Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

With Invincible on Amazon Prime, that series is on my mind again, and I went back and reread the first two volumes, and something stuck out to me.

So, Kirkman's talked about how he pitched his Walking Dead comic to the publisher as "look, it's gonna be zombies at first, but then we're gonna reveal the twist that they're actually the first invasion wave for aliens!", and then when he told them that he lied about that after the sales figures came in, they laughed all the way to the bank about it. Paraphrased, but still.

I'm wondering if that's something like what he did with Invincible? Because, y'know, the thing that happens- Omni-Man killing the Global Guardians- happens after the first few issues of what appears to be a perfectly normal, kinda goofy superhero series. D'you think he had a plan to write a more straightforward story if the sales had been strong enough, or had the plan been the twist all along, and his real talent was just rolling his plot in whatever direction fit the tone of things? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

I don't think Kirkman plans more than a single arc ahead of time.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

The original plan was for the twist to come up a couple years in, but sales were waning so the reveal got pushed forward.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inkspot posted:

The original plan was for the twist to come up a couple years in, but sales were waning so the reveal got pushed forward.

Personally I would have much rather Invincible and Kirkman's career had died in obscurity

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It was a good comic at first, but then it just didn't stop, which seems to be a problem with Kirkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

So I'm interested in this but there's concerns about the packaging and image quality in the reviews. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07VGLHCJC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1NFYUP9OOHACP&psc=1