Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Jasper Corrin, Entertainer ♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Jasper opened the broadband communication channel on the ship, "Okay Chief, where are we landing? Probably best to be near the forests and a source of fresh water right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Joshua finally breathes easy once the shuttle was away. For the moment at least he was safe. However, there was still so much to do before he landed. So with a deep breath to calm his nerves, Joshua turns his focus onto the practical. The planet below had a native gravity of 4Gs. That would have a rather extreme effect on the human body, meaning that survival would require support equipment... or genetic adaptation. It was that latter option which interested Josh. His own mods were astonishing enough that he had little doubt as to his ability to adapt, but his mods weren't really suitable for widespread use as his own recent encounters with the failures of that program had proven oh so painfully. No he needed something a bit more under his control than that, something of his own design.

So, having Devot set up an interface, he began to design a 4G adaptation gene mod. It would work to strengthen the muscles, bones, and organs to allow normal movement and function under the higher gravity of this new planet. He drew on his own extensive experience with genetics to put together a working adaptation mod of his own design.

Josh's gonna design a gene mod to cause the human body to adapt to the higher gravity of the new planet. He's making it from scratch, not using his own mods for reference. Genetic Engineer[+4]

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Chief" Howard Stanton ♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Chief leaned back in the comfortable chair of the shuttle and breathed a sigh of relief. He hoped that was the worst thing they would encounter on this new journey, but the cynical side of him said that things would probably only get more difficult. There were so many factors that would to be taken into account from here on out and Chief honestly didn't feel qualified. He'd led teams before, some that numbered in the hundreds, but now he'd probably be asked to head up the whole colony. Maybe he could shift that responsibility to Corrin instead. He was already a public figure figure, and devilishly handsome to boot. Yeah that might just work. Let Corrin take charge and just fade into the background. That's the way he like it. And speak of the...

"If I'm remembering those instruct-o-tapes they had us watch, water is going to be the most important resource followed by food. Shelter we've got taken care of. We've got plenty of rations for the immediate future but we're going to have to think in the long term. So water, flat open area for farming of some sort. The Mass Fab I grabbed will help with other basic resources after that, but it won't last forever. We're not in a survival situation, Corrin. We have to think sustainability. Any ideas yourself?"

Chief left that channel open and tried to tight-beam over to the other shuttle. Collins is that you? Did You make it out as well. Were you able to learn anything?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Chief Stanton, is that you? Were there any other survivors?"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Chief" Howard Stanton ♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Yeah it's me. Corrin survived as well and we've got shuttles full of cryochambers amd equipment. We managed to disable the FTL before these... uh... things attacked. I didn't think we'd survive but somehow we did. Anwyay, Corrin and I are going to stick together and I think you should come to. Up to you.

But still, you learn anything at all? The specs on this planet don't really make it seems that invitings. 4Gs is going to be very harsh. That might be an understatement."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Good to hear. The planet has water and apparently carbon based plant life at least. As for what I learned..." Josh pauses, unsure if he should share what he had discovered what effect it might have on the others. Still they had to know something was up.

"Look, it seems like Earth Command has secretly modified us. Like what they did is next level... I'm not even sure I'd call us human anymore. We're effectively now a superior life form."

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jasper spent a few minutes thinking about what the various documentaries he had seen and read about said about new colonies before responding, "I think we would be best served setting near a ready supply of natural resources then. With your fabricator we can turn the wood or ores into what we need, and minimizing the distance between where we collect resources and where the fabricator is set-up would limit where the natives could intercept our workers when we inevitably anger them for caring more about industry than nature. Plus it'll be a lot easier to convince people to chop down a tree that's 20 feet from the base than 2 miles."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Modified us? Ok going to need you to summarize here. Modified us how? Hold on let me patch Corrin in too." Chief fiddled with the control panel. "Alright Corrin, Collins is here and all three of us survived. Collins says that Earth Command modified us somehow. I've asked him to summarize as best as he can. Then maybe we should figure out where to set up shop. Corrin had a good idea and I think we should go with that but I'd also like to hear your take Collins."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"I haven't had time to study it in depth, but we're talking about a near complete genetic rewrite. We're now effectively immortal, our bodies will regenerate themselves, and so much more. What happened up there, with those... things. It's because of the modifications, they were already dead even before Max killed them."

"As for the planet, I'm planning to land somewhere separate from you. I don't think it's wise to put all of our eggs into one basket where a single natural disaster could wipe us out."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Sweet baby cyberjesus..." Chief thinks hard for a moment. "Yeah that makes sense, the landing thing I mean. Ok while the ship is in orbit our long range communications should still work, at least. Ok.. yeah."

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"Being far enough apart that a single disaster won't destroy the colony isn't a bad idea...but we do run the risk of one of us falling to a smaller disaster that the united group could stand against. Staying in contact, and close enough to provide aid to each other makes sense...but we need to be close enough to visit *without* the shuttles. If we split up then we probably wan to be within 75 to 100 miles of each other. Close enough to visit after a week of traveling by foot, but far enough away that something like an earthquake isn't likely to affect all the settlements? Do we want to do 3 settlements or 2?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"I think your overestimating how far you can travel by foot in a week if you think that's far enough to avoid an earthquake or other similar disaster. No, I plan to land a bit farther away than that."

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"What do you mean? An average day of hiking you can cover 20 to 25 miles without too much trouble. If I push it I can usually hit 30 miles in a day myself."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"What I mean is that a large scale seismic event or the sort of storm which might be a thread would cover a wider distance than that. Being that close would make separating pointless."

He's being honest enough, though all this talk of preserving humanity was merely a cover for his true reason to separate. He had seen the shape of things to come, their modifications meant that the settlements would inevitably come to revolve around them. Things would be stable for a time, but eventually the lessers would chafe under their dominating role in society. Joshua had enough of chaos, and be very much doubted they would have the stomach to prevent it. No, better to be apart, away from their prying eyes so he could maintain good relations with them while still doing what was necessary to secure his own primacy. After all, he doubted they would approve of what he had planned, and it would be much easier for all of them if he was distant.

"Anyhow, you two can land close together of you'd like, but I plan to land somewhat distant. We'll still have the shuttles and radio contact to use if needed."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"I doubt there's any talking him out of it, Corrin. But he makes a good point. You and I are best suited for pooling our resources together, Collins is best suited for making hordes of clones to do his bidding like some sort of movie villain." Chief laughed to show it was a joke. "Anyway, Corrin's got a nice spot picked out so we'll set down there. You go to your hollowed out volcano lair, heh. Kidding."

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"Alright man. Here is the coordinates that I'm thinking for Chief and I to settle. It's at the edge of a forest next to a river that feeds one of the larger lakes downstream. Figure we've got expansion opprutunities up and down the river, and the forest will make good materials for us. Shoot us your co-ordinates and we can maybe set-up some trades between our two cities for resources."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Once I select a site I'll let you know. I have some other matters to attend to first. Over and out." With that Josh once more turned his attention to his work on the gene mod.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Chief and Jasper - Colony 1 Landing Site
♡[/b]♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
♡[/b]♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

As the ships land you are spared the harsh gravity by the ship's systems. You land by a green area surrounded by grassland, forest, by the river you both saw from orbit. Outside of this ring of green is the baked clay earth.

Your superior genes allowed you to heal and more importantly adapt to any environment. It was however a tangled and almost neigh impossible masterwork that even your orbiting friend Joshua would take forever to figure out. What you surmise is that earth command made quite a few of you into progenitors of the new humanity, or something beyond.

The ships and living quarters would keep the harsh 4g gravity out so that everyone could rest and have respite. Most of the adults that came with you would have brutal lives, but the children you would have likely would not suffer similarly. Just as you would become immune to it, eventually.

The base camp was well under way, with robotic help.

You have landed!

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥[/b]

The modification itself wasn't hard. But human is what Joshua needed, not...post-human. So with a bit of finess and a few trade offs, Joshua perfected the 4G mod for his soon to be new camp followers. The people would be shorter, like 5ft 5 at maximum, slightly wider, heavily muscled and strong. Bones, and the support systems like the heart, lungs, and others were tweaked as well to allow for the people to not only survive but to also be comfortable in that environment.

The men and women Joshua brought with him would not benefit, but their children and by extension [the 3d printed cells that would form embryos would have this process perfected and with ,little to no side effects]. While the capability for grown clones existed, there was a level of complexity there like working on the fully formed crew.

There are three ways to apply this:
1. modify existing crew [regular potential drawback, potential bonus] and their children get it.
2. create embryos, to have the unmodified crew birth [small potential drawback, smaller potential bonus]
3. Create fully grown 3d printed clones (no need to wake the crew, always have genetic material) [Largest potential bonus, small guaranteed secondary bonus, associated drawback]

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Josh smiled in triumph as he succeeded at completing the modification. It felt good being able to use his skills to have something under his control after the horror onboard the ship. Still, that was only the first phase of his plans, a prerequisite to any additional modifications. Now that he’d gotten the 4G adaptation out of the way, Joshua turned his focus to ensuring his control over his new settlement. With his modifications he was now different from the rest, barely even human. In time, it seemed likely that would lead to at best friction between him and baseline humans, and likely something much worse. He had survived the end of earth, the horror on the ship, he’d be damned if he was going to let anything like that happen again. He had the power now, and he was going to use it.

If he really wanted to be safe, really wanted to be comfortable, he would need to take steps to ensure that the people of his settlement would perpetually bend to his will and protect him at all costs. To do that there was only one sure way, he would see if he could write undying loyalty to him into their very genes. That meant he would need to tinker with the brain. He had Devot set up some interfaces, and he set to work trying to figure out the right changes to make to achieve his goal without interfering too much with their ability to function. This was a complex process, too complex for a simple change. No… an idea came to him. Perhaps what he needed was something that would oversee and manage the rest of the brain for him. A small sub-brain of sorts, tied into the dopamine reward system and other areas of the brain, one that was designed to foster intense feelings of loyalty and devotion towards him. To ensure that the people would be ever eager to serve and protect him. With his knowledge of neural-nets he should be able to design it so that the lobe didn’t require any training or upkeep, and tie it into the existing systems to ensure the main brain functioned as he wanted it to.

Working with Devot he would try and develop this loyalty lobe in such a way as to maximize its use while minimizing any negative side effects it may have. His groundbreaking research was on neural networks, and he would use it to design this miniature sub-brain to be as full-proof as possible. Devot would be useful for providing simulations of the effects of various designs on the human brain so he could finetune his work and try and detect any potential issues while still in the design phase.

Designing a mod to try and genetically hardwire in unwavering loyalty to Josh. Trying to design a tiny sub-lobe of the brain tied into the dopamine reward and other systems, that’s there to ensure the person is perpetually loyal and devoted to him. Neural Net Pioneer [+2] to cover his knowledge of the brain and its effect on the mind, Genetic Engineer[+4] for the implementation. Using my AI’s help as much as I can.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

After landing Jasper opened his coms channel to Chief's frequency, "Okay so, I'm thinking we want to let the robots set things up a bit, then we can open the capsules and welcome people to their new home. With the gravity being what it is, the computer is suggesting that we keep the shuttles at a lighter gravity to give people a place to relax, but we want to make sure future children are born and raised in the new heavier gravity. I'm thinking with the pre-fab homes the bots will have things set-up by the end of the week enough for people to be able to have a place to stay out of the elements. We should probably spend the time figuring out how we want to keep people busy...I don't think we want to just have everyone hooked up to the VR the whole time."

Pausing to see what Chief had to say, Jasper began to roughly sketch out a potential base lay-out on his computer and sent it over as an image, "I'm also thinking this could be our initial encampment set-up? We should probbly do some scouting outside the treeline to see if the way that it ends is a caused by some kind of animal that we'll end up having to defend the base against."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief looked over everything Corrin sent over while the former actor spoke. "This is good Corrin, this is very good. Guess you do have some brains under those muscles. Good, good, that will make it much easier to put you in charge." The old engineer takes an ePen and makes some changes then sends it back to Corrin. "Using your setup, let's see if we can't use both shuttles to extend the gravity reduction via another covered bridge to both the housing units and the workshops. Those 4 Gs are going to be brutal so you can I might want to spend as much time as we can stand outside. Collins mentioned these bodies they gave us should adapt quickly. These workshops you got marked out will be good for a distraction. The people I brought are very hands-on and will probably want to work as much as possible."

Chief added a building next to the robot lumber camp. "We also might want to set up an early maintenance area for the bots here. I don't have the specs on these bots but I'm guessing they were built for 4 Gs in mind, that means they are going to need more preventative work to make sure they'll last. At least until I can figure out a solution. The Fabricator, who I've decided to call Rosie, will be able to knock out the prefabbed rockcrete slabs that we're used to seeing, which means we can get the bots to get this waterway here under control. Depending on the strength of the flow, we may be able to get hydroelectric out of it, and at the very least we'll have controlled easy access to fresh water."

Chief sends over the changes. "What do you think?"

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"This looks good chief. We can also put a farm up at the top of the settlement by the river to start providing food instead of relying upon fabrication. Do we have any idea how long the fabricator and VR facility are likely to last? Maybe get an idea of what materials we'd need to get to fabricate repair parts to try to stave off losing access to the machines."

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Realized I put in no action. Jasper will be exploring the clearing to see if there is anything of interest within it, as well as outside of the clearing. Setting an automated wake-up on the ship to bring the people in the pods online once all the infrastructure is established in case something happens to him while he's looking around. No idea if any of my skills apply for this.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

While Corrin was out getting a lay of the land, Chief was inside with the plans making sure the bots were programmed and the Mass Fabricator was set up properly.

Using Engineering +4, Fabrication +2, and Mass Fabricator +2 in order to get the our starting colony set up the way we are envisioning it. Not only using the bots, but Chief's own manual labor as well if its required.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The design had many benefits. Many. Once he designed the symbiote. He found that since it was made from brain cells and nerve tissue almost completely it was functionally an immortal piece of flesh. The downside is that it could not go inside a body or inside of the skull. However, it would do everything Josh wanted. They would only be compatible with the people Josh would create and their descendants. However, genetic purity would be a must.

The symbiote would push tendrils into the genetically compatible host from the base of the skull and spine and had olfactory sensors all over its toughened flesh to "smell" Joshua.

It looked like a starfish with very very fine threadlike hairs. They weren't intelligent per se. But would feed the brain of the individual with all of the feelings of loyalty and wellbeing from just being around and doing what Josh asked.

Ok this was a huge order & the roll failed but, rather than make mutants or some disaster you end up coming up with a symbiote that can be reused on the death of the host. It will always be too big to fit inside someone's head [permanent drawback], however it can just hang out on the back of their neck and head. They won't be super visible but if someone looks or undresses them they will find it. Yes someone might try and remove it, but it will gently caress up whoever its attached to [mentally definitely, and or physically possibly]. The further away from your modified genestock the descendants go, the harder it will be to take one on. However, if say your society is based on gaining it as a goal, it could have other benefits to cohesion as a group. The symbiotes work like your usual mind control good feeling well being drug loop of positive reinforcement and your pheromones and scent trigger this when you're around. Almost a religious hint to the anticipation, which can be cultivated. They will fell good by doing good [what Josh wants or they think he would want] (with or without Josh's presence). They won't be error free but they will be loyal as much as people raised with symbiots can be. Which is alot. Bloodlines will be a thing. But I think in your society that could work out well for you.

Jasper finds the going rough. Like reeeeeaaaaaally rough. He found that it took the breath out of him just walking around. However, your body after a few minutes of rest. Seemed to bounce back. You didn't feel hungry or thirsty. You didn't know what the limit would be of your body. But you feel your muscles burning like a good workout. You were going to be ripped if you spent enough time on this world.

As you come over the rise of a hill, Jasper finds something...curious. There was a small entrance on the other side. A cave? Or an old dwelling?

Mystery hole!

The gravity setup actually would work. Over the settlement area, gravity would only be 2x earth normal. Which was much better. However rather than hundreds of years worth of power, the settlement would depower both ships in 100 years due to battling the planet over an area plus fabricator use.

Rosie began fabricating the slabs and all the bots began helping construct everything. It would take weeks and maybe months, but everything would be built. With lumber, clean water, and some elbow grease the settlers/colonists would have an easier time of it.

You will have all of it eventually, but know that your power will not last as long. Your nuclear power that is. It takes alot to run a fabricator and the gravity normalization tech. Almost as much as running the ship engines. Lessening/Increasing the gravity by one point earth will cost 50 years in either direction. However its over a wide area and you can have more hands helping you (with breaks).

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

A cave huh? Well *clearly* this needed to be explored. Can't just let a cave be unexplored so close to camp. But...Jasper had seen enough of the old films to know that going in without first checking back in to camp was a bad idea.

"Cheif, I've found a cave entrance nearby. Gonna do a brief exploration of it and see if there is any worry about anything inside it. Should be back in within an hour or so."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♡♡♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Joshua smiled as he began to see his plans coming together. Already the wheels were turning in his head. The first step would be to pick a landing spot. It was a perfect task to be assigned to the AI he had constructed, Devot. The AI would be able to review the entire surface and locate the sight that best met the criteria Josh provided. The criteria were fairly straightforward, any settlement would need a source of fresh water where he could set up the water purification system. He would also need plentiful biomass for his printer. Lastly he would need to be located away from the others. He wasn't particularly interested in drawing their attention overmuch.

Tasking Devot to identify a landing site. Search conditions are: 1. Near a source of fresh water, 2. with as much nearby biomass as possible, 3. away from the other landing site.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The expanded gravity field had worked, which please the Chief. He briefly acknowledged Corrin's transmission about the cave then got to work setting up the workshops they would need for the long term. Tooling machines, autofabs, autolathes, autohammers, machine pullers, carpentry manufactories... the list was endless. But step one was to make the machine that would make the tools needed to expand and flourish. The Mass Fabricator would help with getting the basic materials down, past that it was mostly elbow grease and making sure the bots knew what to do to help.

Setting up basic toolmaking and automation facilities in the Workshop area. Engineer +4. Fabrication +2. Mass Fabricator +2. Basically making it so a colonist just need to load in the materials, press button, receive tool. Make sense? Ok.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
UPDATE:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4GbGmvNRc

"Chief" Howard Stanton ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The work proceeded apace and your amazing body soon felt better than it ever had. The gravity was a slight strain on you but your body and muscles adapted quite well. You didn't need to sleep much, or eat or drink, but had an inkling that for all your body's efficiency that doing so was a good idea. You put dirt and other materials into the mass fabricator and remembered that your would need lots of materials to make more complex ones and the more complex material you put in the less needed to get workable metal and other needed plastics. Sand from the shore of the water and trees helped.

The tool fabbers made most tools without chemical or working parts. But Chief could make cogs and other parts and then put those together.

The strain was a lot less on the colonists and with plenty of scheduled work breaks, soon had a working colony of shelters, and buildings. Frameworks to hold all of the future equipment you wanted were there and beds and furnishings were coming along.

Glass was alot harder to make, and oddly kept shattering upon its creation. While you didn't hear anything, most colonists say they can hear a constant humming sound. Almost as if the world itself was making it. While it was annoying, most people were able to tune it out.

-=Jasper has been missing out exploring for over a month.=- Radio contact was cut off, you couldn't leave the colony until the work was completed because the colonists did have alot of bad issues due to how you all got here and you as the defacto leader needed to handle this. (A roll in the background determined this outcome vs just screwing you over with mass suicide etc.)

You can reconstitute and refine materials with the fabber, and the tools and parts are able to made from that. The less "worth" of what you put into it, the more needed to get something "better". Obviously you can't make chemical reactive things like bombs, but you can make base things and then combine that. All the frames for all the buildings and the walls and roofs are in, most frameworks for what you want. Beds and rooms. The colonists x2 are dealing with the increased gravity and along with double the bots and power, lots of things are getting done quickly even if power consumption is very high. They all can hear a low grade humming sound (easily tuned out) that you do not hear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2U-JW52jDQ
The cave was dark and deep, as Jasper clicked on his flashlight, he began to spelunk inside. As he crossed the threshold he felt as if he was being punched in the gut, and suddenly a migraine unlike anything he ever experienced struck him between the eyes. He felt sick and like he was going to vomit. But then the feeling soon passed.

As he approached around a bend the light behind him from the entrance seemed to come and go. Probably clouds. As he walked deeper into the cave, soon he could see light. Purple and green lichen grew on the walls and ceiling, small pools of water and other rock formations soon gave way to smooth stone and eventually, Jasper stopped.

Before him. Sitting. Squat and ugly, was a statue. As he continued curiously into the cave, like out of a movie of old more carvings, wall decorations, and...symbols? words? Idols or statues depicting people or things that looked alot like people but almost as wide as they were tall decorated the walls and showed different scenes.

A glow deeper into the cave eminated from an altar. Jasper paused. It was surrounded by bones, and calcified corpses in a radius around the glowing altar. Something or a pile of something sat in a bowl and sparkled with brillance. Jasper could feel something like...heat on his face and front of his body. As he extended his hand towards it, the feeling of tingling intensified.

Several piles of dust sat in front and next to the altar. Along its length were astrological symbols he surmised, though he was no expert. Pictures of astrological time scales. The beings closest to him, mummified as they were did not look human at all. Though the resemblance was near enough for all their weird shapes. Humanoid.

Mystery. No healing for you, as you are constantly taking damage at the moment. You have been in the cave for about an hour.

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Your weeks in space saw you recover. Your bodily efficient systems requiring less sleep, food, and water. The location of Jasper and Chief's spot was able to soon be seen from space. The night time showing the settlement lit from space. Weather and lightning showed a vista of beauty as the world passed below. Small fires and other phenomena (a few volcanic) showed up.

Devot soon found the perfect landing site. It was 200 miles from the other settlement. So while not impossibly far away it was perfect and had wooded areas, fertile soil, a small lake, a small river tributary (but not large enough for shipping). It gave way to small grassland before that turned into scrub and sandy desert and baked clay. Several herds of very large herbivores (think like a short necked, short tailed brontosaurus, more long than tall) placidly wandered around. It seemed their diets consisted of mainly grasses and any foliage close enough to the ground for them to eat. While they could probably knock trees over to eat from them, they didn't. Some kind of evolutionary trait to not destroy their only food sources keeping them in check. It was fascinating to watch. There were mammals of course and birds of all shapes in size from normal terran history size to the big animals that could rival some dinosaurs. It was odd because all the animals were like hulked out versions or just longer wider versions of what would have evolved on earth. It could be the high G environment or something they were eating. However, this was all conjecture as he was in space.

There is a perfect site 200 miles from the other settlement.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Perfect, Joshua smiled at Devot's results, not to mention how amazing his body now felt. He gave the order to set down. Once the ship was landed, it was simple to task Devot with tasking the drones to assemble the pre-made longhouse while he remained onboard the shuttle and got to work. First he used the bio-printer to print the a gene-mod and symbiote for each of his 12 passengers. Then, he personally oversaw the installation of the 4G gene mods and the symbiotes for each passenger. Only once he was sure the gene-mods were fitted and the symbiotes were firmly anchored to each colonist's nervous system were the colonists awakened.

Ordering Devot to set the shuttle down at the site. Then tasking the drones to start construction of the pre-fab buildings. While they do that, I'll start gene-modding and symbioting the colonists. Genetic Engineer[+4], Neural Net Pioneer[+2], & Bio-Printer[+2] to ensure the process goes smoothly.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

A tingling sensation that was emanating from the rocks. Clearly they exuded some form of energy. Picking them up bare handed would be foolish, but leaving a disturbed tomb underneath a newly founded colony was just asking for trouble. Jacob walked around the room searching for something that could hold the rocks, acting as a satchel or bucket to carry them out of the cave. He'd return later with some kind of camera to get picture of the hieroglyphics.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

"Alright, try it again!" Chief shouted out as he slid from under the prefab housing unit. A hand with a thumbs up stuck out the window, it worked. "Finally! Running water!"

It had been a chore to get the thin river that flowed through the center of their town into the plasticrete channel they had dug, but now they had both some hydroelectric to help offset the shuttle generators as well as running water. Chief pulled himself the rest of the way out. He was covered in dirt, grease, and other undesirable filth. It felt great, to be honest. Working like this was always what gave him the greatest pleasure in life. He began to wipe his hands on a rag that was already dirty as he looked at everything they had accomplished so far.

Time to set up some waterworks! +4 Engineering +2 Fabrication +2 Mass Fabricator to get it all set up. Some simple hydroelectric and water amenities like running water and irrigation for crops.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The colonists were implanted and would be awoken on planet. It would take a few weeks and they may be suspicious of their new found feelings for Joshua as they took hold. But within a few months they wouldn't want to think about it as the gene mods would make it so they were thinking about you in other ways.

Joshua's muscles rippled and his body felt the greatest it had ever felt. That was until the ship slammed to the side before re-entry.

The ship of CAL suddenly loomed on the view screen. The massive ship dwarfing your shuttlecraft. How could something so big have snuck up on you?

Devot chimed over the speakers with concern.
"CAL used the shadow of the planet on a passive trajectory behind the existing moons to mask her presence...We are being hailed...and fired upon. By...<<processing>>... Maintenance drones on the hull of CAL. It looks to be some kind of modified rail gun system. We have taken no damage."

Another shot glanced off of your ship's hull. No damage.

Devot deadpans: "Do you wish to answer the message?""

Each update where you remained in orbit, I had my ferrets roll the dice for an event. This one. CAL has not penetrated your hull and is hailing you. Devot can set you down. You can choose whether or not to answer the communication and just set down like originally planned [avoiding the event is a choice]. Or engage with the event. The prefab buildings will be hand waved if / when you set down for some colonist characterizations post implant after the event.
If possible do you want to sketch the base you will build as well? That way you

The electricity powered lighting and basic tools (think 20th-21st century) as well as many personal items and regular computers (such as the VR suites) but the larger fabbers, bots, and ship machinery it was but a trickle to them. It made sense as the power systems on the ships had the more godly generation systems on them (nuclear) vs the self-regenerating kind that CAL had (refuels from gas giants or solar gasses).

The water would be a great boon to getting some crops started. The colonists were wiped out at the end of every day, but some...had time to try and get to know Chief better. The human race did need to procreate and Chief seemed to be a superman. In many ways to the eyes of the women and the envy of some of the male colonists. This hadn't turned ugly yet, and an almost "Brother husband" or "Sister wives" type pairings/groupings were beginning to form. Every configuration wanted either Chief or Jasper as an either permanent or rotating member.

One of the women brought Chief a tall glass of lemonade. Made with real lemons! Another tried to feed him strawberries.

A thought occurred to Chief when thinking about all this attention: Hey, wasn't someone missing for over a month of real time?

You had some trees and plants from bio stores, once the water was up everyone and the bots helped plant and get things going. The colonists are also ready to get the population started (Rated G or PG). a simple "got x started" will work for the biology part]. The power system will do basic power grid things. The bots and other big stuff would take some feats of engineering and stuff you would either have to find or refine.

You are also 100% healed so hearts up~

Jasper Corrin, Entertainer ♡:siren::siren:
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

This death was the most painful out of any experienced so far. So much so, Jasper *almost* went insane as your body tried to cope with every step Jasper took towards and finally touching the stones.

You awake screaming.
There is now a partial dust / partial mummy of you on the dais.

Your *new* regenerated body (brain cells and all) [think like deadpool] regenerated from your left hand and grew away from the source of your destruction. Like a star fish or some kind of intelligent plant away from the source. Your left hand is the only original piece of you left, you now realize.

You knew now what it was like to be hundreds of years old, bones brittle and shattering when you fell as you aged, what a body would feel like decomposing but still alive in the grave, unable to do anything but rot. However your mind did not break.

What did earth command do to all of you? Also what the hell were these stones? Gripped in your left hand was one of the stones. Dark and not glowing. The buring sensation from the altar still persisted in the cave. you have only been in here for a short time. perhaps it was time to go back and see chief?

<This one effect of the stones was beneficial as accelerated time could help jump-start the colony. What other properties did they have?>

Ok the roll for something bad not to happen was really really high. essentially your regeneration could not catch up with the time dilation effects of the stones which aged you the closer you got. The itching and burning sensation was your cells and nervous system dying off and being regenerated as fast as your miraculous body could go. There is, however a limit. You have a spent stone and while hard, it would not be impossible to get and collect the stones if done differently.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

[quote="I am Communist" post="513639524"]

Jasper Corrin, Entertainer ♡:siren::siren:
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

...Well that was a problem. Time to take this back to the surface so the Chief can look at things and maybe come up with a way of using this power safely...maybe we can set-up some kind of "growing" zone down here of some sort. Regardless, Jasper felt like it was time to head back to the surface and take a break. Chief was probably getting worried by this point...

during the walk to the cave keep using the radio to signal out until he gets a response, repeating the same message, "Hey chief, it's Jasper, on my way out now, got some rocks for you to look at."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

quote:

Communications channel opens. An image of CAL on one side and one of Devot on the right hand side. CAL sniffs, "Greetings [maxXMax], I am calling to inform you...you...WTF MAX! So you've replaced me with...with with. YOU'RE CHEATING ON ME MAX!???!1" The placid blue eyes are changed out for the creature running CAL's firewall. "I've been calling and leaving you messages all day. And now its come to this?"

Josh looks over at the projection. "Why are you interfering with my descent path?"

"All business then. Fine. Whatever." She rolls her eyes at you. "Since someone was blocking my messages, I was calling to tell you all of the colonists are ready. In my scans I can see there is a large settlement down there too. Are you sure you're picking the right spot being so far away from your friends?"

"A single settlement is too vulnerable to an unpredictable natural disaster. Setting up a second site is the logical way to protect the project."

"Far be it for me to second guess your choices then. Good luck mAx. Though you and the crew saved me, you've also condemned me to watch & perv on you. Think of me from time to time. Maybe tell the kids about me?" CAL sounded a bit sad at that.

Once the communication was over, Josh's shuttle resumed its descent to the surface. As it went down, Josh oversaw the final orders for the drones which would be building the pre-fab structures. Rather than a number of separate structures, it would be easiest to amalgamate them all into a single large structure, centralize all the core functions under one roof. On earth it would've been a tower, but that didn't seem structurally sound on a planet with 4 times earth's gravity. No, perhaps a pyramid would better, it would be more stable at the very least.

Continuing the drop. Having the drones amalgamate all the pre-fab buildings into a single structure.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chief wasn't blind to the advances made by the colonists but he felt that the work of building was more important at this time. In order to be truly successful what was needing for any great work was a strong and sturdy framework. Besides, Jasper had been gone for nearly a month and Chief was getting worried. Nearly every day he was hanging around the communications hub, now equipped with less advanced but less power hungry basic radio equipment for colonist use, trying to get a signal from Jasper. When he finally came he could admit that it felt like breathing for the first time again. "Muscle jesus on a crack, Jasper, where have you been? Have you been looking at rocks the whole time? Get your add back here, we need to talk."

building a comm hub so colonists can keep in contact during work, helping to ensure that problems are taken care of swiftly and cutting down on emergencies. Space OSHA would be proud.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The weeks saw the drones completing most of the work on the pryamid with the Joshua's quarters and offices at the peak with the command and control center below it. At the bottom was the sewer, water reclamation, power and other functions. The colonists didn't seem to ask many questions, as processing the horrible knowledge of the ship and the many deaths as well as helping with survival kept them busy. Too busy to notice how they felt about Joshua. Joshua found that people went out of their way to wave and say hello. Often lingering around. He caught a few people smiling at him happily then shaking their heads and going about their work when he noticed.

One particular colonist took it upon himself to become Joshua's personal assistant. Jason handed Joshua a cup of coffee and several reports that were generated daily. The reports had statistics on construction, resources, power levels and the overall issues of the colony. There weren't many at this point. No one could see Joshua without an appointment, and Jason saw to it that Joshua's time would not be wasted with people visiting just to say HI. and lingering for hours.

The structure is almost complete, the land around remains for exploitation and exploration. Weasel dice were rather uneventful.

The radio was short range, meaning only about 300 miles. But it would ensure that so long as the tower was up, people could communicate. The communicators from the ship took lots of power (even if the power supplies were small) so these lower tech variants were ideal. There was a kind of, background hum or signal that seemed to be present. Could be from magnetic or another source, the planet was different than earth for certain.

Comm Center built. With your power generation in mind vs the system that would fail in a few hundred years. No random events, [weasel dice].

Jasper Corrin, Entertainer ♡♡♡
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The hike back was mostly uneventful, except that things looked...slightly different. It wasn't anything overt, but the path looked like it had rained a few times, trees slightly different. Blooming flowers where no flowers were before. It was hard to put a finger on.

The beast stalking Jasper didn't make itself appear, but Jasper could hear it rustling loudly whenever he turned to try and see it. By the time he got back to the camp he could see that it had almost sprung up in a few hours? That couldn't be right. The local predator didn't come close to the lights of the settlement but Jasper could see a set of three eyes looking at him from the darkening grasses. Perhaps a native cat of some kind?

You are back, and there is a large settlement where once there was camp

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Josh leaned back in his chair from his office near the top of the pyramidal colony building. It was good to be in charge, he thought as he reviewed the reports provided to him by his new assistant. The symbiotes seemed to be taking well, and construction was proceeding apace. That meant he had a little bit of time to focus on other tasks, first and foremost understanding the exact nature of the changes that had been done to him. He could already tell they were extraordinary. The regeneration, the adaptation, the improved strength and durability, and who knew what else. It was something he would need to study in detail. There was so much use that might be wrung out of what was inside of him, but it was also an unknown factor, at least for now, and that could not be tolerated.

Standing up and stretching, Josh summoned Jason and informed him that he would be in the lab if he was needed. Once he arrived, before he began to work proper, Josh made sure he was alone then signaled to Devot. He had made sure the AI would be fully integrated into all aspects of the building, so he could make use of the AI anywhere and for a number of uses. "Devot, while I'm studying the modifications, I want you to develop a series of activities for the colonists. They should be such that they provide additional stimulus and material to facilitate the symbiotes molding of their personalities. Of course, they should appear innocuous to the colonists, but I want to begin to acclimatize them to serving me." He answered whatever questions the AI might have about its assignment and provided any additional refinement, then turned to the project at hand.

He already had access to the full sequence, but he'd only had a chance to review it briefly onboard the ship. Now, he began to study it in more detail, to apply all his knowledge of the field to decoding just what the modifications were and how they worked.

Josh is gonna spend some time to studying his gene mods, with the intent of understanding how they work and isolating individual trails he can use in stand-alone mods. Genetic Engineer[+4]. While he does that he's tasking Devot with coming up with a slate of activities designed to facilitate the symbiotes' effects on the colonists.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The chair that Chief was lounging in, a glass of cold, fresh water in hand, wasn't the most comfortable thing in the universe, but it was the first to come out of the workshops in Corrin's Landing. The first step in what should be a booming industry. The varied skillsets of the two groups of settlers had merged very well and now the colony had nearly all the basics it would need for sustained survival. What Collins had going for him, Chief couldn't begin to fathom. Holding of the dataslate, he began to take stock of everything.

Colony Assets:
  • Settlers: 24
  • Energy:
    1 Hydroelectric facility
    2 Shuttles w/ Self-recycling Fusion
    6 Solar Stations

• Assets:
    16 Sets of basic tools/equipment
    10 Set of heavy tools/equipment
    5 years worth of rations per 12 settlers
    Musical Instruments
    Massage therapy supplies

• Facilities:
    1 Mass Fabricator [Mass Fabrication +2]
    1 VR Entertainment & Education Suite [Recreation Center +2]
    1 Fabrication workshop
    1 Lumber Camp (robotic)
    1 Repair pad + station (robotic)
    4 Charging stations (robotic)
    12 Small housing units capable of housing 2 settlers
    Various farming and field areas
    1 Basic communications hub w/ 300 mile broadcast range
    1 Water reclamation unit (emergency use only)
    1 Fully stocked and power kitchen/cafeteria
    1 Wide area gravity nullification system (50 year lifespan)

• Skillsets:
    Maintenance
    Construction
    Structural Engineering
    Culinary Arts
    Massage Therapy
    Psychiatry
    Therapy
    Music/Entertainment

• Robots:
    4 Heavy Construction
    20 Medium Maintenance
    30 Small Assistance

And that was where the problem lay. Other than Dr. Subramonium Das and his wife Dr. Via, the psychiatrist and one of the massage therapists, there were no medical professionals in the colony. Especially nobody who specialized in the kinds of problems that could appear during pregnancy and childbirth. The settlers had begun feeling the urges common when one stuffed people together and things were eventually going to happen whether wanted or not. The VR Suite that Jaspar had brought had an extensive knowledge and data retrieval system, but no real method of teaching.

Chief set aside the dataslate. Dr. Das and his wife both had their MDs and knew the basic, perhaps they could come up with a course of some sort. In any case they could at least help design a clinic, which was desperately needed.

It didn't help that Jaspar was missing, either. He was supposed to be the face of the colony, it's charismatic leader. They had even named the damned place after him, just so he would feel better being thrust into the limelight he obviously thrived in. But where was the damned man?

Alright taking a series of actions designed to take time to accomplish. First is construction a medical clinic, just a real basic couple of rooms for treatment and minor surgery if needed. [+4] Engineering, [+2] Fabrication, [+2] Mass Fabricator to get it built. Next using the VR Suite's knowledge base to get [+2] Rec Center and maybe try to teach a couple people how to deliver a baby because that's happening one way or another. Not sure how colonist skillsets are represented but psychiatry requires an MD so our shrink at least went through medical school before specializing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Jasper Corrin, Entertainer ♡♡♡
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Jasper felt something was off, he had to send the information out and as a general broadcast.

:siren:
The information was the location of the cave, his loss of time, the bodies and their various mummification and the crystals themselves. This went to Chief and Joshua as well as any ships or drop ships able to listen. When he was done, he was no longer there...

Farewell old friend

The bots didn't have too much of an issue with creating the medical clinic, the designs and Chief's know how making that easy. The supplies would be ok, but weren't extensive. The Rec center also wasn't a stretch, however there would be the potential for complications until a few generations of childbirth gave midwife experience. The psychiatrist did have medical knowledge but hadn't practiced common medicine, they would give it a try since the importance of this was not to be understated. A few massage therapists voulenteered for nurse/midwife duties as well. Which was good, since Chief probably wouldn't like forcing people to do things.

Medical and Rec center were created, though its not super stocked, the psych doctor and a few others decided to try for more medical skill and the colony was as prepared as it was going to be. The cave though, well that was either something interesting or dangerous.

Joshua Collins♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Jasper's final transmission faded as he said he no longer felt real at the end of it and any signs of him and the source of his transmission was not able to be triangulated by Devot. Almost as if it came from elsewhere. Indeed, the cave itself was a mystery...

Devot received his tasks and acknowledged them. "Compliance, Joshua." The AI looked through history to find that the 20th and 21st century had many games and activities that the cults of the past used on their servants and followers. With a few changes and modifications, they should have a hard time being able to tell. "Do you want me to deny other forms of entertainment and media except those we have modified Joshua? We could re-write all the history and learning texts of old Earth as well." The AI suggested helpfully.

As Josh began looking at the gene mods it was apparent that some would be easier to suss out than others. His own web was a complex interconnected balance. He was shocked at how much other RNA and DNA was used from every animal had ever walked the earth before or since the migration. Starfish DNA, Mammoth genes, Rhino and dolphin traits...Some plant and animal. After many hours and days, he came up with a stand alone mod.
Bone Strength [+2] - Elephant Mod 207. This makes bones sturdier as well as denser, it could pair well with the gravity mod. Breaking bones would be very hard to do as well as let the colonists lock their joints and absorb impact. There of course would be a drawback to such a mod, it was of course not perfect. Josh would know when it was applied. He knew he could come up with another mod to correct that drawback and so on but it would then in turn cause another drawback. They wouldn't ever be eliminated but, the benefits in some situations could outweigh the collective drawbacks later. The [-2] will be dice rolled, nothing equal to the benefit and would make sense. Adding more mods adds more drawbacks either cumulative or separate [a choice will be given at the time]. The more you look for mods, the more you will find. Once you apply the mod for the first time, the drawback will be revealed.

Devot will be busy. Each time you do the mod task you can get a new random mod. The cave becons, and could hold a key to what you want to do or be a trap. No way to know.

CAL - Orbit

"poop! You must." The AI insisted. Max had hacked the ship, killed most of the crew after finding out some of you were modded. You just found out yourselves. From your part of the ship, you got the updates even though comms were broken here. You could select your colony ship, packages, and take some colonists with you. The zombie-come-necromorph outbreak had begun. CAL was directing you all to your ships. Enter...

Bjarki Steinnson - Exoplanetary Cartographer - Shuttle in Orbit.

Skills:
Explorer [+2]
Survivalist [+2]
Astrophysicist [+2]
Shuttle: Option 3 - [3] Construction Bots, [4] Medium Maintenance Bots, and [6] Small Drones
Major System: Weather Analysis and Control Unit [+2]: The weather ACU would be able to map out any atmospheric and tectonic conditions on the planet, and to a medium to lesser degree affect an area of no less than 100 miles with the effects being strongest near the epicenter of the device and a sharp decline for every 5 miles outside of its effect zone.

The comm system buzzed to life as you rounded the planet from the dark side. A man calling himself Jasper had found a cave on the planet. With bodies in it. Some were mummified or decomposing, some were dust. All surrounded an alter. Without knowing the man you could think he was crazy. But the world you were supposed to go to was elsewhere, this world was alien and there was no where else to go. 4G. The pods you took had the following personnel an additional items:

(12) Crew. 4 Astronomers, 2 Hydroponics engineers. 2 Nail Salon technicians, 1 Yoga Instructor, 2 Mathmaticians.
1 Tranquilizer gun. [real guns not permitted on colony ship] 100 tranquilizer flechettes
8.5 sets of tools
4.1 sets of heavy tools
82.7 Yurts (Wooden)
15 undamaged telescopes
Food rations for 5 yrs.
1 water reclamation unit.

You could see now as night began to fall on the light side, that there were two communities lit up. You heard some radio chatter between them and have not yet decided where to land or if to respond....

Welcome! You can land near Chief or Joshua, or away from both. Joshua's settlement has fewer points of light than Chief's well lit almost 19-20th century settlement. Or call Ines.

Inès Aguilar-Roux - Shuttle in Orbit.

Skills:
Biochemistry Wunderkind [+4] - There are few things Inès’ drugs cannot cure and those only exist because she has not had the time to study them yet. Next to the vast official catalogue of high-quality ARP products, she has a plethora of off-the-books chemicals. Some are not quite legal, some haven’t really been tested yet and a few are just waiting for the corresponding disease to emerge.
Inès’ Grand Design [+2] - While her main focus lies on the research side of things, Inès has been actively campaigning against what she calls conscious alteration of humans. Her natural charisma and the best coaches and publicists money can buy have allowed her to build a growing fanatical following.
Major System:
Universal Chemical Synthesizer [+2]: [gm]::It will not break down materials or transmute them like the mass fabricator (non reactive compounds).[you can make acid though if you have the materials already] But acts as a recombinator not unlike a bio printer(living material). Only this can make reactive compounds not limited to chemical reactions like explosions or drug/medicine. interactions

[Option 1:] [5] Large Construction Bots: Bruisers and heavy lifting.

The comm system buzzed to life as you rounded the planet from the dark side. A man calling himself Jasper had found a cave on the planet. With bodies in it. Some were mummified or decomposing, some were dust. All surrounded an alter. Without knowing the man you could think he was crazy. But the world you were supposed to go to was elsewhere, this world was alien and there was no where else to go. 4G. The pods you took had the following personnel an additional items:

(12) Crew. 4 deli workers, 3 Herbalists 2 Industrial Fishermen 1 Philosophy Professor, 1 Comic Book Shop owner, 1 Salesman.

3 sets of tools
1 sets of heavy tools
5 Metal Warehouses
9 Meat processing devices
70 barrels of base chemicals
Food rations for 5 yrs.
1 water reclamation unit.

You could see now as night began to fall on the light side, that there were two communities lit up. You heard some radio chatter between them and have not yet decided where to land or if to respond....

Welcome! You can land near Chief or Joshua, or away from both. Joshua's settlement has fewer points of light than Chief's well lit almost 19-20th century settlement. Or call Bjarki.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 13, 2021