Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the psp owns and its becoming so forgotten that my MacBook auto corrects psp to pop. Lets post to remember Sonys great system and talk about such great 5* translations like the recently released yakuza translation

also emulation still owns on it especially PS1 games. playing front mission 3 is great

Here's some good info

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Here's some random PSP purchasing thoughts related to this:

If you're looking to collect physical PSP games you want to make sure to get a model with the UMD drive--the PSP-100x, -200x, -300x, but not the Go or a Vita. There's also the rare Street (-E100x) model that you probably won't come across but should avoid anyways.

Why collect physical games? A good number of early PSP titles were only released on UMD as licensing issues prevented their digital distribution. Crisis Core is probably the best known of those. Beyond that, PSP games have historically been fairly cheap so it's an easier system to collect for if you're into that. Now, if you are going to collect physical games please don't actually run them from UMDs--install CFW and dump the UMD to your PC and copy the .iso to a SD card and run it from that. That will have faster load times, better battery life, and preserve your UMD drive to dump other titles.

If you don't care about physical games, most PSP titles are available from the PlayStation Store on all models including Vitas. However, PSPs aren't compatible with modern WiFi security so actually getting them on the Internet is challenging. Sony has also been shutting down various methods of actually purchasing titles too. If you have a PS3, I think you can still purchase PSP titles on it and download them to your PSP that way, but if not, YMMV. Of course, .iso dumps of games are readily available in the usual places. Also, if you have purchased store titles and own more than one PSP, take a look at npdrm_free which is a CFW plugin that bypasses the DRM on store titles so you take/copy the SD card from one unit to another.

Regarding the models, the -100x does only have 32 MB of RAM while the -200x and -300x have 64 MB RAM. However, as far as I know that has absolutely no bearing on compatibility/performance of licensed titles. I'm not actually sure what the extra RAM is even used for--maybe to cache UMD loads which is irrelevant if you're using a SD card anyways.

The screen on PSPs are quite good compared to their contemporaries (DS, GBA even) but they're definitely mid 00s technology and look dated now. The -100x and -200x screens have ghosting, while the -300x screen trades the ghosting for a wider color gamut but has interlacing artifacts. Personally I prefer the -300x screen, however of the four used PSP-3000s I bought in 2019 two of them came with screens that had significantly yellowed displays. I think there was an issue with the glue/binder on them--possibly limited to early Japanese models--both of mine were silver. I don't know how extensive this problem is. In the end I replaced those two screens and the other two PSP-3000s I intentionally bought with damaged screens and replaced those too since it made them overall cheaper to purchase. I'm pretty sure the replacement screens are new-old-stock and so far they haven't yellowed.

If you don't want to futz with screen issues I'd get a PSP-100x or -200x.

Games are region free. The main difference between PSP regional models is the default language for the UI and I think the default timezone, both of which can be changed during initial setup. The -x000 models (Japanese) also use O for accept and X for cancel in the UI, which is the opposite of international models, but there's a CFW option to switch that around to your preference.

FWIW, I bought four PSP-3000s off eBay from Japanese sellers in 2019 for $20-40 depending on condition and color and aside from the aforementioned screen issues have had no other problems with them.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Skip the battery and charger. OEM batteries have near-universally gone puffy by now which makes them a safety hazard and basically don't work. As for the charger the PSP takes 5V @ 1A as I recall, which practically any USB charger does these days, so you can just get a USB-A to barrel connector cable. That means you just need to find a PSP-200x.

When I bought a pile of PSP-3000s a couple of years ago these were the accessories I got for them:

Battery: It's OK for third-party. Doesn't have the longest charge, but it's not puffy.
USB to barrel adapters.
USB Mini-B cable: Needed to dump UMDs and to use the memory stick/microSD card without having to remove it.
MicroSD to Memoy Stick adapter.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet2
Jan 7, 2021
I haven't had one for years. But it was a beautiful and powerful device the world wasn't ready for. I could never get over even just how clean the home screen looked. I can't imagine I would have had a very good experience with it if I hadn't been able to do a firmware downgrade and get all the homebrew stuff going. I only ever ended up buying like three games and one movie. The homebrew community proved how under utilized the technology was. The NES and SNES emulation on it was already pro, then the official PS1 emulation was introduced and really blew me away how smooth all of the games played. (I don't even know how the official PS1 releases worked, I imagine they didn't officially release very many). Back in the day I had one of the homebrew apps on there that used the IR port to turn the system into a universal remote, and on vacation I used to turn off televisions in restaurants. I probably played super mario bros 3 on it more than anything else. I want another one!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had no idea the ir blaster could do it that rocks

I remember watching UMDs and buying a couple like terminator 2 drat the psp owns

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My battery exploded. Great little library and great stuff that was never made digital for vita either.

Always kind of wanted to get a new one since the god of war one I have is a little embarrassing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just posting to tell people to get the Densha de Go! PSP games; they're just lines from DdG Final but they're portable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My PSP existed solely to play Metal Gear Solid Ac!d 1 and 2. Like sure, I played a bunch of other titles like the sadly way overlooked Crush and eventually installed homebrew but my god in heaven, Ac!d games had me completely hooked.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random Stranger posted:

Just posting to tell people to get the Densha de Go! PSP games; they're just lines from DdG Final but they're portable.

Wait that exists?!??

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Back when I had regular long distance train rides I got one specifically to do all the homebrew stuff and it furnished me with entertainment quite literally far beyond what I imagined. A great machine.

I still have it but something's wrong with the power connection and I don't know enough to fix it or where I could get it fixed. Battery's probably stone dead anyway (which may also just be the issue in the first place).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I still have a PSP Go hooked up as a dedicated PS1 machine and its wonderful. The Go was such a weird experiment that Sony learned a lot from but drat if it wasn’t a beautiful thing way ahead of its time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a psp go a few months ago from a good. The controls kind of suck but otherwise it's quite the amazing machine.

Also I want to say some of the best psp games:

Lumines
Lumines 2
That weird golf game with anime
Dj max

Also yakuza just got translated to English like yesterday.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I got back into the psp recently after combining two broken systems into one and was compelled to get a new radiant red system to try and get my gf to play coop stuff with me.

PSP has to be in the top 5, or even top 3 of best handhelds ever made. The vita is cool but Sony barely supported it in the way they did the PSP. I could rattle off a list of incredible games but you could spend your entire life playing Peacewalker, Phantasy Star Portable 2, and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Mainly been using them to play ps1 rpgs, lol. Something about rpgs on a handheld is the only way I will actually complete them.

I still really want a Go and the dock, but I am NOT paying 400+ for that privilege. I think overall the 3000 is the best model.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is phantasy star portable 1 any good

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah but 2 has coop ad hoc and is arguably better.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you still have an OEM battery and haven't touched it in years, :siren:remove your battery before it explodes:siren:, or at least goes puffy.

If your PSP-3000 screen has yellowed I'm sorry for your loss. Actually the screen isn't hard to replace, but I'm not convinced the replacements won't eventually yellow too.

I bought a black PSP-1001 when the Dracula X Chronicles was announced and the system was probably worth it for that alone, but made so much better by custom firmware. Two years ago I decided to get back into the PSP and picked up a handful of Japanese PSP-3000s on eBay in varying colors (and condition) and restored them, mostly by replacing yellowed/dead screens. Although I also have a Vita, the PSP is my preferred way to play PSP and PSX games. The fact you can load up a massive microSD card using cheap adapters is just perfect.

Internet2 posted:

I don't even know how the official PS1 releases worked, I imagine they didn't officially release very many.
They were released as downloadable PSOne Classics on the PlayStation Store. They actually did release quite a few titles, although there's some notable omissions due to licensing reasons.

Actually that was one of the issues as Sony wasn't able to license digital rights for all their physical releases including Metal Gear Acid and Crisis Core. There's also weird stuff like Final Fantasy I/II being available digitally in Europe but not North America, which I can only imagine is the result of Square sitting on a pile of unsold physical copies. Custom firmware makes that largely a moot point as you can dump your own UMDs. Sony was really ahead of the times with digital downloads, honestly to the point where they didn't quite get it right.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I have 2 PSPs Go. Also the original model. I have been collecting physical games for it for a few years now. I finally beat Mega Man Powered Up recently after starting it like 14 years ago.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I loved my PSP and I was absolutely obsessed with the homebrew side of things. Like, habitually checking qj.net every day for quite a few years. The day the 2.0 to 1.50 downgrade finally hit is still probably the most excited I've ever been about anything video game related; I was going through a phase of devouring every SNES RPG I could get my hands on at the time, and it was mindblowing to be suddenly able to shift over to playing them anywhere instead of hiding in the school library hoping I didn't get caught playing games and kicked out.

(You could technically still run homebrew on 2.0 at that point, but a) you had to launch it through GTA Liberty City Stories and b) that exploit had no kernel access so performance was degraded and you couldn't go into standby or switch to a different emulator without rebooting the system and sitting through the loooong GTA load time again)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also one thing I hadn't thought about in years was how every single PSP-1000 seemed to have at least two or three dead/stuck pixels straight out of the box and Sony's official line was "lol yeah that'll happen, it's fine, deal with it" and goddamn how was that ever acceptable on a device where the massive industry-beating display was one of the key selling points? Were manufacturing yields on those LCDs really that low?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Also one thing I hadn't thought about in years was how every single PSP-1000 seemed to have at least two or three dead/stuck pixels straight out of the box and Sony's official line was "lol yeah that'll happen, it's fine, deal with it" and goddamn how was that ever acceptable on a device where the massive industry-beating display was one of the key selling points? Were manufacturing yields on those LCDs really that low?

It was baffling but I lived with it so joke was on me

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pretty good posted:

I think mine has one, but honestly yes for years when you bought a laptop or monitor you had to have a minimum number of stuck pixels to get an RMA. The PSP was probably just high resolution enough that the probability of at least one bad pixel in a display was pretty high.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember having to do the memory card swap on the bootscreen when the psp was first hacked until they discovered the way to hack the psp was to make a folder on the memcard called like PSP iirc lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm building a reasonable PSP collection at the moment as no one seems to be interested in it compared to Nintendo's portables and the games are pretty cheap for it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My recent favorite is Disgea: Afternoon of Darkness which was a whopping $10. Any recommendations?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Domus posted:

My recent favorite is Disgea: Afternoon of Darkness which was a whopping $10. Any recommendations?

Oh man that version of Disgaea had the best bugs.

About the only other real game I regularly played was the FFT port, despite the atrocious animation lag.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty good posted:

I exchanged seven PSPs at Costco before getting one without dead pixels. SEVEN.

Also didn't the PSP get hacked wide open because Sony accidentally mailed someone the pandora battery?

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I bought 2 PSPs to replace my other PSP that had a dead pixel. Anyways, I love the PSPs and have played the ever living crap outta it.

I am currently playing tactics Ogre after beating GtA Chinatown wars.

CW was super underrated and I love it to bits. Great throw back to the birds eye view GTA.

Also Lumines is 1 million times better than Tetris. Wish I had a way of playing with people.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
SOCOM is insanely good on the PSP. Probably the best shooter on the whole system if I'm honest. Wish I could still play it online but SVDL only supports the PS2 SOCOMs and not the PSP ones right now

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My battery got swole so I had to toss it, now I can’t play my psp. I wasn’t playing it before, but now I can’t.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just checked my battery and thought it was puffy at first but then i realized they designed the psp battery to have a weird rear end angled bit to it. battery not puffy.

the best was when I opened up the back panel on my 3DS XL a couple years ago and as soon as I got the last screw out, the thing flew off to reveal a party pinata of a rechargeable battery. that was a fun time

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Puffy batteries are puffy on both sides.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

barnold posted:

SOCOM is insanely good on the PSP. Probably the best shooter on the whole system if I'm honest. Wish I could still play it online but SVDL only supports the PS2 SOCOMs and not the PSP ones right now

Got the "big box" SOCOM 2 last weekend and still had the headphones with it, and seemed to be unused

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

barnold posted:

I totally agree with this. Wish we could still play online :(

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

You Am I posted:

Got the "big box" SOCOM 2 last weekend and still had the headphones with it, and seemed to be unused

You can find a couple full S2 lobbies most nights of the week on SVDL if you feel bold enough to set up your system for LAN tunneling, it's a blast. You can also just download a pre-made PS2 emulator all ready to go minus the BIOS and game iso from the SVDL page too but that poo poo's lame imo, real hardware or bust for me. I will never forgive Zipper for turning Abandoned into a night-vision map though, the original was so much better :colbert:

Been playing Midnight Club LA Remix again lately, in between bursts of endurance racing in Gran Turismo 2 (I'm so close to winning gold on every event in Simulation Mode :toot:)

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 13, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The original Midnight Club LA is one of my favorite games ever; never played the PSP one. I presume its fun?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

It's incredibly fun, as long as you know going into it that like pretty much every PSP port, it's extremely pared down and limited in various ways. The career mode is split into two different campaigns, the LA Career (which uses a modified version of the map from Midnight Club II actually) and the Tokyo Career. Half the cars in the game are ONLY available in LA and vice versa for Tokyo. There are no police chases while free roaming and what few police chases you do get into are incredibly linear and end pretty fast. The game also is about half as difficult as the console version, even on the "red" hard races, mostly the biggest challenge is avoiding oncoming traffic that pops into view 0.01 seconds before you hit it thanks to the PSP's resolution.

It's significantly better than NFS Underground or Most Wanted 510 though imo

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds fun Ill try it out

I never understood the poo poo the psp and vita got for ports yet suddenly all anyone wants on switch are ports

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

it's probably that the switch's hardware can actually handle running a fully-fledged port rather than lopping the game world in half, cutting the more ambitious game modes and reducing the available in-game content. in an era where people were really excited about complex open world games with lots of exploration on proper consoles, no one really wanted to go back to that PS1-style linearity. though of course some really impressive and great games came out on the system like Vice City Stories of God of War with those elements

as for the PS Vita, well, the problem with those ports is that they were released on the PS Vita. I will never forgive Sony for what they did to the Vita

Empress Brosephine posted:

That weird golf game with anime

that's Pangya and it's incredibly good. I prefer it to hot shots golf and I'm not even a weeb tbh the game is just so good

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 13, 2021

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I got a used psp from an online friend and now I'm playing Liberty City Stories. This analog nub kinda sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

I got a used psp from an online friend and now I'm playing Liberty City Stories. This analog nub kinda sucks.

I was so blown away by that game, I went from having a GBA with GTA Advance to that in the same year. It get's pretty drat hard at the end, but it's fun as all hell throughout. Make sure you pick up Vice city stories. It's probably my first or second favorite of the 3d trilogy. Dozens of business's to take over and upgrade over both islands, a decent story, and tons of cool poo poo like gangwars and business missions. It's also got a ton of weird systems that the other games don't have like an actual stealth and melee system that let's you snap peoples necks.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Being able to swim in vice city was dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
VCS owns.

I decided to try out metal gear acid again and I don't think I like it still lol

Any of you play the yakuza translation yet