Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Yeah I thought I had it set it yesterday so that it was in place for today (knowing I was going to be busy today and most likely wouldn't have time to check stuff until late). Not sure what happened, just gonna assume I messed something up.
I'll go ahead and defer to EricCartman2000atYahoo on whether he wants to allow something retroactively, no biggie either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It's all good with me

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thank you for looking out Kalen.

That has been very disappointing this year how many lineups have been lost. It seems to lose lineups less from the app? I definitely hit max frustration with it a couple weeks ago.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I know that when I move players to/from IR or Taxi, or successfully pick up a player via waiver claim, it can prompt a domino effect on future line-ups.

I encounter the same issue with Yahoo for NHL so I've just made it a habit to double-check rosters each morning over breakfast.

I do feel like the website is clunky for roster tinkering since you can't do a direct swap between two players & positions, and I wonder if the extra adjustments result in a higher rate of weird hiccups.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

FYI for the draft order, we'll be doing some lotteries where success in these final few weeks will bump your odds up (i.e. couple of extra ping-pong balls). So there's some incentive for everyone to play their full complement of starters for the final few weeks.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

kalensc posted:

FYI for the draft order, we'll be doing some lotteries where success in these final few weeks will bump your odds up (i.e. couple of extra ping-pong balls). So there's some incentive for everyone to play their full complement of starters for the final few weeks.
I was just letting it ride under the assumption that draft order would be random but it's On now lol

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Oh great Curry is done until the playoffs and Fox was lighting it up but he’ll be shut down for the season. THJ and Hayward have been out for who knows how long and Middleton is probably going to take his time coming back. I should have dropped Hayward and THJ long ago but it’s not like there were much better options.

Did you mean that winning these consolation matchups will give you better odds at a better draft pick? I know the other way around would not work at all, but I can’t say I agree that beating a team worse off than you means you’ll get a better pick than that team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
We haven't designed it but I definitely want to favor the teams who had the lowest record via the odds. Maybe just improving the chance for someone to jump up for winning but less chance or no chance of moving up without the wins.

The way I see it is

Bottom 4 teams --> in a lottery for each spot --> new teams (if any) no move up chance to first 4, lottery for their spots --> in order, no move up chance --->

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 25, 2022

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Final week of the playoffs is set.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
GG Cart

Next year I'm gonna try and use my first pick on someone who plays. Rookie mistake tbh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dutchy posted:

GG Cart

Next year I'm gonna try and use my first pick on someone who plays. Rookie mistake tbh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I certainly didn't go into the season with the intent to see how a team with mostly just league average players would fare but I think the lesson is "good but not good enough"

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

My all waivers team was interesting but ultimately incapable of going the distance

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Chronicles posted:

My all waivers team was interesting but ultimately incapable of going the distance

Losing Ja after the previous injuries to P.George etc was a cruel twist of fate, sorry mate.

Good luck this week CartMountain, your roster is on a tear and it's a coinflip imo. Trae, Siakam, & Poole are drat near unstoppable lately.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
So weird, when I added Montrezl the button said 'Claim Monday' instead of just 'Add'. I thought that would mean he would be added at the end of today, but instead it seems to have added him already? It was already a bit confusing with my time difference but now I have no idea.

edit: continues my run of ~90% coaching haha

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 29, 2022

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Waivers are processed at 12h10~ and 20h10~ Eastern afaict. It's a weird quirk that causes some players to be unavailable by mere minutes.

Unrelated, the injury god has found my roster and is wreaking havoc. :smith:

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure this has already been covered, but for the record are the timezone limits dictated by the site or is there admin discretion? Frustrating that you can't move any active players until 2 AM Pacific, and then all the halfway-credible FA plays get scooped up at 5 AM Pacific.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

Pretty sure this has already been covered, but for the record are the timezone limits dictated by the site or is there admin discretion? Frustrating that you can't move any active players until 2 AM Pacific, and then all the halfway-credible FA plays get scooped up at 5 AM Pacific.

Definitely not admin, I hate it.

Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze anymore with Fleaflicker but I do enjoy all the custom league stuff and email draft is really good so I dunno, I guess we could do that by hand but that would start to suck pretty fast.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
For baseball my friends and I are trying Fantrax this year, it appears to have a poo poo ton of customization options and an email draft option, I assume that would be true of basketball as well. I think it even has some options for daily free agency stuff. I can't actually vouch for it yet but if we're all getting annoyed by Fleaflicker forgetting our lineups it might be worth exploring

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Back in the day I ran multiple hockey drafts IRL and then uploaded to a site that allowed custom settings. If we find one that lets us setup divisions, schedules, etc as we prefer then I'd be happy to handle the setup for an in-thread draft and the importing into the site.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

Definitely not admin, I hate it.

Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze anymore with Fleaflicker but I do enjoy all the custom league stuff and email draft is really good so I dunno, I guess we could do that by hand but that would start to suck pretty fast.
Totally get it and I'm not advocating for a switch to manual. I'd be down w looking at a migration though - eight free agent signings before 6 am this morning in a pool this shallow really tilts the playing field

also goddamnit I got so sick of fishing around for guys to plug in that I closed er up, forgot to come back and left the points I'd need to stay close are sitting on my bench :argh:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

rivetz posted:

Totally get it and I'm not advocating for a switch to manual. I'd be down w looking at a migration though - eight free agent signings before 6 am this morning in a pool this shallow really tilts the playing field

also goddamnit I got so sick of fishing around for guys to plug in that I closed er up, forgot to come back and left the points I'd need to stay close are sitting on my bench :argh:

Yeah sorry about that, I'm flailing about trying to secure decent replacements for the half of my team that went onto IR, and it's an arms race vs Boromir.

TIL that if you click Add and are choosing who to drop, someone else can still take them off the board. Stirring my coffee cost me Amir Coffey! :v:

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

kalensc posted:

Yeah sorry about that, I'm flailing about trying to secure decent replacements for the half of my team that went onto IR, and it's an arms race vs Boromir.

TIL that if you click Add and are choosing who to drop, someone else can still take them off the board. Stirring my coffee cost me Amir Coffey! :v:
Yeah don't get me wrong it's cool :)

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

rivetz posted:

100% coaches are dorks anyway

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

lol at the players I've lost to injury these final two weeks, what a bummer way to end the season

Congrats on the championship CartMountain!

Edit:

just wanted to say that while I'm obv disappointed to see my first legit shot at winning a fantasy league fall apart in almost comical fashion, CartMountain crushed it in the back half of the season with the waiver pickups and kept setting strong rosters despite all of their players' injuries

Anyways I'm frustrated at the outcome and venting like a sap haha, but I wanted to properly acknowledge CM assembling a superb lineup

kalensc fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 1, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Impressive!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I'm stunned that Giannis, Bane, Hart, Wood, Gallinari, Lopez, etc getting officially ruled out yesterday afternoon didn't immediately torpedo my chances. Unfortunately, I'm out of waiver claims from the earlier injury replacements. :smith:

Boromir has multiple players on the bench who are currently active and playing. I guess they weren't aware of start times, or the system did something weird again. Regardless, I'll edit Harris, Love, Poole, and Capela into the starting line-up on their behalf.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Crazy finals

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

kalensc posted:

I'm stunned that Giannis, Bane, Hart, Wood, Gallinari, Lopez, etc getting officially ruled out yesterday afternoon didn't immediately torpedo my chances. Unfortunately, I'm out of waiver claims from the earlier injury replacements. :smith:

Boromir has multiple players on the bench who are currently active and playing. I guess they weren't aware of start times, or the system did something weird again. Regardless, I'll edit Harris, Love, Poole, and Capela into the starting line-up on their behalf.

Ha I was so confused - I read your previous message and then check the scores and you were ahead? And we still have a couple days of games left?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Red Rox posted:

Ha I was so confused - I read your previous message and then check the scores and you were ahead? And we still have a couple days of games left?

Part of it was I threw my back out mid-week and have had a lovely last couple of days. When I finished stretching/yoga on Friday afternoon the first thing I saw was "Giannis OUT" among others, so I vented a bit.

Anyways I knew mid-week that my only hope was the remaining players scoring at 125% their average rate, and the Friday injuries were the decisive blow.

Eyeballing it, 1k+ of fantasy points were lost this week to IR, all from players who were healthy 10~ days ago. Streaming can only do so much (and a few of those pickups got injured to boot haha).

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i've been playing fantasy sports for like 20+ years and i can honestly say i've never had so many lucky bounces and things break my way in a season before. i , too, think its bs that i somehow won. fitting that it'd happen to be in a league where absolutely nothing is at stake (except for the Respect and Adulation of my Fellow Posters of course).

i'm an Old Curmudgeon when it comes to using my phone for stuff, so everytime i had to make moves and set lineups and poo poo, i had to be at my PC. couple that with the fact that i'm a relatively new father who doesn't get to see their son a ton monday through friday as he's primarily only awake during my working hours, it lead to me constantly missing/loving up my weekend lineups as I pretty much spend every waking hour I can with him on the weekends (1:00 pm saturday games are dumb as hell IMO). so thank you all for bearing with me through it and i promise i'll learn how to do this poo poo on my phone for next season lol.

i live in Pittsburgh where absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about professional basketball , so it was especially nice to be able to find a basketball league where half of the league doesn't lose interest playing by the end of December. this is definitely one of the most fun and competitive leagues i've ever played in and it's nice to be able to partake with other dudes as passionate. i remember realizing immediately out of the gate during the draft what i was getting into as players i feel like i could typically wait on/for in other more casual leagues were snatched up left and right way earlier than i expected.

i also want to take a moment to especially thank kalensc and Rick for all of the effort and work they put into the league. you guys are a great driving force to keep things mixed up and interesting which goes a long way to keeping people engaged IMO.

thanks for a fun as hell season ya'll

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cart Mountain posted:

i live in Pittsburgh where absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about professional basketball

there are dozens of us!

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I hardly use the phone app either. 1st place and 3rd place, desktop PC is the fantasy basketball meta

Congrats our our champion, and thanks to all for a fun season even when the season was doing everything it could to be un-fun

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Congrats CartMountain!
Echoing the Thanks to Rick and Kalen for the hard work and also to anybody else who helped. Fun season let’s do it again next year

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Cart Mountain posted:

i've been playing fantasy sports for like 20+ years and i can honestly say i've never had so many lucky bounces and things break my way in a season before. i , too, think its bs that i somehow won.

Nah man you deserved the win - you drafted a solid squad! Congrats champ!

Even in the real NBA you need a bit of luck to win it all.

Thanks everyone for a crazy season. Next year Luka will totally be MVP, for real this time.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Echoing the thanks to Rick and Kalensc as well as the congratulations to CartMountain! I've never played fantasy basketball before but had a good time.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

grats cart mountain

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Cart Mountain posted:

i've been playing fantasy sports for like 20+ years and i can honestly say i've never had so many lucky bounces and things break my way in a season before. i , too, think its bs that i somehow won. fitting that it'd happen to be in a league where absolutely nothing is at stake (except for the Respect and Adulation of my Fellow Posters of course).

i'm an Old Curmudgeon when it comes to using my phone for stuff, so everytime i had to make moves and set lineups and poo poo, i had to be at my PC. couple that with the fact that i'm a relatively new father who doesn't get to see their son a ton monday through friday as he's primarily only awake during my working hours, it lead to me constantly missing/loving up my weekend lineups as I pretty much spend every waking hour I can with him on the weekends (1:00 pm saturday games are dumb as hell IMO). so thank you all for bearing with me through it and i promise i'll learn how to do this poo poo on my phone for next season lol.

i live in Pittsburgh where absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about professional basketball , so it was especially nice to be able to find a basketball league where half of the league doesn't lose interest playing by the end of December. this is definitely one of the most fun and competitive leagues i've ever played in and it's nice to be able to partake with other dudes as passionate. i remember realizing immediately out of the gate during the draft what i was getting into as players i feel like i could typically wait on/for in other more casual leagues were snatched up left and right way earlier than i expected.

i also want to take a moment to especially thank kalensc and Rick for all of the effort and work they put into the league. you guys are a great driving force to keep things mixed up and interesting which goes a long way to keeping people engaged IMO.

thanks for a fun as hell season ya'll

That's awesome stuff man, and you def deserve the championship, no asterisk needed for running hot etc :unsmith:

I know that a lot of my team's success this year was due to (1) east coast bias re: waivers & my early-ish alarm, and (2) lack of other commitments enabling me to IR/replace players that were designated as DTD or DNP-Rest an hour before tip-off. I need to dig into the data eventually, but looking at the AvgPt per Position, I think a majority of my win margins came from quantity of games played rather than their quality.

So you juggling your workday and your newborn (congratulations btw! I can't fathom the energy and resilience it must take to care for an infant in these times while still carving out a bit of time and space for innocent fun) and having far less free time to tinker via the site or app imo makes the final outcome feel 100% right & good :yayclod:

And I really appreciate the thanks you and Chron and Emot and Deimos and Dutchy and RedRox and Maestro and (awful app postin, will need to edit in more usernames here) posted, those lil' bits of kindness are invaluable these days hah.

Excited for next year's league to start, and I'll chat with Rick soon about the final weightings for the draft lottery, then share that outcome & the final spreadsheet.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 5, 2022

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Is there any interest amongst the Lothlorien crew in a zero-prep zero-experience-needed MLB fantasy thing? Something very low-maintenance, so you could set your lineups once per week and glance at the waivers every now and then and still be competitive thru the NBA pre-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I haven't played fantasy baseball in a few years and was looking to dip back in so I'd be down