Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Imagine you've got an entire holodeck at your disposal to create almost any variation of baseball simulation. Want to relive a particularly good year for your favorite MLB team? Want to run an historical season from the 1930s to see if you can change history? Want to create an entirely new league with new leagues?

You can do all of it with Out of the Park Baseball. OOTP is one of the most unique games I've ever played as it gives players complete freedom over anything and everything baseball. If you're a statistical junkie and want to dig into facts and figures to make the Mariners (for example) a championship team, you can control every aspect of the team, including finances. If you're more like me and a fan of baseball but not particularly knowledgable about all the nuts and bolts, you can play as a commissioner and create a new league out of whole cloth. Watch entire games unfold on your screen (recent versions of OOTP have 3D graphics with pretty realistic action) or run through entire weeks or months of time in the current season; it's all completely up to you.

I'm on year twelve of simulating a league I created. My style of playing the game is to set up various characters from fiction as players: Bugs Bunny, Hyacinth Bucket, Jean-Luc Picard, etc and watch them battle it out on the ballfield. I don't go for 'serious' baseball so much as 'what would happen if Jaws from James Bond was a pitcher' screwing around. Most other OOTP players seem to stick to managing real-life teams like the Red Sox. Both are equally valid ways to play the game because, like so many games on the market today, there isn't one "correct" way. That's one of the things I like the most about this game. It's not for everyone, but if you're a baseball fan, it might be worth a try.

I was going to do a write-up of this game so I'll just add to yours.

The complexity of tools available to you is insane. The game is integrated with the entire history of american pro baseball, as well as current teams and players from 15 international leagues. You can make a league of all number one draft picks vs a league of all Mr. Irrelevants. (Mike Piazza is king) You can design your own stadiums, set your own off-season free market rules, add expansion teams, eliminate the DH to bring back God's True Game. There's a checkbox to simulate pandemic conditions, or to spawn a new league file from the state of real baseball on the day you create it. You can export pretty much any game data into a text file that you can batch edit in excel and import back into the game.

Then there's the community. There are tons of online leagues where 20-30 owners compete in simulated seasons. Some start in a historical year, some are purely fictional. Some have gone on for many years with the same owners, bickering over rule changes and salary caps every two months. When my brother passed away our OOTP league filled the church with flowers. It's one of the few nice places left on the internet.

If you like Blaseball, this is a more grounded version of that you can play with your friends. Sometimes I'm shocked that so few people know about this game.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
If the games were like two seconds longer, warioware probably wouldn't have been as fun or successful, that's how tight that formula was