Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lostconfused posted:

Gundam Narrative is revisionism.
yeah, it revised the notion that a "Narrative" has to be coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

uc next is bullshit i hope hathaway blows up banagher in his movie.
unsatisfied with murdering Chan, the younger Noa continues his deadly spree

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Narrative has a really good story. It's just told in a jaw-droppingly incompetent way.
you just described a bad story, friend

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

In the novel tomino wrote of CCA, hathaway doesn't kill chan but instead quess, lol.
i can't tell if its better or worse for him to have killed an innocent person or the victim of a powerful pedophile who was sex-trafficked into space and is expressing her trauma through Big Zam praxis

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yeah, a couple of the side characters and villians have satisfying conclusions, but it mainly fizzled out.

It has a second secret op that's also pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxUqFJ3JT4
i'm mega-pissed that xam'd wasn't great

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

She was trying to shoot amuro in the middle of his duel with char for what it's worth
good

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Flavius Aetass posted:

I love gundam but I can't stand how every series ends with some corny poo poo about the power of love, sometimes literally
sounds like you just accidently talked some poo poo on Gunbuster, so let me stop you right there, pal

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

I for one oppose the persecution of homosexuals
amuro isn't gay, he's just a zero pussy motherfucker

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the reason the novel is called "Beltorchika's Children" is because amuro is a cuck

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pulcinella posted:

Whelp just started season two of Gundam 00 and its entertaining, but this show really is just starting to poo poo itself. Beerfesting a character back to life has got to be the dumbest plot point in any Gundam series. Should have just made Sanji Crossroads the new sniper. Also Hulu doesn’t translate the location names or on screen text in the sub or dub. Usually you can figure it out based on context, but not always.
i'm giving you permission to stop and just pretend that 00 only had 1 season

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lostconfused posted:

Code Geass suffered from the same thing.
code geass loving rocks, though. 00 s2+movie were awful

C-Euro posted:

I loved Wing 20 years ago (oh God :negative:) when it was on Toonami, but every time I say "maybe I should re-watch Gundam Wing" on this forum people tell me it's bad.
same but wing absolutely holds up. have all the people who told you otherwise show up at my house so i can kick their asses.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

christmas boots posted:

lmao the first episode of Gundam Wing ends with the hero tearing up an invitation to a teenage girl's birthday party and then promising to murder her.

I haven't watched it since the Toonami days but that fact will never leave me
dude how the gently caress can you forget this? personally, my family is under strict instructions to place me into a reduced cognitive care facility should I ever forget what "i'll kill you" is in japanese. the sick BGM kicking in the second after delivery has had me howling for 20+ years now.

Stairmaster posted:

Gundam wing is like if they tried to do a war story in the fast and furious film series
great, now i'm gonna spend the rest of the night imagining homoerotic lines from F&F delivered by wing characters, interspersed with thinking about Vin Diesel having a violin duet with Ludacris

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Oldest Man posted:

great now I'm thinking about a live action wing adaptation with vin diesel in it
only if he has to be Quatre DaBaby Weiner

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gripweed posted:

Vaush the Stampede
mods

please

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Flavius Aetass posted:

i started watching gundam wing again for the first time since high school and it owns._____________ ________________ __________________ ____________________________ ___________ ____________________ ____________ ____________ ____________ ______________ ___________________ _____________ ______________ _________ ___________________ __________________ ____________ ______________________ _______________________ ___________ ___________________
gently caress, i was so ready to get mad at this.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Serf posted:

local man mad about anime translation, reveals that he is a nazi

https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000194844700672?s=20

warning, this thread does become incredibly hateful towards trans people after a certain point. reading it is like chasing colonel kurtz, things just become more and more batshit along the way
https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000792625291269?s=20
lol "DIRECT TRANSLATION ONLY"
*500 figures of speech, idioms, slang*
"wtf"

e:lol oh my god it skips right to "i'm not a nazi, but you gotta hand it to hitler"

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Apr 25, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hodgepodge posted:

lol mfer doesnt even have a second language and wants to tell people how to translate poo poo
leave it to some zoomer nazi to think there is a single objectively "correct" 1:1 translation for every word

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SpaceGoku posted:

I'm sorry but if they don't translate the foot fetish femdom lolicon anime correctly I'm going to have to become a fascist
yeah that's the best part. it's a show with a huge kid fucker fan base, but the translation is the problem for the nazis? but don't worry she's not actually black, she's just really tan so it's okay to be horny for the child.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

HootTheOwl posted:

It's also funny how a guy dropping slurs thinks words have exactly one meaning.
this guy really seems to hate transmissions!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

an actual dog posted:

I know this isn't actually the point but the word the anime girl said that was translated as "acting sus" is a slang shorthand of a word that means "acting suspicious"
Yes but we all know that actual, current high school students never use the word "sus" or any other slang, and thus i'm mad about my peodphile cartoon because trans people so all anime should include japanese slang that i wouldn't understand

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best webnovel translation was the one where the guy intentionally and openly refused to translate any common noun. it was almost completely unreadable, because obviously there weren't footnotes or anything explaining what all these untranslated terms meant.
TL note: "keikaku" means "plan"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Good soup! posted:

lmao massive mother loving what that's not the interpretation I got at loving all from Jin Roh unless you're going purely by the Kerberos armor design being rad
that’s the only lesson anyone else has ever learned from Jin Roh!

“wow, cool nazi death squad!”

nazi death squad: ❌
nazi-death squad: ✅

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

just go to nyaa.si isps don't care if you torrent anime
using nyaa.si also gives you an excellent chance of receiving anime bits from the dedicated NAS of SomethingAwful Forums Superstar, TenementFunster.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BULBASAUR posted:

watched The Castle of Cagliostro remastered and it was lovely indeed
Count Cagliostro is Anime Epstein

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
crossposting to the watch thread

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Voice of Labor posted:

it transforms into a robot, right?
no, but it occasionally activates a device that creates Good Imperialists

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Black Lagoon is a leftist anime. they kill just so many nazis in ep 5. i rest my case.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mirello posted:

lol, I know it's cool to be like "this popular thing is trash" but all the anti re:zero stuff is pretty dumb. lol at the one guy who watched four episodes out of order and says its crap. I guess I'd grant that it takes a bit to really get good, but once you're in you're hooked. lol at some dude saying it's a power fantasy, suburu's literal only power is to die and suffer horribly. He might be one of the most cursed guys in anime. the fun of the show is seeing him be in all these hosed up situations and see how he can get out of it. especially season 2 really seemed like he was hosed, but somehow they pulled it out.
it's a terrible show for horny losers

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

So what you're saying is women are responsible for both the isekai genre and the real mecha genre
Turn A is an isekai

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yurucamp is an isekai

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Raiad posted:

hoping michael douglas is having a good time with his harem of anime girls and his absurd cheat power
i'm isekai actor michael douglas

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol i forgot Roberta's backstory is straight up "I'm a cuban-trained assassin for FARC"

this dumb show rules.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been thinking about Turn-A Gundam the last few days.
it rules

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

It does!

But I also feel like it's story of an exiled people returning except oops there are already people living there is very relevant.
yeah, but what if the invaders have a huge technological and military advantage? surely that's gotta make it different!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wolfs posted:

wait. the shin chan dub on adult swim was a gag, and not real?
it was a real gag

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

spacemang_spliff posted:

I've been listening to city pop like a loving dork and now I want to watch 80s/90s anime

what does this thread recommend?
city hunter, bitch

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lostconfused posted:

Just because I am dumb enough to watch over one hundred episodes of a guy getting smashed in the head with a hammer for trying to grope women, doesn't mean everyone else should.
lol i got probated by Something Awful Forums Moderator "twoday" for saying this, so please be careful!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gundam Hathaway rocks, and is very atypical of a Gundam movie since it has such a narrow focus on the human scale of the conflict. Not nearly as much mecha action as you'd suppose it would have. My only real complaint is that it's inconclusive since it's just setting up a sequel show or movie.
it was very good, especially after NT, which was the opposite

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite thing about G Hathaway is how it pays attention to the minute details when it comes to collateral damage. Like, this was about as detailed as collateral damage got before in F91:

In Hathaway you have superheated Minovsky particles sprinkling off and melting roads & steel. It never gets explicit with how this would effect people, but it does create a palpable sense of danger for everyone who is caught in the crossfire.
yeah this was very well-done. for the first time since that scene from f91, hathaway really drives home the reality that these wow cool robot fights would be terrifying as a bystander. RIP gigi's handbag.

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 10:17 on Jul 3, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bit where they shelter in the apartment building is great because there's no way to tell, from their perspective, that a mobile suit has landed on the roof and is about to cave in that whole side of the building.
i had the same reaction and it was SO good. i need to get a gif of when everyone was trying to get away from the battle, and emerelda (my wife) stopped running, covered her ears and faced away from the imminent shockwave when she saw the plasma beam fired. hathaway did all the archetypical fun Gundam Stuff (war = bad, Wow Cool Robot, all the good guys and bad guys inexplicably hang out) without any of the bad stuff (implausible character motivations or confusing editing choices). Lane Aim fitting into the “what if gundam pilot but too young with untapped potential” as a side character where he would traditionally be the main character is a nice twist as well. all around fantastic. great to see gundam make me immediately give a poo poo about UC characters that aren’t amuro and char.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is a bit much that every woman in Noa's crew is a stonecold smokeshow, but w/e.
as far as rebellion leaders go, it could be, ah, worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is pretty funny that Char's inner circle all just assume he's a pedophile and are OK with it.
space epstein, baby.