Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

grave of fireflies is a movie that made me so mad when i first watched it back in errr 2000?? like, just say youre sorry bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

watching burn the witch, only got about five minutes in before they dropped the totally bonkers statistic that in this world, 72% of deaths are attributable to dragons

for reference in the real world 73% of deaths are attributable to non-communicable diseases

dragons are twice as deadly as heart disease

death by dragon from breathing in toxic fumes from fires and probably their poo

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Good soup! posted:

There's Angel Cop where the real enemy is a Jewish conspiracy lol

finding out the history of antisemitism in japan began with the army in early 20th century reading the protocols of zion, translated by a virulent antisemite, and in less than a century it spawned a death cult in the form of the aum shinrikyo... just brain rot

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

This is supposedly happening

our saviour

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the sound design on OP anime always bothered me because it reused a lot of dbz noises
but if you start now you can prob catch up with the eventual ending in 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

i knew she was an ally

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Archibald Tuttle posted:

I've been rewatching Xam'd lately. Leftist? No idea. Saw it back in the day and wanted to watch it again. Was tough as no one is streaming it and physical copies are 200+ now, but someone uploaded it to Youtube.

Starts with a suicide bombing and goes from there. One of the characters tags along on a postal air ship while the military abuses the trauma of others for war crimes and child soldiers.

it starts really strong but i can barely remember how it went on so it prob fizzled out, but that op is still great

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
jesus AoT's ending is underwhelming, probably GoT s8 bad or Lost lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
80% of humanity was killed, but titans are no more so eldians can be citizens now, eren did it because now theres not enough people to start a war? ymir actually totally loved king fritz and the worm is never heard of again so it got killed by the headlock and eren never scored

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
godzilla sp is has been interesting so far but it's one of those egggead animes where a character is a dumptruck of physics and/chemistry terms and there's two of those here so i worry if it won't just get boring and padded out in five eps

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
vivy is hatsune miku terminator and rules 2 eps in

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

The Promised Neverland season 1 is good. Im 3 eps into seasons 2 and it got a little dumb but i dont see why people flipped out about it yet
basically they skipped whole volumes in season 2 and just did a tldr:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

is there an anime that explains the bubble economy?

I feel like there should be

yakuza 0

semi serious answer: kaiji is set in the fallout of the asset bubble burst, it doenst show what happened before but you can get a fell how lovely it got

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

So what's everyone's watch list this season?

I'm watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, Odd Taxi, and Zombieland Saga R. Tried to watch 86 but kind of bounced off it after the first three episodes.

im only two eps into 86 but the whole fascist setup seems kinda forced, like in the span of 9 years this group of white haired people kicked out every other ethnic group outside their walled off city and deemed everyone non-human but the lore exposition made it seem like nothing else came before, just that when the other nation invaded everyone became fascist? unless this is still just setup for some other dystopian twist

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Invincible is very bad at hiding it's cut corners animation wise

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
check the manga, the art is super cool and grimmy, the anime couldnt really ever get close to it but they did their best in closing the gap

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

mistermojo posted:

mmmm maybe I dont know if I want to start getting into manga but then again I spend most of my day pretending to work so

what I've noticed about most exciting new anime series is that the first few episodes are good because the author had some great original ideas but then they quickly run out of them and the shows turn into tournament arcs and literally the same plots, characters and settings as every other show of that type
it's a genre thing, imo shounen tournament arcs rule and while there's plenty of bad ones it's one of those things you either like it on the genre or not

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I think that's just called "soldiers coming home from war"

nam was an isekai

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Not anime, but rip over-time subs https://over-ti.me/releases/announcement/

Were goons still working in that group?

drat, toei just put down a whole fansub community

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
if theres a fifth season im hoping they do away with their quirky dialogue which felt very much like a more sweary josh wheedon wrote the screenplay

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the whole rebis thing was kinda eyebrow raising but i aint touching that but some scenes felt padded like the "im a fuckin vampire" my god, yes we get it, vampires are just thrist and lust or whatever

KomradeX posted:

I really liked the Comte de Saint Germain in the last season

the standout characters really are anyone but the game's three main ones, it's like after season 2 they didnt had a clue what to do with them so it just stalled

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Killing people is so awesome. I love it. I love killing people. It's what I'm good at. The killing people. I loving love killing people you stupid fucker. You loving stupid idiot. Just talking to you is wasting my time and preventing me from doing what I love, killing people.

that scene felt like half the episode runtime, maybe the VA was contracted for a set number lines and they backloaded all of them

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zerilan posted:

With better pacing/framing the vampire talking about how he's proud of winning wars through burning tents and murdering civilians and children in their sleep would have worked as a nice contrast to the member of Carmilla's coven who realized how pointless and tiresome the war they were fighting was after being ambushed by barely armed farmers defending their land.

oh right, the artorias armor scene, that one was also a weird tone and prolonged banter on the aftermath
it was the first, and only, time we saw the vampire incursion so they had to put the badass action scene and that bleak realisation on the same scene

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
there was also some spiel about diplomacy vs power which ok, didnt you enslave a dude with a magical ring ?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

gold experience requiem could simply win and kill kars forever, somehow, in an unclear way

kars is already lost to an immortality of reliving his final moments so GRE already won

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

worked himself to death wtf

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
im glad gats is now a chill dude

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1395861724423544833?s=19

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Im only two eps in 86 but I get the feeling there's no background for the apartheid from the platinum haired people before it happened, or maybe it's a perpetual war twist thing going on

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

We just had Invincible this year, the indie cape shits gonna keep getting animated imo.

that's prob more due to kirkman being kirkman, i dont think we'll be seeing some dynamite books capes animated anytime soon

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
downloading rurouni kenshin but got shigurui instead

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
better watch the demon slayer movie which adapts a part of the manga and it's pretty cool

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
tanjiro works cause he's the responsible parent

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

holy crap

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
eva gave us a ton of sweet nu metal amvs so that's a win

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Murase directed the new hathaway movie and it rocks
what a crazy beautiful looking flick

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
tomino having homicidal tendencies tracks

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
vivy's ending was cute but the show messed up its premise but whtvr

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
ragnarok on netflix takes my biggest disappointment award, mostly because it's so mediocre but at least is no kengan asura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/chain_saw__man/status/1409003608591396868?s=20