Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

About the Game
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure is a fantastic 2008 action puzzle/platformer for the Nintendo DS. It is quite literally a puzzle/platformer - we'll be simultaneously juggling a 2D action game on one screen, and a Puzzle League clone on the other. This game is charming, hilarious, and has some of the best video game music you've never heard before. It's also hard. Like, absurdly hard - you won't really get a sense of it in the first few videos, but the game's difficulty is oftentimes unrelenting.

Oh and it was developed by the same studio who makes the Madden NFL series. So who better to make an LP of the most British game ever made by an American studio than a Canadian named theenglishman?

Our hero, Henry Hatsworth, is a professor of practical adventuring and a member of the prestigious Pompous Adventurers' Club. He and his boyservant/sidekick Cole steal acquire ancient relics for the glory and fun of it all. But then, well, I think the plot blurb from the manual summarizes this games best (huge thanks to Quackles for scanning his copy for me!)

Henry Hatsworth User Manual posted:

Henry Hatsworth begins his well-dressed adventure deep in the jungle: where he is looking for a legendary golden hat. Rumour has it the hat is cursed, but Hatsworth is far too much of a realist to believe in such things. However, if he finds such a hat, and the curse is actually true. perhaps it would be just the first of many exploits. Unfortunately, Hatsworth isn't the only adventurer searching for lost treasures. He's got competition, namely his rival, Weasleby. the Pompous Adventurers' Club's #2 adventurer. Arrogant and resourceful, Weasleby will stop at nothing to prove he's a better adventurer than Hatsworth even resorting to sneaky, underhanded tactics.

About the LP
Joining me as always are pdPreciousRoy and ChaosArgate. Both are going in completely blind (Chaos saw a few minutes of test footage but that doesn't count) and I cannot wait to see their reactions to some of the craziest moments. This will be a 100% LP - we'll be getting every upgrade and completing every secret level. This is one of those games where getting everything is almost a requirement to beat the final boss - and even then, you'll need all the help you can get.

As a special incentive to shamelessly promote the thread get people interested in the game, I'll be putting up the first upload today and the second on Sunday. From then on, there'll be one update every Sunday around 10 am EST, and hopefully I'll remember to update the thread. That seemed to be a problem in my last time, but that megathread also lasted a very long time, and I expect this one to be much shorter.

Unlike my previous LPs, there will not be separate videos for cut and uncut commentary - it's not like this game has the deepest lore or anything. That being said, please don't spoil anything related to upcoming gameplay or the small amount of story the game does have. Especially that boss. You know the one.

Videos
Full Playlist

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Reserving second post for more cool stuff!

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
Oh man! This game was too hard for me when I had it, but it was such a good little weird-rear end game. I'm very excited to see someone LP it :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks like a really interesting concept for a game. Looking forward to what madness it will evolve to.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
It's hard for me to nail down precisely what's strange about the game, but it's sort of like...an American interpretation of Britishness, kind of like you expect Dick van Dyke to go skipping into frame. Nothing wrong with that, and I think the overall effect is very charming, but it's just jumping out at me.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I love this game. But I could never beat the final boss. Avenge me!

Fun fact: I think the number of hits comboing on an enemy in the real world affects the chance of an enemy becoming a monster block in the Puzzle Realm (as opposed to an energy block or item).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've seen this get hyped in the Discord for a while now, so I'm eager to see it in full.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What a bizarre little game!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm enjoying the "jiminy" in the Cole babble but I haven't heard a "willickers" yet and this is bothering me.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I remember beating this game, but I don't remember if I was using savestates or not. The end definitely gets pretty difficult, that's for sure. Fun as heck though. I still keep some of the music around to play when I'm feeling particularly pompous too. It's great!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm enjoying the "jiminy" in the Cole babble but I haven't heard a "willickers" yet and this is bothering me.

I thought the thing that went after 'jiminy' was 'cricket'. :v:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I just realized that I have a family commitment on Sunday which means I may not be able to update the thread on time, so I'll post this update today instead. Future updates will be on Sundays as scheduled - once I've gotten my backlog completely filled up, I will switch to two updates a week.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
This is an interesting little game, I based some fun things off it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, I didn't know that the special gave you i-frames, or I'd have used it a lot more often.

Also: ...Lady D sounds consumptive.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 10, 2021

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Those bat enemies are obviously Woobats.

Quackles posted:

Wow, I didn't know that the special gave you i-frames, or I'd have used it a lot more often.

Also: ...Lady D sounds consumptive.

Lady D sounds like she's given Joe Camel a run for his money.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
This game seems really charming.

Lady D sounds like she could use a nice cup of tea, so maybe Hatsworth could help with that. Also, I think the bats could be called Flyeballs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Also, what was going on with Hatsworth's sprite? There was a weird after image trailing after him, mostly in the second half of the video.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Solumin posted:

Also, what was going on with Hatsworth's sprite? There was a weird after image trailing after him, mostly in the second half of the video.

The afterimage is the effect of the 'star' powerup, which doubles Hatsworth's damage for a little while.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Comments about the developer made me remember the other game the designer made: Monster Tale. It's another mashup game, only this time it's a Metroidvania on the top screen and a tamogachi on the bottom screen. It didn't have the same level of charm but was also pretty good, from what I remember.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I played this game on my old DS Phat waaaay back in the day and loved it, but theenglishman is right, this game is not loving around. Its difficulty curve resembles pressing your nose to the outer wall of a skyscraper and staring straight up. Nevertheless, I think it's one of two games, along with TWEWY, that synergise perfectly with the DS hardware, to the point where the game and the system are indissociable.

Looking forward to more!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Nighthand posted:

Comments about the developer made me remember the other game the designer made: Monster Tale. It's another mashup game, only this time it's a Metroidvania on the top screen and a tamogachi on the bottom screen. It didn't have the same level of charm but was also pretty good, from what I remember.

I’ve heard good things about that game but haven’t played it. I should get around to that.

Speaking of Monster Tale...

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Incredible. They had announced they wanted to make a new version of it back in 2015 but then nothing ever came of it, so everyone thought it was abandoned, and now here they go announcing this.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh sweet, this game was an underrated gem. Had no idea the same designers made Monster Tale, that was a fun one too. :3:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I think I'm going to stick to Saturdays for updates, since it's better for me - if that's okay with everyone.

Anyway, in this week's update, we're finishing up World 1, and this is where the difficulty spike really kicks in.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I do love that Lady D's old husbands are used as a weapons and then their remains help you after LadyD is dead and even deliver your reward.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

NHO posted:

I do love that Lady D's old husbands are used as a weapons and then their remains help you after LadyD is dead and even deliver your reward.

What?!

HOW DID I NEVER NOTICE THAT

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You don't really use the powered-up bullets much huh? You had a lot of opportunities during that fight to just tap a shot out before switching to the puzzle to do things for bonus damage.

I checked and I still have my old MP3s for the OST I could upload somewhere if it's not too :filez: to do so. Since it WAS available free before... Though, you can find most of it on Youtube, and the primary composer has a lot of it on Soundcloud too.

The theremin tango is literally called "The Moist Tango", and Lady D's boss theme is "Cake or Death".

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Nighthand posted:

You don't really use the powered-up bullets much huh? You had a lot of opportunities during that fight to just tap a shot out before switching to the puzzle to do things for bonus damage.

That’s probably the one thing I regret the most about the footage I recorded: not using the powerup bullets as much. I thought it would hurt the pace of the LP at the time, but it seems to have had the opposite effect. I have all of my footage recorded already, but I’ll see if I can re-record parts of it to highlight bullet powerup usage.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:allears:

The machinegroom firing skulls was a nice touch.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Couldn't you grind for money for upgrades to make the game less difficult? I mean, it's your LP, do what you want, but if it's hard, buy upgrades.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

Couldn't you grind for money for upgrades to make the game less difficult? I mean, it's your LP, do what you want, but if it's hard, buy upgrades.

You can definitely buy (or even grind for) upgrades, and they help, but the game will still be very hard. You'll see why as we continue.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The main problem with grinding money for upgrades is that most of it comes from the chest at the end of the level, and after you clear a level for the first time, you get much less of it on subsequent playthroughs of that level.

That being said, I didn't really find that many bonus levels when I played the game myself and I assume some of them are the best sources of money , at least in later levels.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Junpei posted:

As others have mentioned, this game is very difficult even with grinding. That being said, later in the LP I end up doing some grinding off-screen so I can afford all the upgrades.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As slow moving as they may be that was quite the jump in the number of enemies in the mid-level fights. Sheer attrition, and it just gets worse?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Just to clarify the update schedule, since it's changed a few times:

Videos will go live every Saturday (I'll try to keep the time consistent to 10 am EST but I've had problems with that before). Once ChaosArgate, Roy and I have finished our backlog of recordings, the upload schedule will double to Saturdays and Wednesdays.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's late enough, just pretend it's Saturday okay? :)

In this video, we meet the best villain in the game, and there's some stiff competition in that department.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
What an incredible game this was. I'm not ashamed to say it absolutely beat my rear end.

Now, as a strange person who saves things that give me a healthy chuckle, I saved a screenshot of...someone, I apologize that I don't know who, who got one of the best avatar/title combos on these here forums shortly after the game came out:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

CapitanGarlic posted:

What an incredible game this was. I'm not ashamed to say it absolutely beat my rear end.

Now, as a strange person who saves things that give me a healthy chuckle, I saved a screenshot of...someone, I apologize that I don't know who, who got one of the best avatar/title combos on these here forums shortly after the game came out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=47170 They still have it, in fact.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

CapitanGarlic posted:

Is that Henry with his thumbs in Weasleby's eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Henry's just helping him fix both his monocles.