Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i cant believe they are letting scrubs like peyton manning on the ballot now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i think it's cool to vote for receivers that spent a good chunk of their career as a WR2

holt iirc pretty quickly surpassed isaac bruce as the WR1 for that team

so reggie wayne would get the WR2 vote

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Put ricky williams in the Hall you cowards

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Prof. Crocodile posted:

The more you think about Megatron, the less likely he seems to go into the HOF. The memory of his highlight reel fades every year, and his numbers really don’t stand out from the other great receivers on the ballot.

megatron's HoF case is entirely contingent on the eye test

if you watched him play much at all you're like "jesus christ this guy is one of the best athletes I've ever seen in professional sports, he's a hall-of-famer for sure", whereas his 'on paper' case is not as strong

I think he was certainly the most ~feared receiver in the league even when he overlapped with guys like jones or fitzgerald having bigger years.

I think torry holt suffers from a lack of explosive highlight-real factor, kind of the inverse of megatron
plus too many of his good years were in the bulger era

probably his historical significance (WR1 on one of the most influential offenses in league history, crowned with a super bowl win) is sufficient to get in eventually

but like...i watched him put up big numbers in a number of big games but only really remember a handful of plays he made
the HoF is ultimately a promotional organ, it rewards flash

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 20, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wyoak posted:

Bruce was WR1 for the really good Rams teams wasn’t he?

Although it was like 1a 1b on those teams

holt overtook him pretty quick

by the time of their super bowl holt was getting more targets, certainly

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wait I had the Rams' super bowl year mixed up with the Ravens super bowl year

thought the rams took it in '00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

surely a stats nerd somewhere has taken the time to estimate the number of proxy yards Hester gained for the bears by crippling the enemy kicking game

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 7, 2021