Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Victorian posted:

The reason I want this to exist is because I’ve been chasing the high of a dream I had in middle school where I turned into a bird and flew, and it was mindblowingly realistic, like being able to feel the air currents on individual feathers, the sensation of vertigo and weightlessness, everything. I was in a euphoric mood for like a week after. Haven’t had a flight dream since that’s even come close, even lucid ones.

you are a bird Queen Victorian, the dream has been your human life. its time to wake up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Rutibex posted:

you are a bird Queen Victorian, the dream has been your human life. its time to wake up!

I tried this when I was like eight. It didn’t work. Was still a lousy human with no magical powers, no wings, no anything when I woke up. Wasn’t even transported to my imaginary mystical realm full of rainbows and waterfalls and magical flying kittens.

ExecuDork posted:

Not necessarily the hyper realistic, elaborate hardware VR version, but I pretty much constantly think about Bird: The Flight Sim. For now, keep your idea as the upgrade, VR version of my conventional mouse/keyboard/screen idea.
Each bird species - there are about 10 000 on earth - gets two missions, plus the open-world do-anything sandbox mode. Each species has an easy mission, and a hard mission. Users can make their own missions and put them on the server, sure why not.

I’d also play the absolute poo poo out of Bird Sim (my bird flight sim concept doesn’t have a plot or really any gameplay loops at all other than “gently caress yeah I’m flying!”).

I think nest-building would be fun. As a songbird you could go around a suburban environment, find an appropriate location for a nest, stake your claim, and then go gather materials. You’d have to explore everyone’s backyards and stuff to find a variety, and different materials would have different qualities and ratings. I saw an internet video were a little bird snuck up on a dog sleeping on a porch and started ripping out tufts of fluff from its haunches - you could have side quests like that for special/high value materials. The more and better material you can get, the more eggs you can lay and the more likely it is that all of them will hatch.

And a riff on the bird sim theme and Untitled Goose Game: it’d be like Goose Game except you’re a scruffy average pigeon and your main objective is to take over the city. And make everyone’s life hell while doing so. You can’t do much as one pigeon other than poo poo on people and steal food from children, so you recruit more pigeons to your flock-army so you can do more and more disruptive things. But now your horde is a target for peregrine falcons so you need to befriend the crow bosses so you can obtain protection from the crow mafia. After a while humans start hiding inside and in the subways due to the unrelenting scheisseblitz, so you’ve got to engage the sewer rats to flush them back out so you can continue making GBS threads on them. And then you can work out a truce and alliance with the alleycats for more gains. Ultimately, you take over by sabotaging human routines and systems and replacing them with pigeon-(and other animal)-friendly systems, like replace mail with carrier pigeons, food trucks that only serve animals, shut down the subway, etc. I suppose you could play as any of the main factions - would add replay value to play again as an alleycat or crow or whatever instead of a pigeon.

Then there could be DLC that adds the seagull faction and a mission to take over Pier 39 (gently caress Pier 39).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
A true three dimensional space racing game with badass racing space ships, super involved upgrade system, and single player campaign with story where you try to take the championship. Some races take place in true outer space or asteroid systems, but most above the surface of interesting planets. If you crash into something full speed you are dead. Upgrades don't just make numbers go up but change the game, for example you could get flaps to help you corner better but they also slow you down (although in space races they have no effect).

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I always thought a game where you wake up in a bizarro world and had to explore and find clues to learn the truth about what's going on.

Examples in other media would be the GI Joe episodes There's No Place Like Springfield 1 & 2, Unknown starring Liam Neeson, or the excellent, yet short-lived Nowhere Man series starring Bruce Greenwood.

If there is something that fits this bill, let me know and I'll have to grab some :filez:

If you think about it, pretty much every game technically fits this description since even if the character is supposed to have a backstory in the world, the player doesn't

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

zaepg posted:

Always wanted to play a game that uses Google Maps to create a playable world. Like being able to run around my neighborhood. I know Flight Simulator gets close by flying overhead, but a GTA style game would be rad!

Someone I know was actually working on some tech for this: https://www.mantle.tech/

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Queen Victorian posted:

Then there could be DLC that adds the seagull faction and a mission to take over Pier 39 (gently caress Pier 39).

The Something Awful Forms > Main > General Bullshit > Vido games that should exist: gently caress Pier 39