Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I don't like shooters really. I finished Bioshock 1 and 3, Far Cry 3 I liked but that's kind of it. I can't remember the last shooter I played through except for this one.

Gunslinger was released in 2013 and developed by Techland, a Polish developer known for not much other than Call of Juarez games, of which I haven't played but I've heard that the previous game in the series (the cartel) is absolute dogshit. Gunslinger is a western themed FPS, pretty short at around 5 hours, linear, and is usually on sale on steam or GOG for peanuts.

The game is a cartoon, plain and simple. The premise of the game is that you are actually an old bounty hunter by the name of Silas Greaves recounting your exploits to a table of randos in a bar. So yes, you can dodge bullets, slow down time by squinting your eyes, and reload your revolver by inserting bullets into the chamber while it is spinning and shoot dynamite mid air. In short, it's fun. As you gain levels you can put points into either revolvers (the correct option), rifles (easymode), or shotguns/close quarter combat (fun especially dual wielding but mostly impractical). You get bonuses for stringing together kills, and it runs on a points system which isn't that relevant except for experience which doesn't really matter that much, or the separate arcade mode. I cannot really compare it to other shooters because I don't like them, but the weapons all have a very heavy quality to them, partially emphasised by the semi accurate reloading requirements which mean if you miss all your shots you've got a long wait until you can try again. Feels good. A lot of this is the sound design, even your starting revolver sounds like firing a cannon, and they only get bigger from there.

Many of the bosses are duels, which was an acquired taste but functional mostly and require multitasking. Here's a fun duel where I manage to take down a bird and dodge two bullets:

This game does not apologise for being fun, which comes into the art style. A lot is in a comic book style, and you get a short strip introducing most of the bosses in the game, but also in one memorable time your shotgun. Take a look at the way this boss is introduced for a good example, in a way that is completely awesome and uneccesary:

Most cowboy stories are complete bullshit.

You are recounting stories that are mostly elaborations or fabrications, of which your character is inserting themselves into whether they were there or not. Some key things are explicitly true in story, but really not many at all. You never actually find out, but regardless you play through the story as Silas tells it. About the only thing which feels 100% genuine is the inciting incident when Silas along with his two brothers are attacked by three men, decades before the story. Only Silas survives, which kicks off his revenge for the men who killed his family.

At certain points the gameplay shifts as the story is told, like when your main character decides you are almost out of ammo to raise the tension regardless of what you picked up, or the story stopping abruptly because you need to go and take a piss, or three characters recount a story separately in different ways which you play through. This creates a really neat framing mechanism for the overall arch, which is that your character has been on a revenge mission for basically his whole life, tearing through basically every character in the wild west to get to those who wronged him. Despite this, in a slightly surprising move it is scattered with historical truths at times, like this absurd boss that just keeps eating bullets like they are nothing. If you google him you will find that he was an actual historical person who survived 23 bullet wounds. Most pleasing to me is the fact that everyone in the story who knows anything about anything shits all over Wyatt Earp and the Pinkertons.

ENDING SPOILERS HERE, PLEASE PLAY THE GAME FIRST
The story takes place in 1910 in Kansas, far from the wild west at this point. It's not revealed until the end that one of the people you are talking to in the bar is the man who killed your family, and you are given a choice: to forgive him and leave, or get your revenge after all these years. Spread throughout the story are small hints toward this, Ben the bartender knows more than he should, and replaying it makes it clear that Silas is confirming his lead, and sussing out what he wants to do about it after all these years.
There probably are examples, but I can't think of any revenge fantasies in media where the proagonist recognises they need to change their ways and enact forgiveness. You leave the bar into the sunset as the torch gets passed from the wild west into whatever comes next.

Alternatively, you can murder the old man, making everyone sick and terrified. It's still a choice, but if you have seen both it is unambiguous as to what the correct choice here was.
Also one of the people at the table is a young Dwight Eisenhower lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Dominoes posted:

Put your money on the double and play Prey, The Witness, and Outer wilds. Sorry for making GBS threads on The Outer Wilds post. Just that it's best played knowing nothing about it.

On this topic:

There is no Game is one of the best game non-games I have ever played. You should watch the first minute on youtube (or look at the recent LP of it) and if it looks like something you would enjoy then do yourself a favour and get a copy.

But I'm not going to spoil a single thing for anyone.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

OTOH, if you don't know what you're doing and you make a build that's fun and just fine for completing the loop the first time

There are 10 acts now instead of just running the game three times!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

The composer for the dq series also has some unbelievably hosed up political views

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I played it for about a month and it was truly bizarre experience, and I'd just like to share a quick story (this was I want to say 2008?):

I was running around a zone and some clearly much more experienced player says hi and introduced herself. She gave me an item you need to unlock your hideout, apparently it was very hard to find unless you know what to do.

Then she took me back to where I was and based on the way I was moving told me to stop right away because something was off. She then showed me how to swap to using the proper keyboard controls instead of the default option of gamepad while running the PC version which was like, one hand on asd and the other on hjk or something wild.

I didn't last long, but thanks to that random person I definitely lasted a lot longer than I would have.