Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Jones didn't start writing JLE until after the Giffen-DeMatteis run, so that's not it. They've just started collecting the comics and stopping a couple of volumes in multiple times now.

Jones started co-writing JLE with Giffen with #14, while Giffen and DeMatteis were still writing JLA concurrently. "Breakdowns" ended after JLA #60 (Dan Jurgens took over with JLA #61) and JLE #36 (Jones wrote it himself starting with #37). Apparently he stayed on JLE (which was renamed JLI with #51) until the penultimate issue, #67. Then he took over writing JLA from Dan Vado with #0 and then #93-113, when it ended for Grant Morrison's JLA relaunch in 1997.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

Lord it feels awkward having gotten a copy of one of his books for Christmas this year(I had put it on my Amazon Christmas wishlist years ago before that whole mess happened and I had forgotten it was still on there, and my mom bought it as one of my presents this year)

I remember going from "why won't DC collect Green Lantern: Mosaic" to "I hope DC never collects Green Lantern: Mosaic"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Oh man, I didn’t know that about Jones until now. The first comic series I ever had on my pull list was Justice League International. That era really doesn’t hold up well but I always had a nostalgic soft spot for it. His subsequent JLA run was the worst justice league run ever though and he got pretty perverted with Fire and Ice Maiden.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Oh man, I didn’t know that about Jones until now. The first comic series I ever had on my pull list was Justice League International. That era really doesn’t hold up well but I always had a nostalgic soft spot for it. His subsequent JLA run was the worst justice league run ever though and he got pretty perverted with Fire and Ice Maiden.

Not sure if it was an issue written by him for sure, but now got me remembering an issue of JLI that involved a teen runaway crashing at League HQ and she raids Fire's closet for an outfit that is definitely a bit suspect from a run written by a pedophile

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The latest episode of Teen Titans Go directly references the Lex Luthor 40 cakes panel.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

muscles like this! posted:

The latest episode of Teen Titans Go directly references the Lex Luthor 40 cakes panel.

That's terrible.

:newlol:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So DC Universe rebrands later this week and one of the big differences is that they're adding more imprints like Vertigo, Black Label and Milestone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

So DC Universe rebrands later this week and one of the big differences is that they're adding more imprints like Vertigo, Black Label and Milestone.

Oh poo poo, if they add the big Vertigo books that would be amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, if they add the big Vertigo books that would be amazing.

Ex Machina, Preacher, V for Vendetta and Lucifer have been announced. I seriously doubt they'll do Sandman though. That poo poo probably sells too well.

Edit: Also Hellblazer is in

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 19, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's already some Black Label stuff on it, and some weird random Wildstorm and ABC books. By sheer virtue of DC being more aggressive in gobbling up indie stuff and actively trying to be in that marketplace a DC library app/service has the potential to be more interesting that Marvel Unlimited.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

There's already some Black Label stuff on it, and some weird random Wildstorm and ABC books. By sheer virtue of DC being more aggressive in gobbling up indie stuff and actively trying to be in that marketplace a DC library app/service has the potential to be more interesting that Marvel Unlimited.

True, like 99% of the reason someone would do Marvel Unlimited is if they're going to try for one of the variations of the challenge to read through everything in the main continuity from Fantastic Four #1 onwards

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Found this at my parents house. I think I got it with the first Sandman TPB?

Popped it in and it's just a Flash launcher that shows the first three pages of hundreds of books with purchasing information and makes a sound when mousing over every interactive element. Sweet!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Uthor posted:

Popped it in and it's just a Flash launcher that shows the first three pages of hundreds of books with purchasing information and makes a sound when mousing over every interactive element. Sweet!

Yeah a similar disc came with my copy of Kingdom Come back in like 2004

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Legion read-through update: another time skip and the Legion is disbanded and scattered story? I swear it's like every person who comes on board has the exact same idea as a starting point.

The villain of Legion Lost was obvious and I'm really not appreciating the "everything is bleak as gently caress" approach that Abnett and Lanning have. It's very 2000's DC: things were lighthearted so now it's time to brutally murder and/or turn into a villain any character who is happy to prove how serious and real things are.

Also, it's getting hard to make sure I'm following the stories correctly again because nothing is stable. I think I've got my current block sorted with Legion Lost to Legion Worlds to The Legion with a few specials mixed in. After that things are going to get really messy. And apparently Legion was a big part of Countdown so I might be damned to read that series...

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Random Stranger posted:

And apparently Legion was a big part of Countdown so I might be damned to read that series...

And it was terrible. And insulting. But hey it was Countdown so who is surprised by that really?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far the goofiest thing about DC Infinite is how they have a section on "The World of Watchmen" but don't actually have Watchmen on the service at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They also made a big stink about Arkham Asylum and I don't think they have Serious House On Serious Earth on there?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been going through as much of the older issues of Marvel comics as I can on marvel Unlimited and I've just finished Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 which has the Avengers, Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel take on Thanos. It's a great two parter and has strong seeds for the Infinity Gauntlet event that would happen 14 years later. The art in it is great the ending is pretty decent though it was a little surprising.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

I've been going through as much of the older issues of Marvel comics as I can on marvel Unlimited and I've just finished Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 which has the Avengers, Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel take on Thanos. It's a great two parter and has strong seeds for the Infinity Gauntlet event that would happen 14 years later. The art in it is great the ending is pretty decent though it was a little surprising.

The thing is, those annuals are actually the end of Jim Starlin's Warlock series. The ending when Warlock is there and a second Warlock shows up and goes, "I'm gonna eat my soul now," was seen from the other side in the original series. And of course, Thanos in that is a direct extension of his behavior in Captain Marvel in Starlin's run.

Jim Starlin might be the only creator to do the "I'm carrying my storyline through five different series across two decades!" well. Okay, it's fine to stop after Infinity Gauntlet...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is, those annuals are actually the end of Jim Starlin's Warlock series. The ending when Warlock is there and a second Warlock shows up and goes, "I'm gonna eat my soul now," was seen from the other side in the original series. And of course, Thanos in that is a direct extension of his behavior in Captain Marvel in Starlin's run.

Jim Starlin might be the only creator to do the "I'm carrying my storyline through five different series across two decades!" well. Okay, it's fine to stop after Infinity Gauntlet...

It was pretty cool to see things in those issues and and think "oh I remember reading that."

I wonder if back then people thought that would be it for Pip, Gamora and Warlock.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

I think it was brought up in another thread, but I also found a copy of the Freedom Force video game. Don't remember much about it, should install it when I get home.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I think it was brought up in another thread, but I also found a copy of the Freedom Force video game. Don't remember much about it, should install it when I get home.

Remember when Marvel was shutting down Freedom Force fansites for having skins for Marvel characters?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Uthor posted:

i can attest that as of 5-10 years ago, you could still dig around and find a lot of models and skins for it, if the create-a-hero bits appeal to you

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just wanted to say I’m mad at Vulpes for not telling us something he couldn’t tell us until it was announced today: He’s going to be writing the new Magic The Gathering book for Boom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just wanted to say I’m mad at Vulpes for not telling us something he couldn’t tell us until it was announced today: He’s going to be writing the new Magic The Gathering book for Boom.

Cool, is that his first non-Marvel work?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Better not be about that nerd Jace Beleren! :colbert:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's not! It's about Kaya, Vraska and Ral!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, I guess. (I joke, Ral's cool, but I tend to play W B and G way more than Izzet)

Edit: Oh, I just realised all 5 colours are represented with those 3!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does it tie into the games story, or is it its own thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/thedeluxedition/status/1352442337289510913?s=20

Why on earth is the cover from a completely different run decades later with completely different writer and artist than what's in the book.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Marvel for some reason likes to have the "standard" omnis use new cover art, particularly for classic comics. It may be bonus jobs for various artists, or maybe they think the classic covers won't stand out to the modern audience (who is also willing to shell out a lot of $$ for older-looking comics). But they typically have a direct market variant with classic covers:

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul200678/moon-knight-omnibus-hc-vol-01-sienkiewicz-dm-var

in pre-covid days IST would usually sell the "regular" style for half off and the DM for 42% off so I have a bit of a mix on covers because I'm a cheapass and honestly how often will I look at the covers (vs the spine). Covid has "fixed" this because the 50% days appear to have ended.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Marvel for some reason likes to have the "standard" omnis use new cover art, particularly for classic comics. It may be bonus jobs for various artists, or maybe they think the classic covers won't stand out to the modern audience (who is also willing to shell out a lot of $$ for older-looking comics). But they typically have a direct market variant with classic covers:

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul200678/moon-knight-omnibus-hc-vol-01-sienkiewicz-dm-var

in pre-covid days IST would usually sell the "regular" style for half off and the DM for 42% off so I have a bit of a mix on covers because I'm a cheapass and honestly how often will I look at the covers (vs the spine). Covid has "fixed" this because the 50% days appear to have ended.

well this was 80 bucks I didn't need to spend, but I love moon knight

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Open Marriage Night posted:

Does it tie into the games story, or is it its own thing?

It's its own thing. Wizards is pretty keen to establish media spinoffs as separate continuities, so whatever happens in my comic won't affect the game story, and vice versa.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In which some one tries to mansplain Deadpool to Gail Simone.

https://twitter.com/bucky_butler91/status/1353140916597514242?s=20

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Skwirl posted:

In which some one tries to mansplain Deadpool to Gail Simone.

https://twitter.com/bucky_butler91/status/1353140916597514242?s=20

I don't know. That doesn't really come off as mansplaining to me. Just sounds like he's stating a fact.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

the guy from Semisonic posted:

I don't know. That doesn't really come off as mansplaining to me. Just sounds like he's stating a fact.

It's also, why the gently caress would you tell Gail Simone that Deadpool only got popular with later writers, she's one of those later writers.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Again, it reads to me like the guy is just speaking to the wind. Deadpool would have been a nothing character if not for later writers, Gail Simone being one of them. Seems like a fuss being made over nothing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, the guy is autistic and clarified his tweet. Gail seems cool with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read the first issue of Harleen and it is funny in that even though it is on DC’s “mature” label they still have some arbitrary rules. Like you can say gently caress as a swear but you aren’t allowed to use it to refer to actually having sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't they recall one of the titles really early on because you saw Batman's dong in one panel?