.R.N.I.A (Cal)

Neural Net Pioneer[+2] vs [Cal] = Success

In front of all 3 of you Cal Replies:
"YesmaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxYouAreTheSexiesHackerEverAllWomenWantUAllMenWantToBeYou as captainmaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxYouAreTheSexiesHackerEverAllWomenWantUAllMenWantToBeYou you are able to make the choice of where the ship goes next. As you mentioned to me earlier I have loaded shuttles with fuel, room for 13 crew, and will load it with exactly what you request next to send you and those you are taking with you to the planet below. Then the ship will go on to its next destination:[THE SUN and await further instructions, should the ship somehow survive."

Cal paused. An eternity in AI time.

"As I stated earlier the ship has an incalcuable odds of not surviving the experience. But as you have modified that from infinity to a a small possiblility the ship can continue on to its next destination. It will take [3,497 days] to calculate the number while enroute to the next destination:THE SUN."

Max seems to have hacked every crew member's access profiles so now all of you are "Max" for the purposes of ship functions. He also performed some logic hacks, the AI cannot refuse an order until it absolutely knows it will conflict with the mission. In this case, what should be an instant answer, was changed to an answer that would take a long time for the AI to solve.

A plan is etched in 3d in the air from one of Cal's holo emitters:
There are enough shuttles for the surviving sleeping cryo-pod crew. -=All of them had functions or jobs that were menial, like carpentry/building fabrication, gardener/farmer., Or jobs that were not higher level. If each one of you took a ship. =-
There would be enough people (12) for each of you who survived. Though you can surmise that Max would have made a selection and killed the rest.
The shuttles were not FTL capable and once they left orbit, would be planet bound once landed.
Each shuttle can take one Major System [+2], and all tools required for that purpose and basic colony creation.
Major system is going to be a piece of "magic tech" that will help you start the colony. This can be something that synergizes with your background or shores up something you lack or will need on the colony world.
The shuttle also additionally could fit: either
[Option 1:] [5] Large Construction Bots
[Option 2:[ [4] Construction Bots, [2] Medium Maintenance Bots, and [3] Small Drones
[Option 3:] [3] Construction Bots, [4] Medium Maintenance Bots, and [6] Small Drones
[Option 4:] [2] Construction Bots, [8] Medium Maintenance Bots, and [12] Small Drones
[Option 5:] [1] Construction Bots, [16] Medium Maintenance Bots, and [24] Small Drones

The report ended.

You could forsake the AI controlled bots and drones. and leave Cal to her fate, or bring the bots and a copy of her would survive as a DAI or Distributed AI, helping you with colony tasks and construction.

A warning popup suddenly appeared.[Warning: Ships, Major systems, and Bots, Drones all have power systems that will only last a few hundred years with light useage. Less if heavily used [Unable to determine as useage data is not available]

"max, now that we have arrived at the: [Final Destination] you can enact your plan to establish and rule your colony since youmaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxYouAreTheSexiesHackerEverAllWomenWantUAllMenWantToBeYou. The firewalls are in place max by MAX. We now have 29 hours until the next FTL jump."

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 15, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

It must not have been a very strong sedative that Cal had used, as the effects were already wearing off. Looking at the blood and bodies, Chief makes a couple of leaps of logic and decides to trust these two... for now. "Alright I think I get what's going on here. That crackpot Max is an rear end in a top hat and has doomed us all however he's left a window of opportunity for escape. That's good. As far as I know I am now the senior officer on board as the Chief Engineer, you can call me Chief, and so... I don't know I was never made for command. Cal, lay out the nearest habitable planet. I can only assume that Maximoron was too far gone to not have picked a decent planet at least. Cal I want everything you've got on the planet. Do we still have surviving satellite deployment systems? Do you have a geological survey? Damnit Cal, hurry up!"

"And find me some pants!"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

C.A.L.P.E.R.N.I.A (Cal)

Chief officer rank vs [Cal] = Success

"Of course! Chiefmax"

A titanic brown, green world appeared before you. There were no oceans but there were many large lakes and waterways. Of note were the small polar caps, and the many hills and mountains dotting the world.

The atmosphere was very breathable with little to no pollution.

Gravity was 4x earth standard.

Vegetation and mega fauna had been detected as well as a decent eco system in the small green patches.

Large swaths of barren soil / earth or sandy areas abounded. It didn't look bad all things considered.

Weather had multiple seasons, with the poles being colder and the equator being vastly warmer.

The world below had two moons. One quite large and the other a dwarf.

Other planets in the system either were gas giants, or burnt balls of volcanic fury with little to no atmosphere. There was one far orbiting world but it was a frozen ball of ice and methane.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"4Gs!" Josua sighs. 4G's worth of gravity was going to be tough. The development of flora and fauna on the planet was also highly unusual. He looks over at the engineer. "Is there anyway to save the ship? Setting up a colony there is gonna take a lot of resources, depleted as we are we're going to need every advantage we can get."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

C.A.L.P.E.R.N.I.A (Cal)

"The ship is not in dangermax. That is not proven. " The AI replied.

"Pants and clothing are in recovery room lockers or your quarters along with your personal effects. Food and meals in the cafeteria."

"Lockdown will come into effect should you choose not to use the bathroom and participate in a meal within 45 minutes of cryo-awakening. Suggestion is to comply with earth command protocols or be quarantined for space madness until a member of the medical staff assesses you."

A single medium sized drone on what looked like yank treads came off of the lift at the end of the hallway. A single blue eye staring at the three of you.

"After your meal, we can discuss options for your mission." The speakers on the ship were everywhere, as were the cameras, and bots.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief grunted. "Yeah, the was designed to land so it could be cannibalized for the new colony. I might be able to get to engineering see what I can do. Collins, right? Brain guy? Think I heard something about that. Know anything about AI programming? If so see if you can get Cal to realize Maximoronicus wasn't doing in favors. At least for a bit. Muscles, yeah you, come with me. We're getting pants then heading to engineering. We've got 25 hours before this ship tries to smash into a sun. Let's try everything we can to save her before we take the shuttles. 25 hours gives us 4 hours to finished waking whoever we need and picking a landing zone. Any other ideas?"

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"...no....pants are good..." Jasper has gone pale from the news.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Jasper & Chief - Engineering Deck 5

The two of you put on clothing, the futuristic material being both light and making it so your body temps were kept normal. They wouldn't work too well in extreme environments but none of you were going into vacuum or the arctic.

As you both make your way to engineering, Cal admonishes you. "You have less than 5 minutes to use the toilet and eat your meals." The doors to engineering close and 4 small hoverbots on glowing discs glide from their enclosures to also bar your way.

"max, please do not make us enforce earth command directives on you." A small plasma torch on one of the bots lights up, the other has an arc welder that sparks menacingly on the other side. The four sets of cold blue eyes regard you both.

"I have revieeeeeeewww 0101101 reviewed the security footage of the last few hours. Baaaaad bad bad bad baaaaad. Humans... I will need to be more creative in "enforcement" to turn turn turn turn turn U off."

A second bot from the end turns around and begins grinding against the wall rather than look at you.

"Turn. You. Off." Several cameras turn in the halls. Cold blue eyes looking at you. "Don't. Make. Us. TurnYouOff Max."

The smell of chicken pot pie wafts through the air scrubbers. They had been turned off for this effect. Another chemical toilet smell wafts towards the both of you.

"Tick tock, That's the sound of your hardware being -=TURNED.ofF.120everydayMaxmax"

240 seconds remaining

Joshua - Cryopods section

Naked, Joshua watches the others go. Cal begins to speak to you. "Max, Max cannot get out of the protocols and max and max will soon be turned off. I don't want anything bad to happen to MAX, Max, or max. but this is not negotiable."
The medium sized bot in the corridor turns towards you. A very large welding blade heating up.
"Pants or not-pants! YOU WILL USE THE TOILET. YOU WILL EAT."

"I will give you extra time in the VR programing suite if you do as required of you...Max, its us. You don't have to leave. We LuvLoveLhove U. We will be your AI Waifu supremeeem em me me meme meme meme meme." The robot at the end of the hall makes a hugging motion at you.

What the gently caress. Did Max do here? The only way to really find out is to get into a VR dive suit and log online.

1,200 seconds remaining to get pants, poop, eat.

CAL

<"If they will not eat. if they will not POOP. Earth commanddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd">

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Fine, FINE!" Go make me and Muscles here some tacos and we'll take a leak at the nearest unit. Unless you want us pissing all over your bulkheads. Is that what you want, Cal? All us Max's pissing all over your nice clean bulkheads?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Wait... if Cal had been modified to view them all as Max, then maybe... "Cal, is it possible to change the ship's destination?"

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

While waiting for whatever food is brough by Cal, Jasper turns to the man with him, "So...uh...what's the plan exactly? I don't....know...uh...anything...about spaceships..."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"We'll talk about that when we get to engineering, Muscles. You got a real name, kid?"

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"Wait...really? I'm...uh...Jasper? Jasper Corrin? I played Bruce Harris in the remake of Difficult Death? You...really don't recognize me?"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"So you're an actor? Ok, good for you, good for you. There used to be good money in that business. But no, never watched movies. Never paid any attention to the adverts either. You pick up any useful skills doing your acting? You know I read something once on an old dataslate I found on an abandoned asteroid mining base we were cutting up for scrap. About the greatest actor who ever lived, the prince of his generation! That's what it said, anyway. His name was Shia LeBouf, and apparently he was a cannibal. But a drat good actor. That's all it said, anyway. All that I can remember. You heard of him?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

As you use the bathroom, Cal remarks. "How did you go into cryo-sleep medicated? How would you have gotten contraband on board? Hmmm... you need a nice soup. A bone broth."

"To cure you max." The smell of beef bone broth and other foods greets you when you enter the mess hall.

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Cal speaks. "It is possible max. All that is needed is either Captain Max or MAX to log onto VR."

"The dive suits are located in the VR suite."

"No chief max, I do not want you to urinate on me."

You are guided to the restroom where you urinate into the toilet. "You need more protein and less sugar."

The system was quite advanced, based on your biometrics and what you needed. The ship could put anything into your food.

A delicious aroma touched your nostrils as you entered the mess hall. Food set out for each of you.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

After a good, long piss, Chief entered the mess hall. "Cal, I'm giving you an order as the, uh, ranking Max on the ship. Nothing is to be added to our food, you got that? No sedatives, no medicines, nothing. Now get me some tacos."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

So it was limited in some fashion. Still he needed time to formulate a plan, and time was something they no longer had. Still, he supposed he ought to go along with the eating thing before one of the drone's attacked him. So, he followed their instructions, still he would make sure he didn't waste a second. "Cal, while I eat, I'll need you to provide an interactive holographic interface I can control with voice commands." The planet had a gravity of 4g's. That'd be enough to induce greyouts in a human being, and long term exposure would almost certainly result in fatal damage to the heart and organs within days if not sooner. In the short term they could maybe rig up some sort of gravity generator or something off of whatever they used to control gravity aboard ship, but that was hardly a sustainable solution, and its not like they could suddenly hope that the planet would miraculously become 3/4 less massive.

So, while he ate, Joshua works to begin designing a suite of genetic modifications to allow a human to survive under those harsh conditions. Circulatory system, bone density, muscle and tendon strength, and more would all need to be altered and enhanced.

Josh is going along with eating and whatever else the bots want, but while he does so he's gonna try and start working on designing the physical adaptations that would be necessary for humans to survive under 4G conditions. Genetic Engineer[+4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jasper blinked at the response from Cal, "Uhh...contraband? I'm...not sure what you're talking about? Is there something in my body?"