Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Finally, I can talk about the two plot expansions that didn't meet their stretch goals in the Kickstarter and thus weren't part of the game. Obviously, I only know the summaries that were provided as previews, since they never got fully plotted. However, one of them was to give Nega-Shantae more than a single cutscene of screen time and have her split from Shantae to become another boss fight/level, which could potentially have led to a DLC mode where you'd play as her, although that probably wouldn't have happened. The other was something about Risky building her own mech, and I think you'd have played as her for that sequence. A callback to the very first game, perhaps. I think the Nega-Shantae arc would have made the game feel a bit more substantial. Not sure about the Risky mech, but I'm sure they would have done something interesting with it had they reached the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks both for the info. Very interesting!

But wait, is she actually called Nega-Shantae? I just... pulled that out of my rear end. Okay! Haha.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's canon. From the campaign:

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It's canon. From the campaign:

That's rad.

We're right at the end of the game!

The finale will premiere on YouTube tomorrow! Check that out here: https://youtu.be/qXCRg_sTzUc

Just A Friend fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 12, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe the term you were looking for is multi-stage final boss.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

That's it for the main game! Thank you so much for joining us on this LP! Look forward to the Pirate Queen DLC videos and whatever's next!!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wouldn't be opposed to you playing Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse and/or Seven Sirens. I know I've spoiled some major plot elements from the first two and something that was implied in the third, but these games are still worth playing from gameplay and charm.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to you playing Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse and/or Seven Sirens. I know I've spoiled some major plot elements from the first two and something that was implied in the third, but these games are still worth playing from gameplay and charm.

Seven Sirens might be a possibility in the (not very near) future. The rest of em probably not. There’s only so many games one can do!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While definitely a kickstarter budget game backtracking and level re-use is pretty endemic of video games in general, much less the genre. Shantae is a series that always seems to pass me by so it was nice to see the result of the one I heard of thanks to everyone kickstarting everything.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

I wanted to show off this DLC as I quite liked it! I mean, we play as the villain!!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
In fact the way it is played is very similar to Pirate's Curse gameplay, which several players said was the best of the series; the problem is that was also the furthest from the traditional concept of the transformation dances.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

We tackle levels 3 and 4 in this one and get some more cool abilities.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think this DLC implies that Shantae just beats these guys up and leaves when she shows up and they're committing a villainy. No "you're going to jail!", and she doesn't even confiscate any stolen/illegal/villainy-integral stuff they have. She just gets bored and walks away once they're lying in a twitching heap on the ground.

Or it could just be a technically non-canon just for fun DLC pack re-using the assets from the main game. But where's the fun in that?

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I think this DLC implies that Shantae just beats these guys up and leaves when she shows up and they're committing a villainy. No "you're going to jail!", and she doesn't even confiscate any stolen/illegal/villainy-integral stuff they have. She just gets bored and walks away once they're lying in a twitching heap on the ground.

Or it could just be a technically non-canon just for fun DLC pack re-using the assets from the main game. But where's the fun in that?

Yup that's the way I look at it too. :D

We finish up the DLC, and with that, the LP! A short bonus video for concept art non-withstanding.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm usually pretty forgiving of level re-use for DLC (and I still am here) but the excuse for reusing Risky's own crew as enemies in the first level is pretty silly :v:

Edit: And this last level too!

Double Edit: I'll just assume this is some tall tale being told to pump herself up in some pirate bar somewhere.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 27, 2021

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

A last little video showing off the Art Gallery in the game. See you soon for the next series!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
This was a fun LP of a neat looking game! Thanks!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

I'll just assume this is some tall tale being told to pump herself up in some pirate bar somewhere.

That is in fact the implication since this DLC was basically confirmed non-canon apart from possibly the post credits scene since her statement that “Next time I will show no mercy” at the end is supposed to be her admitting Shantae is canonically fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Just A Friend posted:

WIIIIIILLLL-BURRRRR!!!
I'm playing this game for the first time, and am currently frustrated as hell with the sandworm tunnel ascent. And watching the video, I've only managed to get about halfway up? Goddammit! :argh:

I picked up some of the other Shantae games as well after the Game Boy thread in Games pointed me at the original (and the very imminent closure of the 3DS eShop provided encouragement), and there's a definite 'thing' in the series of the gimmick sections going on just that little bit too long and wearing out their welcome. The sandstorm level in 1/2GH and 'Run Run Rottytops' in Pirate's Curse spring to mind as well as this bit. That aside, I'm really enjoying them! The goofy humour is on my wavelength, and I'm amused that Christina Vee uses the same voice for Shantae as the heroine of Miraculous Ladybug.

Edit: I'm still stuck on that loving tunnel climb! Shantae's monkey form loooooves to stick to walls when I want it to just drop down, giving the worm time to catch up. I haven't been this "gently caress you, game" in a long time. :argh: It's pissing me off because otherwise I've been enjoying it.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 31, 2023