Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Ghost Dog posted:

kawa is sad that boldin traded a hof career to win a ring with the greatest franchise of all time, the baltimore ravens. but i am not I'm glad he did it

I still think he had enough of a career but the Ravens years aside from the 2012 postseason make it harder to tell. His low pro bowls and all-pros you have to closer examine and see that he did produce at those levels in a lot of years he didn't make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

instead of saying that stuff, say this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfGVL3f1VM

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I also think Ngata was HoF talent. But the way he played it's hard to get in you need to be all pro like every year and get DPOY to get in as what he did. Cause there's not the same stats to compile.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ngata was a hofer yeah, he probably will not make it but vince wilfork is basically flashier ngata so they will share the jacket

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'm still curious though--if someone had to make a case for John Lynch getting in, how would you do it? Just his pro bowls/all pros? Is there anything else besides that? It seems like he got more of those than he should have even. And even the number he had doesn't really do it on its own. Did he do something really well at his position that I don't understand?

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
He created Drew Brees

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kawalimus posted:

I'm still curious though--if someone had to make a case for John Lynch getting in, how would you do it? Just his pro bowls/all pros? Is there anything else besides that? It seems like he got more of those than he should have even. And even the number he had doesn't really do it on its own. Did he do something really well at his position that I don't understand?

A combination of things.

For starters, 9 Pro Bowls purely at safety is rare, and it ties him with guys like Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins, whose careers partially overlapped with Lynch. The only guys with more at safety is Ken Houston who played for Houston and Washington in the 70's who got 11, and Mel Renfro who was with Landry's Cowboys from the mid-60's to late 70's with 10. The only other DB's who got more than that also spent a lot of time at corner (All of Champ Bailey's 12, 4 of Ronnie Lott's 10, 6 of Rod Woodson's 10). As much as some people like to dismiss Pro Bowl selections since fan voting is a factor in it, that's still a lot and shows how good he was for such a long time.

He was regarded as an extremely good tackler. I remember running backs like Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders both saying he was probably the hardest hitting defensive back they ever faced, and once of the surest tacklers against them. That kind of reputation helps. The Bucs in those eras described him as one of the major leaders on those infamous defenses of the late 90's and early 00's along side guys like Derrick Brooks, which carries some weight as well. He was first-team All-Pro twice, in 1999 and 2000, and also second-team All-Pro in the two years after that as well.

The complaint some people may have is his run as GM of the 49ers has gained him extra attention recently, but he was well regarded broadcaster before that too. There's really not any doubt he should have gotten in the HoF at some point based on the merits of his playing career. He's been eligible for seven or eight years already, and made it as a finalist at least the least year or two, so it was obvious he was coming up at some point in the near future.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That does help and make more sense then. And 7 or 8 ballots is probably how long Boldin will have to wait if he gets in.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm glad Megatron is getting in, I was afraid his "only" playing until he was 30 and not playing on teams that mattered in the playoffs would cause him to get lumped in the general WR backlog.

e: Jesus Christ, the Lions lost a playoff game where Megatron had over 200 yards, 2 touchdowns and motherfucking10 first downs :barf:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sean10mm posted:

I'm glad Megatron is getting in, I was afraid his "only" playing until he was 30 and not playing on teams that mattered in the playoffs would cause him to get lumped in the general WR backlog.

e: Jesus Christ, the Lions lost a playoff game where Megatron had over 200 yards, 2 touchdowns and motherfucking10 first downs :barf:

And they lost 45-28 because the Saints never punted and set an NFL record for yards gained in a playoff game. Oy.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
gently caress the lions and the ford family

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

fartknocker posted:

He was regarded as an extremely good tackler. I remember running backs like Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders both saying he was probably the hardest hitting defensive back they ever faced, and once of the surest tacklers against them.

Yeah, Lynch's big thing that was that he was supposed to be the hardest hitting SOB in the league. I remember Adam Archuleta worshiped Lynch. It didn't help him rise above the level of incompetent as an NFL player, but he (Archuleta) did date a Playboy Playmate who at one point went on Howard Stern and talked about the bruises she occasionally received from his jackhammer roid banging.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
John Lynch made the Pro Bowl every year because people who vote on the Pro Bowl do not care about the safety position and will vote for the only one they've heard of.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

sean10mm posted:

Did anyone ever write about the genesis of that nickname? It's wild that people named him after a robot the size of a building who destroys everything in its path and everyone else was like "Yeah, that fits".

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

tinstaach posted:

Did anyone ever write about the genesis of that nickname? It's wild that people named him after a robot the size of a building who destroys everything in its path and everyone else was like "Yeah, that fits".

Crappy Detroit WR Roy Williams coined it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, before he got traded to dallas Roy Williams gave him the nickname.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Imagine what Boldin's stats might have been if he didn't spend years in Arizona and their complete dumpster fire that was their QBs. Also let's not forget he had it even worse in Baltimore with Flacco.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

syzpid posted:

Imagine what Boldin's stats might have been if he didn't spend years in Arizona and their complete dumpster fire that was their QBs. Also let's not forget he had it even worse in Baltimore with Flacco.

That wasn't Flacco's fault. The problem was Cam Cameron refused to use slot receivers in his offense which is where Boldin was at his best--in fact I think we used slot receivers less than any other team in the league during Cameron's tenure. After Cameron was fired in late 2012 Jim Caldwell took over, and the only difference between Caldwell and Cameron was that Caldwell used the slot receiver plays not just when we were down late or at the end of a half. Suddenly Boldin started producing extremely well like you would have expected him to throughout his time here. Then after the SB we traded him for a 6th round draft pick. This franchise just undervalues the WR position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's spelt Bolden.