Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

so I forgot to keep up with the Discotek release of Hajime no Ippo and :drat: looks like it has already sold out everywhere I've seen online

loving dope, hope it keeps up and we get New Challenger and Rising down the line (and fingers crossed Madhouse does another season in the future)

As someone who loves the show, and follows the manga, I'm ok if they don't make any more of the anime. I think it ended at a really good and hopeful point. If they did make new seasons, there's a lot they should cut out imo. And I dont see how you could do the last three years (since ippo retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what is the spider show you guys are talking about?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Maya Fey posted:

the manga is always better. and thats a fact jack

I dunno, dude, yyh is a good example. another one is trigun, one of my fav shows. tried to read the manga and couldnt understand wtf is going on. that author just isnt great at conveying things imo

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Animes I never got to experience as a kid: naruto, dbz, one piece, yugioh. Any of those worth watching just for the hell of it, or at least up to a certain point? I was 100% pokemon but I sort of feel like I missed something

I watched naruto as an adult and it was so awesome I immediately watched it again with my wife. The ending arc is pretty crap (and a third of the show) but the first 2/3rds is as good as any shonen anime has been. Watch naruto kai!

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

naruto is legitimately really good until the end of the chuunin exam arc

cmon dude, pain and itachi are pretty amazing too

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

star eater posted:

why is there no dub of stardust crusaders anywhere right now? I have to go to some third-rate kiss anime clone to find it. annoying. I just wanna listen to Joseph joestar go "OH MY GOD" in english

Good news for you about the sub of stardust crusaders

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

itachi was cool until you learned way too much about the uchiha and their stupid eyes

pain is also cool but its not worth reading/watching shippuden for him (and even then it falls right off a cliff after his arc's conclusion)

Just stop watching after pain (or itachi if it's after) naruto's narrative arc is over after that fight anyways. You could even just skip to the last few episodes too.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lol the event was a clusterfuck but I'm glad I was able to watch this moment. please god let it release in summer, or at least this year. A bit worried since they didnt give a date

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
drat this thread.

I'm staying away for a while because I just finished s1 of geass and I think its loving awesome. about 5 eps into s2 it is a bit more confusing but hopefully I don't end up as negative as you guys. the funny thing is after geass I'm planning to finally watch AoT, which everyone was also talking about / spoiling right before. It's like this thread is responding directly to what I'm watching (and calling it dumb as poo poo)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

i love that the whole series could have ended near the end of s1 but doesn't because of a complete accident which causes the princess to massacre people with assault weapons

This was the part that really took it from great to amazing for me lol. they foreshadowed it pretty well, and I knew Euphemia was a bit too happy to continue doing her thing. Then again, I love it when crazy poo poo happens.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well my wife and I are like halfway through geass season 2 and I'm sad to say it has become stupid as poo poo. like we'll still finish it because you guys are saying the ending is good, but it's sad. S1 was pretty much a masterpiece imo. any of the movies/ovas worth watching?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Vash the Stampede is a lib

shut your dirty mouth.

alsooooo, I finsihed code geass s2 and man it's actually awesome. kind of a week middle, but everything after shirley died was awesome. great ending as well. I mean, sure, many things did not make sense and s1 was better, but I was left ultimately satsfied, and had a huge grin on my face for most of it, so that's good. Lol that right after it my wife said "this is the best anime I've ever watched" almost crying lol.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the trigun manga goes wild after a certain point, i forget if its over or not tho

that manga is legit the only time I've ever stopped reading because the art was too confusing. maybe the translation I was reading wasn't good either, but I just couldn't understand wtf was going on.

trigun is a classic, and I wont hear any criticism of it. Vash is fighting for a kinder more peaceful world. In the end, he does recognize that sometimes killings is necessary, and he was too dogmatic before (as shown by legato). He still holds to his ideals tho. also lol at the ending talk, you guys get that they literally cant die right? Knives was basically hit by a nuke at close range and survived it.

also, double lol that vash and lelouch are voiced by the same guy (whose voice I love btw). the least murdery and the most murdery protaginists of all time. Although they both have similar goals.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxbot posted:

i've always loved code geass but gently caress s2 makes me a pizza hut slut

I'm sure its already been said but lol that pizza hut paid for like 3 spots and the creators thought that it was so funny that they shoved it into every episode

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

Speaking of translations, I get the sense that Discotek's subs for Hajime no Ippo are too 1:1 at times, somewhat stilted lines sprinkled throughout and could have used some more of a localization touch?? If that's even a thing?

I don't remember the Geneon translation too well but I can't recall seeing as much near-awkwardly formal english lines as on these blu rays

Interesting. I just rewatched the pirated version, and I really noticed how great the subs are. Every character has a unique voice and the use of lingo is really well done. One of the better subs I've seen tbh.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

i watched all of "iron-blooded orphans" which i found to be decent but pretty weird. after that i was a little tired of shows so i asked for movie recommendations and got "redline" which kicked rear end. my friends also told me to watch "your name" which really put me through the emotional wringer. the last movie i watched was "summer wars" which was a nice diversion, but it is odd that i watched two movies back to back that both had an object unexpectedly falling from space as key plot points. i was also recommended "weathering with you" by the same director as "your name" but i don't think i can handle that just yet and i'm gonna wait

Weathering with you was just ok imo. I loved your name. If you want something that hit just as hard for me, check out ride your wave. Really really loved that one.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pillsburysoldier posted:

The Promised Neverland season 1 is good. Im 3 eps into seasons 2 and it got a little dumb but i dont see why people flipped out about it yet

havent watched but from what I've heard it gets real bad at like ep 4 or 5 lol.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

yeah lol. I mean I'm not the biggest fan but re:zero rules. Theres a reason its so big. That guy's trolling

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I know it's cool to be like "this popular thing is trash" but all the anti re:zero stuff is pretty dumb. lol at the one guy who watched four episodes out of order and says its crap. I guess I'd grant that it takes a bit to really get good, but once you're in you're hooked. lol at some dude saying it's a power fantasy, suburu's literal only power is to die and suffer horribly. He might be one of the most cursed guys in anime. the fun of the show is seeing him be in all these hosed up situations and see how he can get out of it. especially season 2 really seemed like he was hosed, but somehow they pulled it out.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

Sry people made fun of your favorite harem anime dude

sorry for discussing anime in the anime thread, bitch

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
RIP what a loving loss. gently caress

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hows wonder egg priority

I enjoyed it a ton. The asthetics stay awesome throughout, but the story loses a bit of steam near the end.

It's definately hurt by the fact the last episode was delayed to... July or something? I'd wait until it comes out to start watching

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say yes. Even in this thread, we have what I'd say is the my biggest pet peeve of modern criticism: if a character says a bad thing or has a bad belief, that must reflect the author, and therefore the work is wrong. And if you don't show that villain getting their comeuppance, you agree with them. There's basically no place anymore for ambiguity. (spoilers below for WEP)

The puppet guys are so obviously the bad guys. they trick the girls and are making them do things. In the last few episodes they're basically twirling their mustaches. However, for reasons I can't understand, everyone has taken them to be the voice of the author. I'm not saying its show of the year, but it's a very interesting and unique premise, and I'm glad that in an industry where everything is becoming more trite and generic they tried something new. It definitely has it's flaws though. The biggest problem is that the studio tortured its workers into the literal hospital (unfortunately commonplace in the industry), and there's no ending, although that should be remedied by an ova at some point, hopefully.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Uh oh, the WEP ova came out and was received horribly. I didn't know that. Sorry, I might be wrong then. However I'd still say the first half I'd worth watching.

Speaking of bad endings, my wife and I just watched AoT and then I read to the ending. Holy poo poo man. A great series that just totally blundered the ending. Also amazing that the anime ended right before the the series becomes a trash fire. Really looking forward to watching the anime onlies react, assuming they don't make any big changes. Should be game of thrones s8 all over again.

Tbh, I still really enjoyed 90% of it. Season 1 is just ok, but everything (in the anime) after that was amazing. Also, contrary to popular sentiment, as a Jew I thought it was kind of cool to watch. I don't really think the author is a fascist or anti semite, just very confused and not able to really adequately wrap everything up. But man, the last 20 chapters really hosed up.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

It's hosed up how Americans decided Miyazaki is the elder statesman of anime, when Tomino is a better choice in every way.

yeah lol it was just america, he isn't revered in japan at all you loving retard.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well, on the flipside https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6z2spq/top_anime_and_anime_directors_voted_by_japanese/dms1dnd/

I was trying to find a poll of the japanese population as opposed to critics, but I couldn't. I actually think the other ghibli director who died is better, however its just stupid to pretend that miyazaki isn't widely considered the best anime director. you can personally disagree, but the fact is he is.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Takahata is my personal "best anime director" pick. Only Yesterday is my favorite animated film and Tale of Princess Kaguya was a visual masterpiece.

Satoshi Kon dying relatively young was loving tragic though :smith:

I'm in total agreement. I saw Kaguya in theaters and was crying at the end. I'd prob say Kon is my favorite ever, but it's hard to say because he only had a few years. But everything he made is so perfect.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
somewhat off topic, but my wife and I have been watching "the disastrous life of Saiki K". Man this show is so loving good. It has to be the funniest anime I've ever seen. The premise is awesome, pretty much all of the characters are hilarious, and every "episode" is only 4 minutes, which means even if a premise is just ok its on to the next one soon. I also really like that it's very wholesome and light. It's a nice break from all the grim dark bullshit in both media and real life. I ignored it on netflix for a long time because I thought it looked stupid, but seriously, give it a shot. Its premise is totally different, but it kind of gives me the same feeling as watching futurama.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Getting in before all the contrarians to say that the last eva movie loving owned. worth the 9 year wait. I enjoyed pretty much every second of it.

Something I kept thinking about is the similarities between eva and twin peaks (bizzarre I know). Extremely odd original show that nonetheless becomes extremely popular. After an odd ending an infamously impenetrable movie comes out which creates as many questions as answers. 25 years later the author returns to their work and does it again, even with decades in between.

I mean I'm definately biased, I've loved eva since I first watched it as a teenager and now I'm grown up and married. It's a weird weird feeling. I was pretty emotional throughout.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

So, am I going to be spending the next five years having to look up what the gently caress happened just like I did for End of Eva?

I mean I felt like it was pretty clear, but I'm also a freak that loves watching video essays on youtube so maybe.

I've always been of the opinion that in eva none of the specifics of whats going on are really important, its more so the themes and emotions and relationships between characters. In that way it's pretty simple.

Mirello has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Aug 13, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
berserk

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GoLambo posted:

Ironically it was Champloo that helped the exposure of nujabes and eventual explosion of Chillhop etc which is absolutely a big cultural force now. I think Champloos impact is huge just subtle, it's still an adult swim show from the early era. It's absolutely the anime for non anime nerds.

I still think Bebop is the best of those shows though, it earned it. I would still go so far as to call it The Best Anime That Isn't A Film if you had some bullshit top 100 list. It has incredible pacing all around and perfectly blurs the line between episodic and long term plot content. The music is great and unique throughout every episode while maintaining a consistent theme, the shows emotional content is mature without being overwrought, the animation is about as good as you get for the time for a TV show. I know Eva had a bigger impact in japan but Bebop like, legitimized anime in the west. The english voice cast being lightning striking twice doesn't hurt.

I know this is basic bitch anime opinion, but I totally agree with you. Cowboy bebop is just one of those once every 10 year greats. Everything comes together so well, it's unbelievable.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol timely, netflix just released cast pics of their adaptation.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1429790569946046464

Looks pretty bad imo. I mean live action adaptations are never good, but the vibe from spike and faye are just off. Jet looks good.

It's so annoying that due to racism, john cho is basically the only asian male actor in hollywood. he's way too old. I'll still watch that crap anyways.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so my wife and I are watching fate finally. We did Fate: unlimited blade works, and just finished the 3 heavens feel movies. pretty fun all around. cool character design and world, and I'm a sucker for the different paths thing. the really insane part is that season 1 of UBW sucks. like it's seriously not really good. but season 2 is really really good and then all of the heaven's feel movies are excellent. It's by the studio that did demon slayer so the art and animation is amazing throughout. seriously there were parts in the movies that may be some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. sometimes it would have this beautiful shot of the city or something for 2 seconds, and it was sad to think of some artist working for hours for that 2 second shot. I'd give it a shot, if you've ever had any interest.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my favorite youtube philosophy guy put out a video about berserk and Nietzsche

https://youtu.be/zxTwYdYzw8c

sorry to undermine this piss discussion, but this video is pretty excellent

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man the last chapter of berserk is so emotional and sad. the good really do die young. gently caress

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
looks like poo poo man. jet looks ok but i just cant agree with faye or spikes casting. chill late 20s early 30s is so essential to the character! I'll give it a shot but man, really not worth it imo

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So what was the thought process behind casting John Cho to play Spike but then not casting a Chinese actress to play Faye? Did they think they filled the quota?

lol I was gonna say something like this in my post but I didnt want it to come off wrongly. Faye is canonically chinese! Spike isnt even asian! like it's so obvious they were afraid of a Ghost in the shell situation and the execs at netflix just plucked the only asian hollywood male they could think of.pathetic

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if it's bad (it is), it isn't because they cast the wrong ethnicities.

lol, I dont give a poo poo about any of the ethnicities of the actors. spike shouldnt be nearly 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so I finally finished fate/zero and now I'm done with fate (watched ubw and heavens feel)

man, a lot of highs and lows. mostly lows though. First seasons of fate zero and ubw suck, because they feel super padded. second seasons both of them are better, although I feel like ubw is carried by it's "twist" which is pretty cool. just way too much chaff too wheat imo. I'm surprised they're so beloved in general. my wife and I both hate saber, can't believe she's one of the #1 waifus in anime history. Fate zero wasn't great because it had so many characters and I really only cared for rider and his master and kiritsigu. the rest of them were pretty boring/stupid.

Heaven's feel movies are super awesome, and you should probably watch unlimited blade works before (the first season is boring so feel free to just fast forward the boring parts). skip fate zero unless you really love the concept.