Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I played Psychonauts for an hour or two back in the day. The concept, story, visuals and dialog were all pee-your-pants funny, but the combat was dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

dumby posted:

Lol I also quit Psychonauts at a jump in the meat circus. I don't think it was this one, I remember a super tall spring jump being impossible to land. Couple hours of trying a single jump and I decided I'd never finish that game.

Yeah, I quit after fighting a boss for an hour and failing due to horrible controls.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Just in case anyone is still on the fence, SMAC is one of the best strategy games ever ever ever. I bought it when it came out over 20 years ago and still reinstall every few years.

Look it's only $1.50 on GOG! Go get it!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Tactically, Cult of Planet is a loving nightmare to play against once you get the techs to plant fungus. Go full mindworms, have zero roads, plant that poo poo in the water to restrict naval travel and only air power or late game hovertanks can reasonably attack you. Infantry is slow and your mindworms can dance around them and pick them apart. A bit like the creep advantage from Starcraft only more pronounced. And also like The Gaians you can just seize wild mindworms and send them at your enemies. And though I don't really see the AI play this way, imagine an empire that is almost 100% covered by fungus. The land will require high casualties to assault, higher to take, your mobility is poo poo and the land is functionally worthless unless you have late game fungus techs.

This is true, but the Gaians can do the same thing at least as well, and not be hobbled with money/industry penalties.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The real joy of the Unreal series was the insane amount of mutators, which were basically mods but with integrated support. There were hundreds and hundreds of good ones. The pinnacle was "Unreal Forever", which added a bajillion weapons and some cool play modes.