Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I played a lot of CA and 2 in co-op with my brother back in the day, but then never really got much of a chance to play any of the later games - until the MCC came to Steam I only got to play 3, ODST, Reach and Anniversary in co-op one time each, and of the four I only played more than two levels of ODST.

I had some very vague, early plans to LP the series (at least up to Reach) myself, but never got around to doing anything with that idea, so definitely count me in for any multiplayer stuff.

Also, on that note, I feel the need to note that the Security helmet is the best helmet. I don't care if I never played Marathon until like 2018, I need the Marathon callback helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

- it's very easy to get lost, the game imo has massive issues with player guidance

I never had much trouble navigating as a kid, but on replaying the first level with the Master Chief Collection a couple months back, I somehow got stuck in the hallways immediately before the escape pod at the end of the level for like fifteen minutes because they all look the same and there's no indication where the still-docked pod even is.

White Coke posted:

Is it because the Elites are bigger than the Spartans so the shield has to be stretched over a larger frame?

To my knowledge it's related to the reason you can't reload Covenant energy weapons in the field, is all I'll say for now.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I really like this level, but I also feel like it's one that perfectly demonstrates some of the early weirdness of this game compared to the later ones. Next to you and the Marines getting dropped off onto the beach and going to town on the entrenched enemy, the one area that always stands out in my mind whenever I think about this level is the part where you fight your first Hunters and they're set up as the number-one threat in the Covenant arsenal - and then they go down in one pistol bullet to the meaty bits (because they had to program shooting the Hunters' weak points the same as hitting the head for any other enemy), after which you pick up the shield-overcharge powerups that were clearly meant for the multiplayer. Hunters only ever even lasted more than two seconds when I played co-op with my brother back in the day because he would sometimes insist on fighting them in melee, and even that didn't level the field in their favor very much.

Unrelated, one thing I always liked about the first game is how when you're playing in co-op, the second player gets the focus during scenes where you still have camera control like the start of this level. It's most notable in this one because you get dropped off in separate Pelicans, player one in the lead one and player two in the trailing one.

Also, subtitles like these (that and LPing a lot of games that simply don't have them) are why I always just end up adding my own to my videos - that and it gives me opportunities to add in extra jokes with them.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The subtitle thing Youtube discontinued was where the community could submit subtitles in any language for a video and the original uploader of the video could quickly approve them.

This was nice and convenient and a cool way for viewers to help out content creators, which is why Youtube discontinued it.

Such a shame that Youtube had the perfect opportunity to learn a valuable lesson from when they got rid of annotations for a stupid reason and didn't offer a better replacement despite having the framework to do so - and in typical Youtube fashion, the lesson they learned was not against removing features that people liked in the first place, but only against giving a stupid reason for it.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

In the PC version of the game I think they added the Banshee into multiplayer, which they weren't in the original release.

PC version definitely had them in multiplayer. I played the demo pretty heavily for a period of about two weeks around 2004 or so, I distinctly remember playing a server that advertised itself as having a "no Shees" mod but did not actually have any sort of mod that removed Banshees, everyone just joined in a chorus of "NO SHEES" whenever you jumped into one.

Unrelated (unless it was the same server, I can't remember now) I also remember one game where there was a teammate who was AFK the entire round, so I eventually took to just teamkilling him whenever I found him. I think by the time the round ended I'd killed him more than any enemies had.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

One of the funniest things to me about the development is reading that people took its plot - what with it involving a US-inspired group of soldiers fighting a group of religious aliens after they'd launched a major attack on a human colony - as an allegory for 9/11 and the War on Terror, and the writers had to explain that it was just a coincidence considering the game came out only two months after the attacks, and the vast, vast majority of the writing and design happened well before then.