Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Payndz posted:

Rise (the second game) is probably the best, as it benefits from the devs learning what worked and what didn't in the first game to make playing it a smoother experience. (Not that the first game was bad by any means, but Rise improves on it in almost every way.) Shadow, on the other hand, polishes the gameplay a little bit more - Lara is absolutely at her most effortlessly controllable - but the story falls apart, probably because of the change of writing team. Hanging plot threads are ignored, and the previous main villains die offscreen in a radio message. The main hub area Paititi is too big, as well; it feels like you spend an age wandering back and forth through the same places doing fetch quests.

Rise also has some amazingly atmospheric locations; the snowbound Siberian forest near the start is somewhere I'll load the whole game up just to wander around marvelling at the snow and fog effects (and brutally murdering any goons I find). If there's a flaw with the game it's that Sam, Lara's best friend she spent most of the first game trying to rescue, was written out in the most perfunctory way possible. I actually know the writer, and she told me that was a management demand she wasn't at all happy about.

I was going to :effortpost: about Rise, but you already nailed the core of what I was going to say.

Rise is definitely on my "replay every few years" list - I really love it. It's survival done well - instead of it being a hassle and feeling like a chore, it forms the basis of a really cool metroidvania. The story is definitely not it's strong point, but it's fine.

I was totally bought into Tomb Raider as an open world metroidvania with cool puzzle tombs to explore. I know thats not classic TR gameplay, and who knows where the series is going next, but Rise is definitely on my top 10 games list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not all of these games have bad performance. Sin & Punishment for example had reasonable performance. Virtua Fighter 2 performed incredible.

These types of games still get made, but mostly with Sony and arguably occasionally Nintendo. The issue is that to get the most out of a system you need to use a proprietary engine designed around one piece of hardware. Only Nintendo and Sony still do this, and being honest it really shows. With the sole exception of Capcom pretty much every other company uses third party engines on top of developing games on every platform they can. Choice is great but it comes at a cost of not pushing hardware to its limits.

I know you already mentioned Nintendo, but remember that BOTW was designed to for the Wii U, a console that came out in 2012.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Psychonauts is one of those games where some of the funniest, most creative people ever to make games decided to try a new genre. The platforming and combat are in service of the setting, plot and characters not the other way around.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I old enough to say my first game was the original Super Mario Bros. I saw the evolution of games from 8-bit to today and eventually found myself working on games for the better part of a decade. Games have been a big part of my life since I was 5 and continue to be even today. A combination of some casual math and various platform/game stats would suggest that I have about 45,000 hours of game time played in my life across pretty much every genre and hundreds of games, ranging from playing with world-class organizations to casual time-wasters. There are some landmark games that many people covered in this here thread. I don't want to talk about a game that changed the trajectory of design, but instead the manifestation of the best ideas combined into one product. I want to talk about what I feel is the best game ever made:

I've been meaning to effort post about Ori and the Will of the Wisps but you know, :effort: So thank you for putting in the effort and allowing me to tack on what I really want to say.

Let's talk about feelings. Specifically, feelings that you get while playing games.

Most games have one or two feelings - the pain of losing or the thrill of winning.

Ori is not like that. Ori is about all of the feelings.

And I'm not talking about that part - the famous Ori prologue that makes everyone cry. I'm talking about the complex feelings that come from witnessing incredible art.

Like this for example. Ori has several different types of boss battles - one of the main ones being "you need to run the gently caress away because the thing you are facing is 100x your size." IIRC this is the first one you fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR3HPjEhw8I

After I did this sequence I had to pause the game and cry. Not because it's a sad sequence, but because it's just so goddamn beautiful.

And it's not a one-time thing either. I rewatched it just before making this post and for the 50th time had a good cry.

There were several times while playing this game that I just had to sit back and think "Wow, this might be the most amazing thing I've ever seen."

Ori is not a game for everyone. You have to be good at platforming and enjoy some of the quirkier aspects of the metroidvania genre.

But gently caress is it a masterpiece.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jerusalem posted:

Is the first(?) Ori worth playing first or just jump straight into Will of the Wisp?

Will of the Wisps is interesting because it's basically a perfect sequel. It's like Ori 1 was the early access version and Ori 2 is the final version after years of refinement. 2 even has the same basic plot.

Ori 2 takes the best bits of Ori 1 and makes them even better and fixes the worst bits.

Ori 1 is great because it's still more Ori but if you only have time and space for one, 2 is the obvious choice.

However, if you are going to play both, definitely play 1 then 2 so you aren't spoiled by the additions that 2 brings.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Homeworld
Relic Entertainment

All of this, yes, but can I just remind everyone of the single most heartbreaking cutscene in the history of video gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sAYbCTmPo

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2021

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jerusalem posted:

Great write-up on Homeworld, dead gay comedy forums, man I loved that game.

Seems like about the right time to update the list for the OP:

[snip]

Bravo goons, you have good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
If they gave you all the options upfront it would be a different genre. The slow incremental progress of "Help, run, there's a crab" to "I'm a walking nuclear warhead" is what makes it POE.

Who am I kidding, POE is really an excel spreadsheet on one monitor and a wiki on the other.