Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is great, thanks Pick!

Page 803
Line 16

Frank Frank posted:

Page 33

Number 33

Pick posted:

"The second rule is in most beatings there is little, if any, blood spatter resulting from the first blow."

Also, not for the competition, but I'd really like to know what the first rule is in most beatings, so page 33 number 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

Page 803
Line 16

Pick posted:

Image page! However, enough caption. "The hemohorrage into the upper eyelid occurred as a result of slipping and striking the floor when the body was being cut down."

Hmmm... I'm going to go with how to distinguish between injuries before and after death, and maybe how to determine how much time has passed between death and finding / examining the body.

Also, the scene in my head that plays when I read that sentence is pretty funny.
"Careful! Careful I said!"
"Sorry boss I'm trying" *grunts*
*rope finally parts under the blunt knife*
*THUD*
"Goddammit I told you to be careful!"

Pick posted:

It's actually an earlier sentence than that with some explanation, but it's "The first is that a few bloodstains do not a pattern make!" This is the first exclamation point I've seen in this book which is saying a lot.
Change it slightly to The first rule is that a few bloodstains do not a pattern make! and it becomes some A-tier under-the-AV-text for some goon. I'm not reserving it for myself, but I might take it sometime in the near-ish future if I find myself on the forums some Friday or Saturday night with a bottle or two of wine in my system.
Thank you! Is there a third rule of most beatings?

Pick posted:

I'm partially doing this to explore the book, so the answer is... probably?
I love this.
Pick: "I have a great idea for approaching this enormous and intimidating book!"
*posts this thread*
Almost immediately: "Oh poo poo that entire chapter is just wall-to-wall DEAD CHILDREN"
*glues a hundred pages together* "Do not enter here. This is not a place of honour"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

subpar anachronism posted:

Pick, I'd love some book recommendations, or also from anyone else. I did enjoy Mary Roach but I just haven't read enough on weird body stuff this year.

What of Mary Roach's have you read already? I understand why Pick doesn't like Mary Roach's style of writing, but I enjoy it. Grunt, all about soldiers and their injuries and everything else about soldiers that isn't directly related to weapons, was pretty good. There's plenty in there about weird injuries, novel surgical techniques, and fun things to do with a corpse in the name of SCIENCE!. I read Grunt a few months ago, consider this a recommendation at 3.5 out of 5.

And seconding/thirding Caitlin Doughty, I read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes a couple of years ago and I sometimes watch one or two of her youtube videos while I'm eating lunch at work.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I couldn't find a stand-alone book called The Unrepentant Necrophile but apparently it's an interview within the anthology Apocalypse Culture - which I have just added to my Amazon wish list. I guess there will be an evening - most likely involving a bottle or two of wine - in which my drunk-Amazon-shopping will result in a few books about death, dying, and the people who love both.

fake edit: there's a sequel! But it's currently stupidly expensive.

Some Amazon Reviewer posted:

I loved the first book,but found little in here to care about.The Bobby B piece is interesting as are a couple other parts but,overall this just doesn't jive with me.I don't care about pedophaelia or Jonestown.Ugh.
I'm guessing there are a few goons who DO care about "pedophaelia" and/or Jonestown.