Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

aksuur posted:

Don't play the bets in the middle of the board, unless you feel like gambling.

Sans, the iron cross which includes a field bet. My favorite strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

Murmur Twin posted:

Generally speaking, it’s betting on 5/6/8 and then betting on the field every throw. So if you have, say, $10 on 5 and $12 on 6/8, you make a $10 field bet for every throw and:

2/12: win $20 (1 in 18 chance)
3/4/9/10/11: win $10 (7 in 18 chance)
5/6/8: win $4 (7 in 18 chance)
7: lose $44 (3 in 18 chance)

So it feels good because you win money on a majority of rolls, but it’s really hard to cover the ground lost when you seven-out.

I remember when I played the don't alot I use to play the 'reverse' iron cross which I think involved a lay strategy on the 4 / 12 I would have to go back and look at a table to remember how I did it. I went through a pretty long 'don't' phase where I stood in the corner of the table next to the dealers and silently played the don't

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice
I don't have very many crazy craps stories, sadly none that happened to me. I could only dream of a sweet 20 minute roll.

I use to go on a gambling boat back home that would drive off the coast into international water where gambling was legal, and on that boat I saw someone make like 18 grand on the hard 8. He started I think with 50 and someone rolled a hard eight three times in a row. I also saw on that boat, someone win the bet where a shooter has to roll every single number on the dice. Forget the name of that bet. I never liked that bet because it took forever for the dealers to set up and slowed down the game.

I also got misdealt on the field several times at the Paris in Vegas. Paid me probably 150 dollars on the 'no field' 5. Picked it up, and didn't say anything.

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice
Feel like this is pretty important for new / novice players but here is a list of common 'superstitions' and best practices to do/don't do at the craps table that can be considered bad luck and get you dirty looks at the table.

• Do not ever at the table mention: Seven, crap out, Seven out, anything regarding seven. I've seen people mutter "He better not roll a seven here" and the next roll out, seven.
  • In the middle of someone's roll do not play any of the 'any seven' hedge bets, this can throw the shooter off and get you dirty looks. Those bets are trash anyway.
  • Do not buy in during another players roll, wait for him to crap out and then buy in.
  • Do not gloat if you are a don't player, and winning.
  • Set up your dice, but don't take too long rolling them.
  • Don't try to slam the backstop when you roll
  • If the stick man is changing, the next roll is probably going to be a seven.
  • If the shooter throws the dice off the table the next roll is probably going to be a seven.
  • You can turn your bets off at any time, I do this if someone does anything I listed above. Says seven, throws the dice off the table, stickman change etc.
  • Dice settings school, and courses that teach you how to set and throw the dice a certain way are pseudo science. IMHO.
  • If a shooter is hot, try to avoid playing bets that is going to chew up the dealer(s) time and slow the game, and his roll down.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, been a while since I played.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

don't pass bet to shoot, else you'll pass shooter to the next player

Also, I generally find it a professional courtesy if you're a don't player to just pass on shooting the dice.

Fuck My Ass fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 15, 2021

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I enjoy how you called out something as pseudoscience after listing a bunch of superstitions

I've seen more dice setters shoot so many sevens, almost as much as I've seen a seven come out after someone said it at the table.