Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I grabbed Risky's Revenge from the PS Store shortly after it was listed there because I was in the mood for a platformer and since then I've been picking up every one of these games that comes out. They're great.

This one is my favourite of the series, personally. Seven Sirens was all right and it did make some small tweaks that I liked, but overall it didn't reach the same level as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

This level has always been one of the more potentially horrifying things in this normally goofy game series. Like, a ton of mermaids must have been sold as food for him to have a "demand is high, supplies are low" situation. There's also no way that Shantae stopped a production facility designed to turn girls into faux mermaids faster than they could be sold. At least some of those missing girls were eaten by monsters. I don't recall there being any handwave about it either.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Just A Friend posted:

Is this game actually horrible? Oh god I don't wanna think about it...

Remember kids, when you are writing a script that you want to be lighthearted or goofy, make sure to handwave any implications of death or other horrible things. Because when you don't address it, it immediately becomes horrifying since the audience is left to fill in the blanks themselves.

Kikas posted:

The only thing the new dance made me think of was:

It makes me think of Crab Rave on Beat Saber, because that song is always the bane of my Beat Saber sessions. I can only barely pass it on Hard, but I still love it.

I think this is the moment where everything gets somehow even more fanservice-y in a little bit. The desert setting is familiar, although I can't remember if it happens now or later.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 21, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Nidoking posted:

Earlier. Much earlier. An entire game's worth of earlier.

Really? That was Pirate's Curse?

Then again, I suppose we are missing some characters that are in that scene. I guess I'm remembering the setting and artwork rather than in-game graphics.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Chimera-gui posted:

It was as a matter of fact as the incident in question involved Shantae, Risky, Sky and Rottytops getting mistaken for the princess of a desert tribe whom none of them look like.

I know the scene, I just thought it was in this game. But yeah, I should have realized that I had the wrong game based on the fact that those other characters aren't around at the moment (well, except for Sky).

Loxbourne posted:

I love how we're all quietly skipping over the way the Mermaid Factory itself is one giant raving fetish palace all its own.

This game doesn't even try to be subtle.

To be fair, this whole franchise is that. Me, Chimera-gui, and Nidoking are talking about a level in a different game that is also a raving fetish palace, which takes place in an actual palace.

That said, it does seem like the series has been leaning more and more heavily on it as time has gone by.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

AtomikKrab posted:

Actually comfortable ones, they are just skeletons as well, ones with extra memory bits attached so they look like people.

This is the spoopy ghost/worm level.

Yeah, there's no uncomfortable implications there. You can tell they aren't living/thinking things, because that one dude around 1:20 just gleefully ran past Shantae and jumped down the hole where the giant nightmare worm was coming from. Seeing them get destroyed isn't anything to be horrified about.

Plus, you know, they aren't cute like the mermaids were. So gently caress 'em. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

6:02 - More games should teach you to live with disappointment. It's a valuable lesson.

Also, I admit to not remembering this boss fight at all, which is weird because the setup and everything is pretty cool.