Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

an actual dog posted:

watched the following today:

Otherside Picnic has a great premise and I like the characters but I'm not sure if it works yet? I'm still pretty hype for it tho

the lns are extremely fun. the author is a huge internet/urban legends dork and goes out of their way to even cite specific 2ch threads for inspiration

also very serious about the main characters being gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

Watched all these episode 1's and they were good.
Cells at Work! Season 2 also is airing this season.

So I'm a Spider, So What? is probably going to be cool and first ep was decent.

aoi yuki gonna carry im a spider entirely on her voice acting and im ok with that

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

KaptainKrunk posted:

it's very top heavy. there's definitely a huge gap between like Giant Robo, Evangelion, Ghibli stuff, Cowboy Bebop, Kawajiri's work, Mamoru Oshii's stuff, Utena, Lain, LOGH, Berserk, the good sports/comedy/slice of life stuff on the one hand and then like...everything else that has been entirely dustbinned

you ever think about the fact that LOGH was an OVA and was sold in like 25 episode chunks for nearly $700 a pop. 2500 yen an episode! a steal!

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

eizouken is so good and im so happy it seems it made a lot of my friends into as big of dorks about animation (and specifically anime) as a medium as i am

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Bro Dad posted:

i refuse to watch a lupin dub where he doesnt use the term fujicakes

the pioneer dub is legit so good, the only thing i dont like about it is shoehorning in modern refs. i dont need to hear jigen talk about ebay. i'm sure there was a tough/way too old joke they translated it to but they went the wrong direction with it

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

err posted:

Watch LOGH folks, it's good

110 episodes is a loving lot but its so worth it

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

an actual dog posted:

I'm queued up to follow eight anime this season helpp

it owns so much all the covid delayed anime is fuckin back just as covid is getting way worse in japan

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Mar 21, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Good soup! posted:

I think it's because when it came out there was the thing about it saving anime and being a game changer or whatever but instead of something like say cowboy bebop, it was just horny annoying cringeworthy ultra anime poo poo that a vocal contingent of anime fans couldn't shut the gently caress up about

its fine. action anime made by trigger. no idea what people expect out of it

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

SerCypher posted:

thats every anime though

lmao right? every single season i feel like i see dozens of people hyping up some B grade shonen anime as the greatest anime of all time, i really dont understand how this is any different

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Oct 22, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Truga posted:

you better fuckin believe it lmfao

it owns 100%

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Mar 22, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Mar 22, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

RaySmuckles posted:

bumping "planetes" again; its about space garbage men. it definitely can be a bit...overly silly in moments, but the whole thing is an excellent view of capitalism and imperialism and is good hard space sci-fi. its really worth a full viewing cuz the ending is incredible

anyone got any recommendations for things to watch with this vibe and style? its exactly up my alley

i've already seen some: like cowboy bebop and stand alone complex, but i would love to explore more.

the original ghost in the shell movie (pls dont watch 2.0 it adds horribly ugly cgi), 0080 war in the pocket, the original patlabor ova + the first two movies (imo the rest is worth skipping)

macross plus would also be good, another ova/movie depending on what you want directed by watanabe before he did cowboy bebop, you can really see all of the seeds for it in it. its set after the original macross series and doesnt require any knowledge of the franchise, but also macross DYRL is one of the most amazingly animated movies ever also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxahwxY_5jg

https://sakugabooru.com/data/ba766483e01ca1ca02fb7c0f1e25f4db.mp4

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Jan 12, 2021

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
macross is also the series itano really started doin itano circuses and its so fuckin good looking lol. rip all that bubble economy money that allowed this to happen

https://sakugabooru.com/data/c1fe9e3d7a4aab9c2a30a84e705cb136.mp4

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

RaySmuckles posted:

thanks for the replies

i've actually seen the original macross and i can tell you that, just like minmay, my boyfriend is also a pilot

keep the recs coming: good animation, action and that oh so unique japanese feel for tech, society, and nature

less action-y/future-y, but Paranoia Agent does it for a lot of my friends who arent into anime

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

crepeface posted:

a battletech game came out from paradox about 2 years ago that seems good.

also if you haven't played Into the Breach it's amazing

i gotta draw a line somewhere

read fsn for real its so good

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Jun 10, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Jun 10, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 13:43 on Jun 10, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
anime kicks rear end this season

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
the mangaka apparently gonna put out a covid special, i wanna read it

also liked the part of this weeks black episode where red blood cell is brought to his knees crying when he learns not all sex is for reproductive purposes, and also the blood cells kinda roasting the guy they live in

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Jan 18, 2021

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

astolfo go home!!!

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

christmas boots posted:

That Time I Died And Got Reincarnated As A Tremendous Piece Of poo poo

rimuru is nice though!!

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

an actual dog posted:

there was a beautiful episode of yuru camp today where two girls ate delicious eel and had a nice talk about their lives, and you're putting one brain cell towards thinking about this crap

yuru camps tone is so good its so nice to watch

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

wolfs posted:

you should all watch wonder egg priority if you’re after some serious business depression and suicide currently airing content that looks really nice

like that dark souls boss spidergirl, girl up top spider carapace down below, or like your friendly neighborhood spoderman?

because honestly the first 5 seconds or so of the ed is a good portrayal of how spiders scuttle really fast and i find it satisfying to watch and i’ll be sad to lose the spider gimmick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eciJ-ercyPU

also the small enka interlude is fun

even if the spider gimmick goes (it prob wont this season based on the LNs) you still have aoi yuuki

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
theres a real good scene in patlabor 2 thats a good like, illustration of that. and just how quickly normal it can be come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Bg4SQvhXU

specifically the bit starting at like 4:45. and lol the military otaku taking selfies in front of a missile battery in their cosplay, i forgot about that

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Xaris posted:

i've now caught up with yuru camp. very good

its a very good example of the healing genre

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Maya Fey posted:

are you a bad enough dude to find out why "astolfo" is trending

god drat that guys dick is huge

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

New episodes of Vlad Love out and there are some incredible references including an extended Patlabor 2 scene which was just :discourse:

its so wild to see oshii do comedy again

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
there are so many things to watch that aren't lovely shonen anime #2534 pls be kind to yourself

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/mega64/status/1366403811640680450

the joke at the end got me big time

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
desperately wish anime discussion online wasnt 90-95% people talking about the latest c grade seasonal shonen lol

esp in a season that includes loving Wonder Egg Priority

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
fma brotherhood whips rear end. hiromu arakawa's other stuff is really good too, silver spoon is one of my favs of all time

https://www.crunchyroll.com/silver-spoon

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
the anime is really not doing justice to the Otherside Picnic lns tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Mirello posted:

what is the spider show you guys are talking about?

https://www.crunchyroll.com/so-im-a-spider-so-what

it rules imo