Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember which of the games it was, but there is one where the whole gimmick is that somebody Nate knew (his brother? just some old friend? I played them back to back and they all get mixed up) was believed dead while hunting the treasure, but it turns out he just faked his death so he could cut his partner who financed him out of the deal to keep all the treasure for himself and Nate. Throughout the rest of the game, you keep arriving at places where the other guy has also figured out is where to look, and even if he's blowing poo poo up to get there he... uhh... he did find them before Nate and his partner and they have no right to be upset or indignant at him "stealing" the discovery from them. In fact if anything THEY are the bad guys in this situation, showing up after the fact and trying to steal what this guy is legitimately entitled to a significant portion of.
Uhh that was Uncharted 4, where Nate's brother pretends he's in debt to some criminal warlord and that's why they need to race against Rafe to get the treasure to pay back the warlord.
Then eventually it's found out that the criminal warlord has been dead for years. Rafe bailed out the brother and then the brother ditched.

It's weird that you have this as a complaint because yes this is literally a major point of character conflict in the story to the point that once Nadine, Rafe's henchman, figures it out she quits in disgust at how dumb it all is, and it pushes Elena and Nate's marriage to the breaking point. They eventually forgive Sam since they're both horny for adventure but it's acknowledged he's responsible for a lot of needless death.

The game has themes! St Dismas keeps getting brought up as the 'penitent thief' as Nate thinks he's repenting for leaving his bro for dead, while Sam is the 'unrepentant thief' with chronic double-crossing on the brain.

----

Someone else please effortpost about Prey 2017, it's a fantastic game but I don't have the screenshots and multiple playthroughs to do a real good big post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are there other games like this? Shadow of the Colossus on Ps2 is the first I thought of

exquisite tea posted:

Those kinds of games really don't get made anymore because people have some kind of baseline expectations for performance. Back in the day people thought their PS2 was exploding due to the sheer awesomeness of SotC but don't really feel the same way about CP2077 making them fall through the world.

It's mostly first party titles that still get to do this. Stuff like God of War PS4 and Last of Us 2 get to really stretch what are now 7 year old consoles. Horizon Zero Dawn manages to maintain its draw distance and stuff onscreen by really aggressively culling all the terrain you're not looking at so that the only things that 'exist' behind the player are NPCs/enemies moving over the collisionmap.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zaphod42 posted:

This is fun lore analysis and almost creepypasta levels of fiction, but it feels like you're getting away from the spirit of this thread...
This is some extrapolation about the perceived deep secret meaning of a game, ala Paul is Not Dead, not really "why dark souls is the best game"

Yeah, sometimes developers just realise something isn't working well and change it up.

Hades by Supergiant Games was originally going to be about retellings of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. So they already had the roguelike structure with the random dungeon in place and presumably they had early gameplay for a long while before the game was ever announced.

They decided it wasn't working, changed it up to be about Zagreus and the Underworld, and the game improved. Theseus and Asterius got kept but were... changed to be bosses!
People have commented on the irony of a game about being trapped in a home being developed and released during a pandemic and lockdown, but they had nothing to do each other. The story of the Minotaur and the Labyrinth wasn't working out and so it just got reworked to be about Hades and the Underworld instead. Sometimes stuff just gets reworked to work better either for narrative or technical reasons.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I liked playing through Remember Me but I think it suffered heavily from not quite going where it wanted to go. There's clear signs of a lot of areas or story being cut, and there's only three Memory Remix sequences in the whole game, which as noted, clearly got better expanded upon in Life Is Strange.

It's a pretty game with a neat world, but even with better voice acting, I don't think the story is particularly well-told.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I found Sekiro to be much more beatable than Bloodborne, simply because Sekiro gives you back a 100% damage reduction block.

The stealth also helps - other than the bosses, getting through any given area in Sekiro is actually pretty easy most of the time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think I fundamentally don't get Diablolikes in terms of the actual gameplay part.

I understand that part of the fun is the absolutely crazy power combos you do where you're surrounded by fifty on-hit stormclouds, or you summon skeletons that turn every enemy they kill into another skeleton until the whole screen is your skeletons. I 100% understand that.

What I don't understand is:
If that's the fun part why not just give out all those combos at the start of the game?
No farming, no grinding. Just balance the game about having those nuts combos at the start of the game. Then you'd play through the game once and call it done.

Or, if you wanted to try a different playstyle, respec or restart with one of the different crazy combos already given to you.

The devs should just hand it all to you from the start instead of wasting time with the levelling and grinding.

This is why I felt Diablo 3's ability system was pretty cool except that you had to level to 60 first. Instead you should just start at 60 and be able to shuffle all your runes around as you like.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's one big thing dragging down DQXI for me and that's the music.

Leaving aside the various political unpleasantness around the controller, it's some of the most low-effort music in an RPG I've ever heard. I'm used to games like this having unique interesting music for every location, but instead every town plays the exact same MIDI bleeps and bloops unless you pirate the Orchestral mod.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

He's one of those guys that loves scifi in all its forms so he's always on the lookout for the next 'near future' thing and excited to translate it to the medium he's allowed to create things in.
Based on his twitter feed I wouldn't be surprised if his next project is around private space mining or similar.

In a way it reminds me of Neal Stephenson and how a lot of his work will just dump a disguised essay in the fiction based on whatever fact he learned that day.
(REAMDE was a big misstep, both in terms of writing quality and plotting, because its conception of what MMOs are like basically assumes WoW was a popular aberration and popular games henceforth would be more like an even more realistic Ultima Online)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dominoes posted:

Should I read that? It's the only one I haven't read. Part way through TS now. Still good, but so far the dullest of his books. (Not necessarily a bad thing)

Nah REAMDE just kinda sucks overall, it's like it's trying to ape Dan Brown and Tom Clancy and just doing it poorly and not even in an ironic way. The big 'lore drops' that NS loves are seemingly about terrorism and counterterrorism but that's well-trodden ground for that kind of fiction.
Also I just remembered that the ransomware phishing virus spreads because people schedule their MMO raids in Outlook and it's an Outlook exploit which sounds absolutely absurd to me, but I have no idea how hardcore raiders actually scheduled.

Come to think of it I haven't read any of his stuff since that. All I know is that I liked Snow Crash, thought Cryptonomicon was alright, the whole Baroque Cycle was pretty cool even if a lot of the last book was padding, and Anathem was cool.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 13, 2022