Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I'm surprised that no one has done this one yet but Doom (1993).

Theres not a huge amount left to say about this game that hasn't been said a gently caress load of times already but it's one of if not the single most important and influential game of all time (and also is my favourite game of all time).

It wasn't the first fps by a long shot but it defined the genre (to the point where almost every fps that came out after that up until maybe Half Life was called a Doom clone). It's still the fastest fps of all time with Doom Guy being able to reach a blistering 40kmph while strafing

It spawned first person shooters as a full on genre and influenced Quake (which was originally going to be an ARPG until iD changed direction) and Half Life, which went on to influence a whole ream of games.

It practically gave birth to the speedrunning genre by having completion times at the end of the each level (with John Romero having set par times so gamers could match their skills to his).

On a more technical level it was the first game to show off the PC as a proper graphical powerhouse. Before this most of the heavy hitting graphical games were on consoles and PCs were confined to graphical adventure games. Doom really changed that to the point where even console ports of it struggled to match the PC counterpart. Iirc it was the first online shooter.

In terms of cultural impact it was huge. Due to the first (and best) chapter being shareware almost everyone I knew had played it at one point or another. The game was practically designed with custom modding via .wad files in mind, first with custom maps and also went on to become totally open source later on in the 90s

A lot of shooters have fallen by the wayside and have been all but lost to time due to technical limitations and just not holding up well compared to modern games and it says a lot that Doom has managed to hold this off. It still plays incredibly well today (with a minor floor polisher graphical mod) and I would absolutely recommend anyone that hasn't played Doom to do so, even if it's just to run around with a chainsaw munching through some Imps.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Party Boat posted:

:yeah:

After completing Doom (2016) I realised that all my experience with the original had been with IDDQD and IDKFA because I was an idiot kid who was bad at games. One legit playthrough (only on Hurt Me Plenty because I'm now an idiot adult who's bad at games) confirmed that it's still great. iD created some incredible game making tools and then used them to create some genius levels.

I know a lot of kids took the same approach as me and cheated their way through the game, and I'd encourage anyone who did to give it a proper go.

My first time playing it at a friend's house we didn't know about the cheats, we were only playing the shareware version but still got wrecked by the Barons of Hell at the end.

It wasn't until I picked it up again in the collection version which was released around the time of the movie that I discovered the cheats.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

IDSPISPOPD is seared into my brain :sweatdrop:

First PC I got (486 DX2 66mhz with a whopping 420mb harddrive!) came with the Doom shareware and I played it CONSTANTLY. I had friends come around to play it. I played it every waking moment I could, learned the levels backwards and forwards, played with cheats and without them, honed my reflexes to an insane level on quickloads when I'd saved 0.00000002 of a second before getting killed and learned to move in 0.00000001 of a second to dodge the attack etc. The music, the way damage was communicated to the player, the monsters, the atmosphere.... Doom was, is and probably ever will be one of the greatest games ever made.

The funny thing about the music is a lot of it is actually rock music from the time just synth'd up and changed juuuust enough to avoid copyright.

That's why e1m1 is basically master of puppets in reverse.

And one of the later stages is a switched around Hells Bells.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I freaked the gently caress out when I beat this game no cheats on our family's 486 in my stepdad's office. I think I was 10. That might have been the first time I ever properly beat a game, looking back.

Working on a Sekiro effort post because it's the game of my dreams.

When we finally beat the Barons of Hell at the end of chapter 1 we marked out. Probably the first time I've really got excited over a video game.

We then spent about 3 hours trying to survive the intended death when you finish chapter 1

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly doom released today probably wouldn't pass copyright, they barely even changed half the songs. They're basically straight midi covers of pantera and metallica.

Pretty much yeah.

It owns.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Somehow Guilty Gear still keeps on truckin' despite all their songs basically being lifted directly from contemporary prog rock and metal.

I don't think anyone* really cares unless you are literally copying it.

*There are obvious exceptions to this.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I found Sekiro to be much more beatable than Bloodborne, simply because Sekiro gives you back a 100% damage reduction block.

The stealth also helps - other than the bosses, getting through any given area in Sekiro is actually pretty easy most of the time.

I found Sekiro a lot harder. I dunno something about the parry mechanic in Sekiro just took a lot longer to get than Bloodbornes. I still don't have Sekiros parry timings down very well at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

poo poo yeah, Homeworld is loving amazing.

My one gripe with it is that you can get into an unwinnable situation and not know about it as units persist over missions.