Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Torquemada posted:

Too busy to adequately sing the praises of Hundertwasser, in particular the Waldspirale.

I went to his public toilets once. They were everything I could've imagined and more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasser_Toilets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When the world is uninhabitable and we're all living in those things, thousands of people will still insist it's not that bad outside and spread conspiracy stories about how their friend's neighbor left the dome the other day and barely melted at all.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Tropical Islands Resort in Germany is the world's fourth largest building by volume and the largest indoor petri dish waterpark in the world! It's housed in a former airship hangar.
So that thing is still around and actually useful in a way now?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah there's not a whole lot you can do with airship hangars, especially the ones built for the gently caress off gigantic airships of the early 20th century - modern airships are much smaller

some of them are still used for airship construction and maintenance. others are sitting around sporadically used, for storage. google bought one and is refurbishing/detoxing it, though they aren't going to use it for much more than parking jets in

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sticklefifer posted:

When the world is uninhabitable and we're all living in those things, thousands of people will still insist it's not that bad outside and spread conspiracy stories about how their friend's neighbor left the dome the other day and barely melted at all.

Funny that you mention that

I guess pretend that it was enclosed in something

And from downtown...

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Domes?

Let's talk about the Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm feeling a bit turgid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Architectural thritty (three-titty)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm feeling a bit turgid.

That's just the juffo-wup filling your fibers. Get some violent action in, you'll be fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Those are some lovely rear end domes bro

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Growing up it was magical. It is too cold to snow outside but inside -- it is the desert or (my favorite) a jungle.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It is way harder than you'd think to get good pictures of igloos. I blame pinterest

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Ontario College of Art and Design in Toronto

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Budapest, József krt. 62, 8.ker.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I live in the toboggan hill

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Y'all know about Louis Sullivan right? He (according to some) invented the skyscraper, and also gave architects the maxim "form follows function," which many of them took to mean buildings should not have any ornamentation at all. However as you can tell by looking at his work he probably would not agree.

The Wainwright Building - St. Louis, MO - 1891

Anyway later in life he got less work and from 1908 to 1919 a lot of his output consisted of small banks in small agricultural towns in the American Midwest. They're incredible!

National Farmer's Bank of Owatonna - Owatonna, MN - 1908

Merchants' National Bank - Grinnell, IA - 1914

Tomorrow I'll post about some civic architecture I like in Texas, because one time I told an architect friend of mine that I liked a post office near my house and he told me it's "not architecture, it's just a building" and that really pissed me off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell yeah I like those old fashioned mid-high rise buildings, not sure what you call it, it's got classical elements but it's a lot nicer than palladianism.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Hell yeah I like those old fashioned mid-high rise buildings, not sure what you call it, it's got classical elements but it's a lot nicer than palladianism.

americans liked a really toned down beaux arts, sullivan studied at the ecole des beaux-arts when he was younger. you can see where he muted it a bit and just did some detailed decoration around the edges without going full rococo, fancy french poo poo but for a midwestern american palate. its sometimes called the chicago school, which is basically making functional buildings like office towers and banks and things but decorating them like they're parisian opera houses. check out the 1893 columbian exposition, aka burnham's "white city" for a bit more extravagant examples. you can see how these ideas transitioned directly into the prairie school, basically updating with a little art nouveau and little austere modernism. wright was sullivan's most famous student

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

These reminded me of the Woodbury County courthouse in IA. It's more prairie than beaux arts, but anyway:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Woodbury_County_Courthouse

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbury_County_Courthouse

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Meet the Bierpinsel ("beer brush") in Berlin, a 70s brutalist sci-fi tower. It used to house a club and a restaurant, now it's abandoned. It was on the market for like 3 million euros a few years ago, I think they're planning on using it for office space now :(

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Milo and POTUS posted:

It is way harder than you'd think to get good pictures of igloos. I blame pinterest

Jerry's Catfish House in Florence MS on US 49.

I drive past it twice a week.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Dounce posted:

Meet the Bierpinsel ("beer brush") in Berlin, a 70s brutalist sci-fi tower. It used to house a club and a restaurant, now it's abandoned. It was on the market for like 3 million euros a few years ago, I think they're planning on using it for office space now :(

Goddamn, is that brutalist or is it cassette futurist? (or can it be both)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

americans liked a really toned down beaux arts, sullivan studied at the ecole des beaux-arts when he was younger. you can see where he muted it a bit and just did some detailed decoration around the edges without going full rococo, fancy french poo poo but for a midwestern american palate. its sometimes called the chicago school, which is basically making functional buildings like office towers and banks and things but decorating them like they're parisian opera houses. check out the 1893 columbian exposition, aka burnham's "white city" for a bit more extravagant examples. you can see how these ideas transitioned directly into the prairie school, basically updating with a little art nouveau and little austere modernism. wright was sullivan's most famous student

Along these lines, the Carbide & Carbon building is possibly my favorite building in Chicago. It’s on Michigan Avenue just north of the Loop (and I can see it from my therapist’s office!). Built in 1929 by the Burnham Brothers, Daniel Burnham’s sons. It’s been several hotels over the years (including the Hard Rock Hotel :rolleyes:). It’s simultaneously severe and ornate, with beautiful gilt details.

Up close, the black marble base is much darker and shinier than you can see here, and the gold detailing is absolutely stunning. It’s very imposing, and I love the juxtaposition of colors and textures.

The inside is gorgeous too:

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Sep 23, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Is the stone green? Or does my screen/eyes just suck?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Zil posted:

Is the stone green? Or does my screen/eyes just suck?

It’s mostly gray with just a little bit of a greenish tint. The colors are all a bit off in these photos, probably to emphasize the gold.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bibliotechno Music posted:

It’s mostly gray with just a little bit of a greenish tint. The colors are all a bit off in these photos, probably to emphasize the gold.

I mean I love it either way, just wanted to double check.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Dounce posted:

This is awesome

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

Goddamn, is that brutalist or is it cassette futurist? (or can it be both)

it is not brutalist, except in the internet way that every 20th century building with weird shapes is brutalist

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wtf is this real? If so where/what is it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xun posted:

Wtf is this real? If so where/what is it

right click :google: says Singapore Airport

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it is not brutalist, except in the internet way that every 20th century building with weird shapes is brutalist
It's rad is what it is.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
milwaukee's domes were already mentioned, so i thought i'd bring up one of the other things we're famous for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQJPkQL0fU

the wings themselves are pretty neat: https://mam.org/info/quadracci.php and since it's built a little like a sailboat, it juts out over lake michigan. come get bothered by seagulls as part of your fine art experience.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Texas has 254 counties, and each one has a county courthouse as its central government building - think of it as the county's city hall. It's called a courthouse because the governing body of the county is called the commissioners' court, and the elected head of the court is the county judge. No it doesn't make sense.

My grandpa told me that for a while he had a hobby of trying to go to every county courthouse in Texas to take a picture of it, but he realized about a third of the way in he hadn't written the county on the backs of any of the pictures he had taken. Sadly this was pre-internet, so he just gave up and bought a book instead.

I'm gonna post a few of my faves as well as a map of where the county is within the state. A majority of county courthouses (or at least close to it) are WPA-era Art Deco-ish or 50s/60s era Modern. Most of the rest are bad beaux-arts.

Bexar (in Spanish, BEH-har; in English, BAY-er, like the company) County - County seat: San Antonio - pop: 2,009,324 (pos. growth compared to 2010)

Calhoun County - County seat: Port Lavaca - pop: 20,106 (neg. growth compared to 2010)

Jefferson County - County seat: Beaumont - pop: 256,526 (pos. growth compared to 2010)

Matagorda County - County seat: Bay City - pop: 36,255 (neg. growth compared to 2010)

Nueces County - County seat: Corpus Christi - pop: 353,178 (pos. growth compared to 2010)

Travis County - County seat: Austin (also state capital) - pop: 1,290,188 (pos. growth compared to 2010)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DemonDarkhorse posted:

milwaukee's domes were already mentioned, so i thought i'd bring up one of the other things we're famous for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQJPkQL0fU

the wings themselves are pretty neat: https://mam.org/info/quadracci.php and since it's built a little like a sailboat, it juts out over lake michigan. come get bothered by seagulls as part of your fine art experience.

When I went to this museum and found out this whole thing is basically the lobby and the actual museum is down a long hallway in another building I felt so cheated

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

When I went to this museum and found out this whole thing is basically the lobby and the actual museum is down a long hallway in another building I felt so cheated

lol

As a Milwaukeean, I can echo this. While they were building it, I remember hearing that the whole wing structure was built so that on sunny days, they could close the wings to let it less light, thereby protecting the artwork.

But yeah, it's just a big pretty entrance hall. The art's that way.

(I still love it. It's nice to hang out in, and they have cool events there.)

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

lord funk posted:

(I still love it. It's nice to hang out in, and they have cool events there.)

I was in Milwaukee visiting family and this guy took me to a classy event there. It was the real Milwaukee deal: people in suits just getting absolutely hammered on martinis. The whole evening is a blur but I'm pretty sure I tripped into a piece of artwork and if I did I was absolutely not the only one.

It was pretty cool.

Content: These are Marina City. They were built as archologies, basically, where residential and commercial space would co-locate so like it has a theater, ice-skating rink, stores as well as apartments. There are no right angles inside the building so everything is all curvy-wurvy and weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

My grandpa told me that for a while he had a hobby of trying to go to every county courthouse in Texas to take a picture of it

Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

OnlyBans posted:

I was in Milwaukee visiting family and this guy took me to a classy event there. It was the real Milwaukee deal: people in suits just getting absolutely hammered on martinis. The whole evening is a blur but I'm pretty sure I tripped into a piece of artwork and if I did I was absolutely not the only one.

It was pretty cool.

you sure it was martinis and not old fashioneds?