Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I read about the original Game boy game decade and a half ago but didn't play until Pirate's Curse and then played Risky's Revenge followed by HGH, still haven't played Seven Sirens though I have it and have seen a play through of it.

Also the kid's remark was cause his mom doesn't want him looking at the genie girl in harem dancer attire.

And yeah, Shantae is really good at letting players jump on at any game without issue as it gets them up to speed on what's happened so far.

Steven Universe isn't post apocalypse as it is a world that narrowly avoided an apocalypse, Monster Hunter can be considered post apocalypse though.

Additionally, Tinkerbats in Pirate's Curse were shown to have a more bat-like form called Cacklebats

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While Risky isn't a Genie, at least not to anyone's knowledge, she does possess magic albeit dark magic presumably hence her pale skintone and ability to control the Tinkerbats.

In Pirate's Curse, it's explained that she and the Tinkerbats originally served the Pirate Master: A creature that was frighteningly powerful to the point it took the combined power of all the Genies in Sequin Land to seal him away from the world in a lonely grave on an isolated island at which point his first mate, Risky Boots, inherited his Tinkerbats and Pirate Gear as well as taking his face and turning it into her bustier and belt to add further insult to injury.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 10, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't know if you plan to LP Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse and/or Seven Sirens so I'm trying to be careful about what say regarding them hence the spoiler tags.

What I can say is that in Seven Sirens, the Guardian Genies are implied to each have a specific magic specialty that is normally exclusive to them and their respective offspring meaning that Shantae's shape shifting power was inherited from her mother.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Shantae's hair isn't actually tied to her magic as she was able to whip her hair even without magic which is good considering a major plot point in Pirate's Curse:

azren posted:

So in Pirate's Curse, (this is going off of memory) The action was kicked off because they mayor sold the town to a pirate because he's a greedy fuckwit. Said pirate was trying to turn the town into a huge weaponized fortress. Shantae, despite having had her genie powers stolen, still managed to win the town back, and worked with Risky fight against the aforementioned Pirate Master, getting her powers back at the end to finish the job.
You're more or less right though Ammo Baron is treated as a military leader rather than a pirate like Risky, he is part of a group who are collectively described as "thieving bandits who pass themselves off as artifact collectors" by a character we'll meet later though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact: Tuki is one of four monsters designed by fan backers and the only non-aggressive one of those four despite her fellow Naga replacing the Mermaids as the primary enemy of Mermaid Falls once the chapter is complete.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Psycho Knight posted:

Really? That was Pirate's Curse?

Then again, I suppose we are missing some characters that are in that scene. I guess I'm remembering the setting and artwork rather than in-game graphics.

It was as a matter of fact as the incident in question involved Shantae, Risky, Sky and Rottytops getting mistaken for the princess of a desert tribe whom none of them look like.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Anyways its kind of crazy that there's barely any limit on the bat form. I guess you're stuck on the same level you transformed on?

Correct, Bat form's directional movement is restricted to left - right and you have no control over her flying height so you need to on the same level as wherever your destination is.

She's like Crab in that her utility will become more limited as forms are unlocked though neither will become completely useless thanks to niche partitioning that occurs as forms are unlocked as well.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Remember when I said certain forms were gonna undergo niche partitioning as the game went on? Crab vs Mermaid is one of two major examples as Jaffy explained in video itself, the other example of form niche partitioning involving the Bat.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah spider, my favorite transformation and the only one to be redesigned as it looked like this in the original Gameboy Color game:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Funny thing, but Half Genie Hero is actually a bit of an outlier in regard to how it's structured as Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse and Seven Sirens are structurally closer to the original Game Boy game as they are more exploratory platformers with the main difference being how towns are traversed.

This is also the only game in the series I have not played beside Seven Sirens since later games are comparatively more polished.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Just A Friend posted:

Ohh, didn't know Half Genie Hero was such an outlier. I played Seven Sirens Part 1 and now that you mention it, I can recall the different structure.

Yeah the Game Boy game, Risky's Revenge and Seven Sirens are basically metroidvanias with dungeons scattered across a sizable map. Pirate's Curse was the closest to Half Genie Hero in that you select islands to travel to though each island has a dungeon and the island Scuttle Town itself is on also has a forest and a palace you travel to on foot.

The first game is the only one where towns are navigated like a level select though, every other game treats the towns as basically platforming areas.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun Fact: SlimeGal, Bonelegs and Ikki are the other three monsters that were designed by fan backers on Kickstarter alongside the aforementioned Tuki.

Ikki specifically is an homage to Nintendo Swapnote's Mii mascot Nikki and more specifically her "death" when the 3DS message service, Swapnote, was shut down in November 2013 due to abuse of the system at the time.

Shantae did have Tiger and Naga forms planned but those were scrapped.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
An yes, Nega-Shantae AKA the reason Shantae was full human for most of Pirate's Curse.

You see Risky's Revenge ends with Risky using a magic lamp to enslave Shantae. However since Shantae is a half-genie, the lamp only captures her genie half leaving Shantae pure human. Risky commands Shantae's other half, trapped inside the lamp, to destroy Shantae; resulting in the birth of the evil clone Nega-Shantae which our heroine ultimately has to destroy, scattering Nega's Dark Magic which is what turned the Tinkerbats into Cacklebats and leads to the Pirate Master's awakening.

Using the lamp that created Nega, Shantae absorbs the Dark Magic released by the Cacklebats upon defeat. During the final battle with the Pirate Master, he eventually demands that Shantae give him the dark magic she had taken from the Cacklebats in exchange for Risky's life which Shantae reluctantly does. When she releases the collected magic however, it is revealed to have turned into light magic which he did not expect would happen and Shantae absorbs the light magic into herself instead, regaining her genie powers as part of the game's true/good ending.

It's also worth noting that Pirate Queen's Quest, the DLC you play as Risky, is non-canon due to its events, and specifically its ending, not lining up with the main game as its Risky's own biased account of the game's events.

And Squid Baron's statement about the majority of bosses being able to recover from explosive defeat actually explains an ending screen you get in Seven Sirens.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 12, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe the term you were looking for is multi-stage final boss.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wouldn't be opposed to you playing Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse and/or Seven Sirens. I know I've spoiled some major plot elements from the first two and something that was implied in the third, but these games are still worth playing from gameplay and charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

I'll just assume this is some tall tale being told to pump herself up in some pirate bar somewhere.

That is in fact the implication since this DLC was basically confirmed non-canon apart from possibly the post credits scene since her statement that “Next time I will show no mercy” at the end is supposed to be her admitting Shantae is canonically fine.