Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

whitehelm posted:

I never had any Xboxes so my only Halo experience is Red vs Blue.

Same. I had a Play Station 2 and Game Cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is there ever any description or depiction of what Spartans look like physically? Are they just big humans or are they deformed or otherwise distinct?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What is it about Halo: Reach that doesn't fit with the others? Is this an issue of lore or gameplay?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

hectorgrey posted:

The fact you can only carry two weapons (compared with the dozen or so common in PC shooters at the time) was so that you could use a single button to switch weapons instead of having to cycle through them.

Why didn't they use the D-pad to squeeze in a few more guns? And who invented the weapon wheel?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

hectorgrey posted:

To answer the second question, I have no idea. That said, I understand Ratchet and Clank (released in 2002) used an early version of the weapon wheel, but I've never played it so I couldn't tell you.

I remember something like that. It only had a few favorited weapons instead of the whole arsenal.

hectorgrey posted:

Entirely fair. I'm fine with it in games that want to appeal to authenticity like Call of Duty or Battlefield, and I like it in Halo, but sometimes you just want to have a huge arsenal of weapons that there's no way you could physically carry and just not worry about it.

What even is the point of creating super soldiers if they can't carry more guns than a regular soldier?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How unevenly matched are the two sides? The Covenant seem to have superior technology and greater numbers.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

The humans are hopelessly outgunned and outmanned. MC and friends are basically fighting a guerilla war at this point.

That said covenant tech isn't strictly superior. In general covenant weapons are stronger against shields, but human weapons rip through unshielded flesh. For example the pistols and their one two punch to take out elites.(charge plasma shot will drop shields instantly but isnt great after that, and the pistol one shots them with a headshot but has trouble getting through the shield. By their powers combined even the toughest elite variants go down to a measly two bullets.)

Is Humanity better at technological advancement? Humans doing better at improving technology, or just more creative and unpredictable, than a more advanced enemy is a common trope.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

There is also some stuff about humanity being good at adaptation. For example the Master Chief's shields only exist because they copied the Elites technology, and his are better. The reason for it isn't exactly "humans are special" though, but I don't want to get into it because we don't know enough yet.

Is it because the Elites are bigger than the Spartans so the shield has to be stretched over a larger frame?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kadorhal posted:

To my knowledge it's related to the reason you can't reload Covenant energy weapons in the field, is all I'll say for now.

They never invented changeable batteries.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If nothing else, a technologically inferior enemy has the advantage of being able to reverse engineer their enemies' superior technology to close the gap.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do you only carry one type of grenade at a time?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The reason you can't shoot out of the Pelican is because Long Tall Sally isn't playing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

We keep saying this, but there is an actual canon explanation for this. Whether it's a "good" explanation or not is a little more up in the air. What I will say is that it's tied to the reason that 343 Guilty Spark keeps calling us "Reclaimer".

Are humans the descendants of the "aliens" who made the Halo?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
When do we learn why the Covenant can’t reload their guns?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I feel like half of my life is a lie. I have thought for 17 years that the Scarab had a big needler, but I guess thinking about it, the way it impacts the Pelican doesn't make any sense for a giant flying crystal.

It’s always fun revisiting your childhood.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Does any of the expanded universe material expand upon Covenant theology? I’m curious about their soteriology and cosmology.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So is it ever explained what the Covenant thinks happens to those who die before the Great Journey? I assume some kind of Purgatory/Sheol or reincarnation . And do they think some other God created the universe, or are they materialists who think the Forerunners figured out immortality?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cythereal posted:

The Elites in general feel extremely feudal Japan to me, space samurai, so the idea of the Arbiter as being a 'find redemption in a heroic death' position feels natural to me. It's honorable suicide.

Can’t wait to see the Grunt Toyotomi Hideyoshi show up.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do the Brutes wearing the armor of the prophet’s guards have shields?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I'll be posting another short series instead as kind of an intermission from Halo.

Marathon?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I know its mostly a space war and planets just end up getting blown up but with tanks like they have you have to wonder how the humans lost any battle at all.

Since the tanks are the most Brigador-esque thing in the series it’s no wonder they’re so effective.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What gets changed based on the difficulty levels? Are there just more/less enemies with more/less health and damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's the classic action-platformer puzzle of avoid the eye, but in an RTS setting. You can see how you could try and advance troops by hiding them behind cover, but it'd take a whole lot of work fighting the controls and AI to do it.

And by massing so many troops I don’t think casualties could have been avoided anyway. Were all your warthogs even able to attack before you started losing them?