Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nice op op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I was thinking up some games I could post about but quickly realised that of the titles I came up with I really didnt have much to say about the games themselves but more so that they were important to me for other personal reasons: games that I was playing at pivotal moments, or were defining or nostalgic in some way to specific periods of my life, and nobody wants to hear someone ramble on and on with personal anecdotes only tangentially related to the topic at hand so idk

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Thank you for all the replies to my very self aware post. I will have a think about what I want to write about

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I never played Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver but a mate of mine did and he insisted on calling it Legacy of Kain: Puzzle Reaver at every opportunity

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

Someone gave me a place to rant about Star Wars: Squadrons!

I didn't quite get it from your write up, but were you playing the game in vr or not?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

I was not! I really would have liked to, as I heard a lot of cool things about it, but VR is not ever gonna be part of my set up for a long time. I just don't have the money to drop on the kind of PC I'd need (and I don't really like PC gaming anyway), and there's not enough VR content on PS4/5 to make me feel like it'd be worth it. I tried it out when Sony did the free like 2-week trial of it a couple years ago, and I'd be down if some day the price point were lower and it had more content

Okay cool. Im glad you liked it so much even without vr. Everyone who usually raves about it does so cuz of the vr experience. I got the game for Christmas and haven't played it yet but also dont have vr. I'm not that interested in the multiplayer and mostly in it for the x-wing/tie fighter nostalgia single player campaign. Looking forward to playing it!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I want to talk about this stupid thing:

The Apple IIe. Bask in its insanely beigey glory. Why do I want to talk about this thing? Well, in thinking up of topics I could post about in this thread I came up with a list of gaming milestones and I figured I might as well start at the beginning. The Apple IIe is that beginning.

This thing was a fixture in our house before I was even born. Indeed, it even featured in our 1984 family Christmas card photo, the last year that the family Christmas card photo did not feature me. According to wikipedia this machine with all the bells and whistles as we had would have cost a whopping $5000 in today bucks, which is an obscene amount of money. However one of the few perks of holding and underpaid research position as my dad did at the time was being able to apply for and allocate grant money; an unintended consequence of which being providing me with the means to play video games straight out of the womb. So what could this bad boy do? Here are a few of my more memorable favourites:

Black Magic - 1987, Peter Ward/Action Software
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A09sGoJwpEQ

This game is hard. Really hard. You play as a naked weakling in an unforgiving fantasy world full of monsters that will brutally murder you in an instant if you are not paying attention. Sounds oddly familiar....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKzoeI9zGM

Anyway I was not good at this game. My tiny child brain and noodley child arms did not afford me the opportunity to get very far with it, that and the arcane copy protection that required you to reference some passage in the manual (which we didnt have) to progress past a certain point.

Stickybear Basket Bounce - 1982, Richard Hefter, Janie and Steve Worthington/Optimium Resource

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23VBBbukOM

I couldn't find any Apple II footage for this game but it's the same thing basically except the colours are a bit different. Incidentally, we didnt have a colour monitor with our machine, but we could hook it up to the tv for that sweet white/purple/orange colour scheme. Dont have much to say about this simple game other than other than my sister's best friend's deviant older brother called the extra lives displayed in the upper left of the screen "condoms" which was really funny to me despite having no clue what a condom was at the time.

Rocky's Boots - 1982, Warren Robinett and Leslie Grimm/The Learning Company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npd-MAeVmDg

This is an educational game where you play as an orange square and tell a boot to kick or not kick things by using and, or, and not logic gates and it is VERY BORING despite my dad being very excited about it and insisting on trying to get me to play it in the hope that maybe I might learn something.

Winter Games - 1985, Epyx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adH3Jwb3uXo

Now this was the pinnacle of entertainment on the Apple II. Sophisticated graphics for the time, multiple game modes and local multiplayer. You could compete with your friends and siblings in the various events and see who could get the highest score. My favourite event was the "hot dog" event which was the trick ski jump. My sister would always beat me by landing the lamest trick whereas I would always try to break the joystick trying for sickest of all tricks but landing flat on my face. Good times. Haven't thought about these games in ages, the first video games I ever played.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I can't believe I posted at the bottom of the page. How embarrasing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I remember being real into the Coolboarders series on ps1. I think buy the time ssx became the leading snowboarding franchise i had fallen out of interest in those games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yea Suikoden 2 is for sure top 10 jrpgs of all time. Maybe even in the top 5. The music absolutely slaps. I had a good moment when I was watching Tim Roger's video on Tokimeki Memorial where I realised all of a sudden "hey this game's got Suikoden music!" because of course it does!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

tbf people don't mention it mainly because virtually no one outside japan was able to play it until like 15 years after it released

Was it really that rare of a game? I still have my ps1 discs of suikoden 1 and 2 buried in a box in the basement of my dads old house which he still owns but doesn't live at anymore

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Not suikoden 2 but since we're on a suikoden tune kick cant help but post this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCugLdA8NUU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

One time a buddy came over and we just messed around creating characters in EQ and running around the world just to see stuff. We got on a ship to sail from one continent to the other and were astonished that it wasn't just a teleport--that we'd be on the deck of the ship, moving through an actually-rendered sea with islands popping in and out as they got close enough to render. (Then I fell off the boat and swam around the open ocean and died on an island full of ogres, but that's another thing.) Reading about The Room you mentioned here made me think about that sense of wonder and scale and just how exciting it all was.

My buddies and I would every now and again have naked gnome races where we would make level 1 gnomes and see who could make it from ak anon to whatever the erudite town was called first. It was a lot of fun actually

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I have never played Vagrant Story :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Beautiful post Veeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Whybird posted:

Time to talk about Blades of Exile!

Spiderweb Software are one of the success stories of indie game development. Jeff Vogel's quietly been making a living since the mid-nineties out of making RPGs on an absolute shoestring budget, because decent storytelling and worldbuilding remain the cheapest resource you can buy.

The Exile series was his first release, a trilogy of Ultima-like RPGs charting the fate of an underground penal colony where the Empire were disposing of any malcontents to be eaten by awful subterranean monsters. Unlike Ultima, which peppered its dialogue with hacky thees and thous, Exile's characters spoke in the vernacular and the game's dialogue itself was charmingly terse. One of my favourite descriptions from the original goes something like:

"Once upon a time, someone defaced the fading writing on this sign with graffiti. Then the graffiti itself faded."

By the end of the third game, players had found a way to the surface, assassinated the Emperor, defeated the Empire when it tried to make war with the underworld, and finally won concessions from a new Empress to take unoccupied land on the surface. It wasn't clear where Spiderweb could go with a fourth game.

So for the fourth installment, Blades of Exile, Jeff Vogel sanded the edges off his devtools and handed them over to the community. Blades of Exile came with three scenarios written by Spiderweb and a toolkit to allow you to write your own, complete with a rudimentary programming language simple enough that pretty much anybody could make something playable.

In a time before modding had really taken off, this was mindblowing to any teenager with big ideas for an RPG and no mates to play it with. The Blades of Exile community made literally hundreds of scenarios. Some were good, many were atrocious, but opening a new one would always be a unique experience because you could guarantee that somebody, somewhere, cared enough about this story to spend time hacking it into a scenario.

Blades of Exile and it's predecessors have now been released as free software. You can get instructions for how to run them on a modern pc at http://www.bladesofexile.com/, and the scenarios have narrowly avoided being lost; they're archived at http://truesite.openboe.com/Home/mylittleboepage.html. LPer Berryjon also did an absolute masterpiece of a narrative LP of the trilogy, which starts here.

I loved these games. They were sorta difficult and inscrutable when I played them and never ended up getting very far, but rolling a new party and seeing how far I could get was always a good time.

In a similar vein to these games was Realmz, which I also spent in inordinate amount of time playing and figuring out what was game and what was jank. They certainly dont make games like these anymore