Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Time to find some secrets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Well there you go! Thanks much, I prefer to give credit where it's due.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's an incredibly lengthy level for a secret.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

That's an incredibly lengthy level for a secret.

Yeah I know. As I said in the video, most of them are on the short side, but make for it with their difficulty. This feels like a level that was cut because it was too difficult and retooled into a secret level.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Bounce pads combined with the enemies that fire arcing shots. I love this game's brand of evil.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Bounce pads combined with the enemies that fire arcing shots. I love this game's brand of evil.

Seems like pretty good odds that if you have to jump over/on something there's going to be something on the other side to shoot something at you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm 80% sure the game does not run on a global cycle, and instead loads in items/enemies as they get near the screen boundary. I seem to recall screwing up the timing on the platforms you described as 'bullshit' and deliberately trying to despawn them.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 8, 2021

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Quackles posted:

I'm 80% sure the game does not run on a global cycle, and instead loads in items/enemies as they get near the screen boundary. I seem to recall screwing up the timing on the platforms you described as 'bullshit' and deliberately trying to despawn them.

Y’know that makes a lot more sense now that I think about it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also don’t worry, I made sure to credit you on that thing we worked on later in the LP :)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I like how you state enemies can't kill the cannons immediately after an enemy kills a cannon. (19:20 in the video)

And yeah, I vaguely remember doing despawn shenanigans to get better cycles for platforms where the jump is stupidly tight if you come in wrong, but also I played this game forever ago so I barely remember.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Nighthand posted:

I like how you state enemies can't kill the cannons immediately after an enemy kills a cannon. (19:20 in the video)

And yeah, I vaguely remember doing despawn shenanigans to get better cycles for platforms where the jump is stupidly tight if you come in wrong, but also I played this game forever ago so I barely remember.

It won’t be the last time I’m blatantly wrong in this LP. I may have stolen Pat’s Crazy Talk stand.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time for the Lance Banson fight, generally considered the best boss fight in the game. I don't want to spoil anything, but...you'll see why.

(Extra-special thanks to Quackles for helping me out with something later in this video.)

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 13, 2021

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That...

That was quite something, yes. This game continues to deliver with a wonderful sense of whimsy and joy, doesn't it?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That opera section was something else alright :five:.

Although I don't think fortato is a musical term, there's forte for strong. Other possible nearby terms are forzato/sforzato for forced and you noticed portato.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 13, 2021

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Omobono posted:

That opera section was something else alright :5:.

Although I don't think fortato is a musical term, there's forte for strong. Other possible nearby terms are forzato/sforzato for forced and you noticed portato.

You’re right - fortato, mizzando and ricordino are all Italian words that are not music theory terms. I guess Gene Rozenberg had to put in some filler words. As I said in the video, there are no official lyrics for this song, so Quackles and I did our best to decipher what we could.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://twitter.com/HenryHatsworth/status/2195624687

I had Banson's Aria on my MP3 player for years.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The only thing that could have made it better is if Henry had counter-sung

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: The reason the musical notes make animal sounds is that matching them is what triggers Lance to be crushed by his fangirls.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Could this be, in fact, the best parody of Fabio in all of fiction?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:allears:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
If it wasn't for the fact that the Man Your Man Could Smell Like commercial ran a year after this, I'd almost think that Lance's spontaneous pony generation was a direct reference to that. I guess that people just suddenly appearing on horses is a universal constant.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blastinus posted:

I guess that people just suddenly appearing on horses is a universal constant.

All that singing while a tiny gremlin Englishman comes at you with a machete and you'd get a little hoarse on occasion too.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaezerus posted:

All that singing while a tiny gremlin Englishman comes at you with a machete and you'd get a little hoarse on occasion too.
:haw:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'll give the fight the highest compliment I can think of and put it up there with the final level to Hitman Blood Money for musical accompaniment.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
That song is too drat catchy

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

That song is too drat catchy

If we're judging just by catchiness, I honestly think World 3's boss theme is a bigger earworm, though Lance's theme is a much better song.

Oh god, I'd completely forgotten that EA Tiburon set up an in-character Twitter account for Hatsworth. It's probably best not to go digging in there just as yet, as there are some spoilers, but I'll be sure to compile some tweets for the post-game discussion.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Clearly the reason the Gentleman's Pipe lets you breathe underwater is because it's one of those bubble pipes.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
That hidden level with the crushers gave me so much trouble back when I played it, that I saved it for almost last. Of course it's got an upgrade that you want as soon as possible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Gentleman's Wallet might be Bucknard's Everfull Purse, a D&D magic item that duplicated coins placed in it. :v:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:staredog: That was an easier secret level? Oh, this is going to get mind-boggling before the end, I see.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I somehow made it through this entire game back when it came out, except I missed almost all the secret levels. Which makes some of the later worlds... interesting.

And then I spent hours and hours dying on the final boss until I gave up. Looking forward to seeing it all again, I have vague memories of how bullshit it eventually gets.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Frozenzen posted:

I somehow made it through this entire game back when it came out, except I missed almost all the secret levels. Which makes some of the later worlds... interesting.

And then I spent hours and hours dying on the final boss until I gave up. Looking forward to seeing it all again, I have vague memories of how bullshit it eventually gets.

Oh my god, I cannot even imagine how infuriating the final boss must have been without all the upgrades.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Starting with this update, my microphone is going to sound a little crappy. I had to move my home office to a new room with terrible windows, and I won't be getting replacement windows until April at the earliest. It sucks, but what can I do, right?

Anyway, it's time to start World 3, as Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure's continues its ceaseless quest to kick the player's rear end in every single level.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh my god, those starfish enemies are so cute! They have little hats!

Also you got a new block out of the gates but you never explained it and it didn't seem to have any special mechanics, so I guess it's just different if it pops to the top screen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The keyhole block can't be moved. That's it.

Also, the Boomerang's special has a unique property: it can destroy those sea mines you were jumping around!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's some pretty brutal timing on those boulder jumps.

Those eye pillars don't seem like a great design. Not difficult but especially slow if you don't have the right weapon.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In today's episode, Henry takes a trip to hell and Weasleby has a perfectly normal conversation with a senior citizen.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Today's a double update as we finish World 3 and fight the Captain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I felt decidedly uncomfortable watching that boss fight. We basically watched while a senile old man was beaten into a pulp by his own nurse.