Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Chronicles posted:

Hmm. I may have overbid on Reed Dinwiddie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Quick reminder!

Our league will be combining this week and next week as one single match-up.

So don't feel like you must be in the lead come Wed/Thurs this week, since there will be another half-week of games to be played after the ASG.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Did I come close to having a meltdown at the site because I didn't know that all star break was this week and though they just forgot to schedule teams on Friday? yes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Goddamnit when did they announce Kyle kuzma was sitting?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

So just a quick FYI to explain how our two-week match will work within Fleaflicker:

- There's no setting available for the system to automatically combine weeks together, so it's all manual AND it's all after the fact;

- Week 17s scores need to be kept in mind when battling it out this week, since the app will show it as a new match starting at 0-0, which is inaccurate for our purposes;

- Fleaflicker allows for editing of Past Week Scores, not on-going ones, so I can't bring Week 17s numbers into Week 18 until next Monday;

- So, to ensure everyone's on the same page, my next post will state:

• Today's true standings (i.e. thru 16 weeks)
  • The true scores in the current matches (Weeks 17 + 18)
  • What each team is vying for, if anything, during this concluding week of the regular season

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thank you@!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Standings After 16/17 Regular Season Matches
pre:
Team Abbr.  Gen. Mngr.   W-L
----------  ----------  -----
TalesCrypt  Chronicles  25-07
Arm Swap    Rick        25-07
Советские   kalensc     22-10
EricCart2k  Dutchy      20-12
---(^^Direct Playoff Berth^^)---
Ho!Jim Boy  DeimosRise  19-13
Don'tBlame  rivetz      17-15
8pts9sec    ScooterMcT  16-16
ThreeAlpha  erez        14-18
---(^^PlayIn Qual: Win 1/2^^)---
im the guy  Ghost Dog   10-22
Jesus H XO  RedRox      09-23
WetAss Stu  TheMaestro  09-23
Eagle Doom  the9thlayr  06-26
---(^^PlayIn Qual: Win 2/2^^)---

Current Scores & Leads in Match #17
pre:
Team Abbr.  Gen. Mngr.   Scores
----------  ----------  --------
TalesCrypt  Chronicles  1,231.05
Arm Swap    Rick        1,229.73
Leader      Chronicles      1.32

Советские   kalensc     1,239.35
EricCart2k  Dutchy      1,115.25
Leader      kalensc       124.10

Ho!Jim Boy  DeimosRise  1,176.34
Don'tBlame  rivetz        956.43
Leader      DeimosRise    219.91

8pts9sec    ScooterMcT  1,153.39
ThreeAlpha  erez        1,316.46
Leader      erez          163.07

im the guy  Ghost Dog     943.03
Jesus H XO  RedRox        854.23
Leader      Ghost Dog      88.80

WetAss Stu  TheMaestro  1,320.21
Eagle Doom  the9thlayr    839.06
Leader      TheMaestro    481.15

Current Rank for Median in Match #17
pre:
Team Abbr.  Gen. Mngr.   Scores
----------  ----------  --------
WetAss Stu  TheMaestro  1,320.21
ThreeAlpha  erez        1,316.46
Советские   kalensc     1,239.35
TalesCrypt  Chronicles  1,231.05
Arm Swap    Rick        1,229.73
Ho!Jim Boy  DeimosRise  1,176.34
------(Top 6 earn Median Win)------
8pts9sec    ScooterMcT  1,153.39
EricCart2k  Dutchy      1,115.25
Don'tBlame  rivetz        956.43
im the guy  Ghost Dog     943.03
Jesus H XO  RedRox        854.23
Eagle Doom  the9thlayr    839.06

Highest/Lowest Seed Achievable For Qualifiers
pre:
Team Abbr.  Gen. Mngr.  High  Low.  Notes
----------  ----------  ----  ----  ---------------------
TalesCrypt  Chronicles   1st   2nd  Clinched QF Berth
Arm Swap    Rick         1st   2nd  Clinched QF Berth
Советские   kalensc      3rd   3rd  Clinched QF Berth
EricCart2k  Dutchy       4th   5th  Clinch QF Berth if Win 1+ or Deimos Lose 1+ in M#17
----------(^^Direct Playoff Berth^^)----------
Ho!Jim Boy  DeimosRise   4th   6th  Clinch QF if 2-0 in M#17 & Dutchy 0-2
Don'tBlame  rivetz       5th   7th  Must win M#18 OR M#19 to make QF
8pts9sec    ScooterMcT   6th   8th  Must win M#18 OR M#19 to make QF
ThreeAlpha  erez         7th   8th  Must win M#18 OR M#19 to make QF
----------(^^PlayIn Qual: Win 1/2^^)----------
im the guy  Ghost Dog    9th  11th  Must win M#18 AND M#19 to make QF
Jesus H XO  RedRox       9th  11th  Must win M#18 AND M#19 to make QF
WetAss Stu  TheMaestro   9th  11th  Must win M#18 AND M#19 to make QF
Eagle Doom  the9thlayr  12th  12th  Must win M#18 AND M#19 to make QF
----------(^^PlayIn Qual: Win 2/2^^)----------

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Opponents Next Week for Playoff Qualifiers 1 of 2

Seeds 1 through 4 will be paired off in an arrangement that prioritizes fresh matches (i.e. Chronicles and Rick won't meet during these Qualifiers, since they played in M#17).

Results during Qualifiers may affect the Seeding of the Top 4 heading into the Quarter-Finals.

Direct Qualifiers (2)

Winners of these matches clinch a Quarter-Final berth. Losers get one final opportunity the following week.

QM1: Seed #5 vs Seed #8
QM2: Seed #6 vs Seed #7

Survival Qualifiers (2)

Winners of these matches remain alive for a Quarter-Final berth. Losers begin their Consolation Tournament the following week.

QM3: Seed #9 vs Seed #12
QM4: Seed #10 vs Seed #11

Opponents in Two Weeks for Playoff Qualifiers 2 of 2

Seeds 1 through 4 will be paired off in an arrangement that prioritizes fresh matches (i.e. Chronicles and Rick won't meet during these Qualifiers, since they played in M#17).

Results during Qualifiers may affect the Seeding of the Top 4 heading into the Quarter-Finals.

The Winners from QM1 and QM2 will meet to determine the 5th and 6th Seeds for the Quarter-Finals.

Direct Qualifiers (2)

Winners of these matches clinch a Quarter-Final berth. Losers join the Consolation Tournament the following week. The exact pairings will be determined by regular season Seeds.

QM5: QM1 or QM2 Loser vs QM3 or QM4 Winner
QM6: QM1 or QM2 Loser vs QM3 or QM4 Winner

Consolation Tournament

The losing teams from QM3 and QM4 will face off. They will be joined by 2 more teams the following week, and 4 other teams the week after that, and participate in an 8-team bracket to determine the final placement from 5th through 12th place.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Friendly reminder that the Draft for next year will be determined as follows:

- Reverse order of Regular Season standings as the initial order, expect the 2nd Round draft order will be subject to a lottery
- 1st Round is the option to select a Keeper, so it's its own thing;
- 2nd Round is the first true drafting round and may see a shuffle in the order via a lottery;
- Teams that continue to set their line-up during the Consolation Tournament and perform well (i.e. finish higher up) will receive some extra ping-pong balls, and have moderately/slightly improved odds of moving up;
- This concept was designed to give an incentive for teams that are eliminated before the semis to keep playing the final 3-5 weeks of the season, since it could yield a boon for the start of next year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bumping the keeper rules, I slightly refined the wording.

Two keepers total, you can keep:
  • A player who averaged under 48 fantasy points in exchange a 6th round pick
  • A rookie in exchange for a 9th round pick
  • Any player of your choice in exchange for a first round pick.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Oh, yeah, that's more accurate re: keepers. I was just trying to stress that the 2nd round will be the first full round of new drafting so it's the one impacted by le ping pong

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh yeah your thing was fine I just was trying to get people to think about it while they're thinking of things. h

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Rick posted:

Bumping the keeper rules, I slightly refined the wording.

Two keepers total, you can keep:
  • A player who averaged under 48 fantasy points in exchange a 6th round pick
  • A rookie in exchange for a 9th round pick
  • Any player of your choice in exchange for a first round pick.

i have a Concern about this: it seems weird to be able to keep a rookie that was a high pick (like e.g. Chet and Victor) for a pick that's several rounds behind what it took to get them initially.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Really, really good call to bench Valanciunas tonight lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

i have a Concern about this: it seems weird to be able to keep a rookie that was a high pick (like e.g. Chet and Victor) for a pick that's several rounds behind what it took to get them initially.

I think the idea when proposed was to reward the risk of taking a rookie.

I am open to changing it if people feel this way but like I did say ahead of time when we put this rule in that this could happen and everyone had a chance to pick Wemby and decided not to.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

good lord scooter's team tonight what the heck

Rick posted:

I think the idea when proposed was to reward the risk of taking a rookie.

I am open to changing it if people feel this way but like I did say ahead of time when we put this rule in that this could happen and everyone had a chance to pick Wemby and decided not to.

yeah i don't really remember when we first talked about it and i'm sure everyone was ok with it then. i don't think i really processed the possibility of being able to keep a second or third round guy for a 9th but then again what if he had busted, what then?!

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Yeah that’s simple risk/reward. If you wanted them you should have drafted them

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Chronicles posted:

Yeah that’s simple risk/reward. If you wanted them you should have drafted them

sure. i guess i just didn't process the possibility of keeping someone for a lower pick than you took them with, which runs counter to the usual Laws of Keepers. but we do a lot of heterodox fantasy laws in this league, no gods no masters

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Personally, the thing I like about fantasy bball is the drafting and trying to pull together a new random team each year - multiple keepers doesn’t seem as much fun to me.

But I’m open to anything. Not sure how much locking in a generational talent as a rookie keeper could unbalance the league.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Worst case is Rick turbostomps everyone next year and then it doesn't matter ever again

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Maybe allow the rookie to be kept but the draft pick would be dependent on production to some extent?

IIRC the 6th and 9th round keeper values were determined by Rick reviewing recent fantasy performances by round and pairing things up fairly.

But since rookie classes can fluctuate hugely in quality & opportunities to succeed as a rookie and sophomore, perhaps the cost for keeping the rook could factor that in? Wemby is obv an extreme outlier, but I could see merit in keeping it flexible.

Last year Rick determined a Round 6 keeper needed to average below 48 fantasy ppg. I assume that value will be recalculated year to year? If that definition is variable then I can see it as a reason to include some conditions in calculating which pick keeps a rookie.

Rick, what's our trade deadline btw? This Sunday?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd love to take credit but rivetz is the one who did the math, I just followed his suggestions. I would be curious where those numbers end up again but also am not smart enough to figure out how to figure that out. Figuring that stuff out and declaring the draft pick from there might be a good idea. Or we could get rid of it all together; I do think this wemby thing is an outlier, I mean just look at the season before to see how drafting rookies usually works out.

I'm totally cool with next week being the trade deadline. I don't envision any more big trades this season but who knows.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 23, 2024

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Actually seeing that Wemby has 36 fantasy points halfway through the first quarter tonight I think he should be deleted from the league

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Chronicles posted:

Actually seeing that Wemby has 36 fantasy points halfway through the first quarter tonight I think he should be deleted from the league

On it

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

By day's end we'll have our 3 groups for the Seeding & Qualifier match-ups.

10 teams are locked into their group already, with dutchy and DeimosRising battling for 4th place (i.e. a guaranteed berth in the playoffs).

Here's the current situation:

Dutchy is trailing kalensc by 320~ points
Dutchy is currently below the median score for the two weeks combined

Deimos is leading rivetz by 50~ points
Deimos is currently above the median score for the two weeks combined

If all 4 of those bear out, Deimos (Ho! Jim Boy) will eke past Dutchy (EricCart2k) to clinch the 4th place finish in the regular season.

If any of those 4 should flip, then they'd be at best (for Deimos) tied on W-L, and dutchy will win the tie-breaker via Points For rank (1500pt lead for dutchy after 16 weeks).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

kalensc posted:

By day's end we'll have our 3 groups for the Seeding & Qualifier match-ups.

10 teams are locked into their group already, with dutchy and DeimosRising battling for 4th place (i.e. a guaranteed berth in the playoffs).

Here's the current situation:

Dutchy is trailing kalensc by 320~ points
Dutchy is currently below the median score for the two weeks combined

Deimos is currently above the median score for the two weeks combined

If all 4 of those bear out, Deimos (Ho! Jim Boy) will eke past Dutchy (EricCart2k) to clinch the 4th place finish in the regular season.

If any of those 4 should flip, then they'd be at best (for Deimos) tied on W-L, and dutchy will win the tie-breaker via Points For rank (1500pt lead for dutchy after 16 weeks).

I forgot to add last week’s totals in and thought I was getting blasted

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

kalensc posted:

NOT FOR LONG

kalensc posted:

If all 4 of those bear out
THEY WILL NOT

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

rivetz posted:

NOT FOR LONG

THEY WILL NOT

Lmao drat your boys had a hell of a Sunday

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

For posterity, the original scores from what Fleaflicker considered Week 17 and Week 18:

All scores were summed and then input into the Week 17 box scores.

Week 18 now shows as an off-week.

Week 19 starts today, with 2 match-ups between top-4 teams battling for playoff seeding, 2 match-ups between mid-4 teams hoping to clinch a playoff berth, and 2 match-ups between the bot-4 teams that must win this week to stay alive for the playoffs.

Week 19's schedule is now live on Fleaflicker. Good luck to everyone! And remember, all GMs will have matches through the start of April, no matter which Placement finish you're vying for.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 28, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Losing by the difference between Ben Simmons and Sochan, who I had to cut to activate him, is hard to stomach.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Rick posted:

Losing by the difference between Ben Simmons and Sochan, who I had to cut to activate him, is hard to stomach.

poor ben, returns from back injury, triggers stomach malaise

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

The “Believed in Ben Simmons, to Detriment” is a large and distinguished club of which I also am a member.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Probably not going to matter with Brunson hurt but I did go in and set my roster earlier

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Eliminator Qualifiers

#9 - im the gm who sucks. plus i got depression, Ghost Dog (shorthand ITG)
versus
#12 - Eagle Doom Dunkers, The Ninth Layer (shorthand EDD)

pre:
 Stats     ITG      EDD
-------  -------  -------
RecOver   11-23    06-28
H2H W-L   07-10    04-13
Vs Med.   04-13    02-15

AvgPtsF  1740.60  1578.17
AvgPtsA  1825.51  1813.49

H2H-W11  1851.68  1224.39

Injury?  Dude...  Healthy
Ghost Dog drafted with a vision: pick up KAT in the 2nd banking on Minny finding their groove this season, draft Bane in the 3rd since he'd be ultra high usage when Ja was out & great in general, snipe Morant in the 5th for the latter 2/3 of our fantasy season, toss in LBJ as a 1st-round keeper, and baby, you got an Isaiah Stewart* goin'! Then they were dealt a one-two punch with injuries to the Grizzlies duo, and no roster is built to withstand losing two players who'd normally average 55-65 fppg as a floor. Nevertheless, Ghost Dog has re-tooled and added quite a few players that can put together huge games or stellar weeks, so it's all up to Lady Luck at this point. (I just saw KAT is out with personal reasons tonight - sometimes things are just cursed.)

* - a tremendous synergy between team name/theme and final round selection, Pistol Nice Pete would approve

The Ninth Layer has an elite top 5: Trae Young, Kawhi Leonard, Damien Lillard, Tyrese Maxey, and Jimmy Butler. Combined they average over 300 fppg, a number which I reckon leads our entire league in terms of pure Top 5 Guys. Unfortunately, inconsistency in setting line-ups resulted in a lot of losses, but if a squad was ever going to go from #12 to the Final Four, this would be the team.

#10 - Wet rear end Stussy, The Maestro (shorthand WAS)
versus
#11 - Jesus H. Crossover, Red Rox (shorthand JHC)

pre:
 Stats     WAS      JHC
-------  -------  -------
RecOver   10-24    09-25
H2H W-L   05-12    04-13
Vs Med.   05-12    05-12

AvgPtsF  1811.09  1641.41
AvgPtsA  1881.39  1824.59

H2H-W05  1873.30  1974.47

Injury?  A lil'?  Alas...
A match-up of two teams that both had high expectations coming out of the draft and through the first few weeks of the season, before encountering several crippling setbacks.

The Maestro kept Anthony Edwards, who has been solid, added Utah's wayward sons in Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert, and drafted Paul George in the hopes he'd be healthy. And he mostly has! Unfortunately, Zach LaVine and Bradley Beal, picked in the 4th and 6th rounds respectively, have experienced, um, turbulent seasons. There was a steep swoon between Weeks 3 and 10 inclusive, with the team going 0-16 overall. Then some bad luck, with consecutive weeks where The Maestro orchestrated a Win vs The Median but faced an opponent that composed an even higher score. With 3 H2H wins the past 4 weeks and multiple top-4 scores, the squad with absolutely no affiliation to Cardi B is getting hot at the right time.

Red Rox kept Doncic (#1 in fppg) and also kept Scottie Barnes (renowned bowling champion (quip likely baffling to non-Canadians)), then added LaMelo Ball, Bam Adebayo, and Evan Mobley. The Holy Father of Jesus H Crossover beheld their creation after five weeks, sitting tied atop of the leaderboards with a 9-1 overall record, flirting with a weekly average score around the 2000 mark, and with their sole loss occurring when their 3rd-best score of the week faced off with Chronicles' 1st-place score; Undead 1, EnHoly 0. Alas, after roughly 33 days of our fantasy season Jesus ascended to the heavens, and Red Rox began losing key players at a rate I'll deem "Covidian". A most excellent t-shirt avatar and optimistic start to the season were sadly forsaken by God Shammgod, leading to a 0-24 run to finish the regular season.

---------------

(lol so much for a short summary, bravo me)

kalensc fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 28, 2024

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

lmao so I use the Awful App on my phone to read SA... 99.99% of the time, but tonight I used the laptop

anyways I just scrolled up and jesus christ sorry for not timg'ing those screenshots

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Probably not going to matter with Brunson hurt but I did go in and set my roster earlier

Did it scramble on you? I can fix it if you tell me how you want it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
lol thank you kalen

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hahah yeah my roster got hosed too, it put Chris Paul back on the IR even though he wasn't IR eligible when I set my roster for the week yesterday.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

kalensc posted:

Red Rox kept Doncic (#1 in fppg) and also kept Scottie Barnes (renowned bowling champion (quip likely baffling to non-Canadians)), then added LaMelo Ball, Bam Adebayo, and Evan Mobley. The Holy Father of Jesus H Crossover beheld their creation after five weeks, sitting tied atop of the leaderboards with a 9-1 overall record, flirting with a weekly average score around the 2000 mark, and with their sole loss occurring when their 3rd-best score of the week faced off with Chronicles' 1st-place score; Undead 1, EnHoly 0. Alas, after roughly 33 days of our fantasy season Jesus ascended to the heavens, and Red Rox began losing key players at a rate I'll deem "Covidian". A most excellent t-shirt avatar and optimistic start to the season were sadly forsaken by God Shammgod, leading to a 0-24 run to finish the regular season.

---------------

(lol so much for a short summary, bravo me)

Ha nice work man, sums up my season pretty well. My team fell apart so hard I couldn’t bear to even log in, sorry. It just made me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Red Rox posted:

Ha nice work man, sums up my season pretty well. My team fell apart so hard I couldn’t bear to even log in, sorry. It just made me sad.

:glomp:

That's a legit bummer, and it's why the real life sports and fantasy sports leagues that I schedule give every team a small, but legitimate, path to 'the playoffs' as late in the season as possible. That way IRL Actual Important Stuff and NBA Injury Misfortune which impact a fantasy campaign aren't necessarily season-enders.