Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well, we did never feel like this before according to the story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Waiting on a tie breaker here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, we did never feel like this before according to the story...
This, let's be heartfelt.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"I've never felt this way before either."

Evertree posted:

He grins, looking down at your hands clasped together. Then he looks back up and leans forward to kiss you again.

You stay like this for the longest time, coming together and then parting to gaze at one another. Eventually he looks back in the direction of the inn. He is thinking very carefully, as if trying to make up his mind about something. You wait patiently, stroking his fingers with your own, until he says, "I don't want to have to say goodbye to you tomorrow."

Before you can say anything he continues. "I've been thinking about what you said and about how you were able to leave your home and see the Worlds… but my situation is a lot more complicated than that. Mother needs me. There are things about this place that she could never do without me and she could never tell to anyone else."

You know that he's working towards telling you something and you hold his hand gently, waiting for him to find the way.

"There's…" he manages, "something else I want to show you. I just need to fetch something from my room. Will you come with me? We can go back through the kitchen. It should just be Gilly in there and she won't tell."

"You asked me before about this place being cursed. Well… there's something you should know. Mr. Brushgather was talking about two men who disappeared from this inn last month… Only they didn't disappear. They killed each other and I helped mother to cover it up."

You say nothing but hold Lamuel's hand gently in yours while he struggles to find the words for his story.

"It was these two men coming over from Lux. They seemed like trouble the moment they arrived and I noticed things starting to go missing throughout the night. I told mother and we went to confront them only when we opened the door, they were both dead. One of them was beaten to death with the doorstop and the other had been strangled. It looked like they'd done it to each other, fighting over the stuff they'd stolen. Mother said the inn wouldn't survive a scandal like that and so I took them out to the river in the woods and we covered the whole thing up." <Clue 11 updated!>

He stops, staring at you unwaveringly, waiting for your condemnation.

1. "It's okay. We've all done things we're not proud of."
2. "Thank you for telling me."
3. "Your mother shouldn't have asked you to do that."

Stats posted:

Clues
11. Two thieves died at the inn a couple of months ago (one bludgeoned with a wooden doorstop, the other strangled) and Mrs. Dupree and Lamuel covered it up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3 bad mommy

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1, it's cool, what innkeeper hasn't had to deal with some stuff now and then?

That does strike me as some slightly odd causes of death to happen simultaneously though.
-If you're being strangled and trying to escape, wouldn't smashing your attacker over the head with a doorstop that hard likely cause the person to loosen their grip on your throat? At least enough that you can wiggle a little bit to get some oxygen?
-Or, if the door stop wound happened first, would someone with a gaping soon-to-be-fatal head wound actually have the presence of mind and strength left in their body to successfully strangle their killer?

I'm sure it's technically possible...but it does strike me as a point worth investigating further if/when we get the chance.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This is clearly on Laisa, but...

"It's okay. We've all done things we're not proud of."

Evertree posted:

"I don't want to keep any secrets from you," he insists, visibly relieved at your acceptance. "I know we just met but I feel like I really can trust you."

Once again you feel like he's working towards telling you something and you wait patiently for him to find the way.

"There's…" he manages, "something else I want to show you. I just need to fetch something from my room if you'll come with me? We can go back through the kitchen. It should just be Gilly in there and she won't tell."

You could hardly refuse and so you reply,

1. "Lead the way."
2. "Looks like this well might be magical after all."
3. "May I hold your hand as we walk?"

We're about to get to the point where it asks for our theory on what happened, so feel free to get theorising before the game collects all the evidence.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Lead the way"

Evertree posted:

Lamuel says nothing but takes your hand as you wander back towards the inn.

As you reach the house guided by your handsome stableboy you feel a lightness in your chest. You can't explain it but something in his touch feels like it's lifting the weights from your shoulders. The burden of taking care of your father, the fears that you will not be able to make a success of yourself in Lux, the concerns for all the mysteries at this inn, they all seem to lift and you can't help grinning from ear to ear.

But these feelings never last long.

As you walk through the empty kitchen into the staff corridor, you notice that the door at the far end is slightly ajar. Lamuel notices it too and a curiosity furrows his brow.

"That's Gilly and Wen's room," he explains. "They weren't in the kitchen…maybe I'll just go check everything's all right."

The two of you walk down the hallway to the door, Lamuel's hand tightening in yours as he pushes it open.

You both step into the room and stop dead.

On the other side, you find Gilly…

…face down…

…a knife in her back! <Clue 6 updated!>

Stats posted:

Clues
6. The cook has been stabbed with one of the inn's carving knives.

And that's the end of the chapter, so a quick vote on where to put our bonus and I'll break down how we did next update.

1. Combat
2. Guile
3. Perception
4. Magic
5. Little bit of everything

A quick reminder of our current stats:

Stats posted:

Stats
Combat: 35/100
Guile: 18/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 67/100

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 7, 2021

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

${lamuel}'s hand
:thunk:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Guile

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Perception.

We’ll never be stealthy, so let’s double down on our strengths here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I have no idea what you're talking about. Clearly I would never miss changing a variable to the correct value.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Perception

Funktor
May 17, 2009

We are Perceptron, the embodiment of perception.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Funktor posted:

We are Perceptron, the embodiment of perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I would have said Combat, but I guess Perception it is!