Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

I will be talking about lots of games here :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Street Fighter II is the best fighting game of all time, come at me :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fridge corn posted:

nobody wants to hear someone ramble on and on with personal anecdotes only tangentially related to the topic at hand

gently caress yes I do

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

I think when you're talking about your favourite games of all time then it's expected that you're going to go off on personal reflections. There are lots of great games out there but the games we love the most are because we built up a personal connection with them and hearing about that story is way more interesting than 'the graphics are beautiful and I pew-pew the mens real good'.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Rarityís Top 50 Games of All Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWSDvDqm9g

#50. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Atmosphere. If I had to sum up Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver in one word that would be it. The world of Nosgoth drips atmosphere from its every pore. With graphical capability punching high above the PS1ís weight Soul Reaver presents a world in decay, a relic of a mighty empire that has long since fallen leaving just parasites and scavengers to squabble over its remains. This is the setting for a revenge story Shakespearean in its tone. The protagonist Raziel is a lieutentant of Nosgothís ruler Kain who is murdered by his own liege and sets out to overthrow him for his own satisfaction. There is no pretence of nobility or heroism here. The gameplay is a typical character action affair with a couple of neat twists thrown in with enemies requiring special methods to kill and Zelda-esque light and dark worlds to shift between at will.

I have a bit of a confession to make here. I never got that far in Soul Reaver. I canít remember exactly where I got to but it canít have been more than a couple of bosses in. I was young, my gamer levels had not yet improved and by the time they had I had long stopped thinking about PS1 games. But what speaks to me about this game is the way that it sparked my imagination. The world of Nosgoth seemed vast in scope promising new wonders and dangers beyond every horizon. Perhaps one day I will play it and realise Iíd seen 75% of the game already but as it is the version of Soul Reaver that exists in my head is an epic adventure full of tension and darkness. With a world that presented so much possibility the Legacy of Kain will forever be one of the biggest missed opportunities in gaming.

Oh I'll get to it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

I wish I vibed with Anniversary like other people do but when I played it was such a frustrating time. The platforming was so finnicky and there were so many times where it wasn't clear where I was meant to go and I had so many deaths just from jumping to somewhere I wasn't meant to jump to because I didn't know where else to go