Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
With Invincible on Amazon Prime, that series is on my mind again, and I went back and reread the first two volumes, and something stuck out to me.

So, Kirkman's talked about how he pitched his Walking Dead comic to the publisher as "look, it's gonna be zombies at first, but then we're gonna reveal the twist that they're actually the first invasion wave for aliens!", and then when he told them that he lied about that after the sales figures came in, they laughed all the way to the bank about it. Paraphrased, but still.

I'm wondering if that's something like what he did with Invincible? Because, y'know, the thing that happens- Omni-Man killing the Global Guardians- happens after the first few issues of what appears to be a perfectly normal, kinda goofy superhero series. D'you think he had a plan to write a more straightforward story if the sales had been strong enough, or had the plan been the twist all along, and his real talent was just rolling his plot in whatever direction fit the tone of things? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think Kirkman plans more than a single arc ahead of time.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The original plan was for the twist to come up a couple years in, but sales were waning so the reveal got pushed forward.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inkspot posted:

The original plan was for the twist to come up a couple years in, but sales were waning so the reveal got pushed forward.

Personally I would have much rather Invincible and Kirkman's career had died in obscurity

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It was a good comic at first, but then it just didn't stop, which seems to be a problem with Kirkman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I'm interested in this but there's concerns about the packaging and image quality in the reviews. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07VGLHCJC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1NFYUP9OOHACP&psc=1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vincent posted:

It was a good comic at first, but then it just didn't stop, which seems to be a problem with Kirkman.
Oh man did it EVER not stop.

You have MAJOR STORY SPOILERS INCOMING
the Onmi Man reveal, Mark hooking up with the Teen Guardians, some guy reanimating dudes as Canon fodder, Mark fighting with the US Gov, Robot being a weirdo 8chan Founder Gremlin, Robot getting a sexy teen clone body, Robot and Monster Gal getting stuck in the Lunkhead Dimension and MonsterGal going Poly on him, some brain dude that won't stop until Mark is dead, Atom Eve getting pregnant then kinda losing her powers, OmniMan turning a planet of BugPeople into a breeding ground, Mark getting Raped.... God almighty

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Omni Man only banged one bug. Thragg used the planet to breed disposable soldiers

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If the new thread title is too spoilery by some odd chance let me know, but I laughed too long and too loud at that post to let it slip away.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Oh man did it EVER not stop.

You have MAJOR STORY SPOILERS INCOMING
the Onmi Man reveal, Mark hooking up with the Teen Guardians, some guy reanimating dudes as Canon fodder, Mark fighting with the US Gov, Robot being a weirdo 8chan Founder Gremlin, Robot getting a sexy teen clone body, Robot and Monster Gal getting stuck in the Lunkhead Dimension and MonsterGal going Poly on him, some brain dude that won't stop until Mark is dead, Atom Eve getting pregnant then kinda losing her powers, OmniMan turning a planet of BugPeople into a breeding ground, Mark getting Raped.... God almighty

I don't want to come off like I'm defending Kirkman's shortcomings as a storyteller, but I feel like you could make a list like this just as easily for Spider-Man, if not easier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Omni Man only banged one bug. Thragg used the planet to breed disposable soldiers

I mean it's an accurate account of the events

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

Has InStockTrades just become really slow to ship orders? It took about 3 weeks to get something over Xmas (understandable) and my latest order has been "waiting to process" for a week so far.

I'm sure they're running on a skeleton crew, but I'd hate to have to go back to Amazon if I need something in a timely manner (this was a gift that I'm probably going to not get in time).

Update on this: order placed 3/25, shipping label created 4/2, actually shipped 4/13 after emailing them and complaining (didn't get a response to my email), will probably get delivered on Monday. I'm a patient person, but I'm super not happy about this.

Any other decent trade sellers out there not run by chuds?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped reading Invincible somewhere around issue 70 I believe and I think I'll eventually pick it back up. I didn't dislike it, I just kind of lost track of it. The gore is a bit off putting at times but it's not a total dealbreaker to me. I did finish Tech Jacket and Astounding Wolf-Man and I think both of those are way better books though and I'm sad they never hit the same level of success as Invincible or Walking Dead. That being said the best thing I've ever read by Kirkman was easily Super Dinosaur. I loved that book.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey everyone, I have a doctorate now so please let me know if you need a prescription... for comics and fun

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Congratulations!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey everyone, I have a doctorate now so please let me know if you need a prescription... for comics and fun

What can you prescribe me for this uncontrollable hate of John Byrne?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Xanax?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that one of the new Hickman books?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

How Wonderful! posted:

What can you prescribe for good upbeat comics?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Are you in a legal medicinal weed state

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Bad Machinery, Giant Days.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

You've already sworn revenge on the person who had the dorm room next to you, right?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Madkal posted:

I've been re-reading Assassination Classroom and it has some really feel-good stories, even if the basic premise is that students want to kill their teacher because they think the world will end if they don't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

Laid Back Camp is a very nice story about how it's fun to go camping in the winter

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

How wonderful Dr. Wonderful

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How Wonderful! posted:

Congrats! :neckbeard:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As a comic book fan, I understand that a doctorate means you can prescribe drugs, invent rayguns, identify ancient artefacts and fly spaceships. Oh, and fight crime on the side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

As a comic book fan, I understand that a doctorate means you can prescribe drugs, invent rayguns, identify ancient artefacts and fly spaceships. Oh, and fight crime on the side.

And also time travel

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

And honestly, Dr Wonderful is a solid hero name

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

And honestly, Dr Wonderful is a solid hero name

Sounds like a golden age character that get a weird reboot from Grant Morrison or Alan Moore.

Edit: Or Tom King.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1384190303641358338?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Edit: Or Tom King.
:negative:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chatting today someone mentioned 'Does Superman ever take a day off' and it reminded me of _____ who never stops and has a constant relay of super jobs needing doing beamed to him. I read the books years back but the name escapes me?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Chatting today someone mentioned 'Does Superman ever take a day off' and it reminded me of _____ who never stops and has a constant relay of super jobs needing doing beamed to him. I read the books years back but the name escapes me?

The Samaritan from Astro City. It's the basis of the very first issue

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Chatting today someone mentioned 'Does Superman ever take a day off'

There's a good line in, I think, Red Son where Superman says something along the lines of "if you heard someone begging for help, could ignore it?" with regards to his super hearing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gaz-L posted:

The Samaritan from Astro City. It's the basis of the very first issue

That's the one thankyou; I knew it was S-something, I was Sentry, Sentinel..?

edit: huh, I just read #1 of the 2005 Sentry run and maybe it was this instead? He has a constant stream of tasks being passed over by his robot admin, CLOC.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 20, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That's the one thankyou; I knew it was S-something, I was Sentry, Sentinel..?

edit: huh, I just read #1 of the 2005 Sentry run and maybe it was this instead? He has a constant stream of tasks being passed over by his robot admin, CLOC.

Could be both. It's a nice way to show that your Superman type character is a Superman type character.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Greetings, just something that I thought might be interesting for any fine folks here to consider. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/schnumn/sensory-life-on-the-spectrum

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm currently re-reading Green Lantern Corps from Recharge all the way through the Tomasi run (debating whether I will do the Bedard stuff when I get there) and I forgot what a great run the book was. I am getting up to Blackest Night now which I remember not really liking much but I will probably re-read it with this run like I did with Sinestro Corps War which really holds up well. I'm not reading Johns' Lantern run though even though there is some crossover with Corps mentioning events in Green Lantern but not enough to distracts. I really am digging the characters and Rayner is getting his due (as is Gardner). The book is giving me the warm feels though and I might pick up the new Green Lantern stuff now if it is just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any of you read that Rise and Fall of Stan Lee book?

Also this sounds good

https://aux.avclub.com/a-comics-ico...9644.1615754795

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 29, 2021