Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Bifauxnen posted:

Or an elf named Glangwen Ogg, why copy the character exactly when we can go for higher magic stats and demolish elvish stereotypes!

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ugh, fine. Just as long as you all spit and touch iron.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bifauxnen posted:

Or an elf named Glangwen Ogg, why copy the character exactly when we can go for higher magic stats and demolish elvish stereotypes!

This, but I hope we can choose to be an elven crone or it's a no deal :colbert:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We can headcanon her into having a snaggle-tooth if the thread likes. The elven crone Glangwen Ogg is born.

Time for the most probing inn check-in Glangwen has likely ever experienced.

Evertree posted:

"Glangwen Ogg, can you tell me your sexual preference, please?"

Your eyes widen and the silence causes Mrs. Dupree to look up.

"Oh, don't be so coy," she insists irritably. "Some of our rooms have shared or adjoining facilities and I'll not have any hanky-panky in my establishment."

She seems genuinely serious, so what will you tell her?

1. "I'm interested in men."
2. "I'm interested in women."
3. "I'm an equal opportunist."
4. "I have absolutely no intention of committing any acts of 'hanky-panky'!"

Surprisingly, based on the character, I do think there's an in universe reason that she asks this question, but whether we discover it or not remains to be seen.

She also wants to know if we're packing heat.

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree narrows her eyes at you for some reason as she scrawls your answer into her book. Her eyes flick to the quiver on your back and she asks, "And are you carrying any weapons with you today?"

Like any traveller, you carry a bow for hunting, but you do also carry a melee weapon. What is it?

1. A longsword - simple yet effective, although it does make spellcasting difficult.
2. A spear - an elegant weapon that makes up in versatility what it lacks in strength.
3. A magical staff - a flashy weapon to augment my magical abilities.
4. A dagger - perfect for sneaky attacks if I'm up close.
5. Actually, I don't have a melee weapon.
6. Actually I carry a… (Write in)

Every one of these weapons changes our stats somewhat with one positive and one negative shift, except for the write in which keeps things constant, but does allow you to wield frying pans and similar as effectively as a longsword.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
No preference on the preference question, but I would like to suggest we take a wizard's staff which, as per the song, has a knob on the end

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Young Glangwen Ogg certainly has an open view about the stuff. There's probably a recipe somewhere written with a related pun. 3

A Magical Staff is more of a wizard thing, but I guess I'll allow it. I don't see Glangwen wrestling bad people. 3

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Fat Samurai posted:

Young Glangwen Ogg certainly has an open view about the stuff. There's probably a recipe somewhere written with a related pun. 3

A Magical Staff is more of a wizard thing, but I guess I'll allow it. I don't see Glangwen wrestling bad people. 3

Seconding this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CountryMatters posted:

we take a wizard's staff which, as per the song, has a knob on the end

Can confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQLpBEwAzc

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Our banjo is feared throughout the lands, for good reason.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Honestly, whatever choice that leads to us finding out why an innkeeper would ask about their customer's sexual orientation. I'm intrigued.

Also, keeping with the witch theme, the wizard witch...staff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

limeicebreakers posted:

Honestly, whatever choice that leads to us finding out why an innkeeper would ask about their customer's sexual orientation. I'm intrigued.

It's never explicitly stated, but you can put together a convincing theory based on certain clues that you can gather, or not, later in the game. If we don't find the required stuff in this playthrough, I'll explain my theory at the end.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't think this is going to change, so I'll put this update up now before I go to bed.

Glanwyn carries a witches staff (knob optional) and has a decidedly open view about the ol' hanky-panky. Interestingly, if you say you're not interested in hanky-panky, Laisa likes you more, and then the game asks if you're lying. If you say yes, you can then still choose a preference, otherwise you stay as ace.

Evertree posted:

"Just so long as you don't use it on the premises."

Mrs. Dupree finishes writing in her ledger and then looks up at you with her final question. "So how long are you planning on staying?"

"One night," you reply firmly and with absolute certainty. The city of Lux is only a day away and you can't afford any further delays.

Evertree posted:

You find yourself reflecting on the road that brought you to this moment.

You would not tell any of this to Mrs. Dupree but this journey is more important than any you have ever made. For the first time in two years you feel as though you might have a shot at something better; a shot at the life you thought you were going to live before it all went wrong.

The thought of your past brings an ache to your stomach. In the beginning it was all so full of promise and potential…

1. You were extraordinarily gifted in the magical arts for someone so young.
2. You may have been on the wrong side of the law, but you were making money!
3. A true athlete, you were constantly winning local tournaments and jousts.
4. Growing up in nature taught you how to survive in even the harshest conditions.

Unsurprisingly, this choice changes your stats, with the 1 giving you more magic, 2 giving you more guile, 3 giving you more combat and 4 giving you more perception, but it also sets the place you grew up, which is quite important across the series. This choice is followed by a second choice about what you did in that place, which lets you increase another stat or the same stat further, and sets your career goal. As you all seems to have a pretty defined idea of the character you want to make, I'm going to do this next bit a bit differently than the CYOA does and give you some text from a book you can acquire in Sordwin which has sections on each of the locations, so that you can have a bit more context on the impacts of the choice.

If you're gifted in magic you grew up in Tyr.

Sordwin posted:

The sigil: A Wand and Parchment.

Tyr, also called the Mages' City, is the magical capital of the Empire. It is home to four of the five largest mage academies, including the prestigious Hogarth's Tower. Nestled in the foothills of the Serpentcoil Mountains, the city is a buzzing hive of magical activity. At night it lights up with every colour of the rainbow and unusual weather patterns are frequent. Tyr is a particularly popular tourist destination on account of its famous hot springs, the steam towers of which give the city its distinctive skyline.

Tyr is home to one of the high temples of Yla.

Tyr is also the base of the Syndicate of Shadows, a criminal organisation about which very little is known but whose name is enough to encourage caution when traversing the city at night.

Tyrans have a reputation for being flamboyant.

If you're a criminal you grew up in Blackstone.

Sordwin posted:

The sigil: A Black Watchtower.

Blackstone is named for the watchtower that stands in its centre. Legend tells of how the tower was originally white until a dragon breathed fire upon it and blackened the stone. It is one of the smaller cities in the Empire and although wealthy, it is also very corrupt with crime running rife through all levels of society.

Blackstone is home to one of the high temples of Kin.

Blackstone is particularly famous for its thieves' guild, an organisation that spans the Empire and uses the sigil of a four-armed highwayman. Each arm represents a different branch of the guild's operations—Spying, Stealing, Swindling and Slaying.

Blackstonians have a reputation for being dishonest.

If you're an athlete you grew up in Veyawin.

Sordwin posted:

The sigil: Two Crossed Swords.

Veyawin is a city of champions. It encourages greatness, particularly in physical pursuits, and is constantly hosting tournaments in its two arenas, one for combat and one for athletics. Music is also popular in Veyawin and many successful performers come from there, the most famous being the elven singer, Isaria Evenveil.

Veyawin is home to one of the high temples of Nor.

Veyawin is famous for having one of the most efficient law enforcement institutions in the Empire.

Veyawiners have a reputation for being competitive.

And the survivalists grew up in the village of Flom in the Southern Plains.

Sordwin posted:

The villages in the south range from moderate settlements down to small collections of makeshift homes surrounding watering holes. There is very little to recommend these areas in terms of tourism and trade, but they have many traditions, particularly that of shamanism, a practice which stretches back centuries. Because of the wilderness of the southern plains, villages there have a higher population of half-orcs and brownies than the cities of the north.

There are often shrines to Tay in this part of the Empire.

Citizens of these villages have the reputation for being simple.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Magic.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think gifted in magic is probably the closest fit.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Harsh Conditions so we can go for a druid/shaman/hedge witch thing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Slaan posted:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Gifted in Magic

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Slaan posted:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We are an elf carrying around a wizard staff. We’re clearly gifted in magic.

That also means we “have a reputation for being flamboyant” which hell yes we do!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We fought the law in Blackstone.

Edit: if this is outvoted I'd prefer harsh conditions.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2021

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Let's stir Nanny Ogg up a little. Maybe the harsh conditions taught her practical skills, like making poultrices and carving staves from bark.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I don't see "Have a huge information network via gossip and a small army of extended family", so I guess we'll settle for Magic

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We seem to have a tie between harsh conditions and magic, so the next vote decides it, then I'll put the update up.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Harsh conditions

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Flom it is!

Evertree posted:

The village of Flom was barely even a village at all, more a small collection of makeshift homes on a vast plain in the middle of nowhere. It was out there in the wild that you learned how to live with nature rather than against it. For you and your people, attunement to the environment was a necessity of survival. You had become a keen observer and a patient hunter, but you couldn't hide your desire for something more.

1. You were going to join a temple and spend your days meditating and studying martial arts. (Monk)
2. You were going to become a scout for the Imperial army. (Scout)
3. You planned to study the teachings of your village elders and combine knowledge of nature with magical practices. (Shaman)
4. You were going to leave home and venture out into the wilderness to live on nature alone. (Ranger)

Every starting location has its own set of careers. Here's the Flom set. Given what's been said already, I'm assuming we're going shaman, and I'll go forward with that choice, but if people like any of the other options more we can retcon.

Evertree posted:

It was an ancient tradition in the village, perhaps a dying art, but you had always hoped to follow in the footsteps of your town elders. You spent many hours in deep trances, going out into the plains to meditate among the beasts, and your endeavors did not go unnoticed. You were due to start studying with the elders as soon as you came of age…

Evertree posted:

And then, the fire happened.

You still don't know how it started. It was the night that you became an adult, and while your family had all retired early, you had taken the opportunity to stay out late with your friends and do what all races do once they reach such an age!

But as you returned home, you began to get a feeling that something wasn't right. And then you heard a sound.

It was a cry, which turned into more cries, which turned into screams for help. The black sky was lit up by a hellish red and filled with smoke. Your home was an inferno and the occupants, your mother and father, your two younger siblings; they were all trapped inside!

You had no time to think, no time to consider the risk. You could only act. You leapt through the flames and raced straight for the one member of your family you knew you could never live without…

1. My father.
2. My mother.
3. My sister.
4. My brother.

Technically we can't see our stats for another two choices, but we actually have a statblock now. Here it is:

Stats posted:

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 25/100
Guile: 5/100
Perception: 65/100
Magic: 50/100
Gold: 7
Mana: 100
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Laisa: 20/100
???: 10/100

Clues
1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - ?
4 - ?
5 - ?
6 - ?
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - ?

Our magic stat might seem quite low, but we'll have plenty of opportunity to send it into the stratosphere as we go forwards.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 14, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I confirm shaman would get my choice and we ran to save our wyrd weird sister.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

:same:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Bandwagon ahoy.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That Italian Guy posted:

:bandwagon:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That Italian Guy posted:

Sure, why not?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That looks like a consensus to me. Your career goal is a minor part of Evertree and Sordwin, apart from the stat changes. It takes a more important narrative role in Lux, which perhaps we'll see at some point.

Evertree posted:

You had always been closest to your sister. She was the light of your life, always smiling, but when you found her she could not have been more different.

She screamed for help as she attempted to pull your father free from the burning debris that had fallen onto his leg. You stepped in to help but even with the rubble gone, your father was barely able to walk. You hoisted him onto your shoulder and began to carry him through the burning house.

Your sister was supposed to be right behind you. You were practically outside when you looked back to check that she was still there, but she was nowhere to be seen. The house came crashing down behind you and it was all over.

You and your father were the only survivors.

You never manage to save the family member you try to. If you try to save your sister, your father suvives, as we can see. If you try to save your father your sister survives. If you try to save your mother, your brother survives and if your brother, your mother.

This leaves us with one last question in character creation before we can begin the game proper.

Evertree posted:

After that you had to give up on your old plans. Your father had survived but his injuries had left him unable to walk and so it fell to you to take care of him. You could no longer go off chasing your dreams, and though you missed your little sister more than you could say, there was no time to grieve. You had to step up and become responsible. You had lost everything in the fire, and without any other relatives, you were out on the streets with no money and no shelter. You spent a gruelling two years doing whatever it took to survive, many things of which you were not proud. You began to build some sort of a life among the poor of Flom until finally an opportunity came your way, a chance to escape the poverty and perhaps get back the life you had wanted before the fire.

The reason you were passing by Evertree Inn was to get to the port city of Lux.

The reason you were going to Lux was…

1. To seek employment as a bodyguard.
2. To try to earn a magical scholarship.
3. To get work on a merchant vessel and head out to sea.
4. To rob from the richest snobs in the Empire!

As of the last choice, we now also have a backstory.

Evertree posted:

Backstory
You grew up in Flom, the oldest of three in a family of elves. Comfortable living alongside nature, your true goal in life was always to become a dedicated shaman.

When a fire destroyed your family home, you and your father were the only survivors. You were forced to start all over again, living on the streets. It all seemed so hopeless until you learned of an opportunity in a far off city, a chance to get your life back on track.

And so with nothing to your name but your pony, your trusty staff, and your keen instincts, you set off on the road to Lux, and that is how you came to arrive at Evertree Inn. It seemed as good a place as any to stop for the night….

Ending:
Check back here at The End.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 14, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I would like to become a magical shamanistic pirate (3) although I'm fine with a magical scholarship (2) as a backup.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

But have you considered using totems to beat the wealth out of rich fucks real sneaky-like ?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Why not all? Get a magical scholarship so we can be a wizard bodyguard to a pirate stealing from rich snobs

Scholarship

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So, did we just abandon our poor, lame father to go off and have an adventure?

Anyway, Magic

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

We wanted orange-sister, it gave us lemon-father.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've been checking the free version on the web and I expect Laisa to be scandalised with the amount of hanky, and sometimes panky, going on on her establishment.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyway, Magic

we used shaman magic to heal him

so voting more magic

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Magic solves everything, and with that chargen is complete.

Evertree posted:

The merchant lord Luca Imperion was offering vast sums of money to any mages who would come to work for him as researchers into new magical techniques. The exact nature of the work was vague, but the pay was excellent and the chance to improve your own magical understanding was too good an offer to pass up. The journey to Lux would not be an easy one, however, and so, leaving your father back in Flom in the safe hands of a few trusted friends, you packed your bags and set out to turn your life around…

"Ma'am"?

Evertree posted:

"Ma'am?"

You snap out of your recollections to see Mrs. Dupree holding out her wonderful, blue quill for you to sign the ledger. As you do so she starts to explain a little more about that for which you are signing.

"It's 2 gold pieces for the room, breakfast included. Dinner tonight is an additional 1 gold piece. Serving is in an hour, listen for the gong, and that will be in the room to the right here." She gestures to your left. "The menu tonight is a game stew with mixed vegetables and a flagon of ale. It's one of our cook's specialities."

She turns around to grab a key and then passes it to you.

"Your room will be number 1. It's at the top of the stairs and then all the way round and along, on the right, opposite the…"

She stops, seeing your dazed expression.

Evertree posted:

"Ah! Let me get you a map, that will be easier," She reaches for a box that must have once contained maps but is now empty.

"Hmm…" She looks around at the rest of the desk and then grabs a blank piece of scrap paper onto which she sketches a rough layout of the ground and upper floor of the building, revealing that the upstairs has a total of six rooms. The downstairs has a dining room, located through the door to your left, as well as a kitchen, larder, and three more rooms which must belong to Mrs. Dupree and the staff. It's not a big place, and the layout is not nearly as complicated as Mrs. Dupree was making it sound, but still you take the map and put it in your pocket.

"Right then," Mrs. Dupree finishes. "Keep the noise down, keep out of other people's business, and above all, have a nice and relaxing night here at Evertree. Now before you head up to your room, is there anything else I can help you with?"

Do you have any further questions for Mrs. Dupree?

1. "How long has Evertree Inn been open?"
2. "Your rooms are very cheap. Is there a sale on?"
3. "I don't suppose anyone could give me a hand with my bags."
4. "Are there many other guests staying here?"
5. "What should I do about my pony?"

We can ask as many or as few of these questions as we like, so vote for the ones you want me to ask and any that get over 50% of people asking for, I'll ask. A couple of them have follow ups, so if we ask those, I'll put it back to you to see if you want to ask any of those. This isn't the kind of game where you want to ask everything, because if you think asking a specific question to a person will make them like you less, it probably will. There's one last out-of-game LP question that I need to ask at this point. Do you want me to ask the questions we've decided on in the mechanically optimal order for us figuring things out, or do you want me to do it in the order of votes? Either way, I can also explain how the mechanically optimal order would have been/was better.

From this point on, now we've finished chargen, I'll be dropping the rate of updates to one every one to two days rather than a couple a day. But they'll have more mechanical detail, and I'll start showing the stat changes from each of our choices, even though the game doesn't explicitly. I will only update our statblock at the end of conversations though, because, due to follow ups, a lot of the updates will correspond to points that don't actually exist in game because you have to have asked some other questions before you can get there.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been checking the free version on the web and I expect Laisa to be scandalised with the amount of hanky, and sometimes panky, going on on her establishment.

Hah. If you've got to chapter 2, you'll see that that chapter specifically is going to be tricky to LP. I've been trying to work to what's the best way to handle it. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, if anyone else is interested in trying out the demo, it's available here.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I'd like you to ask questions 5, 2 and 4.

Regarding the order, I would like an explanation on what the mechanical effect would be (I guess certain questions may change how much the person we're talking with likes us? and maybe we can offend someone enough to make them not want to talk to us anymore?)