Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yessss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This feels like flipping stations on AM radio

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Probably Magic posted:

If we're banned from D&D, and from what I've seen we effectively are complete with D&D users citing our posts in CSPAM as some evidence against us, I don't see why the worst of D&D get to troll CSPAM with impunity. I don't give a poo poo if mcmagic pops in here, he's already cursed with a Jets fandom, but one of the folks who cheerleads against this forum the most should not have the privilege of then intentionally making GBS threads up the forum. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Agreed.

Wheeee posted:

Bans are a coward's tool, simply let other posters off the leash to savage shitters with impunity
This is a nice ideal, but it doesn't survive contact with someone who enjoys and feeds on the negative attention like HAU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
mods please change their name to ram dass in h*ck

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Gonna repost my RSF suggestion here. Now that we're a top level forum we should have a subforum that does this

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd like to see a subforum where there are no mods, but every thread OP gets full IK powers within that thread (and that thread only). I initially put "mod" but maybe ban power would be a bad idea.

The forum itself could be freeform. About whatever. Each thread OP can decide their own thread's agenda. It'd be like a libertarian seastead, but for threads and posts.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
just caught up on this thread, here are my brief thoughts in no particular order because this is all so tiring.

Flavius Aetass posted:

i have a feeling it might be because they know any attempt to do so would be met with all of their posting pals calling them nazi rape apologist bootlickers
I bet you you're wrong

Flavius Aetass posted:

This isn't intended as a slight against anyone, but we have given IK buttons to at least 2 posters who frequent the succzone and their idea of what posts to use their buttons on unfortunately differs greatly from that of the admins

we have already tried to address your concerns by doing exactly this
then I submit that you (collectively) didn't try hard enough and should have been paying closer attention and maybe been more active in rotating IKs or being clearer about poo poo or using buttons if it was really such a big screaming deal. Instead you went with the laziest option that would create the biggest fallout and make it a big huge deal

Gassing the thread was unnecessary overkill, or would have been if any of you cared enough

and now the emptyquotes:

Some Guy TT posted:

if thats how you feel just probe the people who are talking about d and d

the vast majority of succ zone content wasnt about that and anyone whos telling you thats all we did is a liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it wasn't because it wasn't moderated until the volunteer mods decided they couldn't ignore it anymore

Some Guy TT posted:

really because i was a regular poster in the succ zone and i can barely remember anyone getting probed at all and bear in mind that since im night crew id see probes that were only approved long after the fact

even in the context of moderation discussion we had far longer chats about threadbanning quetzadilla and mcmagic or banning jimmy dore conversations than i can remember anyone ever seriously getting mad about d and d

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

I don't

It'll be like 20 minutes before I'm naked in a dark room, curled up, rocking back and forth, eyes wide open muttering to myself "warmongering austerity rapist warmongering austerity rapist warmongering austerity rapist...."

poo poo that's my bedtime routine

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

ah gently caress, i've been owned

lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Probably Magic posted:

I was thinking of starting a thread a couple days ago bitching about D&D labeled, "This Curse of Strahd Campaign Sucks."

do it, a tabletop thread could be fun

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Probably Magic posted:

Lawful Good: docbeard, majorian
Chaotic Good: Yinlock, Son of Thunderbeast, Homeless Friend
True Neutral: Squizzle
Lawful Evil: McMagic
Chaotic Evil: Arfjason, Quetzadilla
Neutral Good: Brutalist McDonalds
Neutral Evil: Flavius Aetass

This might just be an OP, gonna think over a bit more and see what I can do with this.

I like that you left CN blank because we all know there's only one true answer

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh Snapple! posted:

anyway just gonna say my small piece because may as well. it's awkward for me because i've increasingly felt that succ zone actually probably should have been closed, just for a whole bunch of toxicity reasons separate from the D&D stuff.

Unsurprisingly I feel like Koos is pretty much right here, though to build off it a bit: Yeah, I think cspam should be able to make fun of D&D. No, I do not think that act should be a completely unmoderated affair. Succ Zone very much did need its own IK, and at least regarding the D&D stuff, what always made sense to me (and I know I've voiced this before) was you either make fun of it in succ zone or you post in D&D. You do not get to do both, at the very least not at the same time. It needed a reasonably active IK to:

a. Probe the poo poo out of people who went from succ zone to touch the poo poo, assuming a D&D mod did not get them first
b. Probe the poo poo out of people dragging D&D arguments they were involved in back in here.

How well that actually would have worked given the thread's general decline into constant taintrunner imitation is a big loving question mark, but I do feel it was a better approach to take and to try out than the one used. If it couldn't work out then that would have just been a further sign that the thread had earned a general closure anyway.
Something exactly like this was what I didn't have the time or patience to post, so thank you

:agreed:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Gonna repost my RSF suggestion here. Now that we're a top level forum we should have a subforum that does this:

oh and while this thread has some attention and activity I'd like to bump this

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You were right the first time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Probably Magic posted:

We post pure and trusting from the heart, unlike the cynicism and nihilism of some forums. CSPAM is, ultimately, an idealistic and optimist forum full of joy and faith.

Believe it!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Also a Tara Reade thread in d and d that's going well, the lack of which was another big factor

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's 2021 and miracles can happen

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

Son of Thunderbeast are you aware of the Miracle of Sailor

🙏🙏🙏⛵🙏🙏🙏

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paladinus posted:

What if dissent is the main problem?

congrats to SA's newest mod, Paladinus

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

I appreciate the irony but I've never thought that the hostility we should have for politicians should extend to fellow goons. You may disagree and there are certainly exceptions but I feel pretty strongly about making C-SPAM a welcoming place. Sure, some people need to be told to gently caress off or have their taint ran, but at the end of the day i don't think you should be thinking of anyone here as your real life enemy when it is just posting.

When a thread has been constantly complaining about mods doing absolutely nothing about their complaints of people coming in specifically to troll and start poo poo, don't expect anyone to care what the mods have to say when the criticism finally falls on them :shrug:

Y'all ignored the thread until it was too personally inconvenient for you to ignore, and that's a fact.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Nah. The people over there and anywhere else that said poo poo like 'she was lying about rape for money' are my real life enemies. The reaction to Tara Reade was absolutely disgusting.
Also true

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

samantonio posted:

Is it the forums or this thread that are hosed right now? My shits messed up.

The hamster powering the servers is dead and needs to be replaced

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Jeffreys going to buy two hamster's and 50 kilos of hamster meth

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

yeah, we're more tolerant of shitposting here. :shrug:

i didn't say you had to be nice to them. just like anywhere else the too rude line is v subjective so blast people at your own risk. i don't know what else you want, since i can't think of anywhere where you are allowed to be as mean as you want to anyone

So you still think the right thing to do was ignore the thread getting poo poo up while all the people were yelling for someone to do something about it? That's what this looks like

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

well I'm not sure that I would phrase it that way but as a compromise I am way more aware now that going into the succ zone and making lib posts was deliberate poo poo stirring

Better than nothing i guess

e: The answer still does not fill me with confidence

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 11, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nobody gives a poo poo what you have to say and that's not exclusive to cspam

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

ngl this is the saddest thing i've ever read

That's 100% a gimmick/troll and shame on anyone dumb enough to fall for it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

This is why I'm not filled with confidence in your assessment of what happened.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

didn't lf get trolled to death

Yes, and they're hoping the same happens to cspam

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We need to use more slurs like g*rlboss and d*mocrat

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

apertura posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is a very nice photo of a building, warmly lit. nice

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Goon slander

GOON SLANDER

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

I'm the austerity war rapist?
                                                      \

lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ban him if true, bing bong

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
run that fucker out on his taint

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flunky posted:

posting itt before w/e drama blowup is coming

The admins must have time to ascend mount goon and ring the summoning bell, that mods may don their robes and sackcloth and clasp hands round the howling pits

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

docbeard posted:

...the hell is going on?

Taintrunner is almost definitely another poster who was credibly accused of sexual assault. The mods may or may not act on this (?) because the evidence may involve off-site stuff, unclear. Some fyad posters think this is a huge gotcha on cspam as a whole because they're still extremely Not Mad Just Laughing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean let's be honest it does fall on cspam as a community for propping such a blatantly toxic piece of poo poo up on the basis of "he yell at people"

Only if the community continues to prop him up in light of the allegations. Yelling at people was at worst obnoxious and sometimes good, depending what he was yelling about. Granted yeah, making it his entire gimmick was a bad sign and shouldn't have been encouraged.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

He would come into totally unrelated threads and completely fly off the handle at random posters and accuse them of a laundry list of offenses, knocking the conversation completely off the rails for half a dozen pages if not more. He was the worst poster in CSPAM by a country mile. How could you possibly think that in any way was good posting? Just because he was ostensibly on "your side"? Even though he was actively alienating people instead of growing the movement? He was too loving cowardly to even go after the actual liberals he supposedly hated so much and would just pick fights in here.

And then you add in him being allegedly a rapist on top of that? Shut the hell up and reconsider your personal standards.

I didn't pay much attention to taintrunner and figured he was just having fun. It's something awful, people posting super aggro as their thing has always been around here

lmao at "growing the movement" on something awful. I guess if you consider posting to be doing politics i could see how that'd be a concern.

And i think i made it pretty clear that I'm okay with banning him and running him out in light of the allegations so i don't know who you think you're yelling at/about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wheeee posted:

just ban him for that horrendous medium article on top of lifetime posting achievement

Yeah this, if it's proving to be too hard to meet the Something Awful Moderation Team's exacting legal standards