Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does such a thing exist? If there's one thing I hate more than anything it's printer/scanner drivers, and their terrible slow clunky software

These things exist:

• Portable scan-to-JPEG 300x300 dpi duplex scanner that writes to SD card
  • Non-portable scanner that will send scan data to proprietary software which will convert the scan data to a PDF

What I want is an appliance that will take a document, scan it, and then convert it to a PDF, and write that file to an SD card, which I can then plug in to nearly any device on the planet when it gets full

Bonus points if it is duplex (scans both sides at once)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
With an SD card slot? I haven't seen any. With a USB slot, there are plenty, or at least there used to be not that long ago. A lot of them are workgroup products for offices though so :10bux: .

Actually I'm pretty sure the copy machines in my office do but I'm pretty much sure they cost as much as a car and will scan to pretty much anything including a network drive mount, because that is how we send check and expense reports to A/P.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 9, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Don't SD card to USB adapters just mount it as a mass storage device? Couldn't you just do this that way?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Just bought a new printer for my home office, MFC-L3750, the thing is a 50 pound beast but I can confirm it will scan a PDF direct to USB without a network connection. No dual side scanning ADF, not a feature that I needed, although it will do it from the scanner bed. Apparently the MFC-L3570 does single pass ADF, looks like that is the only difference, but it is sold out everywhere, soonest ship times look to be March from reputable sites at reasonable prices.

So yes, this is a feature that does still exist, at least with an SD card adaptor, at least on low-end business printers. That cost $400, weigh 50 pounds and are 20x16x16" large.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 27, 2021