Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
- Give me a page number

Page 572

- Give me a number between 1 and 60

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Space Race Riot posted:

Page 222, sentence 13 if you please

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Page 222

Sentence 13

I guess identical requests was not explicitly against the rules.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
- Give me a page number

Thanks Pick!

E. Changed my page number a little so it doesn't risk being in the introduction or anything

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 11, 2021

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Page 81
Number 66

GrouchoClub
Jan 10, 2021

I love being cool.
Page 117

Sentence 40

please and thank you.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I guess identical requests was not explicitly against the rules.

:stare: that honestly wasn't intentional. Page 93 sentence 5

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In highschool a billion years ago we had some tenured coach that taught, among other things, Biology and a forensics class. He had a similar, albeit briefer, text that he’d whip out from time to time that was used for the latter class. The pictures were in color and horrifying. The effects of a 12 gauge on the human body are no bueno. I’ve read Roach’s Stiff book and I think that’s as far as I’m willing to go. This stuff is extremely interesting and I’d half consider getting that Tales book, but I don’t think what’s left of my withered soul could take it. Anyway I’ll have a number 4 with a diet lemonade and some Chick Fil A sauce please.

Page 3 sentence 19 if you’d be so kind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'll do more of these when I get home, thanks for your patience!

I strongly recommend the tales book, it's not only very compelling and easy to read with a conversational style, but there actually aren't any photos. So if you're a normal person who finds this kind of interesting but doesn't want to look at yucky photographs, it's a really good choice.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

just flip pages and point and post what comes up, thank you.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ooooh this is a fun thread!

Page number: 1097
Line number: 18

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'd like a page 137, line 13 thanks!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've read a pretty entertaining book on crime scene cleanup when I was in college, I think it was titled Mop Men. Really gruesome.

Also page 444 is clearly the Asphyxiation, Blockages and Choking chapter.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I Iike to read it as kitten caboodle

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A book I’d probably own if they produced it without pictures. I had a book called What A Way To Go! when I was a kid, that was basically just a compendium of bizarre deaths featuring all the classics (including that pissing on the third rail one) but no extreme details. I enjoyed Working Stiff by Judy Melinek, a working ME in New York, which contained a lot of stories like the ones being related in here.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
page 222, line 22 please!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Torquemada posted:

A book I’d probably own if they produced it without pictures. I had a book called What A Way To Go! when I was a kid, that was basically just a compendium of bizarre deaths featuring all the classics (including that pissing on the third rail one) but no extreme details. I enjoyed Working Stiff by Judy Melinek, a working ME in New York, which contained a lot of stories like the ones being related in here.

This (and the thread in general) weirdly reminded me this morning of a booklet I found in my brother’s room called the ‘FHM Book of Gore’ that was full of horrific photos and stories like the ones mentioned already. The ones that stand out in my memory are of a man who had portions of his face ripped off in a dog attack, a Japanese family who were keeping their elderly mother’s corpse in her bedroom so they could keep collecting her pension, and a man who had his dick completely bitten off by his wife who had an epileptic fit while giving him head under their table in a fancy restaurant.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
This book reminds me of the forensic medicine course I took in law school. We were shown many horrifying photos of dead bodies that the good old shock websites couldn't have prepared me for. The worst part was probably how it was all business as usual for the lecturers and how mundane many of the deaths were - like some lady accidentally falling out of a window and ripping half her face off one the way down by hitting a door that was left open on the ground floor.

We had the option of attending an autopsy within that course, which was super weird and frankly kinda scary for someone with no medical background. I don't think the course had many practical merits and was created just for the amusement of doctors showing dead bodies to unprepared law students and macabre aficionados among the students.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
page 6
sentence 9

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is great, thanks Pick!

Page 803
Line 16

Frank Frank posted:

Page 33

Number 33

Pick posted:

"The second rule is in most beatings there is little, if any, blood spatter resulting from the first blow."

Also, not for the competition, but I'd really like to know what the first rule is in most beatings, so page 33 number 30.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Page 13

Sentence 37

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

page 637

sentence 12

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wifi Toilet posted:

Flammable gas is stored in the balls

Goodness gracious great balls of fire :supaburn:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Rather than ask for a specific page number, do they go into what happens to you in a tornado or hurricane? If a tornado can bury a plastic lawn chair into a concrete wall, it must be insane on a fragile human body.

Also, are there any books that go over this in a similar formulaic, scientific way without any pics? It’s hard to look this stuff up online without accidentally stumbling into Rotten.com poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'll be catching up in a moment. Pause on new sentences please, this is harder to follow than I expected! :doh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheAardvark posted:

People that got the plug pulled?

Nope, has to do with a specific way of dying that tends to yield a death people may see as incomplete.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The awesome power of electricity to kill and maim! Are figs XVI-18 and XV1019a-b incredible pictures and will you post them if they're not too gory?

It is indeed electricity death! I may post some photos from this chapter of things that aren't people (I think there's some photos of shoes messed up etc). This thread will not post gore photos, though.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

was originally gonna go with choking on various materials, gonna now go with shotgun bullet wounds

[pending, looking up again]

Arrhythmia posted:

My sentence was from the Chapter On How The Physical Location Affects A Dead Body

Suuuper close, I'll give you 1/2.

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

Communicating findings with the public/discussing them with members of the media?

Nope, dinged again on a boring all-purpose sentence in a more specific chapter. (Bear in mind, as a reference book, there's a lot of this kind of redundancy since a lot of people never "read" this book, they go to applicable chapters.)

Patrick Spens posted:

Jesus. Maybe the chapters about various poisons?

Hmmm, probably another 1/2er.

mind the walrus posted:

Gonna guess this is a chapter on toxins/poisons/allergies. Someone that young on TPN whose TPN is of interest in cause-of-death went out of either dehydration from making GBS threads themselves to death or a bad, bad reaction to something they shouldn't have had. Like if this were the chapter on stabbing, I doubt the TPN and bowel resection is relevant unless it's like, her surgeon stabbing her over unpaid medical bills.

If that's too vague gonna put my final chips down on poison, which I think is more of a semantics issue.

ding ding ding! Right on. 100%.

---

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

just flip pages and point and post what comes up, thank you.

"The anus is occasionally dilated as a result of shrinkage at the perianal tissues and sometimes the rectal wall protrudes through the opening, like a prolapse."

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Page 222

Sentence 13

This is an images page. For previous page 221, ""On occasion, body hair, particular public axilliary, pubic, or perineal hair may provide additional clues toward identification."

I. M. Gei posted:

Does this book have a chapter on sex- or masturbation-related deaths? Cuz I bet that poo poo is a fuckin’ adventure.

It has incidences like that, but the topics are more by means of death. So there's some of that in the asphyxiation chapter, but it's not separated as to like the... motive I guess you'd say? Accidental gunshot wounds are in the same chapters as deliberate ones.

Geemer posted:

Hit me!

Page 1234, sentence 56.

"Mutilation of the face may by injury or postmortem decomposition of the body may render conventional identification procedures unsuitable."

Space Race Riot posted:

Page 222, sentence 13 if you please

This is an images page. For previous page 221, ""On occasion, body hair, particular public axilliary, pubic, or perineal hair may provide additional clues toward identification."

low key sex master posted:

- Give me a page number

Page 572

:synpa:

I'll give you two sentences from this image caption. "Entire knife left in wound. Handle of knife was bent over."

Admiral Goodenough posted:

- Give me a page number

Thanks Pick!

E. Changed my page number a little so it doesn't risk being in the introduction or anything

"In general, the law has traditionally permitted next-of-kin to have greater authority to prevent an official autopsy after burial than before because concerns as to the sanctity of the sepulcher or grave prohibited disturbing the final resting place, except in the most extreme circumstances."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've read a pretty entertaining book on crime scene cleanup when I was in college, I think it was titled Mop Men. Really gruesome.

Also page 444 is clearly the Asphyxiation, Blockages and Choking chapter.

It is indeed.

---

HOMO ERECTUS posted:

Page 81
Number 66

"The collection technique is not trivial either." (Oooh, bad luck!)

GrouchoClub posted:

Page 117

Sentence 40

please and thank you.

"The legal requirements to exhume a lawfully buried body vary widely in different jurisdictions and may be governed by federal, state, or local laws applicable to where the body is buried."

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Ooooh this is a fun thread!

Page number: 1097
Line number: 18

"- spillage of atheromatous material from the plaque, with partial or total occlusion"

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'd like a page 137, line 13 thanks!

"Concentrations in the urine are stable, reflect the antemortem findings in the serum, and have been judged to be helpful in the postmortem diagnosis of inflammation."

magic cactus posted:

page 222, line 22 please!

Image page! Your previous page 211 contains, ""Many drugs can be detected by analysis of the hair shaft and allow for an approximate timeline of when drugs were used."

Dick Bastardly posted:

page 6
sentence 9

"Great Britain was much slower than other European countries to adopt the practice of complete autopsies."

ExecuDork posted:

This is great, thanks Pick!

Page 803
Line 16

Image page! However, enough caption. "The hemohorrage into the upper eyelid occurred as a result of slipping and striking the floor when the body was being cut down."

quote:

Also, not for the competition, but I'd really like to know what the first rule is in most beatings, so page 33 number 30.

It's actually an earlier sentence than that with some explanation, but it's "The first is that a few bloodstains do not a pattern make!" This is the first exclamation point I've seen in this book which is saying a lot.

Lil Peeler posted:

Page 13

Sentence 37

"Until the development of the medical examiner system, Dallas County had had ten Justices of the Peace who conducted death investigations with autopsies being performed only if deemed necessary."

PokeJoe posted:

page 637

sentence 12

"Pseudo-tattooing is the term used to describe tatting produced by something other than gunpowder."

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 13, 2021

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aegis Bear posted:

Rather than ask for a specific page number, do they go into what happens to you in a tornado or hurricane? If a tornado can bury a plastic lawn chair into a concrete wall, it must be insane on a fragile human body.

I'm partially doing this to explore the book, so the answer is... probably? But the index is very technical in the sense that, for example, a hurricane death would probably be under a form of blunt trauma death, and a hurricane death would probably be in the drowning or blunt trauma sections. It's not very concerned with the circumstances, it's literally what happened immediately to a body. There's a chapter on drowning for example, a cursory look suggests most of these are natural drownings but it doesn't explain much of how they ended up in a situation where their bodies drowned.

quote:

Also, are there any books that go over this in a similar formulaic, scientific way without any pics? It’s hard to look this stuff up online without accidentally stumbling into Rotten.com poo poo.

Dead Men Do Tell Tales is still probably my go-to for interesting reading with no pics, many of these do have pictures (as they're references) or they're just weirdly twee gorehound rubernecker books. It's super hard to find something reasonably in the middle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Jesus posted:

This book reminds me of the forensic medicine course I took in law school. We were shown many horrifying photos of dead bodies that the good old shock websites couldn't have prepared me for. The worst part was probably how it was all business as usual for the lecturers and how mundane many of the deaths were - like some lady accidentally falling out of a window and ripping half her face off one the way down by hitting a door that was left open on the ground floor.

It's a bit of an oversimplification, but by and large the mundane/accidental deaths are way the worst and most gruesome in this book. I cannot BELIEVE how easy it is to shear off your face, you got that one in one. Falling on a broken pane of glass? Do NOT do that.

e: also there's one that's like "whoops this guy died of completely natural causes and was just buried at sea but he formed adipocere enough that he was bobbing around for over a year" (wtf??)
ee: don't run over snorklers in your boat (sorry, trying to look up that hurricane answer)

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 13, 2021

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Thanks for checking. I’m gonna grab that Dead Men book for sure, but yeah after seeing the results of disasters like the Our Lady of the Angels school fire ( :nws: :nms: DEAD KIDS do NOT google it), train/bus/plane wrecks, and human bodies turned into spaghetti by tornadoes, I’m more scared of random accidents than anything.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm going to guess page 221 is on identifying bodies which are burnt in fires.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pick posted:

"Mutilation of the face may by injury or postmortem decomposition of the body may render conventional identification procedures unsuitable."

Alternative means of identification for bodies that have been rendered unrecognizable?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It would be cheating for me to guess one, but on behalf of others who might want to guess, let's go with page 113 because it's my birthday today!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pick posted:

"- spillage of atheromatous material from the plaque, with partial or total occlusion"

:what: Uhm....deaths relating to just the heart??? Is specific organ-related death even a thing in this book?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Pick posted:

"Great Britain was much slower than other European countries to adopt the practice of complete autopsies."

Topic of chapter: post-mortem examination

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Topic of chapter: post-mortem examination

And they continue this fine tradition by only providing partial, pre-sectioned cadavers to graduate students in forensic anthropolOgY GODDAMMIT WHY *kicks a bean on a toast*

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pick posted:

I cannot BELIEVE how easy it is to shear off your face, you got that one in one. Falling on a broken pane of glass? Do NOT do that.

I'm going to be thinking about that mummified face in a ditch for a while. What was it like to find that? There must have been an investigation, but I'm picturing a pathologist just being like "oh, thanks, we've been wondering when that would show up"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
give me another random sentence. dont wanna have to find a page that hasnt been done yet :sweatdrop:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
"The anus is occasionally dilated as a result of shrinkage at the perianal tissues and sometimes the rectal wall protrudes through the opening, like a prolapse."

hell yeah

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

hell yeah

weird of them to print your last doctor's visit in this book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Pick posted:

"Concentrations in the urine are stable, reflect the antemortem findings in the serum, and have been judged to be helpful in the postmortem diagnosis of inflammation."

Hmm, sounds like something to do with poisonings.