Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like cool buildings, and I bet other people like cool buildings too. Post pictures of cool buildings you find so that other people can see them and say "that's a cool-rear end building"

My cool building today is the former ministry of transport HQ in Tbilisi, Georgia.

It is hella cool especially given when and where it was built. Also not entirely impractical given that it is built on a big slope so it allows access from both the top and the bottom of the slope.

I love how it just rises out of the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bookmarking this thread

Here is the National Fisheries building in India:

I don't care if it's impractical. We should have more joyful, whimsical, or interesting buildings

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Habitat 67, built for the World's Fair in Montreal. 158 apartments, originally intended as prototype low-income housing, now super expensive because of how loving awesome it is

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
H67 owns despite it's flaws, the biggest probably being right on the river and cold as hell even by montreal standards.

The ford foundation building is incredible if you ask me

Kevin roche owned

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He also worked on and completed the John Deere World Headquarters in Moline, IL

These are kinda cool and I've never seen them before

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kevin roche owned

There gotta be birds living in there, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's birds living in sufficiently large big box stores so yes, probably.

It is pretty cool, reminds me of the science wing from Control, would be nice if it could have comparably tall trees.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Another Montreal entry, the Place Bonaventure was at the time of its completion it the second largest commercial building in the world. At first sight from the ground it's pretty typical brutalist fare. We've seen better and we've seen far worse.

Looking a little prettier come night time

But appearances are often deceiving and usually all it takes is a small change in perspective.

The top floors are taken up by a hotel that surrounds a quadrangle with one of the greatest roof gardens I've ever seen, over 2 acres in size

And it's even more impressive close up

And what hotel would be complete without a heated swimming pool

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, there is no way I would have guessed it was on the roof of a building from the eye level photos. Reminds me a lot of some of the 60s and 70s developments in london which are similar concrete park style things with lots of water features.

I really like the concrete and greenery aesthetic generally, blends in well with the sort of brown stains concrete tends to accumulate after a while.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Brutalist buildings covered in plants are so loving good. I think I got my whole aesthetic sense from ghibli movies

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

This is the Carson Mansion in Eureka, California.

This Queen Anne style building was constructed by a lumber baron in the late 1800's. It was probably extremely tacky and new money when it was built and now it's pretty cool.

The Carson Mansion has been a private club since the 50's. The upstairs can only be visited if you are invited by a member and absolutely no pictures are allowed.

The Carson mansion overlooks Duluwat/Indian Island, the site of a massacre perpetuated on the Wiyot people in 1860 during their World Renewal Ceremony. Unsurprisingly the genociders were never held accountable.

(not a cool building but part of the story)

What isn't public knowledge is that upstairs, occultic symbols of protection used by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn are inscribed around the window facing the island. Opposite that window hang a cluster of old portrait photographs which include several of the men local historians have been able to identify as almost certainly participants the massacre as well as the man who purchased the island three days prior.

That's pretty heavy so I will share that the Wiyot tribe began holding Ceremony there again in 2014 and was finally given back the land a little over a year ago. This marked the first time in US history that a local government has returned land to a native community without a court order or bill of sale!

At certain angles you can view both the Carson Mansion and the Humboldt County Jail, an incredibly ugly brutalist structure constructed in the center of town. The jail is colloquially referred to as "The Pink House" by locals.

A good way to break your brain is to take some acid when it's dark and stare at the juxtaposition of these two buildings.

Opposite the Carson Mansion is the Pink Lady house, built and gifted to the lumber baron's son as a wedding present. I don't know anything about this house that you can't find on Wikipedia and have never been inside, but I think it's a really cool house.

At some point it was a boarding house owned by two German sisters until it was confiscated as being Nazi property and sold at auction. I'm not sure if this was a product of wartime fervor or if the sisters were actually members of the Nazi Party.

If anybody else is interested in Victorian architecture I can go out and take some pictures of other cool buildings that I like.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hell yeah post it. I thought about doing the winchester mystery house but I think it'd be better if someone who actually went there did it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Queen anne revival is still unbelievably tacky and new money but I do still like it regardless :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mega off topic

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell yeah post it. I thought about doing the winchester mystery house but I think it'd be better if someone who actually went there did it.

I did a thing of your avatar in the sticky GBS thread but you don't have plat so consider this a PM (public message)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

^^^^ thanks it looks good

The American Radiator building is an unmistakable part of the midtown manhattan skyline today, located just south of Bryant park I believe.

Surprisingly difficult to find good pictures of to share, it looks like something old school batman would be perched upon

If anyone wants to follow up with write ups and poo poo be my guest I don't have that sort of attention span anymore

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't have the pictures or info to do an effortpost, but it is a really surreal experience. There's a room full of nothing but doors, one of which opens to a sheer 15 foot drop down into the servants' kitchen for no apparent reason. Another door goes to a flight of stairs leading up to a ceiling. There's a bathroom that's just a toilet with a glass door. These are just a few examples out of hundreds of insane rooms. It's absolutely wild that there are rooms they've only recently discovered because some were sealed off during the expansions. It's even wilder when you consider it used to be 7 stories tall but an earthquake took out a lot of it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pandy fackler posted:

At certain angles you can view both the Carson Mansion and the Humboldt County Jail, an incredibly ugly brutalist structure constructed in the center of town. The jail is colloquially referred to as "The Pink House" by locals.

not brutalism! not to sound like any more of an rear end in a top hat than this already makes me sound but a lot of folks describe anything as being made visibly of concrete as brutalist. not so - brutalism is good! this building is generic civic postmodernist, and therefore it looks lazy and terrible

kate wagner had a great series of posts last year about brutalism

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/187806092991/the-brutalism-post-part-2-what-brutalism-is-not

if you're looking at a building and you're thinking "this is trying to remind me of something, but it mostly sucks... and it has a whiff of 90s whimsicality" then that's raw postmodernism, baby

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
to post a cool building though, let's talk a little about frank lloyd wright. renowned, likely the most famous american architect of the 20th century and almost certainly the most influential. you've seen his work before, like his most famous house, Fallingwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9ipWcYnQc&t=62s

like a lot of architects of his era, he primarily did residential designs. notably, he got famous for doing residential designs. nowadays, in a time when most new houses are constructed along quickly slapped together standardized plans optimized for floor space and mass production, architecture is often the realm of commercial and institutional spaces, where residential architecture is left only for the turbonerds and ostentatiously wealthy. wright certainly did his share of enormous, fancy mansions - such as the charles ennis house, built 98 years ago, which is still so loving weird and futuristic it's still used as a filming location. it was used as a house in blade runner (1982 version), a film that takes place 40 years in the future, when the house was already 60 years old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJF5JAekN6A

notably, wright also worked on small houses for everyday people. the bulk of these designs were known as "usonian" houses, for, like, americans (usa-onia, a citizen is a uso-nian, whatever i'm not explaining it). if you take these houses and make them suck a lot, you get the common single story ranch which was the building block of american suburbia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mBgYYCZ61U

and not just that, but wright's idea of "broadacre city" directly advocated for what we would today call "suburban sprawl". very much a highly aesthetic, progressive-era very early 20th c. anticipation of the rapidly growing suburbs, sure. this very idea is what often causes people to contrast wright with le corbusier, the other giant rear end in a top hat who you can't ignore of early 20th century modern architecture. while they would have agreed in many ways, one thing they would have been at odds over was the idea of towers - wright didn't hate them, really, but he thought that the better thing was for people to get nice and cozy with the landscape. corbu, of course, once proposed that centrail paris be entirely bulldozed and replaced with enormous megatowers. so they did not see eye to eye necessarily

wright, broadacre city: "gee let's all just live spread all the gently caress over the landscape, it will be swell fellas, there will be no such thing as traffic i promise"

le corbu, plan voison: "gently caress tradition, gently caress history. i piss on the past. we will live in towers like men or die on the ground like dogs *smokes cig*"

"but mr. fall down terror!" you say, wearing out your scroll wheel. "you talk too much! shut the gently caress up! what does this have to do with any particular cool building?"

so, i established that wright, generally, not a tower guy. he did propose building a mile high skyscraper in chicago called The Illinois, but otherwise yeah, he mostly did residential architecture in varying sized and a bit of commercial work. towers, generally, he left to other people, which was a bold decision when the very beginning of wright's career corresponded exactly in time and place to the birth of skyscrapers (1880s chicago). BUT, aside from the sc johnson wax HQ which doesn't count, wright did exactly one (1) skyscraper - the Price Tower in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F84FAYwSII8

this building is fun for a couple reasons. aside from being an aforementioned oddity in his career, it is not a very tall building- 20ish stories, in a pretty nowhere town - so the tower stands out as being one of a few buildings of equivalent height in the otherwise midsized regional city. the tower is also an example of artistic flourish, designed decades before but unbuilt, and then constructed in a time when ostentation in architecture meant flat, clean lines with expensive materials (think the Mad Men aesthetic). Price Tower, on the other hand, is a positive riot of flourish, decoration, and ornamentation. still tastefully done, but definitely not austere and cold. on top of that, it has built ins - built ins! - in a commercial building, which is pretty wild given how often commercial properties are renovated to be up to date but also cheap. yeah, its a neato building, and if for any reason you ever find yourself passing through northern oklahoma or southern kansas, swing by and take a look

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Feb 14, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's also the Sheats-Goldstein residence, originally built as the Sheats residence, but then purchased and lived in by this guy, who is certainly a weird enough character to own a wildly fancy modernist style hillside house in los angeles. this is the most los angeles man possible, probably created in a lab from compressed cocaine and ego

check out his website, mostly about the guy himself but i've focused on the bit where he has pictures of his rad rear end house

http://jamesfgoldstein.com/?page_id=881

you may know it as the jackie treehorn house, from the perfect film The Big Lebowski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Bhk5i1lM

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

if you're looking at a building and you're thinking "this is trying to remind me of something, but it mostly sucks... and it has a whiff of 90s whimsicality" then that's raw postmodernism, baby

The Portland building is much reviled but I love it.
It's squat, boxy and very stupid. I can't get enough of it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

No shot of the Portland building is complete without the giant statue that is super cool to look up at.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I really love the subtle insanity of the BEST store buildings.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

This one is fairly close to where I live. It's called Wollaton Hall and apparently a batman film used the location. There's also a lot of deer that live in the grounds and every year, there's stupid tourists who get too close to the males. Anyway, it's a stunning building.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Detroit Masonic Temple. The largest Masonic Temples in the world. It has over 1000 rooms.

They have a large beautiful theatre inside, but most of the sprawling interior is closed to the general public. They occaisionally give guided tours and open the place up a bit more.

There is an unfinished swimming pool on the third floor that has never been filled for structural reasons

Its located in the once notorious Cass Corridor neighbourhood which can get a little dicey at night. The building becomes even more imposing after sundown, and provides an ominous backdrop.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Too busy to adequately sing the praises of Hundertwasser, in particular the Waldspirale.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Milo and POTUS posted:

These are kinda cool and I've never seen them before

These are in north Indianapolis, yes? My grandparents lived not far from there when I was a kid.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I have no clue I stole them from wikipedia lol. Sounds about right though. They look totally different from his ordinary output. Check out the interior pics of the john deere world headquarters they're fancy as hell.

I can't remember how I found it*, but Brookfield place has an interesting interior if you ask me.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of Santiago Calatrava but I do know I absolulely adore him compared to frank gehry

*probably a deep wiki dive after looking at the west deadmonton mall to see how it stacked up against other shopping centers of canadian metros

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is the Toronto Reference Library, a massive public library where you can go to read books but not check them out:

From the outside it looks nice but nothing to write home about.

But from the inside it's gorgeous.

The whole place is open around a giant interior space with really beautiful curving walls and staircases. They even got tables that match the aesthetic:

If you want, you can even host events there and light it up for a nighttime party:

It's a wonderful place to read books and just a great piece of architecture in general.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tip posted:

No shot of the Portland building is complete without the giant statue that is super cool to look up at.

Portlandia is really cool but it's actually a bit hard to see her from the street.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Inzombiac posted:

Portlandia is really cool but it's actually a bit hard to see her from the street.

Only when there are leaves on the trees.

It is pretty silly that they surrounded this cool statue with a bunch of tall trees.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

sugar mouse posted:

This one is fairly close to where I live. It's called Wollaton Hall and apparently a batman film used the location. There's also a lot of deer that live in the grounds and every year, there's stupid tourists who get too close to the males. Anyway, it's a stunning building.

It's definitely a cool building but that style and that lighting remind me of something....

*I do not know enough to know if that's the right place for the logo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

On to something much holier, the Temppeliaukio Church in Helsinki is pretty neat. Instead of flying buttresses and ornate features you'd associate with more southerly (and -catholic-) churches, this Lutheran number is built into the rock itself and it's definitely interesting to look at. Peter would be proud

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F84FAYwSII8

this building is fun for a couple reasons. aside from being an aforementioned oddity in his career, it is not a very tall building- 20ish stories, in a pretty nowhere town - so the tower stands out as being one of a few buildings of equivalent height in the otherwise midsized regional city. the tower is also an example of artistic flourish, designed decades before but unbuilt, and then constructed in a time when ostentation in architecture meant flat, clean lines with expensive materials (think the Mad Men aesthetic). Price Tower, on the other hand, is a positive riot of flourish, decoration, and ornamentation. still tastefully done, but definitely not austere and cold. on top of that, it has built ins - built ins! - in a commercial building, which is pretty wild given how often commercial properties are renovated to be up to date but also cheap. yeah, its a neato building, and if for any reason you ever find yourself passing through northern oklahoma or southern kansas, swing by and take a look

What kills me is that you could plunk that sucker down next to any of the 20-ish story tall apartment blocks in my city that were built in the late 90s-early 2000s and nobody would give it a second look. It's like he perfectly predicted:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

On to something much holier, the Temppeliaukio Church in Helsinki is pretty neat. Instead of flying buttresses and ornate features you'd associate with more southerly (and -catholic-) churches, this Lutheran number is built into the rock itself and it's definitely interesting to look at. Peter would be proud

It's also interesting in that it doesn't have a big "HELLO YES I AM A CHURCH" sign on it anywhere. Normally you would expect either a steeple or a big ol cross somewhere that you can see for miles. I would probably think it was a car park looking at it from the outside.

Also ^^ yes the long lines building is great and I love that they just lifted the exterior (and extrapolated it to the interior) design whole cloth for Control.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Edmonton in Alberta's best known tourist trap attraction is the West Edmonton Mall, the largest in the world for quite some time and still probably worth checking out I guess if you're into that sort of thing. While younger me loved malls, older me is all about botanical gardens, especially greenhouses and conservatories. The Muttart Conservatory is probably one of the more unique ones.

Each of the pyramids showcases different biomes plus a seasonal one so there's plenty of plants to look at and pretend you're in a biodome on an alien planet when you're out of your mind on shrooms

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I am going to perform CPR on this thread until it can fly on its own and none of yall can stop me

Live out your O neill cylinder* fantasies in the Crystal Bridge in Myriad Botanical Gardens in OKC. Yes I know that o neill cylinders don't work like that

Exterior:

Interior

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Milo and POTUS posted:

Edmonton in Alberta's best known tourist trap attraction is the West Edmonton Mall, the largest in the world for quite some time and still probably worth checking out I guess if you're into that sort of thing. While younger me loved malls, older me is all about botanical gardens, especially greenhouses and conservatories. The Muttart Conservatory is probably one of the more unique ones.

I think I blew that place up when I was playing Rogue Squadron, whoops.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Tropical Islands Resort in Germany is the world's fourth largest building by volume and the largest indoor petri dish waterpark in the world! It's housed in a former airship hangar. You've probably noticed a running theme in most of my entries. Anyway, visit and get covid in style! (j/k, they're closed atm I think)

Some exteriors

The green spaces are pretty much the main draw for me

Attractions for normies

Cool off after one of germany's famously hot tropical days

Overview

For scale

Pneub posted:

I think I blew that place up when I was playing Rogue Squadron, whoops.

Edmonton?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man that thing fucks with my eyes, like internal volumes should not be that big.