Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Erwin the German posted:

Resident Evil 4

The Resident Evil series is a dumb loving disaster and I adore it.

A perfect description. Even with Leon moving like a boat it's just so much stupid, dumb fun. I almost wanted to replay it with the reward where Ashley is wearing a suit of armor which means the monsters who try to kidnap her struggle to lift her weight which is just so gloriously stupid and beautiful and dumb. Moving on from that to RE:5 was a hell of a tonal whiplash :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still remember on these very forums a thread where they mentioned a new Batman game had a demo coming out that evening. At the time, the long-running wisdom was that there had NEVER been a good Batman game and this one was unlikely to be any different. Then we downloaded the demo and tried it and oh my God the combat, the predator sections, the interiors.... it was absolutely incredible.

When the full game came out I devoured it, I mastered the combat system so I could zoom through every fight untouched, I played and replayed on the hardest difficulties, I hunted down every Riddle. I devoured the sequels, and when the Game of the Year editions were released and given out to owners of the original games for free I replayed and devoured all of those as well and recompleted every single achievement possible. My favorite of them all is still Arkham City, but nothing will ever quite match the freshness and excitement of Asylum and how it wasn't just NOT a bad Batman game, it was a GREAT Batman game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I liked about Knight that felt like a bit of a callback to Asylum was a random mook discussion about The Riddler, where the guy admits that he is working for Riddler pretty much because he felt sorry for him because he's become so pathetic and obsessed with Batman. The ending of that subplot in Asylum where Batman just casually sends the cops to arrest Riddler at his apartment without bothering to go after him personally, all while Riddler is screaming over the radio about how this is a huge insult is so well handled.

Man, kinda wanna replay all the Arkham games again, even Origins (not Blackgate though).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of the best things about New Game+ in those games was that Riddler trophy collection carried over. So you'd have Riddler go,"Aha Batman, I have contacted you, in this city you will find a series of devilish tra-oh God you're punching me in the face! :gonk:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also hit a brick wall with Anniversary, I absolutely adored the original Tomb Raider and played the hell out of it on... gently caress, what even was the console? A Sega Saturn maybe? But I hit a point in Anniversary where the camera would switch direction PRECISELY on the moment of making a jump from a giant climb up a set of walls, and so whatever direction you were pushing in would suddenly reverse and Lara would plummet to her death.

I would try pushing in the other direction but the camera cut wouldn't happen, and it got so bad I figured I must be doing something wrong and looked it up online and found a bunch of people complaining of the same problem but a bunch more saying they never saw anything like that happen, so I have no idea what the gently caress :shrug:

It's a shame because even tough the graphics are far from cutting edge, it was nice to play a somewhat "modern" version of such a fantastic game as the original Tomb Raider.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I remember standing in department stores eagerly playing around on the Apple IIes they had on display, typing into the keyboard and getting nothing back but,"SYNTAX ERROR" :allears:

We didn't get a computer or console in the house until the very late 80s, but my school had some (old even at the time) Apple IIes we got to play around on every so often and play some text adventure games on and learn a tiny amount of BASIC on. My friend meanwhile had a Commodore 64 which I thought was the coolest thing ever. When I finally got a Master System 2 the improvement in graphics from what I'd been used to seeing blew my tiny little mind. Then in the mid-90s we got a 486 and I played Doom and welp that was it, I've been playing videogames ever since.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God Severance was such a bizarre but fun game, I don't think I ever got very far through it before restarting to try different characters etc, but it was a blast to play.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Somebody post a huge wall of text of pure emotion about Half Life before I do it myself

Literally praying somebody does Half Life 2 before I get free time and basically end up replaying the entire game over again just so I can gush about how much I love it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shine posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Memories of my first playthrough still occasionally come to me when I'm dreaming. My first colonel, sniper Sonya "Alpha" Acosta, was a goddamn hero. I think everybody who plays this game has "that soldier," who survived so many :xcom: moments and carried your team to victory. Alpha survived to the end, but just barely, as she was nearly taken out by a Sectopod in the final mission. I don't replay XCOM very often, because when I do, I get "XCOM dreams" and it really fucks with my sleep. Such an intense series when you don't use cheat mods (though those are fun, too).

My first ever complete playthrough, my first soldier who was the sole survivor of the tutorial mission became the first guy to successfully get psi-powers, and ended up being the final soldier who does the thing in the final mission of the campaign. It was perfection, sheer perfection :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Anniversary means something very personal to me and if these tangled sentences have conveyed even a percent of how I feel about it, then I will consider this tomb, raided.

Fantastic write-up and yes I played the music all the way through it :)

But please for the love of God tell me you tracked down episode 3 of that show you wanted to record! :f5:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you had put a gun to my head 5 minutes before I saw this post I wouldn't have been able to tell you a thing that happened in this video, but from the first frame of it playing an ancient crypt deep in my brain opened and literally every single detail of it flooded back to the forefront of my brain. As soon as it started I immediately thought,"Pierre, you litterbug!" :vincefrog:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First time I played Dark Souls and I got to a ladder you could kick down, climbed down and realized I was back at a campfire I'd come by earlier....

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 14, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was something that annoyed me a lot about the Uncharted games when I finally got to play them - VG mentioned earlier a big appeal of the early Tomb Raiders was finding some place that it was clear NOBODY had been for centuries if not millennia, but in UC games the places Nate "discovers" are often crawling with dudes, equipment etc.

I can't remember which of the games it was, but there is one where the whole gimmick is that somebody Nate knew (his brother? just some old friend? I played them back to back and they all get mixed up) was believed dead while hunting the treasure, but it turns out he just faked his death so he could cut his partner who financed him out of the deal to keep all the treasure for himself and Nate. Throughout the rest of the game, you keep arriving at places where the other guy has also figured out is where to look, and even if he's blowing poo poo up to get there he... uhh... he did find them before Nate and his partner and they have no right to be upset or indignant at him "stealing" the discovery from them. In fact if anything THEY are the bad guys in this situation, showing up after the fact and trying to steal what this guy is legitimately entitled to a significant portion of.

I think the follow-up game they decided to just go with the far simpler idea of,"Make the bad guy an insane dictator/general" instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bewilderment posted:

It's weird that you have this as a complaint because yes this is literally a major point of character conflict in the story

It's possibleprobable I'm conflating two separate things from different games in my head, because I definitely remember playing an earlier game and being irritated at Nate being upset at - and killing! - other people for the crime of... finding something before him?, and I guess playing all four essentially one after the other means all the plots kind of lump together in my head :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't the original Red Dead Redemption running on an engine that was basically the equivalent of a nuclear fusion reactor made up entirely of paper clips and chewing gum? Which is why they've never ported it to PC? Because they're terrified of upsetting the balance made in their deal with the Elder Gods to allow it to run in the first place?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

It's so wholesome. What a great game.

Agreed. I absolutely adore Psychonauts, somebody gifted it to me during a Christmas sale years ago (thank you, Goon whose name I've unfairly forgotten) and I've made sure to pay it forward several times because the more people who get to experience this wonderful game the better. They absolutely nail the easy to gently caress up "a bunch of dumb kids gently caress about and end up on an adventure" feel, and the gimmick of the mental landscapes for Raz to explore and solve just add such beautiful variety to the game.

I am praying they nail the sequel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vandar posted:

I really hope Psychonauts 2 turns out good. :pray:

Kinda miffed that the cliffhanger of the first game ended up leading into a VR game and was resolved there, though.

Wait... what? It was?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, I'd literally never heard of it before. I have access to a VR set I could borrow and I'm vaguely curious but not at that price point, will probably go the watch a playthrough route as well before Psychonauts 2 comes out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a loving great post, Sab, and a really interesting read :cheers:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God now I wanna replay them all over again. The first is still my favorite (even if 3 is the "best"), it still evokes that same feeling of astonishment I felt the first time I played it and things finally clicked for me. At first I found the dying mechanic annoying, having to redo everything I'd just done just to die again because I didn't have the solution to how to progress yet etc, but then you hit that moment where you go,"Oh!" and it all makes sense. Bizarrely enough that moment for me of all things was kicking down a ladder, climbing down it and realizing where I was which caused the entire vertical structure of the gameworld to come into sharp focus for me, and from that moment on all I wanted to do was explore and explore and see everything and how it connected and where it was going next. 2 is a fine game, and the major point I held against it - that lack of verticality AND sense of seamless continuity between areas from 1 - falls away after the context of 3 made me realize there was a (perhaps unintended at the time) greater point being made: that things were making less and less sense as time went on.

The ending of 3, where the Shrine Maiden realizes that keeping the dying embers of the first flame going was blinding them from all the other lights burning out there is so beautiful and optimistic and hopeful. I love that the constant refrain from 1 and 2, always viewed with suspicion, to just let the flame die ended up being - in my opinion - the absolute right call and what should have been done all along.

Great write-up, VG, and I can't wait to read your Sekiro write-up. I adore that game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

As a brief preview, I already think it is better than all three DS games and possibly better than Bloodborne but I am still sorting through my feelings and I still have lots of game to go!

DS1 is my favorite Dark Souls game and DS3 is the BEST Dark Souls game, but I really think that Sekiro is both my favorite AND the best From game, though thanks to the monstrous horror that is console exclusivity I've never gotten to play Bloodborne or Demon Souls, so my knowledge is incomplete.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Quick and rough list if anybody wants to finesse it a little more. I probably missed some of the shorter ones while scrolling through:

A Fisherman's Tale by The 7th Guest
A Hat in Time by Zybourne Clock
Age of Empires 2 by TheMostFrench
Alpha Protocol by theshim
Alien Isolation by VinylonUnderground
Anachranox by Whybird
Analogue: A Hate Story by Reveilled
Another World by VinylonUnderground
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Batman: Arkham Asylum by thrilla in vanilla
Black Magic by fridge corn
Bloodborne by FrozenGoldfishGod
Burnout 3: Takedown by thrilla in vanilla
Civilization by Lampsacus
Civilization 4 by Erwin the German
Commander Blood by Lid
Crash Bandicoot 4 by Violen
Crusader Kings II by VinylonUnderground
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic by Jeza
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls by VideoGames
Dark Souls 2 by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls 2 by VideoGames
Dark Souls 3 by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls 3 by VideoGames
Dark Queen of Krynn by Glare Seethe
DEFCON by Sardonik
Deus Ex by Erwin the German
Diablo 2 by TheMostFrench
Disco Elysium by Erwin the German
Duke Nukem 3D by Heavy Metal
Earth Defense Force by Shine
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind by Erwin the German
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind by VinylonUnderground
Enderal (Skyrim Total Conversion) by Ice Phisherman
Fallout 2 by VinylonUnderground
Fallout: New Vegas by Erwin the German
Faster Than Light by VinylonUnderground
Final Fantasy 4 by Spuzzz
Final Fantasy 7 by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 14 by Erwin the German
Half Life (mods) by TheMostFrench
Half Life 2 by Erwin the German
Hitman: Contracts by Erwin the German
Homeworld: Cataclysm by TheMostFrench
Horizon Zero Dawn by sean10mm
IL-2: 1946 by Shine
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy by Erwin the German
Kentucky Route Zero by Mode 7
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
King of Dragon Pass by Fly Ricky
King of Fighters 99: Evolution by Heavy Metal
Kirby Mass Attack by Regy Rusty
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords by Erwin the German
Knytt Underground by Glare Seethe
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver by Rarity
Legend of Grimrock 2 by Polo-Rican
Legend of Zelda by Mr. Pickles
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask by Erwin the German
Legend of Zela: Majora's Mask by star eater
Life is Strange by exquisite tea
Life is Strange by parkingtigers
Mafia by Erwin the German
Marathon by haveblue
Marathon by DAD LOST MY IPOD
Marathon 2: Durandal / Marathon: Rubicon by Glare Seethe
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Master of Orion 2 by VinylonUnderground
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne by Erwin the German
Mayhem Triple by Sorting Algorithms
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes by Heavy Metal
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater by Erwin the German
Metroid Prime by Erwin the German
Mirror's Edge Catalyst by BeanpolePeckerwood
Monster Hunter World by Shine
Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition by Erwin the German
Nier: Automata by Erwin the German
Night in the Woods by VinylonUnderground
Night Stalker by Shine
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen by The Zombie Guy
Ori and the Will-of-the-Wisps by Canine Blues Arooo
Out of the Park Baseball by F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Out of the Park Baseball by Arms_Akimbo
Perfect Dark by star eater
Perimeter by Sardonik
Phantasy Star IV by VinylonUnderground
Pirates Gold! by VinylonUnderground
Prey by VinylonUnderground
Psychonauts by Jeza
Psychonauts by Sab Sabbington
Punch Out!! by Shine
Rain World by f#a#
Ratchet & Clank - Up Your Arsenal by Shine
Remember Me by Parkingtigers
Resident Evil by BiggerBoat
Resident Evil 4 by Erwin the German
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves by Shine
Rocket League by Shine
Rocky's Boots by fridge corn
Romancing SaGa by 5-Headed Snake God
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin by Xarbala
Severance: Blade of Darkness by Mr. Pickles
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor by punk rebel ecks
Snoopy Silly Sports Spectacular by Shine
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 by VinylonUnderground
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl by Erwin the German
Star Wars: Racer by Mr. Pickles
Star Wars: Squadrons by morallyobjected
Stickybear Basket Bounce by fridge corn
Suikoden II by Ms Adequate
Super Hexagon by Glare Seethe
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Mario 64 by Heavy Metal
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Tales of Mal'Eyal by Konstantin
Terranigma by theshim
The Hunter: Call of the Wild by Zaphod42
The Longest Journey by Erwin the German
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart by Sorting Algorithms
The World Ends With You by theshim
TIE Fighter by Shine
Thief: The Dark Project by Mr. Pickles
The Dark Mod by Erwin the German
Tomb Raider Anniversary by Heavy Metal
Tomb Raider Anniversary by VideoGames
Total Annihilation by TheMostFrench
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine
Tropico by VinylonUnderground
Undertale by Erwin the German
Unreal Tournament by Shine
Vagrant Story by Party Boat
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines by Erwin the German
Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$ by GoutPatrol
Winter Games by fridge corn
XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Shine

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 10, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh so my Kirby Mass Attack post isn't good enough for you, huh?

I wanted to punish you for not picking up on the value of so many Kirbies, you really hosed up on that one, Regy Rusty :colbert:

Polo-Rican posted:

Towerfall

Strangely, 99% of the attention the game got centered on its versus local multiplayer modes, while its single player campaigns were largely ignored. This post is specifically about the single player content.

I've talked to people who purchased, installed, and played the game, and never even realized that it contained single player campaigns! This is probably because the single player content is confusingly hidden behind the "co-op" button on the title screen... admittedly, not great design...

Yeah count me in as somebody who didn't know this was a single-player game and would probably have picked it up if I had!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 10, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo that IS pretty, I never realized how good looking that game was. :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is the first(?) Ori worth playing first or just jump straight into Will of the Wisp?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sardonik posted:

Adding to this, the beam weaponry is iconic, like, one of the greatest sound effects in gaming, and especially great with the graphics mods.

That sound is drilled deep into my brain, I remember zipping around capital ships engaged in dog-fights and then hearing that noise and panicking oh God oh God is it firing at me? Or even worse, it is firing at something else and I'm in the way and I'm so insignificant and small I'm just going to be unnoticed collateral damage!?! :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Are those just cutscene remakes or somebody doing a full remake of Freespace 2? :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updating the list for the OP:

Anachranox by Whybird
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger by Zenithe
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Commander Blood by Lid
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Cloud 2 (Spheda) by Senerio
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by VideoGames
DEFCON by Sardonik
Final Fantasy 14 by Erwin the German
Freespace/Freespace 2 by theshim
Frontier: Elite 2 by GazChap
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Hunt: Showdown by Erwin The German
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
LISA the Painful RPG by Mizuti
Marathon by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Myth 2: Soulblighter by Pain of Mind
Myth: The Fallen Lords by dead gay comedy forums
Night Stalker by Shine
Ori and the Will-of-the-Wisps by Lechtansi
Perimeter by Sardonik
Prey by Erwin the German
Psychonauts by Jeza
Punch Out!! by Shine
Rain World by f#a#
Resident Evil REmake by Electromax
Rocket League by Shine
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri by dead gay comedy forums
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
TIE Fighter by Shine
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine
Unreal Tournament 2004 by dead gay comedy forums

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 19, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great write-up, Erwin the German, and I absolutely agree: despite all the very obvious and unmistakable problems with Cyberpunk 2077, it's still a game I really enjoyed playing in spite of it all. I can't dispute most of the complaints I've heard about the game but I had a blast playing the game anyway, and the ending path I chose - loving off out of Night City and embracing the family of the Nomads who accepted and loved me, with the small glimmer of hope that with Panam we were going to find some way to save V from the damage done by the chip - really felt like the perfect culmination of the way I chose to play and the lessons V learned along the way.

I do love that one of the frequent recurring messages of the game is,"Night City is loving horrible, even if you're king of the mountain it is a lovely MOUNTAIN!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IDSPISPOPD is seared into my brain :sweatdrop:

First PC I got (486 DX2 66mhz with a whopping 420mb harddrive!) came with the Doom shareware and I played it CONSTANTLY. I had friends come around to play it. I played it every waking moment I could, learned the levels backwards and forwards, played with cheats and without them, honed my reflexes to an insane level on quickloads when I'd saved 0.00000002 of a second before getting killed and learned to move in 0.00000001 of a second to dodge the attack etc. The music, the way damage was communicated to the player, the monsters, the atmosphere.... Doom was, is and probably ever will be one of the greatest games ever made.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great write-up on Homeworld, dead gay comedy forums, man I loved that game.

Seems like about the right time to update the list for the OP:

Anachranox by Whybird
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Commander Blood by Lid
Cyberpunk 2077 by Erwin the German
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by VideoGames
DEFCON by Sardonik
Doom (1993) by CyberPingu
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall by Thothanon
Final Fantasy 14 (short) by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 14 (expanded) by Erwin the German
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy by Reveilled
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Homeworld by dead gay comedy forums
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
Marathon by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Night Stalker by Shine
Pathologic 2 by Mizuti
Perimeter by Sardonik
Prey by Erwin the German
Psychonauts by Jeza
Punch Out!! by Shine
Rain World by f#a#
River City Ransom by Zerilan
Rocket League by Shine
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
The Stanley Parable by dead gay comedy forums
TIE Fighter by Shine
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

WTF, no one has written up Red Dead Redemption 2??? OK, I'm taking that as a personal challenge and will post a review before the end of the week.

Well? :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It is very important as well to be able to go back to those earlier areas when you've basically become the equivalent of a sentient sun in pretty armor and reenact this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UYWP_92jg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

quiggy posted:

Let's talk about the best JRPG ever made.

DQXI is a masterpiece of game design, of interface design, of story design, of character design, of world design. It is the D&D quest you want, a hero's journey you get to play yourself, a quest in the most literal sense imaginable. If any part of you has ever wanted to travel the world and find new weapons and kill screaming monsters on your way to stop a great evil, well, this is the game for you. Yes it's long, but so is a fantasy saga or a TV show or a movie series. Settle in and let the game work its magic. Trust me on this one.

:bisonyes:

I loving ADORE this game, it was the best thing I played all last year. I have never played any Dragon Quest before this and so I went in a blank slate, and the game is just... it's perfection. It's a "simple" idea refined to a mirror shine, everything about it just works, the story is compelling, the characters are wonderful, the relationships and unity you forge with your party is beautiful, the characters you meet and help along the way feel like an integral part of the broader themes of the story and NOT pointless busywork to pad out playtime numbers. The overall upbeat and inspirational tone doesn't shy away from acknowledging some very dark aspects and horrifying events and I will forever love and cherish the fact that the game gave you the option (and it IS an option) to say,"No, gently caress that, we're saving EVERYBODY!" when the game ends and jump back in time and use your knowledge to prevent the disasters and deaths you were powerless to stop the first time.

It is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful game. A love letter to a series I hadn't played that still hit just as strong (the post-credits sequence is lovely, but loving beautiful once you understand the context) for me because the game is just... it's great! I can't wait for the next game in the series, because playing DQ11 made me feel like this:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 4, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn, Kenshi is a game that just completely went under my radar, it sounds fantastic (and also like a gigantic time-sink :ohdear:)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anachranox by Whybird
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Commander Blood by Lid
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by VideoGames
DEFCON by Sardonik
Dragon Quest XI by quiggy
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Hidden & Dangerous 2 by Budzilla
Hyper Light Drifter by Muscle Tracer
Kenshi by punk rebel ecks
Kenshi by Ice Phisherman
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
Killer 7 by Incoherence
Marathon by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Metal Gear Solid by TheHoosier
Night Stalker by Shine
Path of Exile by theshim
Pathologic 2 by Mizuti
Perimeter by Sardonik
Prey by Erwin the German
Psychonauts by Jeza
Punch Out!! by Shine
Rain World by f#a#
Rocket League by Shine
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
Streets of Rage 4 by Capital Letdown
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
TIE Fighter by Shine
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine
Wizardry 8 by Chairchucker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I absolutely loved Elden Ring and love that they made it... but oh God I hope we haven't seen the last of Sekiro. It is a fantastic game, has fantastic combat, looks fantastic, and all-in-all it's... well, fantastic!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anachranox by Whybird
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Blades of Exile by Whybird
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Commander Blood by Lid
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by VideoGames
Death Stranding('s truck) by FiveSixKilo
DEFCON by Sardonik
Earthbound by Clockwerk
Final Fantasy 11 by star eater
Final Fantasy 11 by punk rebel ecks
Final Fantasy 14 Part 1 & Part 2 by Heran Bago
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Hollow Knight by The Zombie Guy
Kenshi by Ice Phisherman
Kenshi (mods) by punk rebel ecks
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
Killer 7 by Incoherence
Legend of Zelda 3: A Link to the Past (randomizer) by Konstantin
Legend of Zelda 3/Super Metroid romhack by Feldegast42
Marathon Infinity by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Night Stalker by Shine
Path of Exile by theshim
Pathologic 2 by Mizuti
Perimeter by Sardonik
Prey by Erwin the German
Psychonauts by Jeza
Punch Out!! by Shine
Quake II by imperiusdamian
Rain World by f#a#
Rocket League by Shine
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by Saint Freak
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
TIE Fighter by Shine
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 7, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not really interested in Armor Core, but I am interested in games that FROM make in general so.... maybe?

Mega64 posted:

Done! Hopefully Harrow doesn't mind.

Thanks, although I have of course now gone ahead and edited my post to adjust for what haveblue and Harold Fjord said :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seems about the right time to update the list for the OP:

Anachranox by Whybird
Aquanox (video) by Sardonik
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Blades of Exile by Whybird
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Commander Blood by Lid
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by VideoGames
Death Stranding('s truck) by FiveSixKilo
DEFCON by Sardonik
Earthbound by Clockwerk
Fifth Eskadra by Madurai
Final Fantasy 11 by star eater
Final Fantasy 11 by punk rebel ecks
Final Fantasy 14 Part 1 & Part 2 by Heran Bago
Freespace 2 by MikeC
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Hollow Knight by The Zombie Guy
Kenshi by Ice Phisherman
Kenshi (mods) by punk rebel ecks
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
Killer 7 by Incoherence
Legend of Zelda 3: A Link to the Past (randomizer) by Konstantin
Legend of Zelda 3/Super Metroid romhack by Feldegast42
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals by Captain Invictus
Marathon Infinity by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Mordhau by Gnarly Sheen
Night Stalker by Shine
Path of Exile by theshim
Pathologic 2 by Mizuti
Perimeter by Sardonik
Prey by Erwin the German
Psychonauts by Jeza
Punch Out!! by Shine
Quake II by imperiusdamian
Rain World by f#a#
Rocket League by Shine
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Saints Row 2 by Skios
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by Saint Freak
Soul Sacrifice by free hubcaps
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
Suikoden II by AuroMarshmallow
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
TIE Fighter by Shine
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine
Traffic Department 2197 by Skios
World of Warcraft by GreatGreen
World of Warcraft by Ms Adequate
World of Warcraft by Pikestaff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Runa posted:

Hmm, I was wondering if I ought to save my GOTY 2021Thread write-up for FFXIV in this thread for posterity. It was a bit of a long one.

The answer is ALWAYS :justpost: