Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Halo, halo, halo - what's all this then?

In truth, I never played this beyond the first game since it was Xbox exclusive afterwards. I just remember being blown away by the size of the maps and the A.I.

Edit: I'm sure they changed the last cutscene. Didn't MC reply to the marine who says if they're gonna make it originally?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I will say this - the designs of the vehicles in this game were en pointe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ablative posted:

He doesn't actually use entirely vanilla Marine AI.

See, vanilla Marine AI has a "taunt enemy" action.

Where they shoot a corpse. Repeatedly.

Yeah, they got rid of that pretty quick.

Eeeeeeeeeshh

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, a station built around a single gun, yeah that's cool.

But, uh... Shouldn't it be moving from side-to-side in order to hit targets? The Covenant ships aren't staying still.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The best case for sci-fi fascism being the quasi-standard in video games is that it makes it easier to just focus on the shooting and not have to worry about anything too complicated.

Hence the whole thing with that fake sci-fi trilogy being written by Adolf Hitler.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

09 - Quarantine Zone

The Arbiter continues towards the Library and the Sacred Icon, hoping to get there before the Humans do.

I do like how Miranda basically skipped the whole process of getting the library key by just... Y'know... Leaning over a bit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I am glad you guys are having fun with the game, and I am enjoying the LP, I just... I can really see that FPS's really have evolved beyond Halo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That flipping 'to war' line is like something from that Punisher 2099 comic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can just imagine the Brutes coming along later and seeing all these soldiers crushed under their own vehicles and being so confused.

Then again, these same Brutes do use Choppers to drive around in, potentially the stupidest looking method of transportation I've ever seen.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ablative posted:

That might be because they originated as farming equipment. Sorta. It's complicated.

And I thought the Leman Russ originally being a tractor was silly...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Did they make the Ghosts stop having secondary explosions in this third game?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Yo Spartan jump over that big rear end ramp!

It's HIT that big rear end ramp!

I miss Chip and Grant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Is that from Blood on the Sand?

Ayuh, that it was.

I'll tell you, every time you pass up a Brute shot in this level, I feel sad.

But at the start of the level, the pilot says there's 'active triple-A'. Anti-aircraft... activity? Did they just pull a 'PIN number' situation?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Man, I watched an LP of DNF years ago and I couldn't tell you a single thing about that game. Just completely forgettable.

The fact the Games thread on it was totally removed was a crime.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I remember one time playing two-player with a friend during that driving session (at that section there are two Warthogs available when it's not single-player) - at the very last jump my hog flipped over and I fell out... And managed to jump into the gunner seat of the other hog. It was stupidly over-the-top.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's not his fault, obviously, but having what's -his-face being the face and voice model of the leader of the ODST team is very, very dated.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Also, new Garfield isn't good or weird, you're thinking of Heathcliffe.

Trap sprung, etc. etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As of the end of the first episode, it looks like it's doing its own thing. Yes, there's still the Covenant and rebelling human worlds, and the Spartan program and all that, but it's not just a remake of the first game.

And that's what seems to be driving certain segments of the online world insane.

Thank God that they're doing their own thing and not slavishly adapting the source.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm more curious as to why a police department has a friggin' troop transport jet typically used for military applications.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

In regards to what kind of ideas you can do in Halo a Youtube channel I watch had a recent video comparing Mass Effect to Warhammer/40K. Both are fictions with a ton of ~lore~, alien races, factions within factions within factions, crazy historical events from entire worlds with their own history, cultural clashes, just so much to draw on for almost anything you want to do with it. Yet Mass Effect only had 4 mainline games, 1 of which is resetting things to 0 in a new location anyways, and a smattering of other media (books, animation) because EA keeps it under lock and key whereas Warhammer and 40K probably have something for you no matter what kind of genre of video game, movie, or book you're looking for because (at least more recently) Games Workshop have just been giving it out to anybody who can demonstrate they can make something. There's something to be said about trying to make sure everything you make for A Thing is always of consistent quality but that can also make everything into a sort of grey mush of similarities. Sure there's a ton of poo poo Warhammer games now but you probably only remember the good ones anyways unless its a spectacular failure. You could apply the exact same comparison to Halo where there's always hints of big things going on over there just off screen but the game is about a space soldier shooting space aliens with space guns so it always has to be just that. Halo Reach was praised just for having the "audacity" of putting a space soldier into an inevitable lost battle.

It also helps that in 40K, the setting is so massive that there can be loads of major cataclysmic situations that need no major continuities between games.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Remalle posted:

Oh hey that's from Cursed Halo

You mean the show? I heard about the first episode, then almost nothing. I guess that means it wasn't good?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hope the finger gets better soon. Also, as much as I like the running over in this game, you can't beat Dune II for RTS-running-over sadism.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Please explain

Blah, I can't find a video - but in the old RTS Dune II you could move treaded vehicles over infantry units, there would be a death-scream sound effect that was cut off with a CRUNCH, then when you moved off the area, there was a red smear. It was very visceral.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Argh, they undermined the naming-convention of the ground vehicles in this game! I'm so upset! I'm not upset

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Which one do you think breaks the naming convention?

A Grizzly isn't a native African animal.

Note I said land vehicles.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah that is definitely a 15 year old video, but it's pretty catchy.

It reminds me that there used to be a Machinima video from Halo 3 where they cut a bunch of dialogue together to make them say stupid poo poo, but the only thing I remember from it is Cortana saying "yank me" in a stupid context and Sgt. Johnson talking about "man rear end". But it looks like the video got purged with everything else Machinima, and none of Swordfishh, Cletus, or I were able to magic it out of the internet. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Also, still no ETA on Halo: Reach. I've been having a hard time getting the motivation to work on it, and instead working on a different project. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

Sorry, the only Machima video I remember is Deus Ex.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, it was pointed out by someone else on YTube but... that opening scene with the jeep assault is... kinda silly looking? Why are they driving in such an incredibly tight formation?

Also, I liked the bridge-dropping Pelican clipping through the Covenant dropship, resulting in the missile-launcher AI not knowing what to do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, the whole idea of what a vacuum is appears to be very nebulous in this game, nevermind Covenant atmospheric vessels being able to fly up there as well.

How the hell were you able to fire off a shotgun on the outer hull of the Corvette? What was the field at the top of the Corvette doing? It wasn't maintaining an artificial gravity field. It certainly wasn't maintaining an atmosphere either... Oh, nevermind.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Someone pointed out that Kat getting taken out by a single bullet was a bit... anti-lore. I'm inclined to agree. It seems especially egregious since in the scene running up to it, Kat was the last to put on the helmet. I somehow feel it would have been more fitting if they were taken out because they were too slow in putting their helmet back on.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

At the risk of sounding like 'Boy, I hope someone got fired for THAT blunder'... wasn't Cortana able to be moved around in a piece of hardware that could be slotted into a SPARTAN helmet in the first game, not some giant, clunky hand-held thingy-ma-bob?

Also, I can only surmise that Emile must have magnetic buttcheeks on his armour what with him being able to sit on the ramp - with his legs OUTSIDE, mind you - of an accelerating plane and not getting thrown off.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Then Halo 4 came out, and we found out that wanting those sequel hooks followed up on was better than having them.

Boy, is that an evergreen statement for so many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, all these people talking about how the series writing takes a swan dive off a cliff and the ending story and stuff, and then there's me sitting over here still laughing at the absolute deadeye marine you handed the spartan laser off to.

Well, it's a metaphor for the series writing from... Oh gosh Halo 3 onwards, I guess.