Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoshLipnik/status/1443970000876933123?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

DemonDarkhorse posted:

you sure it was martinis and not old fashioneds?

Yeah, martinis. It made the national news.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-mar-05-ca-artsnotes5.2-story.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Helmsley building in NYC is a handsome building with an interesting function

I'm not a big car guy but I'm huge on "tunnels through buildings" guy

Once more with the whole shebang

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The scale of the tunnels didn't quite click until I saw the small car driving through the base of one. We have covered alleys in the UK but never seen anything that grand.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is a building in Norway simply called the Laboratory Building. I really like how it looks like something from a dystopian sci-fi movie.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Norway has tons of cool buildings! Do you have any knowledge of the Samfundet in trondheim? It's supposed to have such mazes that it's never been mapped out which seems like a nightmare in case of fire but wow for the rest of the time

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Norway has tons of cool buildings! Do you have any knowledge of the Samfundet in trondheim? It's supposed to have such mazes that it's never been mapped out which seems like a nightmare in case of fire but wow for the rest of the time

I have never been in Trondheim. Speaking of though, the NIdaros Cathedral is pretty cool:

Like all good cathedrals it also have at least one haunted spirit roaming the grounds and one legendary king buried in a secret spot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does anyone know of a japanese architect with pretty ornate and kinda old school 8-bit video gamey facades on his skyscrapers? I kinda liked it but damned if I can remember who it was anymore and man there's a lot of japanese architects on wikipedia

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Rooms in St Johns Newfoundland is designed to look like one of the myriad fishing cottages that line the provincial coastline

It's also loving HUGE

Just a nice view inside

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Someone should do an effortpost on the Cathedral of Learning. Namely someone who's been there

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Helmsley building in NYC is a handsome building with an interesting function

I'm not a big car guy but I'm huge on "tunnels through buildings" guy

Once more with the whole shebang

The first time I ever drove through that I was kind of lost and super frustrated and then all of a sudden I have to drive through this building, but there’s really no good way to turn and all the traffic is going through, so you just drive through a building. It’s very cool though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's surprisingly difficult to find decent high res pictures of the Taipei 101 in my usual spots so uh it's just pictures I guess. Anyway it's one of my favorite buildings in the pacific rim and is made to look like a pagoda! Wow!

They love fireworks!

The most interesting thing is the giant dampener to keep the builing safe from earthquakes and typoons. AC/DC wrote a song about it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the computer from Westworld

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

This is the Radio Kootwijk transmitter hall. It was finished in the early 1920s, to house the telegraphy transmitter used to communicate between The Netherlands, and Indonesia (The Dutch Indies, as they called it back then). Until then, the only way to send a telegram to the other side of the world was either via the German cable (not an option during the 1st world war because germany's cables were cut by their enemies) or the English cable (also not an option, because Brittannia had censors deciding what you could and coudn't transmit via their cable).

It is a concrete behemoth in the middle of nowhere. It used to have six 212m high masts carrying the antenna.

Style wise, it's a bit of a mixture between Art Deco and the Amsterdam School. Of course people also call it brutalist because it's a massive, blocky concrete thing. It has beautiful wrought iron ornamentation on many doorways, all with 'radio waves' as patterns. The whole building is 100 percent symmetrical, except for one single floor tile in the main hall. That was a joke of the architect.

The big Very Long Wave telegraphy transmitter was used in WW2 by the germans, to communicate with submerged submarines. The germans destroyed the big antenna masts when it was clear they were gonna lose, and they were never rebuilt because in the 1940s the VLF technology was hopelessly obsolete, and shortwave telegraphy was more effective with only 1/20th of the power needed. Hell, the station was opened in 1922 and within five years it was completely obsolete. Ham radio operators discovered that you can have 'amateur levels' of power on shortwave, and still reach the other side of the globe.
Once the radio station built a few shortwave masts and transmitters, the reliability of the connection got a lot better, and of course power consumption was decimated quite literally.

The building and infrastructure, however, was used until the 1990s for shortwave communications.

In Indonesia, this building housed the properly massive transmitter to send telegrams back to the Netherlands. They used a carbon arc transmitter (think 'carbon arc smelter' but with an antenna attached) with a truly staggering 2 megawatt of power. Building such a device with just manual labor was truly a gargantuan task. It worked, but it was extremely hard to keep running for more than a few hours at a time because it constantly leaked coolant into the main arc chamber. This meant that the backup transmitter (the same Telefunken alternator transmitter as in the dutch Kootwijk station) was essentially always kept on standby.

This thing was again made obsolete after only a few years, when the ham radio operators discovered shortwave telegraphy was much easier and more reliable.

Sadly, but understandably, the indonesians destroyed the whole complex in 1947, at the time when the dutch government was terrorizing the people in an attempt to keep the power over the colony.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Nov 1, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That square lol

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Heh, it seems like you found it!
Though i thought the one non symmetric bit was in the main hall. The tour guide said something like that, but did (intentionally) not show where exactly the mismatched tile was.
Oh well.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I only just recently learned the name of this structure from an urban exploration channel on Youtube: the Petrova Gora monument.

There apparently isn't much to the building in person; it's an empty tower that was originally a monument to Croatia's resistance against the Nazis (?). It just looks cool; like a real life version of a structure you'd build in Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That building is exactly the sort of thing that a model designer would think looks cool and distinctive, but then the gameplay mechanics make the player spam a bunch of them right next to each other, and then it looks silly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This is probably controversial for a lot but I actually do like the lloyds building

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I only just recently learned the name of this structure from an urban exploration channel on Youtube: the Petrova Gora monument.

There apparently isn't much to the building in person; it's an empty tower that was originally a monument to Croatia's resistance against the Nazis (?). It just looks cool; like a real life version of a structure you'd build in Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2.

This is an extremely problematic monument

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is an extremely problematic monument

Is it? Why? I honestly don't know much about its history.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone know of a japanese architect with pretty ornate and kinda old school 8-bit video gamey facades on his skyscrapers? I kinda liked it but damned if I can remember who it was anymore and man there's a lot of japanese architects on wikipedia

This was shin Takamatsu it turns out

Sadly demolished. Kinda cool and weird. love it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some church in hong kong

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hallgrímskirkja in Reykjavík

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Rooms in St Johns Newfoundland is designed to look like one of the myriad fishing cottages that line the provincial coastline

I was there this past summer with my fiancée, and stood in that very spot!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Are those painted or coffered

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are those painted or coffered

https://www.persiaadvisor.travel/attraction/qeysarie-gate/

Some painting, some tile work

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Iran has some amazing buildings.

The shah cheragh looks pretty typical from the outside but in the inside looks like

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is probably controversial for a lot but I actually do like the lloyds building

Cool building; where do the marble ramps go?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Just leave them on the stairs since they're insurance people

Not a building but a cool rear end subway station in stockholm

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

drat that is cool. Looks more like an FPS level than an actual subway station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty rad huset ya got there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Just a pretty rear end train station in philly i think. Idk I stole it from reddit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD, officially known as OCAD University these days) added a new addition 20 years ago now:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just a pretty rear end train station in philly i think. Idk I stole it from reddit

Yeah that’s 30th street station. They used to have an awesome flip board that announced the schedules of the next trains but they replaced it with a digital one a couple of years ago. Last I heard someone was trying to preserve it.

https://youtu.be/Oo0tFTGJjvc

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm not generally a fan of churches, but this one is pretty impressive inside.

It's the chapel at the Concordia Theological Seminary in my hometown of Fort Wayne Indiana. The exterior isn't as cool looking, but the interiors all have this wonderful 60s look even though it was designed in 1953. There's some generic external shots on their website: https://www.ctsfw.edu/about/about-our-campus/

The interesting bit to me is that it was designed by Eero Saarinen, who designed the St Louis Gateway Arch about 4 years before he did this place. I was a massive Arch sperg when I was 10 or so, after a family trip there. So discovering later in life that my hometown had some architecture from the same guy blew my mind.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah that’s 30th street station. They used to have an awesome flip board that announced the schedules of the next trains but they replaced it with a digital one a couple of years ago. Last I heard someone was trying to preserve it.

https://youtu.be/Oo0tFTGJjvc

They should add speakers to play some clattering noises every time it updates.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm not generally a fan of churches, but this one is pretty impressive inside.

It's the chapel at the Concordia Theological Seminary in my hometown of Fort Wayne Indiana. The exterior isn't as cool looking, but the interiors all have this wonderful 60s look even though it was designed in 1953. There's some generic external shots on their website: https://www.ctsfw.edu/about/about-our-campus/

The interesting bit to me is that it was designed by Eero Saarinen, who designed the St Louis Gateway Arch about 4 years before he did this place. I was a massive Arch sperg when I was 10 or so, after a family trip there. So discovering later in life that my hometown had some architecture from the same guy blew my mind.

Everyone loves a pretty brutalist church, but what about really loving ugly brutalist churches?