Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The game has a lot of flaws (bad character design, dumb story, ugly character design, terrible incidental dialogue, horrible character design) but for my money I don’t think any game has ever been quite as satisfying to play as Batman: Arkham Asylum. A friend brought it over to my apartment after buying it and playing the first hour or so. He restarted it so we could pass the controller off. We got very high and played it all the way up to the end of the first scarecrow sequence in one sitting. The game just felt loving perfect. Every gameplay system was well considered and by the time you really got into the groove of the game’s combat it almost felt like a dance from goon to goon, critical punch after punch after punch. The “predator rooms” where you stalk the most unfortunate mother fuckers on the island made you feel like the baddest dude alive even as you were learning how to do it without taking any damage. You truly could psychologically break these poor guys down, to the point where you’ve whittled down a group of six or seven armed lunatics down to one trembling, shaking, terrified bastard who turns to see The Bat, tries and fails to pull the trigger, and is punched so hard that every single bone in his body explodes. Yeah, the boss fights were terrible. The sequel definitely improved those. But the first one was just so startling, so incredibly done with almost no prerelease hype to indicate how loving good it felt to be Batman. I think about all the tiresome bits that I mentioned above and it’s truly a testament to how loving fun this game is that all of those things are easily overlooked after you get locked in a brawl room with fifteen guys with pipes and absolutely loving dismantle them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The combat in the sequel was absolutely incredible but yeah. The freshness and shock of a Batman game not just being passable as a Batman game, not even being great as a Batman game but straight up being a great game is untouchable.

And the riddler stuff in the first game was more novel too. The scarecrow stuff was just a total master stroke. I can only think of one other game that came that far out of left field for me and I’m gonna try and write it up soon.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I still remember the first time we did one of the predator rooms. My friend had already done it before I had seen and he showed off a little. whittled the guys down to one dude who freaked out and sprayed bullets everywhere after hitting a pipe near him with a batarang and startling him with a sudden burst of steam. He screams “WHERE ARE YOU!!!” and two seconds later Batman hit him with the inverted gargoyle takedown. My jaw drat near fell off my head.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

I don’t know what to say about burnout 3 aside from this, it’s the best driving game ever it has speed annoying graphics flames and so. Many. Crashes

Crash mode is life altering. Takedowns are Good. I really want to say more about how much I love this game but words don’t really cut it. You just have to play it and Rube Goldberg your way into crash mode multipliers yourself. Game Rules

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah. They really nailed it, poo poo was so satisfying once you figured it out. Never played Revenge but Paradise really blew it wrt the things that made burnout unique. Not necessarily a bad game but definitely a generic one.

Wish they still made them, or that they would port it to the switch for me.